• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 2 |OT| Thread Title Subject to Change Depending on Public Outrage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantomex

Yeah it is doing worse then even I expected, I thought that AAA shine would protect it some what. Hopefully Bungie takes all the criticisms and makes a great Destiny 2.

That's what they get for making a deal with Activision. The games alright, nothing major though. That's what society gets for not playing Ni No Kuni or FIre Emblem, they deserve to have lots of mediocre games.

Crisco

Banned
Who would have thought, take away all of MS's fancy marketing and it's just another shooter. Bungie's FPSs are and have always been trash.

That's what they get for making a deal with Activision. The games alright, nothing major though. That's what society gets for not playing Ni No Kuni or FIre Emblem, they deserve to have lots of mediocre games.

Man I really do wish we would get more turn based RPG's on console. I would kill for a LO2 right about now. Sucks it will never happen.

gutshot

BxWWEulIUAAcvUG.png:large

If sponsors start walking over this, Roger is gone.

destiny is a better game than halo doe

p.s.

activision marketing rivals anything MS ever did for halo

Destiny isnt even remotely close to Halo CE, or Halo 2. I will say Activision did spend a ton marketing Destiny, but the ads just havent been that good. Nothing has come close to the Gears Mad World ad. The live action Destiny ad was meh at best.

Fantomex

Bountygate is coming back on Roger hard. I remember him saying "It doesn't matter that they didn't know, it's their responsibility to know". LOL you out Roger.

Destiny isnt even remotely close to Halo CE, or Halo 2. I will say Activision did spend a ton marketing Destiny, but the ads just havent been that good. Nothing has come close to the Gears Mad World ad. The live action Destiny ad was meh at best.

but what about MS's marketing for halo?

i also think Halo 4 has made me disgusted with the entire series. it was fucking awful. then again i haven't played halo 1/2 in years so perhaps when i get the remasters i'll be reminded of how good they were

Fantomex

I'm old, tired and bored of everything. Halo, Battlefield, Final Fantasy, Madden. Only studio I got hope in is Level Five and whoever makes the Fifa Games.

I think it may be time for Kevin Colbert to be fired. Signing Cam Thomas, Mike Mitchell and Marcus Gilbert, who are the worst three starters on the team right now is not a good look. Add in Lance Moore, who's yet to see a snap. The Steelers have been throwing money away.

I think that's pushing it. Cam Thomas s a depth signing. Mitchell is still becoming accustomed. Moore is injured, not much to be done about that. Gilbert is lousy, but what RT isn't?

Steelers fans have to face facts. This Defense is bad, and will be bad for at least half the season. There's a ton of turnover on D from even last season, it will take time. Steelers have 20 penalties in 2 games. There's a serious learning curve here.

but what about MS's marketing for halo?

i also think Halo 4 has made me disgusted with the entire series. it was fucking awful. then again i haven't played halo 1/2 in years so perhaps when i get the remasters i'll be reminded of how good they were

You dont remember all the finish the fight stuff for Halo 3? The commercial with the old guy and the statue I thought was very well done. Halo 4 was very different due to all the stuff they tried to do with it, I was very happy that they tried to switch up the formula but I know most people were not. That doesnt change how great CE's SP was or 2's mp though.

Crisco

Banned
that's a mauling? it looks like mccoy trips and is then thrown down while he is off balance

this is a mauling:

809279768.gif

And I'll raise you one Star Lotulelei:

stardestroyer.gif

Side note, that "amazing" pick on the other end? Those are the plays the Steelers are now paying him $5 million/year to make. Literally any warm body can look good behind the Panthers front seven.

Destiny getting hammered in reviews, especially considering how high profile it is.

I like it well enough but I agree with most of the complaints I've seen.
Hammered is a strong word for a game hovering at 75%. I understand the perception considering the hype but 4-5's would be hammered.

It's a solid game but its more of a shell to facilitate content in the future than a fully fleshed out day one experience and I think that's the biggest knock I have against it. The social features are wanting for a supposedly social game (Why can't I put myself as looking for a fire team and/or search for open fire teams in orbit or in the zones I'm in?) and there are content issues but its fundamentally sound gameplay wise and I'm interested to see how Bungie fills in the gaps.

I'm still enjoying it quite a bit. I ran through two strikes last night with some friends and had a blast.

Oh and the "story" is laughably bad.

One thing I will bitch about though, Steelers have to ditch the huge cushions. It's not 1997 anymore, these QBs are taught to get rid of it quick. You don't have time to drive on the throws like you used to.

Watching Flacco I keep thinking "what the fuck is the difference between other teams and the Steelers?!". Aside from the run game which gave Flacco easy 3rd down throws, he had a TON of throws off of simple 3 step drops. People talk about Lebeau's blitzing schemes not working, that's bullshit. The problem is these guys have no time to get there. QBs are killing the Steelers with short throws. The past three or so seasons it seems every team that faces the Steelers focuses on those short throws, and the CBs can't do shit since the ball is caught by the time they start driving on it. Fuck, CUTLER came through and dinked us to death.

MechDX

Hammered is a strong word for a game hovering at 75%. I understand the perception considering the hype but 4-5's would be hammered.

It's a solid game but its more of a shell to facilitate content in the future than a fully fleshed out day one experience and I think that's the biggest knock I have against it. The social features are wanting for a supposedly social game (Why can't I put myself as looking for a fire team and/or search for open fire teams in orbit or in the zones I'm in?) and there are content issues but its fundamentally sound gameplay wise and I'm interested to see how Bungie fills in the gaps.

I'm still enjoying it quite a bit. I ran through two strikes last night with some friends and had a blast.

That's why I'm hesitant to drop $60 on. $30 is the sweet spot.

Hammered a strong word for a game hovering at 75%. I understand the perception considering the hype but 4-5's would be hammered.

What's the last game you saw with this type of marketing and developer pedigree getting 6's and 7's left and right? It's relative of course but with that frame of reference I think hammered is an appropriate description.

As for your opinion on the game I'm in a similar boat. My biggest complaint is that everything feels shallow; from the lore and world to the class differences and loot. The game is begging for more depth and complexity but I guess they didn't want to alienate all of the shooter fans that don't do RPG's.

The game is pretty much FPS-lite and MMORPG-lite. It borrows from both but does neither particularly well.

Also, as a big fan of MP shooters I think the competitive aspect is pretty bad. Polygon actually hits the nail squarely on the head in their coverage of this on the PVP section of the review.

Destiny's competitive component takes place in the Crucible — a special selectable playlist that includes control point, team deathmatch and free-for-all modes taking place in four competitive maps.

If there's any place to talk of Bungie's legacy, it would be here. Three modes and just four multiplayer environments feels like an afterthought, especially in comparison to the Halo series' ever-swelling roster of locations. But the number of maps isn't the problem.

Instead, the Crucible's biggest failing is its reliance on your character's progression to power you through against other players. While damage numbers for weapons are evened out, you remain at the mercy of other players' weapon types and skills, especially against players who find the motivation to grind on beyond level 20.

You're also at the mercy of class abilities that were tuned to look cool in cooperative play rather than balanced for multiplayer. This became most obvious the second or third time a Titan player's air-stomp splash damage killed everything in a six-foot radius. The care and refinement that defined Bungie's previous multiplayer efforts just doesn't seem present.

That said, the Crucible can be a fast track for experience, and forced to choose between running another patrol or jumping into an unbalanced 6v6 multiplayer match for 10 minutes, you might choose the latter.
All of that said, it's still a fun enough game that I feel hooked and want to see all of the content.

Can a AAA title afford to be mediocre, or a "wait for" situation? Console owners are fickle, and there's no guarantee they won't have moved on by the time Bungie gets its ducks in a row.

What's the last game you saw with this type of marketing and developer pedigree getting 6's and 7's left and right?
Like I said, I get the perception. It's just a silly one. Buy into hype at your own risk and for this particular game its even more silly considering people had a fairly significant chunk of content to try with the beta.

Furthermore I may be the wrong guy to comment on this to begin with since I generally feel that game reviews are about as useful as the toilet paper I used to wipe my ass with this morning. ;)

A 75 is basically a 5/10 for AAA gaming reviews.
See above.

Can a AAA title afford to be mediocre, or a "wait for" situation? Console owners are fickle, and there's no guarantee they won't have moved on by the time Bungie gets its ducks in a row.
Games like this are front loaded as hell to begin with. They were going to lose audience to Call of Duty in two months, anyhow. How much revenue have Activision generated from its release? I'd say they are likely pretty happy with how things sit today.

BigAT

Like I said, I get the perception. It's just a silly one. Buy into hype at your own risk and for this particular game its even more silly considering people had a fairly significant chunk of content to try with the beta.

Furthermore I may be the wrong guy to comment on this to begin with since I generally feel that game reviews are about as useful as the toilet paper I used to wipe my ass with this morning. ;)

I feel like you're badly besmirching the usefulness of toilet paper. What would you do without it?

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Here is your daily "How awesome is JJ watt" link:

BxWOUAkCMAA6Cd3.jpg:large

Seems more like a "check out how fucking unbelievable Reggie White was" link

Holy shit @ Reggie White

Is it that time of year already where I miss my favorite Packer of all time Reggie White?

He would still be the all-time sack leader if he didn't basically take the 1999 season off to "retire" since he had an amazing year in 1998.

:(

Games like this are front loaded as hell to begin with. They were going to lose audience to Call of Duty in two months, anyhow. How much revenue have Activision generated from its release? I'd say they are likely pretty happy with how things sit today.

That seems like a contradiction. Bungie will be happy that their long tail game was front loaded?

See above.

I remember having this discussion with you back when Lords of Shadow 2 came out. Funny thing is the reviews were right about that game and they saved me some time and money.

Reviews are by no means law but they can be a useful tool, particularly with games you are unsure about. They can also be awful at times, not denying that for a second either. I'd bet most of your favorite games have reviewed well though, you just don't bother recognizing the correlation. Either that or you don't mind taking more of a risk with your resources than I can afford to.

If I was talking about Bungie it would but since I was said Activision.....

So you agree then that Bungie won't be satisfied? Otherwise it just sounds like you're saying they couldn't give less of a fuck since Activision is just gonna stomp them with COD anyway, unless i'm misunderstanding.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Destiny is basically this gen's Assassin's Creed. Remember the first one and how it was a good game but it clumsy and had repetitive gameplay? I think we're seeing the same thing here. The franchise has a bright future once it gets fleshed out a bit more (and it will be fleshed out because we all know it's going to get at least 3 more sequels in the next 4-5 years). The only reason someone would never like this series is if the idea of "Halo RPG" doesn't sound appealing whatsoever.

Still, I guess my taste in games must be off because I would rate this no lower than an 80 personally. I've enjoyed it more than Infamous: SS and Wolfenstein (both great games) and have had more fun with it than Last of Us (keyword here: fun) just for reference.

I remember having this discussion with you back when Lords of Shadow 2 came out. Funny thing is the reviews were right about that game and they saved me some time and money.

Reviews are by no means law but they can be a useful tool, particularly with games you are unsure about. They can also be awful at times, not denying that for a second either. I'd bet most of your favorite games have reviewed well though, you just don't bother recognizing the correlation. Either that or you don't mind taking more of a risk with your resources than I can afford to.
Sure. They're not a useful tool for /me/ and I can't speak on how others make their buying decisions. I can only speak as to how I make my own.

Reviews are opinions. By their very nature they can't be right or wrong. If you feel they saved you money then that's great. More power to you on that front, bro. Not arguing otherwise.

So you agree then that Bungie won't be satisfied? Otherwise it just sounds like you're saying they couldn't give less of a fuck since Activision is just gonna stomp them with COD anyway, unless i'm misunderstanding.
What I'm saying is that Activision will be pleased from the revenue they have made on Destiny and from a sales perspective it will be difficult for it to be not be considered a success for them. They will also be pleased with the revenue they will generate from Call of Duty Advanced Warfare which will likely continue the tradition of selling 12+ million copies to gamers. As the publisher of both games, I doubt they much care which game players choose to play. They win regardless. They win their money on release day and they win their money when DLC is released for both.

Bungie never came into the equation. I can't tell how they're going to feel either way in that scenario outside of them being utterly foolish if they didn't think they'd lose player base when Call of Duty released. Would they like to keep the biggest player base possible? Sure. Do they have an opportunity to do with DLC down the line? Sure. Will that be enough? No clue. Destiny isn't a short term project for them, nor do I feel that they view it in that regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom