• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 4 |OT| Hell is Empty and All The Devils Are Here

Fox318

S8ow3Hn.png

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Kap's definitely scanning the field a lot more this year. I'll give you that. The Gore play was pretty much exemplary of that (on replays you could see his eyes darting from receiver to receiver while he was running). With the exception of last week against the Cards(according to All-22 analysis, his receivers weren't getting open though), he's been making a concerted effort staying behind the LOS on busted plays. He's also trying to throw receivers open (as evidenced by the Stevie Johnson TD and his int). However, the guy is still the epitome of hot/cold. He has above average completion rates on intermediate passing plays but it's mind boggling that he has accuracy issues with short routes (which has been his MO since day one). He missed a ton of easy passes yesterday (biggest one being the perfect pick play in the redzone that would've been a TD to Crabtree). Also, I hate how he stares down his primary target from the get go. Good QB's will look off safeties, keep their eyes staring down the center for as long as possible (this is something Walsh heavily stressed- looking down the middle while dropping back) and what not but Kap just stares at who he's going to throw right from the start. I'm not calling for his head or anything as the O-line and G-Ro's playcalling are ultimately what's holding the niners offense back. But if he could actually hit his receivers in stride on short routes, it'd go a long way.

I disagree that he constantly locks on to his primary read. Like you said, the Gore play is a perfect example of the opposite. I think he maybe missed like one or two short routes in total. Back shoulder throws are the best throw in many of the situations because it allows your receiver to:

1. Protect the ball with their bodies to make the catch without a defenders hands there.
2. Avoid big hits from LBs and safeties who are sizing up the receivers routes based on the speed and direction they are heading. Yesterday I think Aikman said he should have led Lloyd on that intermediate crossing route that Lloyd ended up catching. I totally disagree because the safety was about 5yds back and had him in his crosshairs if that ball led him. Leading him would have put him at risk and decreased the chance of a successful catch.
3. It allows the receiver to cut back and head up field almost immediately because their body is putting on the brakes and starting to turn to face the field as the catch is made. This especially applies to balls thrown toward the sidelines into the flat.

Many times a leading throw means they can't see what is coming and they can't stop their momentum to make a move or avoid a hit or get up the field. Now, a back shoulder throw isn't the correct one in all situations but it is definitely something that is very effective in the modern game. You see them all the time from Brady, Manning and Rodgers.

That said, even if you think he should have led them a few times more than he did, about 5 or 6 of those should have been caught and were just flat out dropped. No, they weren't thrown too hard either.

Jelani Jenkins, LB: +3.3

Breakdown: Jenkins didn’t stuff the stat sheet on Sunday like he has in past weeks, but he quietly managed his highest-graded game of his career. The second-year outside linebacker was assignment sure and played mistake-free football with no missed tackles. Jenkins was quick to react when the Raiders ran power and stacked the lead blocker in the hole on multiple occasions. It’s safe to say that he’s no fluke at this point with four straight games graded in the green.

Signature Stat: Jenkins’ +8.0 overall grade is the highest among all 4-3 outside linebackers this season.

The Starting Secondary: +6.8 combined

Breakdown: You can’t ask for much more from your starting secondary. Brent Grimes, Cortland Finnegan, Louis Delmas, and Jimmy Wilson would all grade positively against both the run and pass on Sunday. Maybe the best news is that the four combined for just one missed tackle on the day (Finnegan) after missing an absurd 10 against the Chiefs.

Signature Stat: Raiders quarterbacks had a passer rating of 55.3 when targeting these four.

Ryan Tannehill, QB: +4.8

Breakdown: It was a surgical performance for the Dolphins’ pass master. Chastised this week for his lack of accuracy against Kansas City, Tannhill went and had the most accurate game of his career. The Dolphins quarterback was on the mark for 26 of his 30 targeted passes including a ridiculous 9-of-11 on throws 10+ yards downfield.

Signature Play: With 1:56 left in the first quarter, Tannehill saw Brian Hartline get a step on a seam route with Chimdi Chekwa trailing in man coverage and the quarterback fired a strike 23 yards in stride for a first down.
Talk about a complete team performance. Damn.

Fox318

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN 17m
John Idzik drafted 3 WRs this year. One is cut. One struggled badly in limited time before landing on IR. One is on the practice squad. #nyj

JETS FUCKING NEEDED 2 THINGS

CBS AND WRS AND HE DIDN'T GET SHIT.

Tom Penny

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN 17m
John Idzik drafted 3 WRs this year. One is cut. One struggled badly in limited time before landing on IR. One is on the practice squad. #nyj

JETS FUCKING NEEDED 2 THINGS

CBS AND WRS AND HE DIDN'T GET SHIT.

They only had 20 million in cap space. Not enough to get any viable players.

Some overall stand out players on the Giants defense. I won't post the whole article but some overall PFF mentions since we're still talking statistics:

http://www.bigblueview.com/2014/9/2...se-edition-jason-pierre-paul-prince-amukamara

Prince Amukamara - Amukamara is the league's fourth-ranked corner per Pro Football Focus grades with a +5.4 score. His passer rating against of 36.0 is also fourth among corners, and he has allowed only 18 yards after catch on seven completions.

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie - A +4.1 PFF grade (eighth overall), a passer rating against of 66.7, 13 completions allowed in 27 targets (48.1 percent).

Robert Ayers - Ayers has been outstanding, with three sacks (PFF's total), a 9.9 grade second among NFL defensive ends, a combined 10 quarterbacks hits and hurries and eight stops.

Jason Pierre-Paul - His strength, length, quickness and effort make him an incredible run defender (+9.0, best in the league by a wide margin). No other 4-3 defensive end comes close to Pierre-Paul's 22 combined tackles.

cdyhybrid

This is just another example of why you should never cross the football gods. Panthers-Age got all high and mighty after their 2-0 start and got too cocky. The football gods' wrath has been swift and potent. They even turned one Panthers fan into Gata, the most brutal punishment of all.

This is just another example of why you should never cross the football gods. Panthers-Age got all high and mighty after their 2-0 start and got too cocky. The football gods' wrath has been swift and potent. They even turned one Panthers fan into Gata, the most brutal punishment of all.
It could be worse, they could be turned into jak

Which is why while being positive about my team I won't be boasting about the Lions 3-1 start. Well that and how last season ended.

I warned Bowser. I warned him

mjheadband_zps3a5e4328.png

After the 1 pm games yesterday I watched Captain America and the winter soldier I really like. Might be one of my favorite super hero movies. What we're thoughts on it?

Also saw alittle bit of Godzilla seemed alittle boring with was a dissapointment for me.

Watching x men days of future past now. Catching up on some movies

After the 1 pm games yesterday I watched Captain America and the winter soldier I really like. Might be one of my favorite super hero movies. What we're thoughts on it?

Also saw alittle bit of Godzilla seemed alittle boring with was a dissapointment for me.

Most people including myself believe it's one of the better if not best Marvel movies. Pretty universal opinion.

Bread

Banned

Captain America is a great man, he grew up in a cool place where only cool people come from.

Bowser

Bills benching Manuel for Kyle Orton per multiple reports:

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 8s
The #Bills announce that Kyle Orton will start at QB. 2013 first-rounder EJ Manuel has been benched.

Following the lead of their owner.

Colts just cut him.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

do you not have a job?

@ProFootballTalk
Report: Colts' Da'Rick Rogers arrested for drunk driving

smh
has to be one of if not the most stupid thing you can do as a NFL player. They get no questions asked taxi service provided by the team/league.

Bills benching Manuel for Kyle Orton per multiple reports:

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 8s
The #Bills announce that Kyle Orton will start at QB. 2013 first-rounder EJ Manuel has been benched.

Colts just cut him.
Wow wasnt expecting this.

Bills might need to use there first round pick on a Qb this year.......

Top Bottom