• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 3 |OT| But Wait, There's A Flag On The Play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eleuin

BBT isn't that bad. It's mindless, somewhat entertaining and Melissa Rauch is smoking hot. Typically it's usually on in the background while browsing the internet in the hotel room because TBS plays like 4 hours of it.

I knew anime fans have bad taste because the Gundam people made 08th MS Team (which was awesome). Yet the demand must be missing for another ground based Gundam series because they inexplicably never return to the idea again....therefore anime fans suck.

It's horrible how the show presents incest between teenagers as perfectly reasonable. Oh and we'll throw in a nude shower scene of the 14 year old girl being distraught because emotional damage is sexy. Where the hell are these kids parents?

Oh that's right, apparently marrying off their comatose 17 year old daughters to 30+ year old men.

So much awful and I'm leaving stuff out for sure.
ib0QmYLL3apxWu.png

ib0QmYLL3apxWu.png

ib0QmYLL3apxWu.png

ib0QmYLL3apxWu.png
ib0QmYLL3apxWu.png
ib0QmYLL3apxWu.png

going off twitter seems like expect some Hardy news today from the Panthers.

He'll be put on the exempt list. Just left the Panthers facility with Rosenhaus saying a decision has been made but not specifying.

Greg Hardy will get paid 770,000 dollars a week to sit on his ass. I need to get in the weight room and get my woman tossing skills up

Odell Beckham not expected to play vs the Texans. Can't believe this dude was the #12 overall pick :jnc

Jadaveon Clowney is out for weeks ...Can't believe that dude is a #1 overall pick. *derp*

I don't get what being injured has to do with draft position?

Why?

Analysts boosted the stock in late spring with talk of Destiny. It makes sense that the investor who bought in May because they believed in Destiny would cash out upon release. If you bought in May and sold in September, you made $2 a share on a $20 company. Nice, fast money.

activision stock is worth 2x what it was before they bought Bungie, has dropped 0.1x since Destiny released.

Lets console war this logic into Destiny being an albatross.

Fucking kids trying to talk financials. Always amazing.
Ez read my post again. Nothing console wars at all. Destiny is on both consoles. Future and I had talked about how well it did at launch. I

eznark

Banned
so where do you draw the line? Considering several of the players are being punished before the legal system has finished.

Suspended and banned at any accusation?
Or does it have to go to indictment?
Or does it have to go to finished trial/plea deal?

What's to stop people from making shit up to just get people suspended?

The problem with zero tolerance policies is that they leave no area for grey. And in other areas, have been shown to disproportionately affect minorities than whites.

I don't disagree with you that playing in the NFL is not a right, it is a privilege. However, I also believe in second chances and certainly not a fan of which hunts and ridiculous public outrage and the guilty until proven innocent.

The only two reasons shit has hit the fan lately is because Goodell fucked up the original suspension of Rice and because there was video evidence that was released. If those two didn't happen he way they did, none of this would be as blown out of proportion.

5 person panel charged with determining when there is enough evidence to act. 1 NFLPA, 1 NFL, 1 ACLU, 2 independent arbiters.

The independent arbiters are hired by a committee made up of former players and executives appointed jointly by the NFLPA and NFL and are compensated via separate fund controlled only by the committee, seeded by the two organizations and funded by the fines and penalties the panel meets out.

While a player is being investigated he is suspended with pay, no exceptions. The "time served" will count towards the eventual suspension if found guilty.

I just whipped this up on the fly. Probably some holes but the basic premise is this: you have no right to an NFL career.

Isn't this the guy with a sore hamstring for, what, 2 months now?
Yeah...again what does that have to do with draft positioning? People get injured and his case he aggravated the injury coming back to soon during the summer.

Shit happens. Not that I'm happy about it or anything. Coughlin sure as fuck isn't but the Giants just had a running back taken in the first retire because of a fluke career ending neck injury. Can't believe he was taken in the first!!

It's all just bad luck.
Of course it is. Sucks, but it is what it is.

MechDX

I thought it was a groin????

Regardless, maybe having no.90 is a curse. Mario Williams was always fucking hurt.
Got paid though.

I wonder if anyone at NRG said "hey JD you may want to pick a different number." Personally 90 & 8 should be forever removed from the franchise.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Everyone who said they heard the radio interview said it was taken out of context. Did they play the interview or just read the words?

I believe it was taken out of context a bit. He got on Twitter yesterday to clarify his comment by saying there is a difference beating spanking a child for discipline and beating a child.

As for this week, Caldwell is sticking with Freese again as kicker. Sigh.

Looks like Greg Hardy is next:

It appears a decision on Greg Hardy is coming soon.

On his way into practice, Panthers coach Ron Rivera told multiple reporters that his controversial defensive end would not be practicing today, but didn’t respond to any questions about his status.

Hardy then left the stadium, accompanied by agent Drew Rosenhaus, who said a decision had been made.

Rivera was late coming out to practice, so he was likely inside the team’s facility in a meeting about his franchise-tagged defensive end, who is expected to be dealt with by the league soon for the domestic violence charges against him.

LevelNth

Banned
The "time served" will count towards the eventual suspension if found guilty.
This is my prediction as to what will happen to AP. He'll likely miss 4-6 weeks resolving the case, and once completed, those weeks will accrue towards whatever suspension the NFL applies (IMO either 4 games for Personal Conduct or 6 for DV).

Why?

Analysts boosted the stock in late spring with talk of Destiny. It makes sense that the investor who bought in May because they believed in Destiny would cash out upon release. If you bought in May and sold in September, you made $2 a share on a $20 company. Nice, fast money.

activision stock is worth 2x what it was before they bought Bungie, has dropped 0.1x since Destiny released.

Lets console war this logic into Destiny being an albatross.

Fucking kids trying to talk financials. Always amazing.

Almost as amazing as when they talk politics.

Crisco

Banned
Black & Blue Review @BlackBlueReview · 8m
Not practicing:
—Benjamin
—DeAngelo
—Tolbert
—Bell
—Chandler
—Philly

Also, Thomas Davis started, talked to trainers, took off pads.

That's a lot of starters, wtf. Didn't hear about any injuries after the game.

This is why we signed that RB off the Redskin's PS lol,

eznark

Banned
This is my prediction as to what will happen to AP. He'll likely miss 4-6 weeks resolving the case, and once completed, those weeks will accrue towards whatever suspension the NFL applies (IMO either 4 games for Personal Conduct or 6 for DV).

You think he walks then?

If the league has the legal backing of a child abuse conviction his career is over.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Please check out ESPN's Sportscenter poll today and look at which states disagreed with the Vikings suspending Peterson. Here's a hint: they're all where you would expect. Even Minnesota agreed with the decision.

For the love of god can change your avatar just pick a different team and root for them? Cause you just look absolutely pathetic.

:lol :lol :lol

Get a life. I'm the first to cheer when they play well. The Lions played horrible on Sunday. If you couldn't see that, you're blind and a homer. Ignore list +1.

xnipx

5 person panel charged with determining when there is enough evidence to act. 1 NFLPA, 1 NFL, 1 ACLU, 2 independent arbiters.

The independent arbiters are hired by a committee made up of former players and executives appointed jointly by the NFLPA and NFL and are compensated via separate fund controlled only by the committee, seeded by the two organizations and funded by the fines and penalties the panel meets out.

While a player is being investigated he is suspended with pay, no exceptions. The "time served" will count towards the eventual suspension if found guilty.

I just whipped this up on the fly. Probably some holes but the basic premise is this: you have no right to an NFL career.

So under this hypothetical policy. Someone could accuse Peyton manning of something and the broncos have to sit him while the investigation plays out?

eznark

Banned
Sure, but it doesn't take a whole lot of time to prove something completely baseless.

The result would be that people who care about playing on Sunday wouldn't put themselves in positions to be accused of stuff Monday through Saturday.

:lol :lol :lol

Get a life. The Lions played horrible on Sunday. If you couldn't see that, you're blind and a homer. Ignore list +1.

Lions fans here have never liked you Plinko, but at the end of the day, every single year, year in and year out, you are proven correct.

xnipx

You think he walks then?

If the league has the legal backing of a child abuse conviction his career is over.

Like when the league had the legal backing of a drunk driving manslaughter conviction. Or a drug kingpin conviction.

Do you consider pouring bleach on a child to be abuse btw? I'm not saying I support child abuse but people were more surprised about his gun collection than his crime around here(nobody cared outside the area)

In my experience, the people who yell, "Don't tell me how to raise my kids!" are the exact same people who most need to be told how to raise their kids.

My Facebook feed is full of people saying that their parents "whooped" them and they turned out great. News flash: No, you didn't. None of you are poster children for the successes of spanking.

eznark

Banned
Like when the league had the legal backing of a drunk driving manslaughter conviction. Or a drug kingpin conviction.

Do you consider pouring bleach on a child to be abuse btw? I'm not saying I support child abuse but people were more surprised about his gun collection than his crime around here(nobody cared outside the area)

Sam Hurd is back?!

Terrell Suggs should be out of the league.

Not sure who else you are referring to re: drug kingpin.

Drunk driving manslaughter out of the league.

The problem for Peterson (unlike Brent of Leutke in the MLB) is that he is way too high profile to be let back in, unless he does serious prison time like Vick and "serves his debt" which makes us all feel totally cool about that guy again! Like Martha!

Dragon

Banned

Arguing from history over and over again and thinking it's relevant to what's going on now. Times have changed. Deal with it bro.

Is the drunk driving manslaughter guy Josh Brent? Because he spent 6 months in jail this year, was out of the league for the season last year, and is also out for 10 games this year. It's kinda dumb that the Cowboys will bring him back, but you can't say he wasn't punished. You could even say his punishment will continue when the Cowboys pick him up, because he'll be on the Cowboys.

I get what you are saying but also...I don't care. No one has a right to play in the NFL and the league wouldn't be worse off if the league had a zero tolerance policy for domestic violence (including child abuse).

It doesn't have to be about being role models, how about just not rewarding pieces of shit? It happens every day in corporate America, why should the NFL be any different.

I have no argument there.

Thing is though this is an endemic problem. As Spectral said above many of these players become accustomed to preferential treatment as early as grade school. Look, recently an entire town tried to cover up an alleged rape because it involved said town's star football players. The NFL is just as guilty of this. Look how Goodell spent more time trying to bury Rice's trangressions rather than unearth them. As I said when it happened that is the true indicator of his integrity, and by proxy the league he governs. You want a zero tolerance policy for all members of he NFL regardless of talent or tenure? Better start by replacing the commish.

My Facebook feed is full of people saying that their parents "whooped" them and they turned out great. News flash: No, you didn't. None of you are poster children for the successes of spanking.
Why is "whooped" being conflated with abusing a child with switches though? You can take whatever stance you like on the traditional definition of spanking (i.e. slapping a kids hand or spanking them in the butt with your hand), etc. Thats none of my business. What does that have to do with grabbing a tree branch and drawing blood from a 4 year old child?

Dragon

Banned

Thing is though this is an endemic problem. As Spectral said above many of these players become accustomed to preferential treatment as early as grade school. Look, recently an entire town tried to cover up an alleged rape because it involved said town's star football players. The NFL is just as guilty of this. Look how Goodell spent more time trying to bury Rice's trangressions rather than unearth them. As I said when it happened that is the true indicator of his integrity, and by proxy the league he governs. You want a zero tolerance policy for all members of he NFL regardless of talent or tenure? Better start by replacing the commish.

I don't think anyone here will argue on Goodell's behalf but it seems like a false choice. It's still improving by disciplining these players for their bad behavior.\

Why is "whooped" being conflated with abusing a child with switches though? You can take whatever stance you like on the traditional definition of spanking (i.e. slapping a kids hand or spanking them in the butt with your hand), etc. Thats none of my business. What does that have to do with grabbing a tree branch and drawing blood from a 4 year old child?

I had a coworker today talk about being switched. The whole argument of: "I was okay and I was hit" vs. a four year old getting switched is some serious false equivalency.

eznark

Banned

The commissioner (and owners) should be removed as much as possible from the disciplining process. They have too much at stake.

(Specifically for off the field incidents obviously)

You think he walks then?

Call me skeptical but I doubt AP gets convicted of anything. He'll skate off his star power.

I don't think anyone here will argue on Goodell's behalf but it seems like a false choice. It's still improving by disciplining these players for their bad behavior.\.

Here's always been my problem with Goodell and his approach towards discipline. He always does just enough to shut the issue up (unless it's an "us vs. them" issue like player safety or Bountygate") this is for obvious reasons - too much negative noise hampers the NFL's moneymaking machine. The act of Goodell even being involved in these matters is a conflict of interest. Eznark made a great point - give the power to an independent commision divorced from the commisioner and the day to day aspects.

So far Goodell hasn't done this, which frankly opens him up to all of the scrutiny possible with situations like this, and deservedly so.

eznark

Banned
I think he'll plea out basically so we'll never know. I don't see the point in a trial since the facts aren't in dispute. His lawyer and the county will negotiate an acceptable punishment.

The very fact that they are saying "whooped" instead of "hit" is meant to downplay the whole thing. "You sure whooped him good!" is just a cover term to hide what we're really saying.

eznark

Banned

Because people who were physically abused by their parents need to find some way to cope with it, euphemisms help.

brentech

Call me skeptical but I doubt AP gets convicted of anything. He'll skate off his star power.
I think if he 'skates' away, it's because precedent in this type of case or it somehow gets thrown out. His star power probably brought it on, if anything.
I don't think an ordinary citizen is likely to have something that happened months ago come up on them in most situations

I had a coworker today talk about being switched. The whole argument of: "I was okay and I was hit" vs. a four year old getting switched is some serious false equivalency.
My mother was hit with switches and electrical cords when she was young. She disciplined her children in similar ways.

By most every definition we've gone through in this thread, I was abused as a child. My mom used to take thin plastic slippers to the back of my thighs to the point where she left welts. Though I was 8-10 years old at that point. When I got older she graduated to one of those thick yellow whiffle ball bats to the arms when I pissed her off enough (and as a young teenager I used to it on purpose to test limits). Am I "ok" as an adult? Sure. Did it ever alienate me from my mother/father? No. I'm very close with my parents today. Did I deserve that as a child? Of course not. Would I ever do that to my children? Fuck no. The most my kids have ever gotten is a slap on the hand from me. There are better ways to discipline kids without going to that level of extreme behavior - period.

The thing that really bothers me is that in less than a year AP lost a child that he barely knew anything about (and seemingly didn't give a fuck about) to child abuse, then tears up another (possibly two) to astonishing degree. What kind of parent is thus guy?

LevelNth

Banned
You think he walks then?

Essentially yes. They aren't even going after a charge of child abuse, because they know it's dead in the water. Reckless injury will be difficult because it conflates with the lawful allowance of corporal punishment in the state of Texas. Because of this, and by proving that the child understood why he was punished, proving the injury risks the life or well being of the child is next to impossible.

Long story short, I can easily see a plea down to a Class A misdemeanor charge of parental neglect.

Some people might go nuts at this, but frankly, the case is in Texas. The initial dismissal and reasoning behind it of the first grand jury on the indictment will also be a huge roadblock for any prosecution.

gutshot

Geoff Mosher @GeoffMosherCSN
Cary Williams said nothing gained practicing v DeSean because DeSean didn't practice like he played. "Practice means nothing."

Cary Williams highlighting one of the reasons DeSean likely got jettisoned from the Eagles.

eznark

Banned
Essentially yes. They aren't even going after a charge of child abuse, because they know it's dead in the water. Reckless injury will be difficult because it conflates with the lawful allowance of corporal punishment in the state of Texas. Because of this, and by proving that the child understood why he was punished, proving the injury risks the life or well being of the child is next to impossible.

Long story short, I can easily see a plea down to a Class A misdemeanor charge of parental neglect.

Some people might go nuts at this, but frankly, the case is in Texas. The initial dismissal and reasoning behind it of the first grand jury on the indictment will also be a huge roadblock for any prosecution.

I thought that was proven to be bullshit and never happened?

MechDX

Im seriously considering getting Destiny to tide me over until November and I have been reading the official OT thread and I have no clue what anyone is talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom