• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 5 |OT| The Week of Embarrassment and the Fall of an Empire

Bowser

Not updated. I'm currently listening to their Sunday picks episode.

Most definitely is updated as I listened to it during my morning cardio today:

A room full of heroes -- Dan Hanzus, Gregg Rosenthal, Chris Wesseling and Marc Sessler -- recap every Week 5 Sunday game including the Browns' comeback against the Titans, the Broncos' big day and the Patriots return to form.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/around-the-nfl/id680904259?mt=2

Crisco

Banned
Damn, I'd be a Seahawks victory away from a perfect week of picks if the Lions didn't shit the bed. Fuck you Stafford.

bionic77

Nice to see the "greatest quarterback of all time" is so reliant on everyone else around him being good.

Roethlisberger > Brady
You are 100% correct with your statement. Ben and a few others can score TDs and get 1st downs by making up shit on the fly. Very few players can do that.

Brady has a different talent. Brady has the incredibly rare ability* to sometimes hit wide open receivers while having a dominant run game and a gigantic pocket to throw from wit4 4+ seconds to throw the ball. There are not many qb's* in the world who can do that.

* The list of qb's who can throw to wide open receivers, with an excess of time, a dominant running game, and a huge pocket to step up into is less than 100,000 at this present time. Elite company d00ds!

ShaneB

1-4 ins SiF :( 3-2 in No Gatas Allowed and 4-1 in some other one I joined, I have a shit team in SiF I might need to make some trades.

Yeah, my team in SiF is in shambles pretty much too. I'm just going week to week hoping I hit on waiver pickups at this point.

bionic77

I need a monday podcast.

I plowed through part 3 of hardcore history's retelling of world war 1 then went to listen to a NFL podcast. .. none of them are updated.
Nothing compare to Hardcore History.

In the meantime I would suggest the Champs. Hilarious podcast. Very different too. But you have to like black people and black culture, otherwise it isn't going to be for you.

Kelvin Benjamin's looked progressively worse with each passing game this year.

I'm not even sure I can blame it on teams shading their coverage to him because they realized he's the only dude on the team who can actually hurt them deep, because he's still getting open. He's just dropping passes all over the yard now. Someone get him some Stickum. Or Justin Timberlake's gum

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
lolphin culture

Miami Dolphins defensive end Derrick Shelby was arrested early Saturday at a Florida nightclub for allegedly causing a disturbance. That's one way to spend a bye week. He resisted nonviolently, according to the police report, and his mugshot shows the police handled it their way.

Zeke

Damn next week will be a huge test for Dallas. Seahawks on the road they better practice more silent counts they are going to need it. Murray is going to have to bring his A game. It's going to be battle of the running backs.

Geno Smith's no-win situation:

“The best laid plans of mice and men oft go awry,” or some variant thereof, is a charter member of the cliché Hall-of-Fame. Everyone knows that not even the best process can guarantee a good result.

But what about the worst laid plans? Say, turning over your franchise to a career 53.9 percent college passer? Or putting your second-year starter one lingering hamstring injury away from a receiver corps “led” by Jeremy Kerley and David Nelson?

Aside from the occasional building around Rich Gannon or Brad Johnson, the worst laid plans always go awry. That became painfully evident for the Titans and Jets on Sunday. Tennessee stood by helplessly as Jake Locker improved his 2014 completion percentage to 58.0 before departing with yet another injury. The Jets watched in horror as Geno Smith tried to complete passes to Kerley, Nelson and Greg Salas before getting yanked at halftime of what would ultimately be a 31-0 loss.

Locker remained who he’s always been. An inaccurate, indecisive, scatter-brained injury waiting to happen. Smith kept progressing toward what he doesn’t have to be. A shell-shocked sophomore regressing from an already poor form because he doesn’t have teammates capable of helping him out of the gutter.

Locker’s fate should be written. Regardless of what happens going forward in 2014, this is a walk-year quarterback who won’t be returning to a team that last seemed sold on him some time in 2012. For Smith, the answer isn’t quite as clear. There’s likely still forgiveness to be found from a franchise that desperately wants him to succeed, but how’s he supposed to earn it if Eric Decker is never anywhere close to 100 percent? The only thing waiting for Smith in Week 6 against the Broncos is going to be the wolves. Even if Smith somehow survives Denver with his job intact, Darrelle Revis and the Pats will be waiting to deliver the final blow in Week 7.

Talented players usually perform well in the NFL, and vice versa. That means if Smith entered the league without what it took to become a successful starting quarterback, there’s likely little the Jets could have done to change that. But that doesn’t mean there was nothing they could do. That’s just how it ending up. Once in a blue moon, teams get bailed out of bad plans by lucky results. Locker and Smith are not the blue moons. They’re the harsh reality that poor planning rarely goes unpunished.
Has there ever been a more average/below-average young QB who was given LESS to work with than Geno Smith? Usually those guys are put in front of a loaded receiving core/great RB and asked to learn slowly.

MechDX

Matt Hammond ‏@MattHammondShow · 2m2 minutes ago
answer, according to Elias: #Texans avg 3rd down distance is 6.97. 15th-lowest in NFL. basically avg. yet, rank 20th in conversion rate.

#FreeMallett

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Thoughts on my niners this weekend:

A solid but non-spectacular effort. Very happy to see the line run blocking (for two straight games now) better than they have in probably about a year. Downside is they still need to get their act together in pass protection - it is totally unacceptable that every team they've played this season consistently gets pressure right up the middle on almost every pass play. You can not get pushed straight back into the pocket and expect any sort of consistent success in the pass game.

The defense was good but not great like last week. Still no pass rush at all and until they solve that, their opponents will continue to convert 3rd downs at a very high rate.

CK7 was solid. Made some very good plays and was smart with his choices down the stretch.

Offensive play calling was garbage as usual. Why can't Roman design plays to, you know, actually get receivers open? Like ever? Why can't they get plays in faster? When CK7 ran out of bounds in a critical 3rd down; the next snap should have taken place within 10 seconds in order to deny KC an opportunity to look at the replay multiple times. THIS IS JUST COMMON SENSE!

So, the way I understand it now is that Roman calls 2-3 plays after the previous play is over. He then TALKS IT OVER WITH HARBAUGH (just WTF?) and after they agree they relay those 2-3 plays to CK7 who then has to call out 2-3 plays to his offense. Best case they get to the line with about 12-15 seconds on the clock and then CK7 has to read the defense and determine which play to run. After they realign he then has to decide whether to kill the play call or go with it. I mean, is it possible to be any clumsier than this? If I'm the defense against the 49ers I just let them frantically call a bunch of shit and then show my true formation with 5 seconds to go on the clock and just screw them. In fact, I see that happen a lot so then CK7 has to decide whether to run the bad play, try to realign with a handful of second left and risk a delay of game or burn a time out. Not to mention that the play clock ticking to zero gives a huge advantage to defenders because they know the ball has to be snapped almost immediately and are hyper alert to fire out.

This shit is hell of stupid.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
Did the Jests really have any other choice, though? I liked Vick's play when he first came back, but his days are over.

Tom Penny

You are 100% correct with your statement. Ben and a few others can score TDs and get 1st downs by making up shit on the fly. Very few players can do that.

Brady has a different talent. Brady has the incredibly rare ability* to sometimes hit wide open receivers while having a dominant run game and a gigantic pocket to throw from wit4 4+ seconds to throw the ball. There are not many qb's* in the world who can do that.

* The list of qb's who can throw to wide open receivers, with an excess of time, a dominant running game, and a huge pocket to step up into is less than 100,000 at this present time. Elite company d00ds!

I have to say I'm very impressed by Ben's ability to average under 20 TD's and under 3000 yards his first 5 years. Clearly the Steelers had faith in his passing abilities.

LJ11

I want to see a breakdown of the Dallas Oline against Watt, should be awesome.

I don't think enough people watched that game if they thought Watt was shut down. He's not going to repeat last week every fucking week, Dallas had their hands full, literally.

Godslay

Banned
The Patriots smell.

I hate them now.

You made your bed, now lie in it!

I don't think enough people watched that game if they thought Watt was shut down. He's not going to repeat last week every fucking week, Dallas had their hands full, literally.

I was in and out of that game in terms of attention, but it seems like when I caught it they either took advantage of his aggression or guided him away from the play.

Trey

Orton replacing Manuel was a success but he's just as likely to lose games as he is to win them - he's no answer. Dude's ball placement was all over the place. If not for Sammy Watkins, the Bills lose this game.

Look at this catch:

HIGrX6J.gif

If Watkins doesn't pull some circus bullshit out of his ass, that pass is intercepted and the game is going to OT at best. The pass is high and behind him.

Orton was throwing shit like that all game. He had a dime or two, including the gorgeous pass to Goodwin, but it's nothing to bet on. However, the upgrade was that he was much quicker with his decision making than Manuel. He might not have been throwing a prettier ball, but at least it was decisive. He saw the field better and took more shots. For that reason alone do I believe he maintains the starting role for a while, if not the entire season.

I really like Shelby though, the guy always manages to produce even in his limited role. He could start for a lot of teams.

I know but that's the one position we are deep at so it wouldn't be a big loss, guess I misspoke though, lets see what happened first and if he's cleared then great he'll be back on the team soon enough.

Oh I know that's why I want to see it, Watt was really close to blowing up a few plays, he had romo within his grasp, I want to see how they played against him.

Godslay

Banned
Orton replacing Manuel was a success but he's just as likely to lose games as he is to win them - he's no answer. Dude's ball placement was all over the place. If not for Sammy Watkins, the Bills lose this game.

Look at this catch:

HIGrX6J.gif

If Watkins doesn't pull some circus bullshit out of his ass, that pass is intercepted and the game is going to OT at best. The pass is high and behind him.

Orton was throwing shit like that all game. He had a dime or two, including the gorgeous pass to Goodwin, but it's nothing to bet on. However, the upgrade was that he was much quicker with his decision making than Manuel. He might not have been throwing a prettier ball, but at least it was decisive. He saw the field better and took more shots. For that reason alone do I believe he maintain the starting role for a while, if not the entire season.

Orton might have some rust, he's usually fairly accurate.

Look at all that space between the DB and Watkins though. You could fit a Stafford in that gap.

Bowser

Look at this catch:

HIGrX6J.gif

Orton was throwing shit like that all game. He had a dime or two, including the gorgeous pass to Goodwin, but it's nothing to bet on. However, the upgrade was that he was much quicker with his decision making than Manuel. He might not have been throwing a prettier ball, but at least it was decisive. He saw the field better and took more shots. For that reason alone do I believe he maintains the starting role for a while, if not the entire season.

The dude hasn't played a full game since Week 17 last season. He's bound to have some rust.

He's a better option than Manuel. The Bills are pretty talented and Orton could certainly keep them in contention in the AFC East this season.

lol at Ubi openly admitting that went for console parity on AssCreed Unity because they are tired of the Resolution Wars on the Internet.

Joke Company

I thought Hoyer was good last year.

Not great (who knows with time though) but definitely good.

The Browns may finally have their qb!

If they humiliate the Steelers next week I want to see how they handle dat success. Lions fans couldn't handle 3-1. Carolina fans also couldn't handle success. Packer fans all turned into horrible cunts the year after they won the Superbowl and won like 14 games.

I have faith that the Browns fans will stay humble but I have no proof one way or the other.

We're good over here. Bowser popped the bubbly a bit too soon this year, but can you really blame him. We're only good every 5 years, we're going to enjoy that shit damnit!

MechDX

Thank you. Watt is getting blatantly held on about 80% of snaps. Im talking blatant holding not just run of the mill grabbing a handful of jersey. One snap yesterday the o lineman literally jumped on Watts back and rode him like a horse.

Also sickening since there is so much focus on Watt SOMEONE else should be getting free shots at the QB, but no. Mercilus is now officially a first round bust and Brooks Reed a high second round bust. Clowney will be back for MNF vs the Steelers.

Top Bottom