• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 3 |OT| But Wait, There's A Flag On The Play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon

Banned
My mother was hit with switches and electrical cords when she was young. She disciplined her children in similar ways.

By most every definition we've gone through in this thread, I was abused as a child. My mom used to take thin plastic slippers to the back of my thighs to the point where she left welts. Though I was 8-10 years old at that point. When I got older she graduated to one of those thick yellow whiffle ball bats to the arms when I pissed her off enough (and as a young teenager I used to it on purpose to test limits). Am I "ok" as an adult? Sure. Did it ever alienate me from my mother/father? No. I'm very close with my parents today. Did I deserve that as a child? Of course not. Would I ever do that to my children? Fuck no. The most my kids have ever gotten is a slap on the hand from me. There are better ways to discipline kids without going to that level of extreme behavior - period.

Shit man that's awful. Glad you're breaking the pattern.

I never got physically abused as a kid, the worst I would get is my dad constantly berating me over stupid shit which is easily ignored. Can't imagine it frankly.

Im seriously considering getting Destiny to tide me over until November and I have been reading the official OT thread and I have no clue what anyone is talking about.

People are upset about how the really good weapons (Legendary and Exotic) are incredibly hard to get via drops. But you can get them in other ways, by playing the crucible, doing strikes and building up points in various factions. I also got an Exotic weapon bounty that I'm going to finish if I break down 8 more rifles.

MechDX

People are upset about how the really good weapons (Legendary and Exotic) are incredibly hard to get via drops. But you can get them in other ways, by playing the crucible, doing strikes and building up points in various factions. I also got an Exotic weapon bounty that I'm going to finish if I break down 8 more rifles.

How do you join a faction?

xnipx

I also love how bush is being painted as some child abuser because he stated he would(future tense) discipline his child if she acted up when she got older(but not abuse, which is what AP did). Every person who physically disciplines their child is not an abuser nor immoral "pieces of shit"

I also love how bush is being painted as some child abuser because he stated he would(future tense) discipline his child if she acted up when she got older(but not abuse, which is what AP did). Every person who physically disciplines their child is not an abuser nor immoral "pieces of shit"

What could a 1 year old do to deserve physical discipline? Describe in graphic detail, because it's hard to believe otherwise.

eznark

Banned
The prosecuting lawyer is the one who stated this. It also explains why there has been such a gap between this indictment and when AP testified before the original jury.

Yeah, but the story that PFT references when saying the first GJ didn't move forward doesn't actually say it anymore and I can't find a reference to it.

I did see a tweet from a Minnesota beat reporter saying the prosecuting attorney said there was only one grand jury.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
So what about spanking/etc that doesn't leave any kind of bruising or welts?

For some naive reason I thought this was what spanking was all about for most of my life for everybody. I always thought the whole idea behind it was more the shame and embarrassment rather than any kind of pain. It's designed to break down a child's prideful disobedience not to literally make them suffer physically. Generally at some age it quits working so you switch over to taking stuff away or grounding them.

And then I heard stories about wooden spoons, belts, switches, slaps across the face, etc. Crazy stuff.

Fox318

The past two weeks has told me one thing.

Bud Selig did an ok job.

MLB doesn't have a domestic violence issue to the likes of the NFL.

I've read the Bush quotes dozens of times and at no point do I think he's saying he physically disciplines his 1 year old. He's saying he would when they get older, if they need it, but hopefully they don't. How is that hard to understand? Its as if they asked someone with a pregnant wife if they'd do it.

Forget right or wrong about the issue, we're vilifying Bush for things he said he might, but hopefully won't do, and that's pretty shitty.

eznark

Banned

Bud Selig did an ok job.

18s4aw8k83gjujpg.jpg

I'm actually really enjoying Destiny, even with its flaws. The core gameplay is just so fun and polished and I love the environments and aesthetics. Also, the loot and progression systems have hooked me good, even if they are done better in other games.

I hit level 19 last night about half-way through the Mars stuff. Almost time for the end game grind, I'm curious to see how that'll hold my attention.

bionic77

Bud Selig did an ok job.

:lol

The commish can't stop players from being violent assholes.

This shit has been going on in the NFL for as long as I have been following it. Almost every team in the NFL (if not every team) will have at least one player who has had issues with domestic violence (if not more). The only difference is the media coverage and reactions thanks to the internet.

Lets not kid ourselves. Football is an inherently violent sport. A lot of the players abuse drugs and brain injuries are epidemic.

Goodell is a fuckup not because of the players getting in trouble. That will always happen. He is a fuckup because of the limp wristed manner he handles everything that doesn't involve more money for the owners.

xnipx

What could a 1 year old do to deserve physical discipline? Describe in graphic detail, because it's hard to believe otherwise.

Or maybe he meant. That's how he plans on disciplining her when she's older. Just a hunch tho.

And Look at this thug spreading his sick views on child abuse smh

Carlos Monarrez ✔ @cmonarrez
Follow
Calvin Johnson: "I'm going to discipline my children. And can't nobody tell me how to discipline my children."

Sephzilla

For some naive reason I thought this was what spanking was all about for most of my life for everybody. I always thought the whole idea behind it was more the shame and embarrassment rather than any kind of pain. It's designed to break down a child's prideful disobedience not to literally make them suffer physically. Generally at some age it quits working so you switch over to taking stuff away or grounding them.

That's pretty much exactly how it worked for me.

Once it gets to the using objects and leaving welts stage it stops being discipline and becomes abuse IMO.

MechDX

Or maybe he meant. That's how he plans on disciplining her when she's older. Just a hunch tho.

And Look at this thug spreading his sick views on child abuse smh

Players just need to shut it about child raising at this point. Bush's comments are so far out of context now and it will be damning.

Sure, but it doesn't take a whole lot of time to prove something completely baseless.

The result would be that people who care about playing on Sunday wouldn't put themselves in positions to be accused of stuff Monday through Saturday.

Lions fans here have never liked you Plinko, but at the end of the day, every single year, year in and year out, you are proven correct.
A Lions fan who's loved by fans of division rivals. Lol did he really put me on ignore. My feelings is hurt I'll go in a corner and cry now.
Didn't know you can ignore people on here not that I'd ever use it.

bionic77

Whats more harmful.

Beating your small child with a stick or making them wear a Tom Brady Jersey?

Just something to think about before you all rush to judgement!

Jason Cole ‏@JasonPhilCole 8m
#Panthers DE Greg Hardy has agreed to go on Commish Exempt list. Paperwork pending.

Panthers defensive ends

Charles Johnson
Mario Addison
Frank Alexander (suspended to week 5 for substance abuse)
Wes Horton
Kony Ealy

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Jason Cole ‏@JasonPhilCole 8m
#Panthers DE Greg Hardy has agreed to go on Commish Exempt list. Paperwork pending.

Panthers defensive ends

Charles Johnson
Mario Addison
Frank Alexander (suspended to week 5 for substance abuse)
Wes Horton
Kony Ealy

Steelers offensive tackles

Kelvin Beachum
Marcus Gilbert
jakncoke

Fox318

Nah

The difference is in the MLB, they don't even pretend to give a shit and everyone lets them skate on it.

When did MLB ever trot a battered wife out to a press conference like the Ravens did? Or completely fuck up everything like the Vikings just did?

Goodell tried to shame the victim. Baseball sadly did what most of society and the legal system has done in domestic violence.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
When did MLB ever trot a battered wife out to a press conference like the Ravens did? Or completely fuck up everything like the Vikings just did?

Goodell tried to shame the victim. Baseball sadly did what most of society and the legal system has done in domestic violence.

So mlb is a better organization because of their apathy? Give me a break.

Zeke

Now megatron is speaking? Guys need to keep their mouths shut nothing good is going to come of it. Only exception is foster ripping the beer sponsor the other day that was pretty good.

Slo

You know what, if slicing open the scrotum of a helpless 4 year old child is what it takes to get slo to post again, then I applaud 4 Year Old Son #5 for his sacrifice.

Its called The Butterfly Effect. Even the most mundane, insignificant appearing event in Texas can have important impacts to someone 1200 miles away.

manfestival

I feel like the only way for the bucs to win tomorrow is if they bring steven stamkos to play every position that we have a need for during the game

Fox318

So mlb is a better organization because of their apathy? Give me a break.

None of the other commissioners have fucked up on this level.

Nobody will talk about Bettman letting Spanos buy the Islanders or the expansion issues like they will about this in the future.

Scrub Alex Rodriguez will be blackballed from the league at the end of his contract if not earlier, so MLB's starting to win me over in some categories.

Still, fuck Herr Bud.

Bud Selig cracking down on the roid abuse he turned a blind eye to for years after congress shit down his throat is being a good commissioner?

eznark

Banned
None of the other commissioners have fucked up on this level.

Nobody will talk about Bettman letting Spanos buy the Islanders or the expansion issues like they will about this in the future.

Brett Myers beat the fuck out of his wife in the middle of the street in Boston. He didn't even get fined by the league.

Josh Lueke is a convicted rapist pitching for the Rays.

I like Bud Selig, but let's not get stupid here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom