• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 4 |OT| Hell is Empty and All The Devils Are Here

Colasante

Depends on what the QB shows you. It isn't black and white. If finding a QB was a science, every team would hit on it without issue. Sometimes patience is rewarded. Some teams are more patient than others.

I don't think I'll ever fully understand what the mindset was behind trading a future first round pick to get Sammy Watkins. Did Doug Whaley really think they were one player away with EJ Manuel as their quarterback? That move eliminated any opportunity they may have had to exercise patience.

Fox318

Kyle Orton isn't winning a Super Bowl and isn't the quarterback of their future though.

I think the smart move would be to play EJ Manuel the rest of the season and then reevaluate in the giant chasm that is the off-season when these questions are asked and answered. That would give you 26 games or so of work to make an informed decision about whether to cut and/or trade your first round pick.

Unless the gameplan is to try and win 8 games this season or make a playoff spot to save their jobs.

I'm not a football expert and I'm sure someone like LJ would know better than I do.
This is about a GM trying to save face after trading away a 1st round pick.

Browns could have a top 3 pick in the draft and make the playoffs.

Bowser

EJ Manuel got benched for putting up Nick Foles numbers:

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 8m
Manuel hasn't been very good, but this season he's almost identical to Foles:
EJ - 58%, 5-3 TD/INT ratio, 80.3 rating
Foles 57.8, 6-4, 81.7

Also DM, Lovie won't commit to the Giraffe as starter:

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 5m
Lovie Smith won't commit to Mike Glennon for this week http://wp.me/p14QSB-9Ao3

Tamanon

Banned
It's kinda insane that they're benching Manuel this early in the season.

I mean, are the Bills thinking they're playoff material and he's holding them back?

Pat Kirwan ‏ @ PatKirwanCBS 9s
It looks like the start of 'panic' Monday-EJ Manuel benched after 6-8 career start more TD than int. He needs more time.Is Geno Smith next?

ProFootballTalk @ProFootballTalk · 27m
Decision to bench EJ Manuel shows that Doug Marrone knows new owner is going to hire his own people unless team is great this year.

Colasante

It's not really fair to compare Geno Smith to EJ Manuel. Manuel had a better offensive line, better receivers, better running backs, and a better defense and hasn't put together more than a handful of games in which he looks like a person who knows how to play professional quarterback.

Tom Penny

So is it smarter to give up on a number 1 pick QB in less than a season or sit your number 1 pick QB so he can do rails at random clubs?

Doomsayer

I said it yesterday night and I'll say it again: EJ Manuel is awful.

He can't read defenses, has poor reaction time, and throws at the feet or 15 feet over the receivers head. He isn't the guy. His footwork is pretty sloppy, too. Kyle Orton will play decently for them - at least they will see what they have in Watkins, Woods, and Mike Williams.

Every time I watch the Bills play I am blown away with how slow Manuel is and going through progressions, setting his feet, and reacting to blitzes. It really is mind blowing. I've seen almost no progression from him since last year.

cdyhybrid

PFTCommenter ‏@PFTCommenter 37m
Kyle Ortons going2 be so happy when he wakes up

:jnc

I think EJ will be better off in another situation. Maybe where he can develop in a better environment for him, without all the pressure of being a first-round pick and the starter.

Coaching for your job usually means you gonna lose it, and with the benching of EJ for Orton if they fail to make the playoffs everyone in the front office and coaching staff is gonna get fired by the new owner.

I almost feel like QB's are just held to a ridiculous standard

A vast majority of the teams that complain about their QB's have mediocre defenses and running games

Tamanon

Banned

A vast majority of the teams that complain about their QB's have mediocre defenses and running games

I think it's a lot tougher to manage QBs than any other position. Nobody bats an eye if a young receiver or defender sits a game or two after a bad game. Sit a QB and it's basically giving up on them.

DMczaf

He also referred to Glennon as the team’s quarterback of the future when discussing Glennon’s performance.

“When you’re labeled ‘quarterback of the future,’ that’s what you’re supposed to do when you come out,” Smith said, via JoeBucFan.com.

....im gonna cut you lovie.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

they definitely are. QB gets team down the field for game winning field goal, Kicker misses said kick. "QB CANT WIN THE BIG GAME/SUCKS IN THE CLUTCH"

So it seems like Donkey Kong Suh won't be resigning with the lions, where do you guys think he ends up?
he seems like a perfect fit for the raiders.

brentech

So it seems like Donkey Kong Suh won't be resigning with the lions, where do you guys think he ends up?
Continuing a role of mediocrity under Capers would be fitting, but hopefully that's not with the Packers. /fingers crossed
(Ie, the packers would never sign him, but Capers seems like a perfect fit!)

RBH

....im gonna cut you lovie.

10494542-large.jpg

"Do you miss me yet?"

Coaching for your job usually means you gonna lose it, and with the benching of EJ for Orton if they fail to make the playoffs everyone in the front office and coaching staff is gonna get fired by the new owner.

...They were already going to.

They're still going to be fired, the Bills will still be a bad team, EJ will still be a bad QB. This didn't even prolong anything. The only thing that's actually changed here is a different QB is going to be blamed for the losses for the rest of the season.

jakncoke

Banned
PFTCommenter ‏@PFTCommenter 37m
Kyle Ortons going2 be so happy when he wakes up

If i was Orton Id be pissed, he was basically retired. So clearly his heart is done for the game. They were paying him 5 million to be a back up. Im sure he'd rather make 5 million drinking jd and visiting Toronto strip clubs then having to give a fuck about the Bills and their next sub .500 season

Bowser

If i was Orton Id be pissed, he was basically retired. So clearly his heart is done for the game. They were paying him 5 million to be a back up. Im sure he'd rather make 5 million drinking jd and visiting Toronto strip clubs then having to give a fuck about the Bills and their next sub .500 season

Nah, he was making $4m to be retired and specifically signed on with the Bills because he knew it was the path to least resistance to a starting job with a team that is actually somewhat attractive given the weapons he'd have around him.

Think he ends up with the Raiders or the Jets.

Cards update:

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet · 25m

Cardinals RB Jonathan Dwyer indicted on charges of felony aggravated assault and 8 misdemeanors, including assault, criminal damage, etc.

Also:

Jason La Canfora @JasonLaCanfora · 29m

Colts waive WR Da'Rick Rogers after his DUI arrest, his latest off field issue

Buffalo Bills @buffalobills · 46m
Doug Marrone: "We have a playoff caliber team. This gives us the best opportunity to win."

Chris Brown @ChrisBrownBills · 55m
Marrone cites production as main reason for change. "Can't keep going in direction that we're going." # Bills

$5.5 mil. And he gets another $5.5 mil next year if they agree to stick together.

The dude did nothing all year and is now $5.5 mil minimum richer, a starting QB again, and doesn't have to worry about Texas fans wanting him dead because he didn't want to break his back for them too. So far this year in the league, Orton has come out a bigger winner than everybody.

xnipx

$5.5 mil. And he gets another $5.5 mil next year if they agree to stick together.

The dude did nothing all year and is now $5.5 mil minimum richer, a starting QB again, and doesn't have to worry about Texas fans wanting him dead because he didn't want to break his back for them too. So far this year in the league, Orton has come out a bigger winner than everybody.

That grantland article with Charlie whitehurst proved that the best way to win at life is being just good enough to be a career back up and suckering teams into thinking you're worth the investment.

Top Bottom