• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 2 |OT| Thread Title Subject to Change Depending on Public Outrage

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechDX

wannabe-emo-girls-o.gif

zychi

Banned
And I get it. It's ok to be discerning customer of their service as well as the food. But I'm saying there are people out there who a) think 5 bucks is the max tip for any bill, b) think no tip is neccessary so will give you change or round up a credit card bill, or c) like Syrnix said early, think not tipping is sticking it to the system when it's really just boning your college student waiter.

yeah that is shitty. i think everyone should have to work in a restaurant as a server for a week before they should legally be allowed to eat at a restaurant.

Crisco

Banned
I really don't understand any debate about tipping in America. It exists, and that the situation. You tip for service, it's expected you tip, and the servers are paid to expect your tip. What I mean, is they get an hourly pay that is less than minimum wage (in many places, I worked at resturants in Maryland made 2.38 an hour) that is only there to cover the taxes they pay based on their expected tips (which they have to claim for tax purposes) based on their sales. You sell 1000$ worth of food in a night, you are expected to make 150$ in tips, tip out a certain percentage of that to bussers, food runners, bartenders, hosts, etc, and pay taxes on that amount. So when you tip 3 bucks on a 100$ check, that costs the waiter money, because they are going to tip out the same amount based on their sales, and pay the same taxes.

I get reducing a tip for bad service, but to withhold tip, or to max out a tip at 5 dollars, is just being a dick to some person trying to do their job. They don't make that system, they just work in it. The threads where people say they don't tip based on principle are ridiculous to me.

Also, I'm all for tip shaming on the internet, but also tip praising. I used to work at a restaurant near the Ravens practice facility and waited on lots of players. Some tipped poorly, some tipped well, and let me tell you, when I was waiting tables, I was fucking awesome, so if you didn't tip, it's because you were ignorant, not based on service.

What about those places that automatically add a tip to the bill when you're over a party of X people? How does that work? Do I figure that in to my total tip percentage or are the two completely separate? That shit is disconcerting after several drinks of alcohol.....

MechDX

What about those places that automatically add a tip to the bill when you're over a party of X people? How does that work? Do I figure that in to my total tip percentage or are the two completely separate? That shit is disconcerting after several drinks of alcohol.....

Drinks are not included in automatic large party tips.

Which in themselves are complete bullshit

Wes

venison crêpe
We do not ever ban people "randomly."

That's right. So when your time comes BG it wasn't a clerical error. It'll be payback for the Shirtless Draft calendar mishap you pulled this year. #getyourfantasydraftleagueprioritiesinorderson #alwaysshirtless #neverforget

That I do have a problem with but outside of not going out in larger groups there isn't much you could do

I am debating what motion picture to start watching, and also what book to read next. And then perhaps I will play my Madden league game against the cpu. And then hate the thought of going back to work tomorrow.

Stuff.

Guardians of the Galaxy is great, but I'm just assuming everybody's already seen that. If you haven't though, you should!

Appetizers shaming is the worst.

Where's the shaming? If you can order a plate of nachos, three bowls of crab dip, a crab pretzel, potato skins, 24 wings and some spinach and artichoke dip, for just two people without the waiter thinking it was a joke, then you've made it.

Konka

Banned
No, but it would probably be best to move onto another topic (I see we've moved on to tipping. Perfect!). If people have concerns about GAF moderation, please feel free to PM me or another mod.

Though I'll address this one really quick to clear the air because... urgh. I looked into this ban myself when it started floating around Twitter. The junior in question was not in fact banned randomly, the ban was a very standard junior perm (junior membership is a probationary status on GAF, and most offenses will get you permanently banned, as will longer term poor posting. This does not apply to people who have been juniored for making bad threads). The ban itself was perfectly standard, the ban message was a mod not wanting to write a lengthy explanation and so making a joke that they had clearly not thought through. We do not ever ban people "randomly."

Don't worry guys, I'm safe!

cdyhybrid

That's right. So when your time comes BG it wasn't a clerical error. It'll be payback for the Shirtless Draft calendar mishap you pulled this year. #getyourfantasydraftleagueprioritiesinorderson #alwaysshirtless #neverforget

Poor BG. He never got to see Johnny start...*sniff*

Only shitty waiters rely on automatic gratuity. I always took it off and said, "There is no pre-added tip, you add whatever you feel is appropriate. This is America!"
Ok, I didn't say the "This is America" part, but the rest was my go to.

Fox318

Mods have had secret meetings to not just ban but destroy all Tennessee Titans fans.

TMZ to break the story tomorrow.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
It's not hard to be a server though. I was generally a server ninja. I'd take your drink order, entree order, and keep your drinks full (shocking how many servers neglect this step), and make sure everything is correct and attended to. Also I drop the check a wee bit earlier than people may be used to but people were appreciative of this because there's nothing worse than trying to get your bill and your server has disappeared. I was tipped well.

Some servers did a bit better than I did by basically putting on a song and dance. That's way too much work.

That said while serving feels humiliating in a lot of ways, I liked it loads better than carpentry in 100+ degree weather.

Only shitty waiters rely on automatic gratuity. I always took it off and said, "There is no pre-added tip, you add whatever you feel is appropriate. This is America!"
Ok, I didn't say the "This is America" part, but the rest was my go to.

The funny part is that they might actually make more if they didn't include that. Usually everyone will include a tip in a large group but when it's added it's just included in the bill and nobody leaves more.

MechDX

Mods have had secret meetings to not just ban but destroy all Tennessee Titans fans.

TMZ to break the story tomorrow.

What is with your sudden fascination with Tack fans? sf2fanatic is a good guy and that Hoodie Fidelis will disappear as usual in a few weeks.

Fox318

Don't worry guys, I'm safe!

Are they talking about the Scottish vote there?

Are the republicans and unions going at it?

Have you asked about Irish unification and peoples thoughts there?

What is with your sudden fascination with Tack fans? sf2fanatic is a good guy and that Hoodie Fidelis will disappear as usual in a few weeks.

The one titan fan is a SF giants fan.

Figure that out

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Apparently the NJ Attorney General said it would have been illegal for the NFL to get the video earlier than they did.

Get fucked TMZ.

RBH

10592886_10152421276167842_7225912180411845490_n.jpg

Did you ever know that you're my hero,
and everything I would like to be?
I can fly higher than an eagle,
'cause you are the wind beneath my wings.

gladtomeetya.gif

Narag

Don't ban him until he's watch Draft Day. I need his thoughts.

Striker

Few Giant receiver related comments regarding playcalling:

Victor Cruz: "We have to make a concerted effort to get Rueben the ball as well as myself."

(Reuben Randle)

"I can only control what I can control. Just go out there block and get open and that is what I did tonight."

When asked: "Did you feel like there were times when you were open and maybe the play rolled to another side or Eli looked in another direction?"

Randle: "Yeah definitely. Like I said, there were opportunities there but my job is to run the route that is called and get open"
Please, Beckham, get healthy so you can replace this bum. Cruz needs the guys on the outside to get open and make plays so it eases up on the double teaming that Cruz gets. Right now the defenses can easily cover Randle and Jernigan.

Fox318

Apparently the NJ Attorney General said it would have been illegal for the NFL to get the video earlier than they did.

Get fucked TMZ.

So then why did they issue punishment without all of the facts?

Why did the Ravens trot out Ray Rice like a war hero?

Why didn't Goodell take the issue seriously from the start?

Any other company would have placed Rice on paid suspension until the matter was settled in the courts.

Any other company would have placed Rice on paid suspension until the matter was settled in the courts.

1. My guess is because they knew he knocked her out.

2. They are idiots, this has no excuse.

3. Idiot

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

I'm not arguing the joke of a suspension Ray Rice got to begin with.

What I am arguing is the "conspiracy" didn't happen at all. If the tape was evidence that couldn't be released to the public, then the NFL couldn't have gotten it when they supposedly "should have".

So the end result is that the NFL are a pack of idiots and nothing more. Not exactly a ground breaking revelation since anyone with a globe or a map from pretty much 1700 onward could tell you that a team in London is dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom