• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 3 |OT| But Wait, There's A Flag On The Play?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ebron currently has 3 catches for 38 yards making virtually no impact so far.

Fuller currently has 2 interceptions virtually winning the game for the Bears against the 49ers.

Still ecstatic with that pic Kas? Seriously what the fuck was Detroit thinking not getting a CB in the first round?

I just love assumptions after the first two games of the season but it is the internet so it's normal.

BigAT

When do people realize NFL players are just as likely to commit crimes as everyday people in this country? The league itself is not some bastion of moral superiority it has a LOOONNNG history of employing and forgiving morally lacking people after the legal system deals with them. Why can't we just enjoy the games for what they are and stop acting like they are above making the same mistakes as the people in the stands?

I hate to see how goodell and tmz would have dealt with the 80s and 90s.

Wasn't there that chart that showed NFL players have more than a 50% higher rate of domestic violence compared to normal citizens? Several other crimes were higher as well.

Largely swept under the rug, the NFL and NFLPA reached an agreement on a new drug policy.

Now the countdown is on to see who is the first high-profile player to get busted for HGH

Brian Cushing always seems like a safe bet.

Guys, come up with a cool theme for the next OP for me to use.

Maybe historic QBs or maybe the greatest comebacks? Something like that. Or best RBs/TEs/Corners

eznark

Banned
^ Fat men scoring touchdowns.

"This is the best possible outcome given the circumstances," Peterson's agent, Ben Dogra, told The Associated Press of the Vikings' decision. "Adrian understands the gravity of the situation and this enables him to take care of his personal situation. We fully support Adrian and he looks forward to watching his teammates and coaches being successful during his absence."

AP gets paid and doesn't have to participate on a team that will lose 12 games. He seems stoked.

dionysus

Yaldog
Wasn't there that chart that showed NFL players have more than a 50% higher rate of domestic violence compared to normal citizens? Several other crimes were higher as well.

The exact opposite is true. This is just another summer of the shark for the media.

Blumstein and Benedict found that of the 342 black players in their sample, 97 of them, or 28 percent, had an arrest for one of these crimes. There were 77 whites in the sample; seven of them, or 9 percent, had an arrest

Those numbers appear high until we compare them with arrest numbers for the general population. The FBI’s Uniform Crime Reports provided the arrest data. For the general population, the arrest rate for assault for black men was 6,990 per 100,00, and for whites, 2,209.

The corresponding rate for NFL players, black and white, was less than half the rate for the general population.

More recently, USA Today published its USA Today NFL Arrests Database, which goes from 2000, just after the Blumstein-Benedict study, to today. Benjamin Morris at FiveThirtyEight’s DataLab used these data with the Bureau of Crime Statistics’ Arrest Data Analysis Tool to compare arrest rates for NFL players and the general population.

Morris looked only at the 25-30 age group, which most closely reflects the age of NFL players. What he found was that, again, NFL players have arrest rates far below the general population. Their arrest rates for domestic violence are half the rate of the general public, just as Blumstein and Benedict found. In addition, Morris found that NFL arrest rates for DUI were about one-fourth the general rate; for non-domestic assault, about one-sixth; for sex offenses, about one-half; and for non-violent gun-related offenses, about one-half.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I just love assumptions after the first two games of the season but it is the internet so it's normal.

To be fair, he has added nithing. You expect a first-round pick that high in the draft to do more.

That said, though, Jimmy Graham didn't really catch anything in his first 6 games. It is way too early to write off Ebron. Still should have went secondary with the pick.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
When do people realize NFL players are just as likely to commit crimes as everyday people in this country? The league itself is not some bastion of moral superiority it has a LOOONNNG history of employing and forgiving morally lacking people after the legal system deals with them. Why can't we just enjoy the games for what they are and stop acting like they are above making the same mistakes as the people in the stands?

Actually, they're less likely considering the arrest rate for NFL players is almost half of that of the general public per capita.

My problem is, the media and public would rather focus on a few asshats than the countless players that are always doing charity work, donating time and money to various causes. Oh look, JJ watt did another charity event, yawn. But commit a crime and its the end of the fucking world.

To be fair, he has added nithing. You expect a first-round pick that high in the draft to do more.

That said, though, Jimmy Graham didn't really catch anything in his first 6 games. It is way too early to write off Ebron. Still should have went secondary with the pick.

I've said before I don't know if Fuller was top ten quality. There has been productive rookies that wasn't a top ten pick(Randy Moss anyone) but for some reason or not they were never viewed as a top ten pick. If it's anyone in the secondary we should of got at the top secondary it's Ha Ha Clinton-Dix as mock drafts had us picking him or Ebron.

Narag

Brian Cushing always seems like a safe bet.

Guys, come up with a cool theme for the next OP for me to use.

Maybe historic QBs or maybe the greatest comebacks? Something like that. Or best RBs/TEs/Corners

Adam V. career retrospective. Put that vid of him tackling Herschel Walker in it!

Tom Penny

Actually, they're less likely considering the arrest rate for NFL players is almost half of that of the general public per capita.

My problem is, the media and public would rather focus on a few asshats than the countless players that are always doing charity work, donating time and money to various causes. Oh look, JJ watt did another charity event, yawn. But commit a crime and its the end of the fucking world.

I'd be surprised if 10% of the news on TV is dedicated to good things.

That's not exclusive to football. Or sports in general.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
BxvXMv7IIAAkyv0.jpg

Suck it, everyone else. I know where I'm watching games from now on!

Dragon

Banned

Just take a gander over on the Gaming Side over the GamerGate crap. It's by no means unique to any one medium. News always follows the negative over the positive because it gets more of an audience, sadly enough.

Boban make your friends play league games I need mah Madden fix.

I'm gonna play my game tonight and will try and stream it for you guys.

I know you guys can't wait to see Terrelle Pryor handing off to Latavius Murray and throwing it miles over the heads of Trindon Holliday and Ace Sanders. My offence is a big fuck you to Goodell and his neutering of defences around the league

jakncoke

Banned
And when I'm right like I was about Reggie last year (unless you're a stickler) then people will just say "broken clock blah blah". Can't win either way.

You werent right tho? You cant bend the facts or add in exempts after the fact breh. You were wrong.

Joe Person ‏@josephperson 2m
League source confirms #Panthers in discussions w/ league about putting Greg Hardy on commissioner's exempt list, a la Peterson.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I'm aware that its not exclusive to football, the point is the media blows things out of proportion to the point they are asking "does the NFL have an image problem?"

So let me get this straight, a few guys get indicted, at a lower rate than the general public, the media blows it out of proportion(thereby creating the image problem) then have the gall to ask, if the NFL has an image problem.
But they don't want to bother to do the actual research that says the NFL doesn't have an image problem.

Dragon

Banned
And when I'm right like I was about Reggie last year (unless you're a stickler) then people will just say "broken clock blah blah". Can't win either way.

Well Reggie certainly can't, being on the Lions and all!

This shit is so crazy and inconsistent. When's the next lockout?

What's inconsistent about it? Seems like bringing Hardy into the line that they just put Peterson is more consistent if anything. Lockout implies the owners are going to be the ones to initiate a work stoppage. Why would they do that? Their rationale "I can't play child abusers or mentally ill football players" isn't going to go over well.

Just watch a vid on all the final smashes in the new smash bros game. i'm glad they changed some of them like Luigi's and Kirby's. Overall alot of the new final smashes looks awesome

bionic77

I hate current society where everyone rushes in to say whatever someone did was wrong.

The overreactions are crazy.

We all knew that the Cowboys dynasty from the 90s was fueled with cocaine and dead hookers. I didn't give a shit then and I don't give a shit now.

I watch to see the games. These guys are just really athletic and good at sports. They are not role models (Tebow is the exception).

xnipx

Well Reggie certainly can't, being on the Lions and all!

What's inconsistent about it? Seems like bringing Hardy into the line that they just put Peterson is more consistent if anything. Lockout implies the owners are going to be the ones to initiate a work stoppage. Why would they do that? Their rationale "I can't play child abusers or mentally ill football players" isn't going to go over well.

Greg hardy should have been suspended 6 games once the new policy was put in place or they could wait it out until his trial and suspend him if he's guilty if they wanted to play the due process card. Either or.

And the hypocrisy of a freaking beer company playing the moral card is hilarious. I can't believe people are agreeing with this.

Dragon

Banned

When are you going to realize that appealing on the behalf of child and fiancee abusers makes you look like a total callous jackass?

The game won't exist when sponsors pull their money anyway which is the real reason the NFL is doing anything about this.

Greg hardy should have been suspended 6 games once the new policy was put in place or they could wait it out until his trial and suspend him if he's guilty if they wanted to play the due process card. Either or.

And the hypocrisy of a freaking beer company playing the moral card is hilarious. I can't believe people are agreeing with this.

You're all over the place.

The beer company that sells to families and doesn't want to support a product that seemingly ignores child abusers? Yeah okay. Again, you're supporting the wrong people. Then again you're a Ravens fan and besides BLarry I haven't seen one in this thread I'd ever want to have a conversation with.

jakncoke

Banned
Gata is like B Rabbit from 8 Mile except he can't rap and is 10 years younger.

:me

Shut up you drunk crackhead bum pig licker

gata it warms my heart knowing i'll never have to live in a 6 dollar 50 cent home surrounded by mountains of needles and bodies of overdosed heroin users in a sea of empty vagrant home neighborhoods. live strong brother, dodge the needle, dont squicken to the Lions

I don't give a shit about hypocrisy. Their contract with the league is $1.2 billion, and they've been the exclusive Super Bowl beer sponsor for almost 3 decades. Them even giving a threat is enough to make the league act.

Fuck hypocrisy, fuck PR. Whatever gets the job done is good enough.

xnipx

When are you going to realize that appealing on the behalf of child and fiancee abusers makes you look like a total callous jackass?

The game won't exist when sponsors pull their money anyway which is the real reason the NFL is doing anything about this.

Yes here u go again equating pointing out the flawed punishments as supporting domestic and child abuse. Sorry to burst ur bubble but there are plenty of child abusers and domestic abusers in the nfl and the real world. They serve their punishment and life goes on. If you want to support the cause then do that. Putting rice Peterson and hardy on the cross does nothing.

And i love how you keep slinging personal attacks yet are still allowed to post here.

shalise manza young ‏@shalisemyoung 1m
NFL announcement says 3 players allowed to return this wk under new drug policy rules: Wes Welker, Orlando Scandrick & Stedman Bailey.

Tom E. Curran ‏@tomecurran 1m
Players testing positive for banned stimulants in the OFFSEASON will no longer be suspended but will be referred to substance abuse program

football

xnipx

I don't give a shit about hypocrisy. Their contract with the league is $1.2 billion, and they've been the exclusive Super Bowl beer sponsor for almost 3 decades. Them even giving a threat is enough to make the league act.

Fuck hypocrisy, fuck PR. Whatever gets the job done is good enough.

What job is that? I'm pretty sure AP will face punishment through the legal system. If the league wants to suspend him according to their policy then fine. The way things are being handled is not getting any "job" done.

Dragon

Banned
Yes here u go again equating pointing out the flawed punishments as supporting domestic and child abuse. Sorry to burst ur bubble but there are plenty of child abusers and domestic abusers in the nfl and the real world. They serve their punishment and life goes on. If you want to support the cause then do that. Putting rice Peterson and hardy on the cross does nothing.

And i love how you keep slinging personal attacks yet are still allowed to post here.

You have reading issues dude. Saying something makes you look like a total callous jackass isn't calling you one, it's pointing out you're having a temper tantrum on behalf of criminals.

:jnc at the cross sentence. Holy shit I almost missed that. Yeah I feel really bad they're being unfairly maligned in the press for committing violent crimes against people. Oh the humanity.

eznark

Banned
What job is that? I'm pretty sure AP will face punishment through the legal system. If the league wants to suspend him according to their policy then fine. The way things are being handled is not getting any "job" done.

Playing in the NFL isn't a right. If the league doesn't want him to play they have the tools to remove him and are using those tools.

He was going to play Sunday. Everybody knew it. Then Nike and Anheuser-Busch released statements, and now he's on a list the commissioner had (that he rarely used before now but still) that bars people in legal trouble from playing until their issue's resolved. He's probably done for the year, and is absolutely not playing Sunday.

Seems like something's been done to me.

xnipx

Playing in the NFL isn't a right. If the league doesn't want him to play they have the tools to remove him and are using those tools.

Except the league and the PA have to agree to certain punishments for off the field conduct. Donte stallworth and Leonard little stayed in the league for fucks sakes.

:me

gata it warms my heart knowing i'll never have to live in a 6 dollar 50 cent home surrounded by mountains of needles and bodies of overdosed heroin users in a sea of empty vagrant home neighborhoods. live strong brother, dodge the needle, dont squicken to the Lions
At least I don't drink md

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom