• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 3 |OT| But Wait, There's A Flag On The Play?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jonathan Jones ‏@jjones9 14m
Mike Tolbert said the hit Nick Fairley laid on him was the hardest hit he's ever received in a game.

Kas! You can use this in one of your asinine arguments for your defensive line!

Joe Person ‏@josephperson 17m
Mike Mitchell on Greg Hardy:"He's one of the better pass-rushers in the NFL. I don't think they're going to get better not having him play."

Probably not. But they sure as hell look better without Mitchell though.

Jonathan Jones ‏@jjones9 14m
Mike Tolbert said the hit Nick Fairley laid on him was the hardest hit he's ever received in a game.

Kas! You can use this in one of your asinine arguments for your defensive line!

Joe Person ‏@josephperson 17m
Mike Mitchell on Greg Hardy:"He's one of the better pass-rushers in the NFL. I don't think they're going to get better not having him play."

Probably not. But they sure as hell look better without Mitchell though.

I remember when we drafted Mitchell some say it was a bust others would argue it was a huge bust.

gutshot

On a side note, this past offseason the Saints handed Jairus Byrd a six year, $54 million contract, with $26.3 million guaranteed. Byrd has six solo tackles this season. According to ProFootballFocus, he has four missed tackles.

Are my fellow Eagles fans ready to admit they were wrong and the Eagles were right about passing on Byrd?

Patriots7

Good look at what's wrong with the Pats offense or more specifically Brady. Looks like what I have been saying all along. Brady has other guys open he just doesn't trust them for whatever reason. The issue right now is not the WRs it's Brady period. The dude just can't get over Edelman/Gronk. Has blinders for only those two, and the offense suffers because of this.
Amendola was in on 9 out of 23 passing plays and only open on one of them, after TB had already hit Edles.

LaFell could be open in the end zone all game and I wouldn't trust him to catch a cold.

Dobson ones are good points.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I actually think we'd be better off with many of the other QB's in the league than Brady, and not necessarily just the top ones. He's really forcing throws and his accuracy is suffering badly for it. He's always aiming for these nearly impossible windows and while he used to be able to hit those quite a bit, he's missing more often than not nowadays. And when half the Pats offense is predicated on the short passing game, you need a QB who can hit these throws. His one redeeming feature is that he doesn't turn the ball over much. He at least has the good grace to throw balls that not only the receiver cant catch, but neither can the DB. Doesn't do us a whole lot of good, but at least he's not a walking disaster.

Really completes the 'literally looks like shit' color scheme of the Browns.

Yeah we'd be better without Brady, but not much (edit- and I mean it would take a top 10 QB). I disagree with your reasoning though. Brady has been fine on the shorter tosses, even though the short yardage targets are garbage for him. His major issue is coming on anything beyond 10-15 yards. This leads me to my next point and one of the major issues with this team since he got here, Josh McDaniels...

Has anybody ever noticed the similarities between McDaniels career path and Mike Martz? I mean this guy was heralded as an offensive genius after leading an offense to numerous records and being debated as the best offense of all time. They both then went on to be head coaches, one of them (martz) lucky enough to be gifted all the pieces that made him successful in the first place. We quickly found out that these guys were a case of extreme circumstances. To this day Josh is still calling for the same shit he has for years, he wants a 37 year old man to throw deep down field to receivers less than 6 feet tall. The most efficient I've personally seen this Pats offense was with BOB, the year Welker racked in just about 1700 yards. It was all about picking apart the weak spots on the defense, being careful with the ball, and playing to the strengths the pats had. Health was the issue with this team, yet they still came within a few plays of winning the superbowl, and again they set records or close to that year. Since Josh has come back we've reverted to that 07 style, with Tom making these bizarre decisions, throwing to a blanket receiver. In 07 Moss was pulling stuff down through triple even quadruple coverage (dolphins game in the endzone). in 13/14, wes welker, Julian Edelman, Danny Amendola, etc. are on the receiving end. Not sure why Josh doesn't understand what it was that made 07 work, not to mention Tom doesn't have that kind of arm strength anymore.

Needless to say all these rumors of Josh being Bills guy to take the reigns terrifies me

xnipx

This Flacco missing practice news and Harbaugh not saying why...

tumblr_n53b8vCAOg1smcbm7o1_500.gif

He has a cold lol. He's a true hero for not coming to work sick and risking infecting his coworkers.

I love Flacco, but come on.

Flacco can't beat the computer at Madden, you think he could beat a living woman? smh

First, we had animal abuse.

Next, we had spousal abuse.

Then, there was child abuse.

Guys, I'm just throwing it out there, but could Flacco be the perpetrator of......elderly abuse?

It's a wait-and-see game, now.

TheFatOne

Amendola was in on 9 out of 23 passing plays and only open on one of them, after TB had already hit Edles.

LaFell could be open in the end zone all game and I wouldn't trust him to catch a cold.

Dobson ones are good points.

Don't care open is open. Lafell could have had a few catches had Brady looked his way. He doesn't want to throw to anyone other than Edelman or Gronk right now, and that's a major issue. I wish I could look at the game tape. Want to see if there were any other situations were these guys were open.

Guys, I'm just throwing it out there, but could Flacco be the perpetrator of......elderly abuse?

Flacco's too boring to be a criminal. He probably spends all his spare time sitting in a room all day staring at a blank wall.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

Sounds like it's time for you to start the rumor and pay off some old people to say that he beat them!

brentech

Green Bay Packers – Performances of Note

Mike Daniels, DE: +5.1

Breakdown: The Jets’ left guard Brian Winters looked like a changed man last week after a disastrous rookie campaign. That is, until Winters met Mike Daniels who just handed him the worst grade of his career. Daniels needed only 46 snaps to record five stops, a sack, a hit, and two hurries en route to the best-graded game of his career. He now leads all defensive linemen with 10 run stops on the season. The third-year end, quite simply, could not be single blocked in the run game by the Jets’ guards and was a factor on almost all of his 22 snaps against the run.

Signature Play: At 1:51 in the third quarter, the play after he was flagged for illegal hands to the face, Daniels’ performed his patented swim move on Brian Winters for a quick sack.

Tramon Williams, CB: +2.2

Breakdown: Without a doubt the second-most impressive defender for the Packers this season has been cornerback Tramon Williams. On Sunday he played about as flawless a game as you can play in coverage. Targeted six times, Williams allowed one catch for zero yards and added an interception as well as a pass breakup. The cornerback has still yet to be downgraded on a pass into his coverage this season.

Signature Stat: On 11 targets this season, Williams has yielded a passer rating of 7.0.

Glad to see Daniels graded out as well as he looked

gutshot

One of my best mates is friendly with the Flaccos. Trust me, there isn't any domestic abuse going on there. The dude is a big doofus. He's been with the same girl since high school.

Tom Penny

Good look at what's wrong with the Pats offense or more specifically Brady. Looks like what I have been saying all along. Brady has other guys open he just doesn't trust them for whatever reason. The issue right now is not the WRs it's Brady period. The dude just can't get over Edelman/Gronk. Has blinders for only those two, and the offense suffers because of this.

Brady definitely keys on Edelman too much who by the way has caught 80% of his targets this year...and Gronk. The question is if you have read 1, 2 and 3 and read 1 is immediately open is he supposed to throw to him or wait to see if other guys get open then read 1 is no longer open. I can't answer that. He obviously has to get other people involved. Now plays like 3rd and 2 and you throw a post route to Edleman is just dumb..he's obviously not the first option and higher percentage plays are probably there. I don't know how often he's doing this.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The Megatron one is absolutely perfect--not able to complete the process of the catch.

gutshot

Jnc no fucking way. Bryd is recovering from injury. Lets see how he looks at the end of the year.

The injury was probably one of the reasons they didn't want to sign him. It's certainly looking like that was a good decision.

What is not looking like a good decision though was to draft Marcus Smith. They've got him taking reps at ILB now since they are so thin there. Maybe he will actually see the field now...

http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2014/09/17/marcus-smith-now-practicing-inside-lb/

Mifune

Mehmber
Why do people treat PFF as gospel? Especially when it comes to linemen, it's pointless to assign individual grades when you have no knowledge of the playbook or game plan.

TheFatOne

Brady definitely keys on Edelman too much who by the way has caught 80% of his targets this year...and Gronk. The question is if you have read 1, 2 and 3 and read 1 is immediately open is he supposed to throw to him or wait to see if other guys get open then read 1 is no longer open. I can't answer that. He obviously has to get other people involved. Now plays like 3rd and 2 and you throw a post route to Edleman is just dumb..he's obviously not the first option and higher percentage plays are probably there. I don't know how often he's doing this.

I don't mid if he throws it to Edelman or Gronk if they are immediately open, but he has forced some really terrible throws. He consistently throws to these guys when they are double/triple covered, and that's the problem. His accuracy is also a big issue on throws longer than 10-15 yards. Wish I could watch the all 22 though.

gutshot

Why do people treat PFF as gospel? Especially when it comes to linemen, it's pointless to assign individual grades when you have no knowledge of the playbook or game plan.

It's really hit or miss. The fact that they had Brandon Boykin rated as one of the worst special teamers in the league was a joke. The guy is the best gunner I've ever seen. I don't know if any place keeps track of punts downed inside the 10, but he has to be leading the league in that category.

The injury was probably one of the reasons they didn't want to sign him. It's certainly looking like that was a good decision.

What is not looking like a good decision though was to draft Marcus Smith. They've got him taking reps at ILB now since they are so thin there. Maybe he will actually see the field now...

http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2014/09/17/marcus-smith-now-practicing-inside-lb/

Yeah that pick looks terrible so far. Eagles had to many holes for a project that is going to be years away.

Mifune

Mehmber
It's really hit or miss. The fact that they had Brandon Boykin rated as one of the worst special teamers in the league was a joke. The guy is the best gunner I've ever seen. I don't know if any place keeps track of punts downed inside the 10, but he has to be leading the league in that category.

Yeah, they also treat every play equally when it comes to QBs, so a 30 yard strike has the same effect as a two yard dump off. Strikes me as the worst way possible to evaluate QBs - maybe that's why they have Tannehill as the number two QB in the league.

brentech

Literally the first time I've ever posted anything they said. Also, merely said, "he graded out as well as he looked". I thought he played well, they thought so to.

GOSPEL TO THE PEOPLE

Narag

Imagine how many picks Bill is going to get when he has to include Gronk when he trades Brady to Cleveland.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom