• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 16 |OT| Nobody goes 8-8 like the Buffalo Bills!

Here in Denver, some radio host (Former Bronco) was saying it's time for Jay Redux in Denver once Peyton retires. Needless to say, most of the city thinks he's an idiot.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
NFC North Predictions from a variety of media outlets:

ESPN:

Packers: 12-4
Bears: 10-6
Lions: 8-8
Vikings: 7-9

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/tag/_/name/2014-nfl-nation-season-predictions-nfc

NFL.com

Judy Battista: Green Bay Packers.
Brian Billick: Chicago Bears. On paper, the Bears have the best-looking offensive unit in football.
Gil Brandt: Packers.
Bucky Brooks: Packers.
Charley Casserly: Packers.
Gregg Rosenthal: Packers.
Michael Silver: Packers.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...f-predictions-trends-emerge-in-division-races

SI.com

Peter King- Packers
Greg Bedard- Packers
Robert Klemko- Bears

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/09/02/nfl-2014-season-preview-extravaganza-the-mmqb-predictions/

980.gif

One of my predictions:

I really believe these next three to four years we will win a Super Bowl. And Stafford will be the QB for one of those teams. IMO the stars are aligning and Stafford and the Lions win a Super Bowl this year.

NFL Off-Season Thread 5 - Everybody Do The Flop : Page 140

minx

Last couple weeks Cutler has been wearing a vandy hat instead of a Bears hat post game. Trade happening confirmed?

I gave been noticing that as well. Some desperate team. Will trade for Cutler. Plenty of teams need one. Jets. Titans. Rams. Redskins. Browns. I would be happy with a 2nd simply to get rid of the contract.

I would have loved to see Cutler's reaction t him be benched. He most likely laughed and said "Dooonnntttt ccaaaaarrrreeeeee"

In a weird way I think Bridgewater is progressing faster by having just enough protection and just barely passable weapons on offense.

It's nice to see that with the Oline collapse, weak wrs, and no AP that Bridgewater hasn't folded.

A lot of rookie QBs have with more to work with.

I agree with Squicken that he likely has a set ceiling but I'll take that. The vikings haven't had that for a very long time.

Thank goodness our defense is shaping up to be elite in the next year or two. It will make the progression even easier.

My man's making 1.1 million dollars to sit on the sideline and hold a clipboard while Jimmy Clausen gets pounded into oblivion behind the Bears' sorry O-line and then gets to go home and bang his crazy (hot, but crazy) vaccine denying wife while I just sit here on my computer and virtually laugh at him.

Lebron James Voice: At the end of the day, our lives suck and his life is still awesome.

Godslay

Banned
Cutler is/was garbage. Nothing new to see here. I knew it the moment he ignored John Lynch and John Elway he wasn't going to be worth a damn. At least not in Denver.

Once, in his rookie year in Denver, 45 minutes before a game, surefire Hall of Fame safety John Lynch was trying to explain something to Cutler about NFL pass coverage. Except Cutler wasn't looking at Lynch. He was texting.

"Man, I'm trying to talk to you!" Lynch protested.

Didn't help. Cutler was all thumbs, head down. Finally, Lynch slapped the phone out of Cutler's hands, smashing it to the floor.

He listened after that.

One time, Broncos coach Mike Shanahan thought it would be helpful for Cutler and Broncos legend John Elway to have lunch. Let Cutler drink in some of Elway's experience.

The three of them sat down at a Denver steak joint. Elway, polite as ever, tried to impart some wisdom. Except Cutler wasn't looking at Elway. He wasn't looking at Shanahan, either. He was looking at the TV. The whole time. With his baseball cap on backward. All the way through dessert. Elway did not leave impressed.

Cutler is the kind of guy you just want to pick up and throw into a swimming pool, which is exactly what Peyton Manning and two linemen did one year at the Pro Bowl.

"He's an arrogant little punk," former Broncos radio color man, Scott Hastings, once said on a national show. "He's a little bitch."

The rest is here:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=6017986

The one thing I will say in the positive is that Elway thought that Cutler was supremely talented and is on the record saying he wouldn't have given up on him as fast as McDaniels.

Sanjuro

In a weird way I think Bridgewater is progressing faster by having just enough protection and just barely passable weapons on offense.

It's nice to see that with the Oline collapse, weak wrs, and no AP that Bridgewater hasn't folded.

A lot of rookie QBs have with more to work with.

I agree with Squicken that he likely has a set ceiling but I'll take that. The vikings haven't had that for a very long time.

Thank goodness our defense is shaping up to be elite in the next year or two. It will make the progression even easier.

Bridgewater may end up being pretty good. Expert analysts are comparing him to a blend of Moon, Cunningham, McNair, McNabb, Vick, RG3, and Esiason.

Cutler is/was garbage. Nothing new to see here. I knew it the moment he ignored John Lynch and John Elway he wasn't going to be worth a damn. At least not in Denver.

The rest is here:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=6017986

The one thing I will say in the positive is that Elway thought that Cutler was supremely talented and is on the record saying he wouldn't have given up on him as fast as McDaniels.

Yikes. No way I can respect Cutler after that.

MechDX

I gave been noticing that as well. Some desperate team. Will trade for Cutler. Plenty of teams need one. Jets. Titans. Rams. Redskins. Browns. I would be happy with a 2nd simply to get rid of the contract.

I would have loved to see Cutler's reaction t him be benched. He most likely laughed and said "Dooonnntttt ccaaaaarrrreeeeee"

6th at best and that's if the Bears eat some of that guaranteed money. If not a 7th

The national media said that the Panthers would be garbage this year....they were right.

4gk3CmS.png

But I don't give them full credit for it because everyone kept focusing on NO RECEIVERZ/TIME TO RUN THE SINGLE WING OFFENSE/ WILL CAM NEWTON COMPLETE A PASS THIS SEASON? when they should have been looking at the offensive line like all the Panthers fans were saying. And Greg Hardy was completely out of left field. No one could have called that shit.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Nonbelievers having zero faith in the restoration of the roar.

When will they believe? Have we not seen enough of the best defense and an offense with a ton of talent?

And please, capitalization on the R's.

Those crazy people not trusting the team that just needed one win against 5 awful-looking teams and lost out only a year before.

The talent from Quarterback to the defensive line has always been there. That same young talent had success in the past (2011).

The problem all along was the coaching scheme and the management of the talent.

BigAT

Heavy said:
Cutler gonna have a monstrous year, you can book it . 4500 Yards, 35 tds

Heavy said:
You think I'm fuckin around but I'm not. If Cutler stays healthy, 4500 yards & 35 tds is a lock. Marshall, Jeffery, Forte. This will be Jeffery's 3rd year. Best WR duo in the league along with an elite dual threat RB. Guaranteed 4500/35 for Cutler.

Heavy (after Week 1) said:
Cutler, 349 yards & 2 TDs
4500/35 is a lock folks

In case anyone forgot.

Godslay

Banned
Yikes. No way I can respect Cutler after that.

He's definitely a different duck. I can see thinking that you know better than the old folks, and ignore their advice. All he had to do was put on a show that he was paying attention and you'd never hear otherwise. That's not Jay though, he does things his way. Good or bad depending on how you look at it I guess.

Just glad we dodged the bullet I suppose.

Fox318

The national media said that the Panthers would be garbage this year....they were right.

4gk3CmS.png

But I don't give them full credit for it because everyone kept focusing on NO RECEIVERZ/TIME TO RUN THE SINGLE WING OFFENSE/ WILL CAM NEWTON COMPLETE A PASS THIS SEASON? when they should have been looking at the offensive line like all the Panthers fans were saying. And Greg Hardy was completely out of left field. No one could have called that shit.

I thought the Jets were gonna win the super bowl before the draft.

Remember the thread OP

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=103888941&postcount=1

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
In case anyone forgot.

#LionsGAF

Lions fans in general are a hilarious bunch. Most are negative and don't trust the franchise for obvious reasons. We've been let down so many times.

But I've been preaching the Restoration of the Roar for awhile now because in most cases in the NFL when you have a young stud at QB and an elite defensive line that usually is a recipe for success. The franchise and fanbase have to overcome mental hurdles of being the "Lolions" and the laughing stock of the league for decades now.

MLive article right after the Vikings win:

What they're saying: This might feel like the longest week in Detroit Lions history

One more victory to make the playoffs - an accomplishment that means so much, but something they won't talk about until they've accomplished their mission of reaching the postseason."

Detroit Lions fans have been holding their collective breath for 15 weeks. The past -- and its council of unelected wise elders -- has taught us to suppress our celebration until the word playoffs is carved in stone.

"In this town, it's all been about finding ways of losing football games at this time of the year," wrote columnist Pat Caputo. "And for decades."

That's why everyone held their breath when Blair Walsh lined up to attempt a 68-yard field goal last night. That's why there was nary a mention of the fact that yesterday's win gave the Lions just their ninth(!) double digit winning season in 81 years.

This season must end in playoffs or most fans will feel like nothing has truly changed.

That's why this is going to feel like the longest week in Detroit Lions history. Tick tock.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2014/12/what_theyre_saying_this_might.html

Bridgewater's ceiling is I think right around what Russell Wilson is now with a little more passing and a little less running. I see his best season being about 3900 yards passing, 500 yards running, 34 TD's and 12 INT's.

h1nch

Assuming the Bears can't trade Cutler's monstrous contract (which would be the best option), they should fire Trestman and hire Mike Shanahan. Maybe he can resurrect his former QB's career.

Assuming the Bears can't trade Cutler's monstrous contract (which would be the best option), they should fire Trestman and hire Mike Shanahan. Maybe he can resurrect his former QB's career.

The question is does Mike want that headache after just dealing with the RG3 circus?

mr2xxx

Banned
Hopefully the Pats make it to the superbowl only to lose by one 1pt to the Seahawks. Then a week later evidence emerges that the Hawks were videotaping the Pats. The bag of dicks Pats fans would have to swallow in that scenario would be hilarious.

Sanjuro

Hopefully the Pats make it to the superbowl only to lose by one 1pt to the Seahawks. Then a week later evidence emerges that the Hawks were videotaping the Pats. The bag of dicks Pats fans would have to swallow in that scenario would be hilarious.

Why would I care?

effzee

LOL@Cutler.

Anyway back to the Eagles:

I was home today so I caught some of the NFL Insiders show on ESPN earlier. They had a segment on whether the Eagles miss DeSean, answered "no" because Maclin's career year, and then moved along.

WTF? DeSean also put up career numbers last year. We had both WRs! It wasn't a choice between one or another. If anything Cooper should have been the odd man out simply based on his lack of talent.

Its so infuriating when I see people point to DeSean's #s on the Washington football team with essentially no QB all season as some sort of proof that the Eagles were right,

They were ranked #1 in plays over 20-40 yards last year. No where close this season. Replacing him with a combo of Sproles and rookie WRs Mathews and Huff hasn't worked. Of course they miss DeSean. Having 2 pro bowl WRs with one of them being the best deep threat in all of football is lethal.

Instead we are overpaying Cooper who can't get any separation, has average route running ability, and isn't big enough to be used for his size.

Just for shits and giggles lets take a look at a great play involving Cooper:

B5ATWKrIYAA2ArG.jpg

Where are you going Riley??? He has a clear path in front of him which is blocked off perfectly well by the other WRs and OLINE. What does Riley do? He for some reason waits and waits and just gets tackled for no gain. I think it was either the first drive or the 2nd. Let to a three and out. Could have been a huge gain. If it was DeSean with that blocking it would have been a TD.

BTW YH, Jabee...all other Eagles fans. Marcus Smith is starting this week since Trent Cole is out. We finally get to see our 1st round pick on the field! Can't wait to see how terrible he really is.

Mrbob

His offense looked to work pretty well when a mistake prone qb was not out there. He got McCown paid. These last two weeks won't save Trestman no matter what happens.

He might be a decent OC somewhere, but he isn't a head coach.

Top Bottom