• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 5 |OT| The Week of Embarrassment and the Fall of an Empire

you have a right to your opinion. Im talking in terms of legacy and how people will perceive it. Thats all we can go on, we can watch and make our cases but at the end of the day the majority will pick brady they already do and its really not close. again if peyton wins one more itll be different, but the media and experts in most cases pick tom. seriously I've already tried to make this clear Im not arguing that right now that's not my intention Im just pointing out, on message board, in nfl gaf, haters will say 0-2 asterisk, but all the football mind still pick tom and canton will pick tom just like peyton, people will debate, but if alls the same in the end tom will be favored.

Who cares who they pick or perceive if they use a stupid method to do it with? Anyone that debates who the best QB is without that bullshit will pick Manning over anyone, you can debate who the better overall team was between colts/pats and yeah I'd give the edge to the pat easily but the media and 'experts' can believe whatever bullshit they want, anyone that knows how to actually evaluate and compare players leaves the 'wins/loses' in the trash where it belongs. I hear so many football experts claim how it's unfair to burden the QB with wins/loses and then they turn around and do it anyways, it's ridiculous.

Edit: To further my point, ask anyone in the media if Marino is a top 5 QB and they'll agree he's at least in consideration, then ask how they compare tom and manning and they'll bring up the SBs...well you can't have it both ways, Marino can't be top 5 if you're using SB wins to compare QBs, they are so full of it they don't even realize the bullshit they spew.

MRSA

Banned
011014-NFL-Oakland-Raiders-Tony-Sparano-TV-Pi_20140110210645175_660_320.JPG

FG TIME!!!!!!

Seabass and Sparano are a match made in heaven.

Bread

Banned
http://pro32.ap.org/poll

New AP power rankings up
Pats still ahead of chiefs lmao

AP said:
Despite the poor showing from Brady and the New England offense, there were plenty of promising signs that kept us from giving up on the Patriots. Rookie backup Jimmy Garappolo stepped up big time, showing football fans across the nation once again that the comeback is more important than the win. Another good sign was Jimmy Garappolo, who looked sexy in his #10 Patriots uniform. Lastly, sex God Jimmy Garappolo threw the ball to Gronk, causing men all over New England to explode.

Well their reasoning makes sense, at least.

Who cares who they pick or perceive if they use a stupid method to do it with? Anyone that debates who the best QB is without that bullshit will pick Manning over anyone, you can debate who the better overall team was between colts/pats and yeah I'd give the edge to the pat easily but the media and 'experts' can believe whatever bullshit they want, anyone that knows how to actually evaluate and compare players leaves the 'wins/loses' in the trash where it belongs. I hear so many football experts claim how it's unfair to burden the QB with wins/loses and then they turn around and do it anyways, it's ridiculous.

Edit: To further my point, ask anyone in the media if Marino is a top 5 QB and they'll agree he's at least in consideration, then ask how they compare tom and manning and they'll bring up the SBs...well you can't have it both ways, Marino can't be top 5 if you're using SB wins to compare QBs, they are so full of it they don't even realize the bullshit they spew.
So what you're saying is the QB with the best stats is the best QB.

Godslay

Banned
because it fits his point? this argument is so ridiculously irrelevant, I'll say it again, but unless peyton wins another, people will always put tom ahead. the media already does, and legacies aren't made in their closing years, although it makes for a good story. Godslay, plenty remember elways failures, his story was great, because he finally got over that hump. if you look at the last 8 years of peyton his path is shockingly similar. 2 bowl losses, td records, unbelievable runs, but ultimately coming up short. Oh and both lost a year to injury.

Why do you have such a hard on for Tom being above Peyton? If you take away Tom's Superbowl wins (which is a team achievement fwiw), Peyton blows Brady's stats out of the water. He's had a better individual career, and you can't argue that. If you throw the rings in, then maybe Tom looks a bit better there, but that's the only place he is even close. Now I will say that Tom certainly played a part in the Superbowl wins, but he played a part in the losses as well. As did Peyton, so neither are free from criticism there.

For example, through 17 seasons for Peyton Manning / 15 for Tom Brady:
PM: Yards -> 65,778
TB: Yards -> 49,940

PM: TDs -> 499
TB: TDs -> 363

PM: Comp % -> 65.5%
TB: Comp % -> 63.3%

PM: Ints -> 163
TB: Ints ->136

PM: Y/A -> 7.7
TB: Y/A -> 7.4

PM: Y/G -> 270.7
TB: Y/G -> 253.5

PM: Rate -> 97.4
TB: Rate -> 95.4

Most TDs in a season:
PM: 55
TB: 50

Most Yards in a season:
PM: 5477
TB: 5235

Probowls:
PM: 13
TB: 9

MVPs:
PM: 5
TB: 2

Not to mention that Manning's overall averages have climbed since he came to Denver, while Brady has regressed.

Even with that said you can't deny the aura that surrounds Spygate. It was the heaviest penalty ever levied against an NFL team, and the MAXIMUM penalty the league could muster given the rules iirc. You don't fire off a penalty like that for just fucking around with cameras mistakenly. It was an egregious infraction, and the NFL laid down the biggest hammer they could. Just going to have to deal with it.

As far as Elway, I'm sure plenty remember the losses. The memory of the wins is 1. More recent. 2. A cool memory that overshadows the losses. He went out on top, and finally won it all. Most people will remember that over the losses. That's not even my bias, it's just the way it is.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
If yall still haven't realized that sports, just like any other job, is all about "what have you done for me lately", I don't think you'll ever realize

You only get so long a grace period before you actually have to answer that question, and if the answer isn't great, welp

Sorry that's false. legacy is about your career as a while plenty of GOAT candidates ended with a sputter

johnny u
mohammad ali
emmit sith
willie mays
terry b
troy aikman
shaq
michael jordan (god tier sputter)
jack nicklaus

the list easily could go on. Its exceptionally rare to ride of into the sunset. public perception creates legacy. true aikman was meh, but hes considered a top qb.

rando14

Sorry that's false. legacy is about your career as a while plenty of GOAT candidates ended with a sputter

johnny u
mohammad ali
emmit sith
willie mays
terry b
troy aikman
shaq
jack nicklaus

the list easily could go on. Its exceptionally rare to ride of into the sunset. public perception creates legacy. true aikman was meh, but hes considered a top qb.

Yo damn Emmitt Sith sounds badass

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Why do you have such a hard on for Tom being above Peyton? If you take away Tom's Superbowl wins (which is a team achievement fwiw), Peyton blows Brady's stats out of the water. He's had a better individual career, and you can't argue that. If you throw the rings in, then maybe Tom looks a bit better there, but that's the only place he is even close. Now I will say that Tom certainly played a part in the Superbowl wins, but he played a part in the losses as well. As did Peyton, so neither are free from criticism there.

For example, through 17 seasons for Peyton Manning / 15 for Tom Brady:
PM: Yards -> 65,778
TB: Yards -> 49,940

PM: TDs -> 499
TB: TDs -> 363

PM: Comp % -> 65.5%
TB: Comp % -> 63.3%

PM: Ints -> 163
TB: Ints ->136

PM: Y/A -> 7.7
TB: Y/A -> 7.4

PM: Y/G -> 270.7
TB: Y/G -> 253.5

PM: Rate -> 97.4
TB: Rate -> 95.4

Most TDs in a season:
PM: 55
TB: 50

Most Yards in a season:
PM: 5477
TB: 4806

Probowls:
PM: 13
TB: 9

MVPs:
PM: 5
TB: 2

Even with that said you can't deny the aura that surrounds Spygate. It was the heaviest penalty ever levied against an NFL team, and the MAXIMUM penalty the league could muster given the rules iirc. You don't fire off a penalty like that for just fucking around with cameras mistakenly. It was an egregious infraction, and the NFL laid down the biggest hammer they could. Just going to have to deal with it.

As far as Elway, I'm sure plenty remember the losses. The memory of the wins is 1. More recent. 2. A cool memory that overshadows the losses. He went out on top, and finally won it all. Most people will remember that over the losses. That's not even my bias, it's just the way it is.

i told you this isnt my intent. btw Montana has very average stats. he's the absolute goat. i dont know why you care about my opinion so much, but no what you said is NOT fact, it's just not the way it is. i think its stupid troy aikman gets put over marino, but there's more to it than that im not getting into it.

btw tje heaviest penaltt ever levied on a team? john elways sb winners for cap manipulation and stealing draft picks. al davis lobbied hard for real asterisks. doesn't affect his legacy the same way Bill is still considered agoat coach.

Fantomex

Tom Brady is not better than Peyton. In Boston im sure that's the case, but when I hear Aikman and Marino call Peyton the best ever, that's all I need to hear.

Who puts Aikman over Marino? you need to get off bleacher report dog. That's a site where anyone can write an article, even gata.

johnny u
mohammad ali
emmit sith
willie mays
terry b
troy aikman
shaq
jack nicklaus

uh huh yeah sure ok

Fast forward to three years from now, Tom Coughlin and Bill Belichick will be out of their jobs, and it totally won't be because of "what have you done for me lately" (Tom Savage will be on his 2nd MVP season, and Matt Schaub will have just won a Super Bowl in this world, and people will still put Terry Bradshaw on the list of GOATs, it's going to be so amazing just wait and see)

Godslay

Banned
i told you this isnt my intent. btw Montana has very average stats. he's the absolute goat. i dont know why you care about my opinion so much, but no what you said is NOT fact, it's just not the way it is. i think its stupid troy aikman gets put over marino, but there's more to it than that im not getting into it.

btw tje heaviest penaltt ever levied on a team? john elways sb winners for cap manipulation and stealing draft picks. al davis lobbied hard for real asterisks. doesn't affect his legacy the same way Bill is still considered agoat coach.

You were giving people a hard time about being a 'casual' in this thread last night, and to turn around and not know the facts behind these two cases makes me question who the casual is.

Montana is the greatest post-season QB in terms of Superbowl wins. No doubt. There is more to the picture than that, in terms of selecting a the best QB of all time. Does the post season play a part? Sure it does. It's not the end all be all though.

Meant to say individual, but the point is the same:

After an investigation, the NFL fined Patriots head coach Bill Belichick $500,000 (the maximum allowed by the league and the largest fine ever imposed on a coach in the league's 87-year history) for his role in the incident, fined the Patriots $250,000, and docked the team their original first-round selection in the 2008 NFL Draft which would have been the 31st pick of the draft.[3] The fine garnered significant media attention for being the "maximum amount" an individual could be fined.

As far as the Broncos fine, here's the full story:

John Elway and Terrell Davis accepted deferred payments in those seasons (1996-1998), “deferred” of course meaning “delayed or put off.” The money they were owed wasn’t to be paid until later, with interest. In fact, the now-infamous Washington Post article (linked above) made it clear that this WAS NOT intended to circumvent the salary cap in order to get better players or avoid cutting anyone, but in order to help the Broncos organization during a money-tight period while the new stadium was being built.

“These agreements were plainly designed to help the club cope with seasonal cash flow problems exacerbated by the Broncos’ need to fund front-end expenditures associated with development of the new stadium in Denver.”

The Broncos had to put up around $100 million toward the new stadium, and that was a struggle for the franchise. They basically went into The Bank of Elway and Davis and took out a loan. They weren’t trying to squeeze cap room for their championship run. By all accounts, that money still counted against the cap. They weren’t trying to cheat the sport itself.

Is this so dissimilar to contract restructures we hear about all the time? Every year you’ll hear about players “converting roster bonus into signing bonus.” These moneys that were owed the players in that year then spread out over the life of the contract. Kinda like a deferred payment, don’t you think?

A bit different infraction than straight up trying to circumvent credibility of the game.

MechDX

King Ranch Chicken.

Steamed chicken breast diced. Place some Doritos in the bottom of dish, place layer of chicken, smooth over the top of that with a mix of creamed soups, cheese wiz, onions and peas. Repeat layers and top with some cheddar and mozzarella.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
The Manning/Brady discussion is pointless, since neither will usurp Montana from the throne.

Top Bottom