• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 3 |OT| But Wait, There's A Flag On The Play?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was just a punch in the mouth to a team that got a little big for its britches. NFC South "tough" is a fuckload different than AFC North Tough.
Yeah. I'm not exactly sure what caliber of team the Steelers beat. Still. A dominant win is a dominant win.

I must say though, Kuechly is fun to watch. his read react is blazing fast. That said Pouncey ate him up. The 81 yard run happened because Kuechly went the long way to avoid Pouncey on the block and got burned. He was on his ass all night. Can't wait to re watch this game.

Jeez louise

FACK

Not enough weapons around Tannehill, wouldn't give up on him just yet. Doesn't deserve a pass, but it's hard to judge the guy given what's on the roster. At least they tried to seriously address the OL in the offseason. Don't think it's a well coached unit either, but I wouldn't worry about that because your owner won't hesitate to front serious $$$ if a good candidate becomes available.

Jim Schwartz is another awful fucking DC in the AFCE. How some thought this was a good hire is beyond me. Easiest way to tell if your D is ill prepared is how they deal with motion, shouldn't take more than a couple of hand signals to change up their assignments. Yesterday, everyone in the back seven was confused as to what they were supposed to do when the Chargers motioned, fucking ridiculous. All standing around looking at one another for direction. Probably hurts having a rookie MLB/WLB who is forced into action, but still, if you safety and nickel CB aren't on the same page, you're fucked. Williams/Robey/Gilmore didn't know who had who.

Funny that Graham is our best CB so far, but has to be rotated in. Everyone needs their fair share of playing time! Not shocked that he called out the scheme, playing time, and confusion. Can't stand Schwartz.
Yeah, Tannehill wasn't really the issue yesterday. His completion percentage sucked but so many incompletions came on passes to guys who were blanketed 1 on 1 in man coverage. The WR's just aren't creating seperation. Play-calling has gotten worse since the NE game for some reason and they aren't using a lot of the creative pre-snap motion stuff we saw in that game as much.

Also, Tannehill continues to get an insane amount of passes batted down at the line. I don't think this is mostly on him though, the interior o-line gets no push and Tannehill has a pathetically small pocket to work with on a consistent basis.

It's also crazy how many drops the Dolphins have this season. Quite a few are on Tannehill but not yesterday, he was hitting guys right in the hands and they just weren't making the catch.

Overall I am down on Tannehill but this offense is doing him no favors, in terms of personnel and coaching. I expected more from Lazor. :(

Bowser

Yeah. I'm not exactly sure what caliber of team the Steelers beat. Still. A dominant win is a dominant win.

I must say though, Kuechly is fun to watch. his read react is blazing fast. That said Pouncey ate him up. The 81 yard run happened because Kuechly went the long way to avoid Pouncey on the block and got burned. He was on his ass all night. Can't wait to re watch this game.

FACK

Hats off to your offense. I have never seen a team brutalize our front 7 in the run game like that. Fucking mauled all day long. Bell looks like the real deal, looks like he's well on his way to becoming one of the top 5 backs in the league.

Blowout losses don't mess with Cam's swag tho:

ByI7nmnIgAAxM7t.jpg

Colasante

Yeah, Tannehill wasn't really the issue yesterday. His completion percentage sucked but so many incompletions came on passes to guys who were blanketed 1 on 1 in man coverage. The WR's just aren't creating seperation. Play-calling has gotten worse since the NE game for some reason and they aren't using a lot of the creative pre-snap motion stuff we saw in that game as much.

Also, Tannehill continues to get an insane amount of passes batted down at the line. I don't think this is mostly on him though, the interior o-line gets no push and Tannehill has a pathetically small pocket to work with on a consistent basis.

It's also crazy how many drops the Dolphins have this season. Quite a few are on Tannehill but not yesterday, he was hitting guys right in the hands and they just weren't making the catch.

Overall I am down on Tannehill but this offense is doing him no favors, in terms of personnel and coaching. I expected more from Lazor. :(

It's simple: no 'shon, no offense. He was your best offensive player against the Patriots, by far. On a related note, I really wish the Patriots had signed him this offseason.

Hats off to your offense. I have never seen a team brutalize our front 7 in the run game like that. Fucking mauled all day long. Bell looks like the real deal, looks like he's well on his way to becoming one of the top 5 backs in the league.

ByI7nmnIgAAxM7t.jpg
Something something Hillary Clinton pantsuit.

Some great games this weekend. Watched the Cowboys v Rams which ended up being entertaining.

Denver v Seattle was ultimate entertainment. Great stuff.

It's simple: no 'shon, no offense. He was your best offensive player against the Patriots, by far. On a related note, I really wish the Patriots had signed him this offseason.
Did you see Miller's stats from yesterday? Lazor should have been feeding him the rock all day, he had probably the best game of his career.

Overall I agree, though. KnowMo changes the offense substantially.

So let's talk about that game last night.

Complete and utter crap.

Not only were we beaten in all three phases, we contributed to our own downfall with poor execution and silly mistakes. We gifted the Steelers 14 points where they deserved 3 because of the muffed punt and encroachment on the field goal. This was one of the most embarrassing games I've seen from this team in a while. My mind tends to the Giants game two years ago, but even that game was better than this one.

Some thoughts

Cam: I feel sorry for him. I really do. He's clearly hurting, but he's still in there getting walloped behind this offensive line (that played AWFUL last night). He's got the ball in his hands for entirely too long and I'm not sure if that's a product of the receiver routes taking too long to develop (if so, Shula needs to call more quick WCO style stuff) or the receivers not being able to get separation and present a target. The few times he had a clean pocket and time to throw, he threw the ball well. But he's been on his back entirely too much for my liking the past two weeks. He's a tough dude, but everybody has a limit.

What's Left of The Running Back Corps: Again the offensive line was awful and couldn't open any running room for the backs.

Kelvin Benjamin: Will be a superstar. All the doubters can kindly EAD

Defensive Line: Last night is when we really saw the absence of Greg Hardy take a toll on the line. The pass rush was mostly nonexistent outside of a few plays and Big Ben was able to get as clean looks as you would want. Twice the Steelers were able to run it out of their endzone for big gains, because McDermott gambled and brought extra rushers looking for a sack and safety. You'd have to believe that if Hardy was on the field, we would have stayed with four man pressure and let the linebackers stay home on those runs.

Linebackers: Not much to say other than they were just bad through and through. If you just read the boxscore you would see that Kuechly and Davis had something like 23 or 24 tackles between them, but that wouldn't tell just how outplayed they were. Again I believe some of that is down to scheme. Haley just flat out shat on McDermott.

Philly Brown: If I could, I would have a pink slip in his locker today. But, as you may or may not be aware, the Panthers have no depth at wide receiver. He's got to stay on. Muffing the punt is one thing, but muffing the punt and then proceed to run with it and subsequently getting it knocked loose is one of the worst plays I've seen.

Penalties: Silly, dumb, inexcusable mistakes, from the pass interference that set up their first field goal to the encroachment that took erased a defensive stop and gave them prime position to score another touchdown.

Offensive Line/Secondary: Not going to mince words on these two crews. They both stunk.

The season is still young and this definitely isn't the be-all/end-all. The defense will play better, we'll cut down on the bullshit mistakes. Remember last year, we got trounced at Arizona before going on our run. But it's definitely a momentum stumper in a game that we were expected to win. And with the way our schedule sets up, that performance is not what we needed right now. Starting with Baltimore next week, we play 9 of our next 10 games against playoff caliber teams including 5 straight against teams that made the playoffs last year, with trips to Cincinnati, Green Bay, and Philly.

Primetime game at home against a team that was struggling a bit coming in? The legitimate contenders put those away.

ProFootballTalk @ProFootballTalk · 2h

Per source, Chris Baker and Jason Peters won't be subject to suspension following today's ejections.

I am stunned that Baker wont be suspended for his cheap shot. That is exactly the type of thing that the league should be tough on.

ShaneB

The Bills and Chiefs exposed the Dolphins for what they really are, a team that's badly coached, soft, and deprived of talent. Every year I go into the season hoping it won't be the case again but I've seen enough to know what this team is now.

"Best" case scenario they go 8-8 but at this point even that would surprise me somewhat. The past two years the Dolphins hung around in nearly every game they played, but this season they are getting destroyed in all phases of the game by mediocre teams.

As a fan I always hope blowing everything up isn't the answer but you can only deny it for so long. The fact is this team isn't going anywhere with Philbin and they probably aren't going anywhere with Tannehill either. Also, Philbin's DC Kevin Coyle is trash but for some reason he's been flying under the radar since coming to Miami. The D has gotten worse every year since he's been in charge.

The team has a few young pieces to build with but it needs to be done with some major changes. Of course, the biggest issue is still the owner, Stephen Ross, who is completely incompetent so there is really no hope while the team is under his control.

Like I said, I want in the shame circle.

=(

I'm just saying the season is young, and anything can happen in the mean time. I can't make heads or tails out of that division, so beats the heck out of me. It's changing from week to week!

edit: and yes the Bengals look really good. And the earlier discussion, I meant to say about Andrew Luck, as per Football standards, he is completely terrible until he wins a Super Bowl, and not fit for any team!
I'm kidding

manfestival

ByI7nmnIgAAxM7t.jpg

dude doesnt care

cajunator

Banned
My game thoughts from Eagles-Redskins:

The Good

-Nick fucking Foles. My boy came to play today, finally. That was a man's game. Behind a patchwork defensive line, after getting knocked around all day including a total cheap shot, he puts up 325 and 3. I saw a comment on Twitter after the game that there are only a handful of QBs in this league who could play a game like that under those conditions (no running game, patchwork Oline, under duress all game) and I totally agree. He's going to have his ups and downs, because he's young plus all QBs have good and bad games, but make no mistake, this is a franchise QB.

-Cody Parkey. Although it wasn't at the end of regulation, it was another game-winning field goal for the kid. And this one was from 50+. It's so nice to have a kicker with a good leg again.

-Jordan Matthews and Jeremy Maclin. After much hand-wringing over the lack of production from the WR spot and whether this group was good enough, these two combined for 16 receptions for 213 yards and 3 TDs. That's the thing with this offense. Who you want to take away? Want to take away our WRs and we'll run the offense through our RBs and TEs. Want to take away our RBs and TEs and we'll use our WRs.

-Malcolm Jenkins. This signing was bashed a lot on here and elsewhere, but Jenkins has been a much better player than Byrd or Ward over the first 3 games of the season. A leader in the locker room and a play-maker on the field, he's the best safety the Eagles have had since Brian Dawkins.

The Bad

-The pass rush. It has been nonexistent the past 2 games. This defense has only 3 sacks on the season, all in the first game. Kendricks being out yesterday really hurt as he is our best blitzer. But the front four need to get more pressure.

-LeSean McCoy. It's been 3 games now and we haven't really been able to get Shady going. I think part of it has to do with our offensive line being in shambles, but Sproles has managed to make some big plays behind these guys. Yesterday McCoy probably should have sat out the rest of the game after that helmet-to-helmet hit. He looked hesitant the rest of the game. Hopefully he busts out soon.

The Ugly

-Washington's defense. I guess Haslett is so out of options against Chip's offense that he has resorted to cheap shots and dirty play to try to slow them down. Baker's hit on Foles was the most prominent example, but there were a bunch of other late hits and helmet-to-helmet shots in that game from Washington's D. Classless. (On a related note: I love me some Jason Peters.)

Overall, another ugly win but this one was more encouraging. The offense looked better than in the first 2 games, especially Foles. We just need to find a pass rush, get our O-line healthy again and we can be legit contenders. 3-0, baby!

Im just telling you so you dont get hurt later. Jenkins is overachieving at the moment so dont get too used to this.

LevelNth

Banned
I think this year is definitely a sub .500 year for the Packers but the young defense has looked great for 7 quarters so that is something.
Same for the Niners, but instead of our young players looking good, no one has been suspended/arrested yet!

Pretty damn successful season so far.

Tom Penny

It's pretty simple to see Miami's issues. They blow their load against the Pats and then play like trash for a while. This isn't some new phenomenon. It's pretty much happened for over a decade.

=(

I'm just saying the season is young, and anything can happen in the mean time. I can't make heads or tails out of that division, so beats the heck out of me. It's changing from week to week!

Clearly the Bills are going to run away with it.

I watched a good amount of the Fins game yesterday and I dont see how they can turn stuff around. It is one thing to have a QB complete 50% of his passes if he is Flacco throwing bombs all day, but when you throw a ton of short stuff you cant have that many misses and have any kind of any offense. There was a sequence when the Fins had the ball in the 3rd down by one score at around their own 40 and on 3rd and 4, I believe, Tanny badly over threw an open guy in the flat that would have been an easy first down. Obviously all the misses are not on him but man he is so inconsistent. Fins should be in first place easily in this division and yet they cant put together a solid game in all three areas. Hopefully Harbs will have better luck next year with this team.

eznark

Banned

ByI7nmnIgAAxM7t.jpg

Dressing like a woman is "swag" now?

Skins loss had me going to ly down

This is why I wanted Hocker. I need a leg that can kick it out the endzone. Special teams has consistently lost us games going on two years now.

We won't be good this year. Offense is probably good enough to have us around 8-8. Thought the defense might be coming around but...nah.

Good news is with all the skill positions filled out we should be dramatically improved next year. No worries about TE's, RB's, WR's, none of that nonsense. Just pure gorwn man positions in the draft...and we have a first this year.

Getting Orakpos contract off the books should help. He's a fraud and injury prone.

Halls injury might be career ending.

What's weird to me is how the Dolphins passing game has regressed even with an improved o-line and running game. Tannehill showed great chemistry with Clay, Gibson, and Hartline last season, and all of those guys have disappointed. Does Lazor's offense actually suck? Is Tannehill a slow learner? I don't really know what's going on.

Honestly I thought Tannehill's accuracy was fine yesterday. Stats are deceiving.

bionic77

ByI7nmnIgAAxM7t.jpg
Is that real?

Ugh @ our injuries.

At least we have an excuse when Tampa lights us up next week!

Greg

What's weird to me is how the Dolphins passing game has regressed even with an improved o-line and running game. Tannehill showed great chemistry with Clay, Gibson, and Hartline last season, and all of those guys have disappointed. Does Lazor's offense actually suck? Is Tannehill a slow learner? I don't really know what's going on.

Honestly I thought Tannehill's accuracy was fine yesterday. Stats are deceiving.
the receivers used to fear the consequences of dropped passes, but now they don't have Richie to keep them in check

bionic77

Excellent win last night, though perhaps with some severe consequences. Defense definitely looked better and got some good pressure, though I'm not sure how quality Carolina's o line is and Cam didn't play the Steelers like most teams do with quick three step drops and throws. Still, it was refreshing to see the Steelers beat the shit out of a QB again. Hopefully this will silence the bridge jumpers, at least for a few days.

The story of the night was our offense. My favorite play all night was when Decastro put Kuechly on his ass for fucking with Justin Brown. Those are penalties you take every day. Beautiful to see our o line get nasty again. They brutalized a dominant Panthers D. Lebackfield had a great game, but they had college size holes to run through last night.

Ike. Hate for him to go out like this. Dude's been so consistent for so long.
Best play of the night for me was that TD pass to Brown.

Insane play by Ben.

Kevin Coyle used Cameron Wake and Jason Trusnik to cover a WR. Both plays were TD's for Kansas City.

Miami Herald article says the players were "beyond furious" with his defensive scheme for the game. Glad it's not just me!

eznark

Banned
Same for the Niners, but instead of our young players looking good, no one has been suspended/arrested yet!

Pretty damn successful season so far.

The 49ers (and Kaep in particular) being hot ass garbage is really taking the edge off the impending awful Packers season for me.

The other thing is that the Packers can kind of coast a little after their bye. Four of their first six games are on the road, and they don't play another good front 7 until the last week of the year when they get the Lions at home (who will probably be resting starters after locking up the division with 9 wins).

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
The 49ers (and Kaep in particular) being hot ass garbage is really taking the edge off the impending awful Packers season for me.

The other thing is that the Packers can kind of coast a little after their bye. Four of their first six games are on the road, and they don't play another good front 7 until the last week of the year when they get the Lions at home (who will probably be resting starters after locking up the division with 9 wins).

Wut? Kaep was fantastic yesterday. Doubly so considering he had zero time to throw. I was listening to the game on the radio and it was almost comical how this became a run-on sentence by the play-by-play guy (bob fitzgerald) - "ball is snapped kap under pressure!".

The offensive and defensive lines are hot garbage. So is the play-calling. Kaep is pretty much the only thing keep them afloat at all.

ShaneB

Kevin Coyle used Cameron Wake and Jason Trusnik to cover a WR. Both plays were TD's for Kansas City.

Miami Herald article says the players were "beyond furious" with his defensive scheme for the game. Glad it's not just me!

Was just about to post this for you. They talked about on the Around the NFL podcast as well.

eznark

Banned
Wut? Kaep was fantastic yesterday. Doubly so considering he had zero time to throw. I was listening to the game on the radio and it was almost comical how this became a run-on sentence by the play-by-play guy (bob fitzgerald) - "ball is snapped kap under pressure!".

The offensive and defensive lines are hot garbage. So is the play-calling. Kaep is pretty much the only thing keep them afloat at all.

Ultimately if you score 14 points, you didn't play "fantastic" as a QB. 46% third down conversion isn't fantastic.

He was definitely better than he was last week though.

Ultimately if you score 14 points, you didn't play "fantastic" as a QB. 46% third down conversion isn't fantastic.

He was definitely better than he was last week though.

Could the bar be set any lower. Last week he singlehandedly lost a game that they basically had won to Cutler of all people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom