• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 2 |OT| Thread Title Subject to Change Depending on Public Outrage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Destiny is basically this gen's Assassin's Creed. Remember the first one and how it was a good game but it clumsy and had repetitive gameplay? I think we're seeing the same thing here. The franchise has a bright future once it gets fleshed out a bit more (and it will be fleshed out because we all know it's going to get at least 3 more sequels in the next 4-5 years). The only reason someone would never like this series is if the idea of "Halo RPG" doesn't sound appealing whatsoever.

Still, I guess my taste in games must be off because I would rate this no lower than an 80 personally. I've enjoyed it more than Infamous: SS and Wolfenstein (both great games) and have had more fun with it than Last of Us (keyword here: fun) just for reference.
Yeah, the AC comparison is looking more and more apt by the day. I just hope they don't run the franchise into the ground like Ubisoft did with AC. I played the first four but two hours into ACIII I realized I was done. I might go back to it someday but I burnt out pretty hard on that series.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
One thing I will bitch about though, Steelers have to ditch the huge cushions. It's not 1997 anymore, these QBs are taught to get rid of it quick. You don't have time to drive on the throws like you used to.

Watching Flacco I keep thinking "what the fuck is the difference between other teams and the Steelers?!". Aside from the run game which gave Flacco easy 3rd down throws, he had a TON of throws off of simple 3 step drops. People talk about Lebeau's blitzing schemes not working, that's bullshit. The problem is these guys have no time to get there. QBs are killing the Steelers with short throws. The past three or so seasons it seems every team that faces the Steelers focuses on those short throws, and the CBs can't do shit since the ball is caught by the time they start driving on it. Fuck, CUTLER came through and dinked us to death.

The idea of making the other team dink and dunk down the field is fine except for the fact that the Steelers can't tackle in the open field. The safeties CAN NOT TACKLE IN THE OPEN FIELD. Either need to scrap the scheme or play guys who can tackle. Pick one. Status quo isn't going to work.

Crisco

Banned
The problem isn't reviews, it's the reviewers. There absolutely are objective quality measures that make a particular video game (or movie,TV show, etc...) better or worse than others. Most reviewers are wholly unqualified to identify or properly evaluate them. It's like a food critic. They can tell you if a piece of fish is cooked properly, well seasoned, plated nicely, etc..... those things aren't up for debate. Whether that mango salsa you chose to garnish it with was a good choice or not, that's subjective. Well, most good food critics are former cooks, or at least have some idea about what good food looks and tastes like. You can't say the same about most game reviewers. They are journalists, generally poor ones who could't break into a more high profile industry, who fake actual video game knowledge.

Been preparing myself for this one. We really don't want to deal with articles after every game saying "Carolina Panthers convicted woman beater gets a sack and 4 tackles today.".

What I'm saying is that Activision will be pleased from the revenue they have made on Destiny and from a sales perspective it will be difficult for it to be not be considered a success for them. They will also be pleased with the revenue they will generate from Call of Duty Advanced Warfare which will likely continue the tradition of selling 12+ million copies to gamers. As the publisher of both games, I doubt they much care which game players choose to play. They win regardless. They win their money on release day and they win their money when DLC is released for both.

Bungie never came into the equation. I can't tell how they're going to feel either way in that scenario outside of them being utterly foolish if they didn't think they'd lose player base when Call of Duty released. Would they like to keep the biggest player base possible? Sure. Do they have an opportunity to do with DLC down the line? Sure. Will that be enough? No clue.

I'll have to disagree then. It doesn't make sense for a developer to create a long tail game (Meaning one that is to keep you hooked for the long term with upgrades and additions) only to be satisfied with whatever they scrape together opening week. If that were the case Destiny would have been a game with the full content day 1 for better or worse.

Of course Activision would love money. What they would love even more is a long term revenue stream from any game they release, dovetailing into guaranteed sales of their sequels. They love it so much that is their business model.

As for my original point, Destiny being perceived as mediocre is bad. Console gamers don't stick around for potential; a game that doesn't hook them for the gradual suck dry will just be forgotten when the net big thing inevitably saunters by.

The idea of making the other team dink and dunk down the field is fine except for the fact that the Steelers can't tackle in the open field. The safeties CAN NOT TACKLE IN THE OPEN FIELD. Either need to scrap the scheme or play guys who can tackle. Pick one. Status quo isn't going to work.

I agree there. Part of the problem in that regard is personnel. 2 of the 4 guys in the secondary are washed up (Troy and Ike) and Mitchell needs to get his sea legs (at least I hope that's his problem...)

Halo is only considered good because all Xbox had was pretty much Halo, Morrowind and Ninja Gaiden.

Its funny when kids who are in their early 20s talk about how there was nothing like Halo 2 previously.

Then I remind them that Counter Strike and Quake 3 both came out several years earlier and they start calling me mean names.

If you're betting on Thursday Night Football, take the home team:

Dale Lolley said:
With Pittsburgh's loss, road teams are now 24-42 in these Thursday night debacles Roger Goodell created back in 2006. That's enough of a track record to show that there is a decided advantage for the home team in these games.

Bowser

I'm gonna have to go ahead and say that tweet is bullshit though. Hell, just an hour ago Rivera said the plan is for Hardy to start Friday

edit: #asexpected

Black & Blue Review ‏@BlackBlueReview 1m
Per a team official, the #Panthers have no plans to do anything regarding Greg Hardy’s status today.

Deep breaths, people.

#process

Jonathan Jones ‏@jjones9 3m
Ron Rivera said Greg Hardy will play and start Sunday vs. Lions. He reiterated the team is waiting on the process

I'm gonna have to go ahead and say that tweet is bullshit though. Hell, just an hour ago Rivera said the plan is for Hardy to start Friday

edit: #asexpected

Black & Blue Review ‏@BlackBlueReview 1m
Per a team official, the #Panthers have no plans to do anything regarding Greg Hardy’s status today.

Deep breaths, people.

#process

#heatfrombeatwriters

eznark

Banned
If you're betting on Thursday Night Football, take the home team:

That's a 12% difference from the overall home field advantage.

But, up until this year I don't think the data is useful. It was always one of the last chosen games, so of course they would get shitty games that no one else wanted, which often means a game in which the home team is heavily favored over garbage, the least likely chance of an interesting upset/meaningful contest.

I'm guess that if those games were played on Sunday, the difference wouldn't be statistically significant.

Justin Smith is such a beast, nice gif FMT forgot about that play.

I'm not that far into Destiny, haven't even made it back to where the beta ended. I could see it possibly getting repetative, but I enjoy the shooting enough that I think I'll definitely play it for awhile. I even enjoyed the crucible game mode in the beta

Like I said, I get the perception. It's just a silly one. Buy into hype at your own risk and for this particular game its even more silly considering people had a fairly significant chunk of content to try with the beta.

Furthermore I may be the wrong guy to comment on this to begin with since I generally feel that game reviews are about as useful as the toilet paper I used to wipe my ass with this morning. ;)

See above.

Games like this are front loaded as hell to begin with. They were going to lose audience to Call of Duty in two months, anyhow. How much revenue have Activision generated from its release? I'd say they are likely pretty happy with how things sit today.

Someone in the review thread yesterday said that Activision still hasnt made any money yet when you factor in the devs plus marketing, not sure how accurate that is though.

As for my original point, Destiny being perceived as mediocre is bad. Console gamers don't stick around for potential; a game that doesn't hook them for the gradual suck dry will just be forgotten when the net big thing inevitably saunters by.
You may be absolutely right in that regard. Where it falls apart for me is that Destiny for all of its broo-haha about being some ambitious persistent world shooter - well isn't. Bungie isn't collecting a monthly subscription fee that informs how successful their game is or the revenue they have coming in. For all intents and purposes it very much falls under the traditional model of how shooters release in the market (including inevitable DLC packs which WILL sell). Its success is dictated by how many copies are sold and in that regard, the game is pretty much review proof at this point.

...and big :jnc if you actually think Destiny 2 won't be highly anticipated despite the "hammered" review scores. You yourself said it - gamers are a fickle bunch. They talk a lot of shit but its meaningless when the next big thing comes around.

Someone in the review thread yesterday said that Activision still hasnt made any money yet when you factor in the devs plus marketing, not sure how accurate that is though.
They know about as much as you or I know is my guess.;)

Bowser

Joe Person ‏@josephperson 21s
Report, singular. RT @ProFootballTalk Panthers say that DE Greg Hardy will not be cut today, contrary to reports.

Fox318

Joe Person ‏@josephperson 21s
Report, singular. RT @ProFootballTalk Panthers say that DE Greg Hardy will not be cut today, contrary to reports.

I still think its crazy that the NFL was more concerned about his face paint then if he should really be in the league.

I find it funny the 9ers suspended the radio guy but not McDonald

why is that funny? ted robinson is a representative of the 49ers and said some very insensitive things in public about janay. you can listen to it if you want.

ray mcdonald did nothing wrong. if he did the DA would have been all over this LAST friday, let alone this friday (gee they still haven't done anything, and they're usually so slow about this type of thing!). the bail amount also wouldn't have been $25k for mcdonald (as opposed to the usual $75k) if there was actually something that happened.

this is the kaepernick situation all over again. maybe not identical because kap was never arrested (and wasn't even there at the time) but the media wants to jump on us without any evidence. unfortunately for niner haters florio, kawakami and the rest of the country this will only make our team stronger. then when we win the superbowl it will taste even sweeter!

why is that funny? ted robinson is a representative of the 49ers and said some very insensitive things in public about janay. you can listen to it if you want.

ray mcdonald did nothing wrong. if he did the DA would have been all over this LAST friday, let alone this friday (gee they still haven't done anything, and they're usually so slow about this type of thing!). the bail amount also wouldn't have been $25k for mcdonald (as opposed to the usual $75k) if there was actually something that happened.

this is the kaepernick situation all over again. maybe not identical because kap was never arrested (and wasn't even there at the time) but the media wants to jump on us without any evidence. unfortunately for niner haters florio, kawakami and the rest of the country this will only make our team stronger. then when we win the superbowl it will taste even sweeter!
smh

eznark

Banned

Why does mister Hard on Women Beaters Jimbo Hardon still employ women beater Ahmad Brooks?

Crisco

Banned

The Panthers vs 49ers NFC Championship game is going to be awesome. Wife Beater Bowl!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom