• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 3 |OT| But Wait, There's A Flag On The Play?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Condolences, and my thoughts are with you, wienke :[

Are you people ready for more football

IbL7182.png

Go Bolts
We need a development league, but this is not the answer. I don't think the A-11 is either. Go back to Europe please.

eznark

Banned
Those are like the most worthless analytics ever. Foles has like the worst completion percentage in the league.

He throws deep a lot and he doesn't get sacked. For some reason that I can't even begin to fathom, those are the two numbers that all members of the nascent NFL stats community have determined are most important.

Baffles me.

33. Derek Carr
34. Ryan Tannehill
35. Tom Brady

Seems legit.

Actually, now that I see this, it is completely redeemed.

He throws deep a lot and he doesn't get sacked. For some reason that I can't even begin to fathom, those are the two numbers that all members of the nascent NFL stats community have determined are most important.

Baffles me.

He's playing like shit and completely beneath his actual capabilities right now. He shouldn't be anywhere near the top currently. If he can put up last years numbers by the end of the season it would be different but if he plays like he is now he should be embarrassed.

jakncoke

Banned
Would think for a new small league they'd try to stay in one region at first to keep travel costs down but I guess they give no fucks as I see Portland and Austin has teams coming as well.

My father passed away this morning.

No parents, grandparents, siblings, wife, kids, pets or anything left. Feels bad man.
Sorry for you loss, wienke.:(

Don't know if this was posted but Chip Kelley on DeSean's release:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ad-zero-off-field-issues-with-desean-jackson/

Eagles coach Chip Kelly is preparing to face DeSean Jackson for the first time since cutting him in the offseason, and Kelly claims that the only reason he cut Jackson is that Jackson didn’t fit the profile of his offense.

Asked how much concern Kelly had about Jackson off the field, Kelly answered, “Zero.”

So why was Jackson cut?

“Yeah, just trying to build the overall team in terms of what we’re looking for offensively and how we wanted to get bigger at the wideout spot and that’s what we did,” Kelly said.

Crisco

Banned

Baffles me.

It's just the "sabermetrics" of the NFL. Completion percentage doesn't matter, a failed attempt at a big play is better than a successful little play. Also not taking bad plays (sacks) is equally important.

That ranking is fucking dumb though, as is any that doesn't have Rodgers at 1.

Sorry for you loss, wienke.:(

Don't know if this was posted but Chip Kelley on DeSean's release:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ad-zero-off-field-issues-with-desean-jackson/

It's pretty much the conclusion of the media here in Philly that Jackson didn't buy into Chip Kelly's system, and for that reason Chip Kelly didn't want him around. I think it's pretty dumb. They should have kept him around for another year and tried to see if their drafts panned out or they could get another good receiver if that was the problem.

IMO they should just put Boykin on Jackson all day Sunday. Although I think Boykin may be next on Kelly's cut list for some insane reason.

eznark

Banned
It's just the "sabermetrics" of the NFL. Completion percentage doesn't matter, a failed attempt at a big play is better than a successful little play. Also not taking bad plays (sacks) is equally important.

That ranking is fucking dumb though, as is any that doesn't have Rodgers at 1.

Yeah but I have yet to read any research that says those two lead to scoring more points, or that the risks of an interception/fumble (not unlikely outcomes of rushed delivery) are worth the negative impact of a sack.

Sabermetrics works because it is built on 30 years of research that went into understanding what increases the likelihood of a Run. It seems to me that these football wannabe stat nerds skipped the underlying, fundamental work that is required and simply started assigning random values to Visible outcomes.

I think my favorite exchange ever with someone at PFF was his insistence that QB's had absolutely, literally, without a doubt ZERO impact on yards after the catch. That one was a real winner for me, and showed just how far these lazy clowns have to go.

Spinluck

Just curious when Smash comes out are gonna NFL-GAF it up? I'll probably get my ass kicked in the game though since I play Link but it's cool

Hell yeah, both versions for me.

My father passed away this morning.

No parents, grandparents, siblings, wife, kids, pets or anything left. Feels bad man.

Aw man, sorry bro :(

Sorry to hear that wienke. My condolences. I wish I could give you an Exotic in Destiny!

Got an Exotic last night, felt good man.

FFXII hasn't been announced as an HD remake right? That was just a wonderful dream I had?

Best Final Fantasy.

1. Nick Foles
2. Matt Stafford
3. Austin Davis
4. Joe Flacco
5. Matt Ryan

Advanced Football Analysis is my new Gospel.

http://wp.advancedfootballanalytics.com/playerstats.php?pos=QB
Best list ever. Fokles at the top is a joke but Brady in last is the truth.

It's pretty much the conclusion of the media here in Philly that Jackson didn't buy into Chip Kelly's system, and for that reason Chip Kelly didn't want him around. I think it's pretty dumb. They should have kept him around for another year and tried to see if their drafts panned out or they could get another good receiver if that was the problem.

IMO they should just put Boykin on Jackson all day Sunday. Although I think Boykin may be next on Kelly's cut list for some insane reason.

I think Billy Davis hates Boykin. He only play 20 of 70 snaps the first game, havent seen his stats for the second game but I bet they are similar. They want big people in every spot, fuck talent size is all that matters.

Yeah but I have yet to read any research that says those two lead to scoring more points, or that the risks of an interception/fumble (not unlikely outcomes of rushed delivery) are worth the negative impact of a sack.

Sabermetrics works because it is built on 30 years of research that went into understanding what increases the likelihood of a Run. It seems to me that these football wannabe stat nerds skipped the underlying, fundamental work that is required and simply started assigning random values to Visible outcomes.

I think my favorite exchange ever with someone at PFF was his insistence that QB's had absolutely, literally, without a doubt ZERO impact on yards after the catch. That one was a real winner for me, and showed just how far these lazy clowns have to go.

The thing that bothers me about putting emphasis on low sacks as a positive rating for a QB is that like 80% of that has nothing to do with the QB and everything to do with the line.

Konka

Banned

I'm still willing to trust Chip. He has proven that he can make any necessary half time adjustments and has put together the leading offense in the league through 2 games with poor QB play.

Everyone continues to talk shit about Brady yet he will go out and lead the Pats to 10/11 wins again.

Yay for playing weak competition? Do you think all these lists that keep putting him at or near the bottom are just doing it to be mean? Even Pats fans will say that he has not played well this year.

eznark

Banned
The thing that bothers me about putting emphasis on low sacks as a positive rating for a QB is that like 80% of that has nothing to do with the QB and everything to do with the line.

Every sack is different. Most sacks that Rodgers takes are his fault. The sacks that David Carr takes he is just fucked on most of the time. Big Ben is a nice mix. Cam, most of them are his fault, etc...

But, Rodgers has stated time and time and time again that he would rather take the sack than risk a pick/fumble trying to get the ball away under duress. I think it's a sound strategy as long as you have faith in your offense to move the football.

@VicTafur
Mark Davis and Reggie McKenzie aren’t talking. So that 2-week window before the bye for Dennis Allen to turn things around seems about right

We have our first HC-in-danger of the season!

I'm still willing to trust Chip. He has proven that he can make any necessary half time adjustments and has put together the leading offense in the league through 2 games with poor QB play.

Yeah, I think he's doing a good job. I can sort of see with how the offense works that it might be tough to get it to work smoothly without a full buy in from the team. If one person doesn't hustle back to the line they can't get plays communicated and snaps off effectively. If they don't take the time to learn what seems like a very complicated signalling regime they won't be as effective as they could be. Maybe Jackson whined about putting up blocks for the the running game. Who knows. I don't know if any of that justifies cutting a player who opened up the field vertically in such an incredible manner.

Every sack is different. Most sacks that Rodgers takes are his fault. The sacks that David Carr takes he is just fucked on most of the time. Big Ben is a nice mix. Cam, most of them are his fault, etc...

But, Rodgers has stated time and time and time again that he would rather take the sack than risk a pick/fumble trying to get the ball away under duress. I think it's a sound strategy as long as you have faith in your offense to move the football.

I completely agree with Rodger's philosophy. But when Foles plays with guys like Jason Peters at tackle and Evan Mathis and Jason Kelce in front of him, he's just not going to take many sacks regardless of what he does. Even with Mathis and Johnson out he's not getting any pressure in the pocket. I think that, more than anything, led to his lack of INTs last year. He had all day to wait and make the throws he wanted, and he was very reluctant (too reluctant) to just throw the ball up and let receivers make the play. It's still the offensive line that did most of the dirty work to allow him that option. When Rodger's takes sacks it's not even necessarily from bad play, it's because sometimes taking a sack is the best play on the field.

MechDX

Yay for playing weak competition? Do you think all these lists that keep putting him at or near the bottom are just doing it to be mean? Even Pats fans will say that he has not played well this year.

And the same shit is spewed at the beginning of every seasonthe last few years and he just keeps winning games.

I've beat the "beating teams in a shitty division" drum like everyone else but facts are facts: he keeps winning and in the end that is ALL that matters

Colasante

@VicTafur
Mark Davis and Reggie McKenzie aren’t talking. So that 2-week window before the bye for Dennis Allen to turn things around seems about right

Reggie McKenzie deserves to be fired before Dennis Allen does. Allen coached up a terrible team last season, at least for the first couple weeks. He can only cook with the ingredients Reggie provides for him, and for some reason, Reggie provided him with a gaggle of washed up veterans and $8 million worth of Matt Schaub this offseason.

Konka

Banned
Yeah, I think he's doing a good job. I can sort of see with how the offense works that it might be tough to get it to work smoothly without a full buy in from the team. If one person doesn't hustle back to the line they can't get plays communicated and snaps off effectively. If they don't take the time to learn what seems like a very complicated signalling regime they won't be as effective as they could be. Maybe Jackson whined about putting up blocks for the the running game. Who knows. I don't know if any of that justifies cutting a player who opened up the field vertically in such an incredible manner.

While that is true. I think that teams having to account for not only McCoy and Sproles but also now Ertz is probably more effective than just Jackson. I'm hoping Foles puts together a complete game this week and we get to the offense at near full potential.

While that is true. I think that teams having to account for not only McCoy and Sproles but also now Ertz is probably more effective than just Jackson. I'm hoping Foles puts together a complete game this week and we get to the offense at near full potential.

I think they are just starting to realize that Ertz is going to destroy them so he will have a bigger impact in the future. Right now it seems like there is a LB or Safety free to just stuff the run because they don't fear the big down the field plays. Ertz will definitely change that.

My deepest condolences for your loss, Wienke.

As requested...

Went to Noodles for lunch between classes. Yum yum!

And little Gata got to meet his idol, the one destined to lead the Jags out of last place in their division and into third place once the Lions cut him for wasting Megatron's prime.

Forgive me, I am a terrible artist. My girlfriend is a professional illustrator, so when she gets home tonight I can ask her to redo it if you'd like.

Tom Penny

Eh it is well documented that West Coast teams struggle going to the East Coast, and even more so when it is a 10 am game.

I don't consider the Tennessee Titans and Houston Oilers West Coast teams and they lost 30 in a row.

I always love the weak comp argument because they win against everyone in the entire league outside of the division too. How is that possible? I'm willing to bet they are top 5 in win percentage even if you exclude the AFC East entirely...On top of that 90% of the time they are playing 3 AFC division winners and an NFC division winner every single year.

And the same shit is spewed at the beginning of every seasonthe last few years and he just keeps winning games.

I've beat the "beating teams in a shitty division" drum like everyone else but facts are facts: he keeps winning and in the end that is ALL that matters

I had no idea that winning regular season games was all that matter. I look forward to seeing Mcnabb voted into the HoF this year now.

gutshot

I think Chip is less concerned with opening up the field vertically and more focused on spreading out the defense horizontally. Then they can attack the deep seams with Ertz or the underneath seams with Sproles. This seems to be the gameplan at this point in the season, as evidenced by Ertz and Sproles' numbers.

I suspect at some point defenses will adjust to try and plug those holes and then you will see Chip attack the perimeter with more targets to the wideouts.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet

I think this plays into that laziness you were talking about earlier. If someone wanted to chart sacks, and who's fault it was, I don't think it'd be that difficult.

1. Lineman blew protection/beaten off ball - Not qb's fault
2. Failed to recognize blitz/adjust protection/routes - Qb's fault
3. Held onto the ball - Qb's fault
4. Indeterminate - 0.5 faults

Then you'd have to take the game situation into account, of course.

In the end, a lot of stats are worthless, especially if you can torture them to admit to whatever you want.

It looks like Mychal Kendricks will be out on Sunday. Is anyone else hyped to see Casey Matthews play?

Actually, perhaps the only good news to come out of this is that they are reportedly training Marcus Smith at ILB and maybe he will get some reps at the position instead of Casey Matthews. You basically have to be in a wheelchair to be worse than Casey Matthews so this seems like a positive.

Colasante

I had no idea that winning regular season games was all that matter. I look forward to seeing Mcnabb voted into the HoF this year now.

So if Tom Brady is terrible, which QBs do you consider "good" according to your standards? Obviously not Peyton Manning, because all he does is win regular season games and apparently that's not something of value. So Joe Flacco? Eli Manning? Russell Wilson? Is that it?

Crisco

Banned

Yup, they are making a lot of assumptions, mostly based on the success of certain teams who play that way. It's definitely a good way to get the most out of a bad QB but there are different ways to play that are equally successful. Look at the Chargers offense under McCoy, mostly short completions, but look what they did to Seattle. I'll be curious if the Eagles are equally effective against an elite defense.

It looks like Mychal Kendricks will be out on Sunday. Is anyone else hyped to see Casey Matthews play?

Actually, perhaps the only good news to come out of this is that they are reportedly training Marcus Smith at ILB and maybe he will get some reps at the position instead of Casey Matthews. You basically have to be in a wheelchair to be worse than Casey Matthews so this seems like a positive.

Casey Matthews si fast becoming my most hated Eagles player of all time. He sucks as a LOB and he sucks on ST. I feel like he is always missing tackles. He is still on this team because of Oregon, now way they couldnt find a better street FA to replace him with. If the Skins ar3e smart they will go at him every play.

Hunter S.

Everyone continues to talk shit about Brady yet he will go out and lead the Pats to 10/11 wins again.
People talk shit about every popular and good player. Watt gets mostly good attention though he seems like a rare exception to the rule.

Oh, and, hey, sorry about your dad Wienke.

Zeke

@VicTafur

Clearly the only choice to fix this is relocating to SA and take that sweetheart stadium deal the city would give him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom