• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 16 |OT| Nobody goes 8-8 like the Buffalo Bills!

dionysus

Yaldog
5.3/3.4 TD/INT rates. Yeah. Cutler is a huge problem, especially as one of the highest paid players in football.

His guaranteed money is sunk cost. So he is a valuable player considering the marginal salary you have to pay him over the guaranteed money/cap hit.

Getting a QB in the draft is what, at best a 30% success rate to even get an average starter for 1st rounders.

And TD/INT rate is partly a function of having to force the ball to come back from behind and long 3rd downs. On a better team his INTs go down.

To replace Cutler just isn't worth it. It is a something a bad organization would do to scapegoat a player who has always been unpopular with the media and fanbases wherever he has been.

Crisco

Banned
It's kinda hard to fairly evaluate Cutler's play given the shit show of a team that he's on, but still, with Forte and those receivers there is no reason that offense shouldn't put up 30 a game. They'd still lose due to their shit D, but there is no excuse for the offenses failures and Cutler should take the lion's share of the blame for that.

And no, the Bears should absolutely not draft a QB. The conventional wisdom to draft a QB when your team is shit should be scrapped, unless there is an Andrew Luck level talent available (so almost never). Build a dominant defense and running game first, then start trying to plug in QBs until someone sticks. Much better path success than playing the QB lottery, especially in the first round.

eznark

Banned
Sure, he'all probably figure it all out at 32. Makes sense.

Maybe there is a gm fuckdumb enough to believe that.

Zeke

Seriously, if they cut Cutler who are they going to get that is better? Cutler isn't the problem.
Seriously? Cutler is hot garbage, he's qualified to be a backup at most not a starter. I agree with ez bears need to go into full rebuild mode. Bears need to bite the shitsandwich and giver Cutler a bag of sugar cookies and let him be on his way.

Respect

Bears just need to grab a QB in the 2nd or 3rd and have him sit while Cutler burns off his contract.

Live footage of Cutler fleecing the bears organization:

seinfled.gif

zychi

Banned
Fellow b&b listener here.

The idiocy on that station is spreading to GAF? Ugh.

Fans will love to watch that product

Game was sold out on Monday. People stayed the entire time. Bears apparel is still selling like hotcakes.

Idiot fans, who listen to idiots on the Score.

Talking over press conferences like they're Mystery Science Theater. Let me take their opinions seriously as they choke each other in the booth.

Fuck outta here

His guaranteed money is sunk cost. So he is a valuable player considering the marginal salary you have to pay him over the guaranteed money/cap hit.

Getting a QB in the draft is what, at best a 30% success rate to even get an average starter for 1st rounders.

And TD/INT rate is partly a function of having to force the ball to come back from behind and long 3rd downs. On a better team his INTs go down.

To replace Cutler just isn't worth it. It is a something a bad organization would do to scapegoat a player who has always been unpopular with the media and fanbases wherever he has been.

That's how i see it, ride it out with Jay but devote your time training up a new class and have them peak by the time he's gone or on his last decent year. He still has a freaking arm after all.

What Pete and John did in Seattle was clean house then built up the 3 rookie class together. So all the guys are the same age and peaked all at the same time. Your Earl, Sherm, Wagner, Kam, Baldwin,Bruce, Russell (both of them), wright, smith etc ..

Then start filling the holes with veterans after the season. For example after the Atlanta loss they filled DE with Avril, and Bennett and lucked out that Bennett does both DE and DT.

Colasante

Pretty bummed to see Dominique Easley placed on injured reserve, especially after the Ravens just signed Casey Walker from the practice squad. And to put Easley on to sign a blocking tight end in Steve Maneri is insult to injury. I still have high hopes for Easley, since this was a quasi-redshirt season for him coming off a torn ACL.

Mrbob

What GM is going to be there to rebuild the Bears? Better not be Phil Emery. He is the dope who gave Cutler a 3 year guaranteed deal instead of using the franchise tag. He is also the one who chose Marc Trestman over Bruce Arians. If Emery stays I have zero faith in any sort of rebuild. He needs to get launched as well.

Tamanon

Banned
What GM is going to be there to rebuild the Bears? Better not be Phil Emery. He is the dope who gave Cutler a 3 year guaranteed deal instead of using the franchise tag. He is also the one who chose Marc Trestman over Bruce Arians. If Emery stays I have zero faith in any sort of rebuild. He needs to get launched as well.

I hear John Idzik will be available soon.

Mindlog

get back McCown
This is their best move. They should pull the trigger now when the getting is good. Let's face reality. Tampa isn't going anywhere and all of McCown's troubles are with that terrible coaching staff and non-existent offensive line. McCown has real talent and with some good receivers he could easily pick up where he left off in Chicago.

Go Da Bears!

eznark

Banned
Given the talent level on that team Cutlers money should be irrelevant since there is no excuse for them to get near the cap. Gut and build via draft.

Or sign washed up shitheaps like Allen and keep getting pissed on by the Packers. I'm cool with that too.

Pretty bummed to see Dominique Easley placed on injured reserve, especially after the Ravens just signed Casey Walker from the practice squad. And to put Easley on to sign a blocking tight end in Steve Maneri is insult to injury. I still have high hopes for Easley, since this was a quasi-redshirt season for him coming off a torn ACL.

Dat excellent Patriots drafting

Fox318

You can have Idzik

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
It's kinda hard to fairly evaluate Cutler's play given the shit show of a team that he's on, but still, with Forte and those receivers there is no reason that offense shouldn't put up 30 a game. They'd still lose due to their shit D, but there is no excuse for the offenses failures and Cutler should take the lion's share of the blame for that.

And no, the Bears should absolutely not draft a QB. The conventional wisdom to draft a QB when your team is shit should be scrapped, unless there is an Andrew Luck level talent available (so almost never). Build a dominant defense and running game first, then start trying to plug in QBs until someone sticks. Much better path success than playing the QB lottery, especially in the first round.

No it isn't. Cutler is easy to evaluate. Misses easy reads. Misses easy throws. Veers away from what the offense is designed to do. Add in the obvious lack of leadership and the Bears completely fucked themselves. Seriously, they should have kept McCown. He doesn't have the same physical tools, but he played well with the same talent.

zychi

Banned
The fact that everyone doesn't realize this is Cutler's best year statistically makes me sad. Yes fumbles and and INTs are bad, but when Santonio Holmes and a rookie are running the wrong routes, and the ball is being tipped to a saftey everytime Martellus touches the ball(an issue he had in DAL and NY) not much you can do.

Allowing 29,2 points a game is not going to let you win. I don't care if you're 16-0 Pats, you can't give up that many points every game. Letting your QB get sacked 7 times in a game because your coach can't make offensive adjustments is a joke. Jordan Mills is a bum.

31st in pass yard allowed
32nd in points allowed
20th in TOs(would be better if Tillman was healthy)
20th in rush yards allowed

But hey, the best QB the Bears have ever had statistically is the problem.

eznark

Banned
The fact that everyone doesn't realize this is Cutler's best year statistically makes me sad. Yes fumbles and and INTs are bad, but when Santonio Holmes and a rookie are running the wrong routes, and the ball is being tipped to a saftey everytime Martellus touches the ball(an issue he had in DAL and NY) not much you can do.

Allowing 29,2 points a game is not going to let you win. I don't care if you're 16-0 Pats, you can't give up that many points every game. Letting your QB get sacked 7 times in a game because your coach can't make offensive adjustments is a joke. Jordan Mills is a bum.

32nd in points allowed

I'd say 2008 was his best year personally. And being the "best Bears QB in history" isn't praise.

32nd in points allowed

But watch him play. I don't care what the stats say. He had a 0 rating at halftime of the saints gand and it was essentially over. Then he racks up a couple tds in garbage time and his numbers look kinda sorta ok. Samething the week before

zychi

Banned
But watch him play. I don't care what the stats say. He had a 0 rating at halftime of the saints gand and it was essentially over. Then he racks up a couple tds in garbage time and his numbers look kinda sorta ok. Samething the week before

Having no time to throw will do that to a QB. Ask the Texans QBs, ask anyone besides Andrew Luck

You can't allow your QB to be sacked 7 times. You should be able to establish something of a run game. Yet the Bears can't.

Mrbob

32nd in points allowed

Leading the league in turnovers, getting stats in garbage time. Dude is amazing. Have to give you credit though. You stayed on the Cutler train all season without jumping off.

32nd in points allowed

:kas argument

Tamanon

Banned

32nd in points allowed

9TEaodA.gif

zychi

Banned
Leading the league in turnovers, getting stats in garbage time. Dude is amazing. Have to give you credit though. You stayed on the Cutler train all season without jumping off.

Do you actually watch the games?

Fumbles in the pocket because his line can't block. 7 sacks on Monday.

First pick was off Martellus' hands
Second was Marquis Wilson failing to adjust to the ball on the deep ball. Great adjustment made by Warren.
Third was a great play by Warren when Alshon slowed down.

There are other players on the field you know. Defensive players can make great plays.

ACE 1991

So, not knowing much about the Colts this season other than the fact that they have a strong record, how should I adjust my expectations going into their game against Dallas? As an Eagles fan, this is a critical game for the Birds in terms of our playoff chances.

Mrbob

I feel like I'm being trolled by Zychi right now but I'm not certain. Or does Bears Age have their very own Kas?

zychi

Banned
So, not knowing much about the Colts this season other than the fact that have a strong record, how should I adjust my expectations going into their game against Dallas? As an Eagles fan, this is a critical game for the Birds in terms of our playoff chances.

It all depends which offense the Colts show up with. If they're on, they should crush Dallas' D, if they're off. It'll be a close game. because both teams defenses should get lit up by the other teams QBs

I feel like I'm being trolled by Zychi right now but I'm not certain. Or does Bears Age have their very own Kas?

Like most people who try to talk football, when you bring up what actually occurs on the play, they go DUH YOU TROLLIN it was CUTLERS FAULT CUZ DEE ANNOUNCER SAID SO, what's cover 2 mean?

Film doesn't lie.

Colasante

I wasn't a fan of drafting a player with no knees? He didn't tear another one did he?

No, I think he's fine, this is just one of those late season IRs from the Patriots when they feel like the player won't be healthy enough to help them in the playoffs, like with Brandon Spikes last year. They might as well get him fully healthy and trending upward for 2015.

Top Bottom