• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 17 |OT| - For the Division

Duxxy3

Wait are we supposed to be throwing money at Tanny after the season? I don't know about that. I know I was beating that drum pretty hard at one point, but I don't know if I want to tie our salary cap to Alex Smith 2.0. Maybe we can get lucky and Winston will drop way down the draft board or something, but I'd rather put our money into the defensive secondary. PEACE.

I don't think any QB in the draft or in FA is better than Tannehill.

Wait are we supposed to be throwing money at Tanny after the season? I don't know about that. I know I was beating that drum pretty hard at one point, but I don't know if I want to tie our salary cap to Alex Smith 2.0. Maybe we can get lucky and Winston will drop way down the draft board or something, but I'd rather put our money into the defensive secondary. PEACE.

No they'll just pick up his 5th year option, so far though tannehill has shown that he's a keeper

LJ11

I know Bertram wants him gone but despite the mistakes he's made this year I've really liked Pettine this year.

He's been holding guys accountable and has lived up to it playing the more deserving players.

He's coached up a lot of guys on the defense. Kruger, Robertson, K'Waun, Kirksey.

Now if only he could end up having this influence on the offense...

It comes down to QB1. If you had a capable starter you'd be right in the hunt, you were up until a few weeks ago. Hard to coach up an O when your QB is bad, he touches the ball on every play.

lol @ wanting Winston over Tannehill

Bitanator

That Romo play almost turned magic, I remember a similar play where he made something out of that. Time to sit the bastards, played a good game today

Tannehill's thrown a TD to a WR this year. Don't compare him to Alex Smith. And what else do you do, let him play out his contract and he takes like a 15 million dollar hit on the cap? Or just let him go to FA? He's the best we've got and he best we're getting for a while. I don't mind competition for the QB spot. It never hurts to have a good backup, but wasting picks on another quarterback when you see the awful o-line and linebacker play? Smh

Meier

At my first NFL game (wife is a big Dolphins fan so we are at it) and the fucking Bucs are going to waste this season by winning today it looks like. Are you kidding me? Please wake up, Brees.

Pimpwerx

Alex Smith 2.0? You're one of those people?

For fucks sake...
He can't throw it down field. I don't think Lazor wants to call the short dink and dunk passes like he is doing. I think it's just the best way to use Tanny. But I don't want to tie up our money in what is still a Jeff Ireland pick. He fucked up so many picks, and Tanny clearly hasn't met expectations yet. With the amount of money QBs get, he could hamstring the roster worse than having Ireland as a GM. I want Hickey to have the flexibility to make any moves necessary. He's proven to be the most competent person in the franchise in over a decade. PEACE.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
It comes down to QB1. If you had a capable starter you'd be right in the hunt, you were up until a few weeks ago. Hard to coach up an O when your QB is bad, he touches the ball on every play.

Agreed.

If Hoyer was able to play even close to how he did to start the season we'd probably be in some ridiculous scenario today where a win and a million losses by every other team would put us in.

Really have no clue what we'll do with QB this offseason. Nothing feasible in free agency or barring some miracle in the draft. I assume we go Manziel/Vet because it's all we have.

That or we take a chance with a Jake Locker.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I wouldn't give him another chance to fuck up a draft. They were better off with Lombardi.

Pettine influenced the Gilbert pick. Haslam influenced the Manziel pick.

Bitonio, Kirksey and West all were good picks. (And Pierre Desir is a seventh-rounder, although the Browns ended up needing him with all the injuries.)

Sanjuro

JIMMY!

PJ41mCU.gif

He can't throw it down field. I don't think Lazor wants to call the short dink and dunk passes like he is doing. I think it's just the best way to use Tanny. But I don't want to tie up our money in what is still a Jeff Ireland pick. He fucked up so many picks, and Tanny clearly hasn't met expectations yet. With the amount of money QBs get, he could hamstring the roster worse than having Ireland as a GM. I want Hickey to have the flexibility to make any moves necessary. He's proven to be the most competent person in the franchise in over a decade. PEACE.
He throws everything but the bomb extremely well and he had a few of those recently. He's not perfect but good luck replacing him.

You are insane if you think this hasn't been a positive year for Tannehill, or if you think it would be that easy to bring in someone better.

Pimpwerx

Tannehill's thrown a TD to a WR this year. Don't compare him to Alex Smith. And what else do you do, let him play out his contract and he takes like a 15 million dollar hit on the cap? Or just let him go to FA? He's the best we've got and he best we're getting for a while. I don't mind competition for the QB spot. It never hurts to have a good backup, but wasting picks on another quarterback when you see the awful o-line and linebacker play? Smh
Alex Smith is the closest comparison because the long ball is what plagues both of their games, and they've both found success throwing short passes. But that style of offense isn't a good plan long term. Those offenses always get shut down in the playoffs. You have to be able to take the top off the defense.

lol @ wanting Winston over Tannehill
Part of it is the lure of the unknown. Mostly it's that Winston shows better field vision and better touch on long throws. That's really all I want if you're throwing money at a QB. He needs to be able to hit the homerun. PEACE.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Pettine influenced the Gilbert pick. Haslam influenced the Manziel pick.

Bitonio, Kirksey and West all were good picks. (And Pierre Desir is a seventh-rounder, although the Browns ended up needing him with all the injuries.)

Plus Crowell and K'Waun Williams both undrafted who have shined this year.

Same issue as before though we're missing on our first rounders.

I'm not ready to give up on Gilbert yet, I think Pettine plus the vets he has on defense will fix him up.

BG hates him but even he has to admit Mingo has flashed a bit this season too.

"@davehydesports: That's 27 TD passes for Tannehill. The only time a Dolphins QB has thrown more in past 25 seasons was Dan Marino (30) in 1994."

Also one more sack and Tannehill reaches 100 in two years

Alex Smith is the closest comparison because the long ball is what plagues both of their games, and they've both found success throwing short passes. But that style of offense isn't a good plan long term. Those offenses always get shut down in the playoffs. You have to be able to take the top off the defense.

Part of it is the lure of the unknown. Mostly it's that Winston shows better field vision and better touch on long throws. That's really all I want if you're throwing money at a QB. He needs to be able to hit the homerun. PEACE.

Tannehills long ball is not the problem you're making it seem, dropped balls and terrible oline play have played a bigger role in our deep passing game then Tannehills accuracy

Top Bottom