• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 2 |OT| Thread Title Subject to Change Depending on Public Outrage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syrinx

There's an NFL thread in that forum most of NBA-GAF went too after that purge. Hell, even an anime thread. I saw Frankman in there.

jakncoke

Banned
There's an NFL thread in that forum most of NBA-GAF went too after that purge. Hell, even an anime thread. I saw Frankman in there.

Yeah but 85% of the people on that forum are asshole douchbags and 100% the reason that if I even like NBA wouldnt of posted in the NBA thread.

BigAT

Fine...I'll tie a few bucks to a brick and throw it through the window with a note

lj3yWe9.jpg

Crisco

Banned
I love all these articles about how irredeemably shitty the Giants are. It's like the media can't accept the slightest possibility that the Lions are actually good.

I really don't understand any debate about tipping in America. It exists, and that the situation. You tip for service, it's expected you tip, and the servers are paid to expect your tip. What I mean, is they get an hourly pay that is less than minimum wage (in many places, I worked at resturants in Maryland made 2.38 an hour) that is only there to cover the taxes they pay based on their expected tips (which they have to claim for tax purposes) based on their sales. You sell 1000$ worth of food in a night, you are expected to make 150$ in tips, tip out a certain percentage of that to bussers, food runners, bartenders, hosts, etc, and pay taxes on that amount. So when you tip 3 bucks on a 100$ check, that costs the waiter money, because they are going to tip out the same amount based on their sales, and pay the same taxes.

I get reducing a tip for bad service, but to withhold tip, or to max out a tip at 5 dollars, is just being a dick to some person trying to do their job. They don't make that system, they just work in it. The threads where people say they don't tip based on principle are ridiculous to me.

Also, I'm all for tip shaming on the internet, but also tip praising. I used to work at a restaurant near the Ravens practice facility and waited on lots of players. Some tipped poorly, some tipped well, and let me tell you, when I was waiting tables, I was fucking awesome, so if you didn't tip, it's because you were ignorant, not based on service.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I really don't understand any debate about tipping in America. It exists, and that the situation. You tip for service, it's expected you tip, and the servers are paid to expect your tip. What I mean, is they get an hourly pay that is less than minimum wage (in many places, I worked at resturants in Maryland made 2.38 an hour) that is only there to cover the taxes they pay based on their expected tips (which they have to claim for tax purposes) based on their sales. You sell 1000$ worth of food in a night, you are expected to make 150$ in tips, tip out a certain percentage of that to bussers, food runners, bartenders, hosts, etc, and pay taxes on that amount. So when you tip 3 bucks on a 100$ check, that costs the waiter money, because they are going to tip out the same amount based on their sales, and pay the same taxes.

I get reducing a tip for bad service, but to withhold tip, or to max out a tip at 5 dollars, is just being a dick to some person trying to do their job. They don't make that system, they just work in it. The threads where people say they don't tip based on principle are ridiculous to me.

You should make a thread in OT about this.

Bread

Banned

Well put, not to mention that prices for food would be higher if you weren't expected to tip.

You should make a thread in OT about this.

I avoid those threads. Until I got on Gaf, I never really knew there was much of a debate. I just assumed everybody knew that tipping was expected, and that bad tippers existed. I didn't realize there was so much opposition to the very concept of tipping.

Syrinx

Also, I'm all for tip shaming on the internet, but also tip praising. I used to work at a restaurant near the Ravens practice facility and waited on lots of players. Some tipped poorly, some tipped well, and let me tell you, when I was waiting tables, I was fucking awesome, so if you didn't tip, it's because you were ignorant, not based on service.

My favorite part is when some people try to frame it like they're "railing against" the tipping system by not tipping. When all they're doing is directly supporting the system by eating out at places that utilize it while fucking their waiter/waitress in the ass instead.

zychi

Banned

Serve better?

Instead of serving, switch to bartending. If you're sitting at the bar, and I walk over to you take your order, get you one drink, and never come back besides to give you a check. Are you going to tip me well? No, of course not. I didn't tend to the bar, and I didn't serve you. I didn't earn the tip.

If you do what is expected as a server, and that is be nice regardless how shitty the customer is, and how indescisive anyone is, CHECK ON THE TABLE AFTER THE ORDER, you'll get a great tip from me.

I'm not leaving .20 for shitty service, but if I'm in a restaurant for an hour, I expect to see you more than when you take my order and give me the check. I sure as shit aren't tipping you over 10% if I see you a total of two times.

Serve better?

Instead of serving, switch to bartending. If you're sitting at the bar, and I walk over to you take your order, get you one drink, and never come back besides to give you a check. Are you going to tip me well? No, of course not. You didn't tend to the bar, and you didn't serve me. You didn't earn the tip.

If you do what is expected as a server, and that is be nice regardless how shitty the customer is, and how indescisive anyone is, CHECK ON THE TABLE AFTER THE ORDER, you'll get a great tip from me.

I'm not leaving .20 for shitty service, but if I'm in a restaurant for an hour, I expect to see you more than when you take my order and give me the check. I sure as shit aren't tipping you over 10% if I see you a total of two times.

And I get it. It's ok to be discerning customer of their service as well as the food. But I'm saying there are people out there who a) think 5 bucks is the max tip for any bill, b) think no tip is neccessary so will give you change or round up a credit card bill, or c) like Syrnix said early, think not tipping is sticking it to the system when it's really just boning your college student waiter.

You know I would take the tip thing more seriously if it was brought forward by anyone else in the city than Tommy Up I think. I have some good friends that work for him, so I'll have to get their take, but honestly the dude is a huge attention whore and I don't believe much of what he says. This same guy just kickstarted a fucking bar when he owns like three establishments already, as if he wasn't just in it for free easy cash.

Eleuin

1. Fuck you

2. This past Sunday I made lasagna! It did not have meat though so I'm not sure if it still qualifies. I saw that we have most of the stuff to make and did not feel like going out, so I made with a bunch of veggies and stuff instead! Broccoli, peppers (red/green), spinach, mushrooms, and some other shit (particularly, this stuff that made it really spicy). It did not come out too bad, I had to put that shit back into the oven a bunch of times because I wasn't sure when it would be done (never made lasagne before). Overall it wasn't that bad, here is the pic of the last bit of it that I finished yesterday. My roommates didn't seem to want any, oh well, more for me!

lmao wtf dude

Just so we're clear I'm a really great tipper, for good service I do 20%, excellent I'll do 30%, sure I'm wasting more money then I should but I have it and I include tips in my eating out budget, I've had terrible service but I've still left some kind of tip even a few bucks or when the place is flat out packed I'll still do 15% at least but this lady did nothing, she took our order and went to sit down or walk around the place without come by at all while the place was empty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom