• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 5 |OT| The Week of Embarrassment and the Fall of an Empire

Bowser

We're good over here. Bowser popped the bubbly a bit too soon this year, but can you really blame him. We're only good every 5 years, we're going to enjoy that shit damnit!

Seriously, after all the doom and gloom talk of the offseason, that 2-0 start was fucking ambrosia. Of course, the two blowouts that followed reset my expectations again. I'm more cautious now.

Still think we win the division at 8-8!

I have to say I'm very impressed by Ben's ability to average under 20 TD's and under 3000 yards his first 5 years. Clearly the Steelers had faith in his passing abilities.
In the first 5 or so years of his career, we didn't need him to throw to win. We had a dominant D and an above average running game. I can't recall the exact stat but at one point if Ben threw more than 30x or for more than 300 yds it meant we lost. Deacon probably has the exact stat in the rolodex of his brain.

By the time we reached the Superb Owl vs the Cards, our D was in the habit of blowing leads, our running game was suspect due to the o-line being riddled with holes, and we needed him to put the team on his back to win it.

Trey

Orton might have some rust, he's usually fairly accurate.

Look at all that space between the DB and Watkins though. You could fit a Stafford in that gap.

The dude hasn't played a full game since Week 17 last season. He's bound to have some rust.

He's a better option than Manuel. The Bills are pretty talented and Orton could certainly keep them in contention in the AFC East this season.

Maybe. It's a marginal upgrade. Perhaps Orton tunes up a bit throughout the course of the season, but it won't be a revelation. The Bills need something much better at the position. I become more of a fan of Watkins with every game that passes but the Bills could have definitely used that first rounder to get some new talent under center.

I also think Manuel is on the roster through next year. He'll probably compete in camp - might even start another game.

LJ11

You made your bed, now lie in it!

I was in and out of that game in terms of attention, but it seems like when I caught it they either took advantage of his aggression or guided him away from the play.

Watt guesses at times, educated guess. He'll cross the face of the T and try to dive inside, and sometimes that takes him completely out of position on the outside. Remember the spin move you commented on last week, I'm not sure if it's design, but he gave up the outside only to make a ridiculous play to save it from being bounced. When he beat Smith on that would be sack, not sure if he had the snap count, he got off the line so fast, it was unreal how he beat Smith. He can be too aggressive, trying to do too much, but his athleticism allows him to make up for mistakes.

eznark

Banned
#FreeMallett

Ryan-Mallett-publicly-drunk.jpg

MechDX

Watt guesses at times, educated guess. He'll cross the face of the T and try to dive inside, and sometimes that takes him completely out of position on the outside. Remember the spin move you commented on last week, I'm not sure if it's design, but he gave up the outside only to make a ridiculous play to save it from being bounced. When he beat Smith on that would be sack, not sure if he had the snap count, he got off the line so fast, it was unreal how he beat Smith. He can be too aggressive, trying to do too much, but his athleticism allows him to make up for mistakes.

They knew the snap count. When Dallas had to go to a silent count (lol) Texans defensive players picked up the guard tapping the center on his leg to snap the ball. At least that was said to a reporter afterwards.

Watt taking risks and rushing inside is ok if we had one OLB'er who could hold the edge on a run.

Godslay

Banned
Watt guesses at times, educated guess. He'll cross the face of the T and try to dive inside, and sometimes that takes him completely out of position on the outside. Remember the spin move you commented on last week, I'm not sure if it's design, but he gave up the outside only to make a ridiculous play to save it from being bounced. When he beat Smith on that would be sack, not if he had the snap count, he got off the line so fast, it was unreal how he beat Smith. He can be too aggressive, trying to do too much, but his athleticism allows him to make up for mistakes.

Watt is just plain fun to watch at times. What will really be great is when his experience level matches his talent. Mistakes will be made less often, and ideally he'll still have his physical gifts.

I'm off to work! Have a good one guys.

Farooq

Banned
I am hearing rumblings of Garrett getting extended and I wouldn't be mad. Although I do think the current success of the Cowboys could be attributed to the coaching pieces around him. An example could be the run game. Callahan and Frank Pollack have done a wonderful job developing the offensive line. The run schemes are simple, a lot of inside and outside zones/stretches, mixed with in with the odd one back power, but the offensive line is executing and that is on Callahan. TE coach Mike Pope is another addition that I think has helped improve the run game. Just pop the tape of the Titans game and watch how well Hanna and Witten are executing their blocks.

Garrett had a part in bringing in these coaches to oversee his program, and I do think you have to give props to him for getting the roster younger and retooling the offensive line. Before Garrett, Jerry had never spent a first round pick on an offensive linemen. Personally, I would like to see Garrett see through his rebuild of the Cowboys program.

I don't think enough people watched that game if they thought Watt was shut down. He's not going to repeat last week every fucking week, Dallas had their hands full, literally.

Romo even admitted that the pressure from the front 7 rushed his reads. He could not wait for plays to develop. Texans front 7 played extremely well and were disruptive, even if it doesn't show up on the stat sheet.

Edit: Romo's quote discussing Watt and the Texans pass rush.

"He (Watt) still made a difference," Romo said. "I don't know if it was him every time, but they were better than they probably looked. A lot of times I will just wait something out because it will look like a better play. This one you had to get rid of the ball. Against these guys, you didn't have time to wait on these third and fourth options."

So after 5 weeks who are the actual really good teams? (I think we can agree Seattle is and Washington isn't)

Seattle
Denver
San Diego

Cardinals? Bengals? God forbid, an NFC East team?

MechDX

Yeah we lost to Dallas, its over and done with. I predicted a loss anyway.

On to the Colts. Fuck the Colts. #FreeMallett

I am hearing rumblings of Garrett getting extended and I wouldn't be mad. Although I do think the current success of the Cowboys could be attributed to the coaching pieces around him. An example could be the run game. Callahan and Frank Pollack have done a wonderful job developing the offensive line. The run schemes are simple, a lot of inside and outside zones, stretches, mixed with in with the odd one back power, but the offensive line is executing and that is on Callahan. TE coach Mike Pope is another addition that I think has helped improve the run game. Just pop the tape of the Titans game and watch how well Hanna and Witten are executing their blocks.

Garrett had a part in bringing in these coaches to oversee his program, and I do think you have to give props to him for getting the roster younger and retooling the offensive line. Before Garrett, Jerry had never spent a first round pick on an offensive linemen. Personally, I would like to see Garrett see through his rebuild of the Cowboys program.

Romo even admitted that the pressure from the front 7 rushed his reads. He could not wait for plays to develop. Texans front 7 played extremely well and were disruptive, even if it doesn't show up on the stat sheet.

There were several plays where you saw romo chuck it and duck for cover because of the pass rush, the big 3rd down pass to dez in OT was one of those.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Yeah we lost to Dallas, its over and done with. I predicted a loss anyway.

On to the Colts. Fuck the Colts. #FreeMallett

It hurts more than you care to admit with the whole Dallas vs. Houston thing that these cities have going on.

Fort Worth still wins though.

There were a couple before they just don't post very much. That one guy with the Rivers goober face as his avatar.

Kurasagi or something like that?

Farooq

Banned
There were several plays where you saw romo chuck it and duck for cover because of the pass rush, the big 3rd down pass to dez in OT was one of those.

Yup, on the play to Dez, Romo couldn't even read the closed side because of the pressure . Romo changed Dez's route on the play because of what the Texans were running. Texans were in dime, single high safety. Romeo brought pressure (cross blitz from the inside backers), and Romo knew Dez was one on one. Romo also knew the safety was cheating on the closed side (formation was double slot, on the closed side they had Witten, Beasley and Williams), so he was able to put air on the ball to give Dez a chance to make a play, and god damn did Dez make a play.

MechDX

It hurts more than you care to admit with the whole Dallas vs. Houston thing that these cities have going on.

Fort Worth still wins though.

Kurasagi or something like that?

I take the divisional game over a non conference game every week.

bionic77

Can we all agree that Pats fans are the worst?
This is like saying that water is wet.

Hold up now, fried okra is delicious.
And I will follow that up by agreeing with a Pats fan.

Good fried okra is amazing.

Hard to find good okra in the northeast though. Usually we get some shitty stuff at wegmans and most grocery stores. I think you have to go to an indian or asian grocery store to get the good stuff up here.

slabrock

Banned
lol at Ubi openly admitting that went for console parity on AssCreed Unity because they are tired of the Resolution Wars on the Internet.

Joke Company

We're good over here. Bowser popped the bubbly a bit too soon this year, but can you really blame him. We're only good every 5 years, we're going to enjoy that shit damnit!

yeah, definitely not buying AC:U at full price. Might buy it used if I get the urge to play it.

cajunator

Banned
This is like saying that water is wet.

And I will follow that up by agreeing with a Pats fan.

Good fried okra is amazing.

Hard to find good okra in the northeast though. Usually we get some shitty stuff at wegmans and most grocery stores. I think you have to go to an indian or asian grocery store to get the good stuff up here.

thanks God for the South

Zeke

So after 5 weeks who are the actual really good teams? (I think we can agree Seattle is and Washington isn't)

Seattle
Denver
San Diego

Cardinals? Bengals? God forbid, an NFC East team?
Hey now, NFC Beast has a combined 12 wins, more than any other division and the sole division with with two 4 win teams. Don't hate man. That being said Fuck the eagles and fuck the giants.

Top Bottom