• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 3 |OT| But Wait, There's A Flag On The Play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burt

Baker isn't getting suspended for an inexcusable, indefensible sucker shot on a quarterback that triggered a brawl?

Goodell probably just hasn't seen the tape yet.

Ray Lewis is good for ratings. ESPN doesn't care at all. I'm assuming they were smart enough to know what they were getting into when they hired a flaming piece of shit that tries to blind everyone with piety and thinks that he's the godfather of the NFL.

Fuck Miamil. Fuck Tampa. And fuck Goodell.

Tannehill blames the loss on his footwork. Well go fucking rent Footloose, and maybe you'll throw the ball better.

Hopefully he gets the boot next season.

ShaneB

I've been meaning to thank you for turning me on to that podcast, it's pretty good! I haven't listened to the recap of the game yesterday yet.

Far and away the best football podcast. I know Dameshek gets hated on here, but I love his podcast too. I've wanted to find more football podcasts, but they've all really lacked the group fun mentality of Around the NFL guys.

gutshot

Im just telling you so you dont get hurt later. Jenkins is overachieving at the moment so dont get too used to this.

Maybe so but Texans fans were telling us how mediocre/bad Connor Barwin was, and he turned out to be one of our best defensive players last season. Our personnel dept seems to do a good job of identifying guys who maybe aren't the most talented but are perfect scheme fits.

Also, the Eagles have employed a string of hot garbage at safety for the past few years. Just competent safety play is exciting to see.

zychi

Banned
Ultimately if you score 14 points, you didn't play "fantastic" as a QB. 46% third down conversion isn't fantastic.

He was definitely better than he was last week though.

I saw a ton of dropped passes by the 9ers yesterday and little to no time for Kaep. Was it just my brain messing with me?I wasn't actively watching the game, but I had it on

Maybe so but Texans fans were telling us how mediocre/bad Connor Barwin was, and he turned out to be one of our best defensive players last season. Our personnel dept seems to do a good job of identifying guys who maybe aren't the most talented but are perfect scheme fits.

Jenkins makes good plays but then both safeties will be out of position and the CB will get beat for a long TD. Overall he has been better then I expected but I am still not sold on him as the long term answer at all. Their secondary has to be one of the worst in the league still, Kirk fucking Cousins threw all over them.

You think ESPN regrets giving Ray Lewis a job?

Why do people say shit like this?

ESPN WANTS CONTROVERSY. It drives ratings than a motherfucker. They're probably licking their chops at all the attention this is getting.

I saw a ton of dropped passes by the 9ers yesterday and little to no time for Kaep. Was it just my brain messing with me?I wasn't actively watching the game, but I had it on

You saw excuses you say?

A few bits to look at from yesterdays game. The offense is still very much work in progress but I'm pleased to have seen some real movement movement forward over the last two weeks. The offensive line over the past two games in particular has started to settle in. John Jerry, for as terrible as many said he is has been a really strong run blocker for us. They ran behind him and Pugh a ton yesterday and gained good yardage. Hyno was only in for 18 of the offenses near 70 snaps, too. Fells/Donnell picked up the slack on the blocking front and acquainted themselves well.

Here's a look at two of Jerry's block. Both have Jerry (#77) as the pulling guard blasting the linebacker out of the play and springing Jennings for 10+ yard pickups.

ivLxHDCzyiw7q.gif

iPsHvCbjwGwVM.gif

Here's Jerry one on one with Watt, while Pugh (#67) seals Mike Mohamed out of the play and Donnell (#84) moves him man creating a big hole for Jennings to run through:

ibxgHDH7nRgt3v.gif

These are not rare plays either. The Giants line manhandled the Texans front 7 all game long and they didn't really do anything fancy in the process. Simple traps/pulls or straight power scheme right at the middle/right side of the line more often than not.

In the process, the pass protection the past two weeks has held up pretty well and (surprise!) Eli doesn't look entirely incompetent in this offense in the process. (Don't look now but he has a 65% completion percentage).

That said I'm a realist though. This team has a long ways to go. They all need to play more consistently on offense, the defense still has far too many breakdowns and the Benny Hill road show that is our special teams is frequently frustrating but hopefully this is movement in the right direction for us.

Oh and just for fun, it was good to see Vic get his head out of his butt and do his thing:

ilPuckIVUkiL5.gif

eznark

Banned

I was at my folks this weekend so I didn't have my normal command center of every game on unfortunately. Basically just looking at the numbers Kap was hardly the problem yesterday.

That was more of a general "the offense is blah and Kap has looked real awful at times" statement than a specific comment on his game yesterday.

That's third on my list to watch today though!

What's weird to me is how the Dolphins passing game has regressed even with an improved o-line and running game. Tannehill showed great chemistry with Clay, Gibson, and Hartline last season, and all of those guys have disappointed. Does Lazor's offense actually suck? Is Tannehill a slow learner? I don't really know what's going on.

Honestly I thought Tannehill's accuracy was fine yesterday. Stats are deceiving.

I thought so too, tannehill wasnt the issue yesterday, the play calling and wrs were, at least on offense, not to mention a bad day from the defense and hot/cold special teams. I cant wait for the film break down but regardless of the issues Im done with philbin and coyle, they need to go, I'm not high on lazor either, he called a great game against the pats and has had maybe 2 or 3 good drives since then. I don't know if his offense relies heavily on moreno but miller was having the day of his life while our wrs were doing no favors for tannehill and he refused to use the run game. At this point the best case senario is a complete collapse and cleaning house mid season.

LevelNth

Banned
Ultimately if you score 14 points, you didn't play "fantastic" as a QB. 46% third down conversion isn't fantastic.

He was definitely better than he was last week though.

The 49ers (and Kaep in particular) being hot ass garbage is really taking the edge off the impending awful Packers season for me.

The other thing is that the Packers can kind of coast a little after their bye. Four of their first six games are on the road, and they don't play another good front 7 until the last week of the year when they get the Lions at home (who will probably be resting starters after locking up the division with 9 wins).
Honestly Kap is the least of my worries. I was hoping last week was just one of those games, and it definitely was. You can pin the 14 points or third down conversion on him if you'd like, but that completely discounts just how poor the game plan was and how little prepared they were for any Cardinal adjustments.

Kap finished 79% for 245 and a TD and was 5 of 6 on 3rd down in the first half. 3rd down fell off a cliff in the second half and we scored zero points. Problem is we have one of the worst OC's in the league, we gave Gore + Hyde 9 rushes all game and leaned on Kap running way, way too much.

Kap is not the problem. The problem is our decimated D, horsepoop playcalling and constantly doing stupid crap and getting flagged.

eznark

Banned
Why is GB's offense scoring like the Pats offense?

Because they are fucking abysmal.

That would have been tied for 2nd in the league overall last year.
Relatively speaking. Given the way they were moving the ball otherwise though you would hope it would be higher. He completed damn near 80% of his passes and was only sacked once. I'm looking forward to watching the third down plays. Seems like it was probably a play calling issue.

bionic77

Joke post? Joke post!
We did lose 2 of our best 3 players on defense to injury.

And while Ike is not one of those 3 best players it doesn't help to lose him either.

I honestly won't be surprised if Tampa drops 30 on us.

Also won't be surprised if they get shut out.

When garbage goes against garbage the only thing you can easily predict is that the end result will stink. But it is hard to see which piece of garbage will rise and end up on top.

Colasante

All the Panthers have to do is hold the Falcons and Saints off for that 8-8 NFC South crown and then be the Shit Team of Destiny!

Whatever happens this season, the Panthers are better set up for the future than any other NFC South team. I think they're going to be a contender for years to come. Gettleman is a wizard, you have a franchise QB, the salary cap is finally becoming less of a quagmire, and you'll be able to get Williams and Stewart off the books next season. Fret not, for the future is bright!

Chip is a god tier offensive mind

The roster really isn't that impressive

Going to be scary when they get more draft picks to play with in the coming years

manfestival

We did lose 2 of our best 3 players on defense to injury.

And while Ike is not one of those 3 best players it doesn't help to lose him either.

I honestly won't be surprised if Tampa drops 30 on us.

Also won't be surprised if they get shut out.

When garbage goes against garbage the only thing you can easily predict is that the end result will stink. But it is hard to see which piece of garbage will rise and end up on top.

Did you not see 56-0 on Thursday or something? We can't beat a first, second, or third string quarterback. We have lots of key players injured as well. McCown is not one of those key players because dude refuses to let go of the ball.

linkboy

Here's a breakdown of how a 49ers game goes this year

They come out looking great and look like they're going to run over their opponent.

Halftime

Roman and Harbaugh take everything they learned in the first half and throw it away.

A huge penalty happens, justified or not

Then the team just goes to shit.

Yesterday, Arizona had no answer for the 49ers when they went spread. Stevie Johnson was ripping them a new one and Roman and Harbaugh's answer was to take him out and put Lloyd in.

San Francisco needs to drop the read option and the pistol. It's not fooling anyone anymore and is hindering Colin's development as a QB (he's never going to be a pure pocket passer though).

With the defense playing as bad as it is, the 49ers need to play a more ball control offense. Long drives to milk time off the clock. Keep the defense on the sideline, since they can't seem to get there themselves.

BigAT

Hats off to your offense. I have never seen a team brutalize our front 7 in the run game like that. Fucking mauled all day long. Bell looks like the real deal, looks like he's well on his way to becoming one of the top 5 backs in the league.

Blowout losses don't mess with Cam's swag tho:

ByI7nmnIgAAxM7t.jpg

I didn't know NFL players did avatar bets too.

Crisco

Banned
All the Panthers have to do is hold the Falcons and Saints off for that 8-8 NFC South crown and then be the Shit Team of Destiny!

If Cam were himself, I'd still give us the best odds for winning the division. Our defense has been worked before, like in the Patriots game last year, but Cam was able to keep coming up with big first downs with his legs and answering with TDs. He can't be Houdini this year, the offensive line needs to step up or we'll only beat shitty teams like the Lions.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
A few bits to look at from yesterdays game. The offense is still very much work in progress but I'm pleased to have seen some real movement movement forward over the last two weeks. The offensive line over the past two games in particular has started to settle in. John Jerry, for as terrible as many said he is has been a really strong run blocker for us. They ran behind him and Pugh a ton yesterday and gained good yardage. Hyno was only in for 18 of the offenses near 70 snaps, too. Fells/Donnell picked up the slack on the blocking front and acquainted themselves well.

Here's a look at two of Jerry's block. Both have Jerry (#77) as the pulling guard blasting the linebacker out of the play and springing Jennings for 10+ yard pickups.

ivLxHDCzyiw7q.gif

iPsHvCbjwGwVM.gif

Here's Jerry one on one with Watt, while Pugh (#67) seals Mike Mohamed out of the play and Donnell (#84) moves him man creating a big hole for Jennings to run through:

ibxgHDH7nRgt3v.gif

These are not rare plays either. The Giants line manhandled the Texans front 7 all game long and they didn't really do anything fancy in the process. Simple traps/pulls or straight power scheme right at the middle/right side of the line more often than not.

In the process, the pass protection the past two weeks has held up pretty well and (surprise!) Eli doesn't look entirely incompetent in this offense in the process. (Don't look now but he has a 65% completion percentage).

That said I'm a realist though. This team has a long ways to go. They all need to play more consistently on offense, the defense still has far too many breakdowns and the Benny Hill road show that is our special teams is frequently frustrating but hopefully this is movement in the right direction for us.

Oh and just for fun, it was good to see Vic get his head out of his butt and do his thing:

ilPuckIVUkiL5.gif
yea Texans got manhandled yesterday, couldnt do anything to stop the run. And couldnt get to Eli. A competent coach like Coughlin saw the Redskins tape and said, oh the redskins are running for 6 yards a carry out of 3 receiver sets? We can do that too. And he didnt give up on it either, like Gruden did.

But if Foster would have played the Texans defense would have been better and won the game. According to that guy that isnt aware that there is a player named Brandon Marshall that plays defense for the Broncos.

I just want another winning record without any devestating injuries. That alone would be a franchise milestone. All of this team's projected weaknesses were confirmed last night, and until we get out of Hurney hell, we're stuck dumpster-diving to fill gaps.

MRSA

Banned
Yeah but they are sending him out to die though. Kirk Cousins is a franchise QB. Shannahan had it right.

I think he's only been sacked twice this season. Raiders line providing good protecting and the rookie is getting rid of the ball quickly.

Although his favorite target is out with a broken foot (Rod Streater), we'll see how he adjusts.

Branch broke his foot as well, a weak secondary just got even weaker.

dionysus

Yaldog
Texans have been bad against the run all year. I expect we will see every team copy the Giants from here on out until the Texans find some way to stop it.

Saints fans, what is a good place to get good analysis and breakdowns of the Saints? Fucking Dallas being the default Fox television game in Houston is getting old.

Next three Dallas games saints, Texans, Seahawks. Fucking brutal, I fully expect to lose all of those games.
Isn't Dallas strong with the run this year? I expect you will destroy the Texans.

I stopped playing DOTA because of the late game throws. Little did I know it would carry over to the Niners...

I thought Kap played well yesterday (was on point 1st half). To me it was the playcalling and O-line. It was weird abandoning the 4-5 WR sets when the Cards were clearly struggling to stop it. I'm guessing when Arizona started blitzing more, Roman decided to call up more protection and go into more traditional sets (which failed). One thing that I'll be interested in seeing is the All-22 analysis for this week. Kap tucked it in to scramble a lot and it just looked like he didn't even bother looking downfield when the pocket collapsed. I'm curious to see if anyone was actually open or was it the case that all his receiving options were covered and he actually needed to scramble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom