• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 5 |OT| The Week of Embarrassment and the Fall of an Empire

Greg

Has anyone received multiple Grudens Grinders Awards besides MRSA's sister?
Why are they digging up Al Davis' corpse?
smug.gif
:jnc :jnc

Godslay

Banned
RB's don't do it from behind them. It's illegal on interception returns too.

Thomas wasn't behind him. He was at a slight angle to him.

The idea on a cut block is to knock their legs out from underneath them, basically because you can't block them one on one. Ideally you aim for the thigh, slightly above the knee, but below the hips and lead with the shoulder.

Too high and you'll just chip them, too low they'll move over the block. Thomas was actually close to the thigh, just a bit too low, and hit the knee. It just so happened that he was engaged with Clady (Clady was also showing pass pro, hence the lure call), so the result is that the cut block turns into a chop block.

Do I think it was dirty? No. I don't think Thomas is that type of player. It's a mix of his poor blocking ability, and him not paying attention to what Clady was doing. I feel bad for Campbell and wish him the best (he's a Colorado guy after all), but it's a football play gone wrong.

eznark

Banned
Scalp em, skins!

Tomahawk chop!

Other cheers about Indians!

We are all redskins fans tonight.

It's going to be a long night.

LJ11

In fairness, Woods was getting blown up on Sunday. On one Spiller run, dude shoots right past Woods to force a five yard loss. It's pretty much instantaneous - like Woods isn't even there.

People dog Spiller but he's not a between-the-tackles kind of back. His best success is running off tackle because he explodes through clean openings and outruns angles. But there were none because the Lions were shooting gaps and winning 1 on 1s consistently.
Interior is just bad, there's no cohesion inside. We've had Richardson, Urbik, Williams, Pears play G, they've stunk it up. Unfortunately this coaching staff can't seem to find a way to get anything out of those 4, they can't coach them up. That's something Joe D did under Chan, something sorely lacking on this team. We took guys off the scrap heap and turned them into viable starters, incredible job by Joe D.

I hope Spiller finds his way next season, he'll be on a new team and hopefully one that will utilize his strengths. Gailey in 2012 put him in great situations. Spiller should be in a single back offense, no FB or dual TEs. Just spread the opponent out and let Spiller operate. When you give him room, when you give him the 4 yards he needs, then he can take it to the next level with his elusiveness. We can't block simple runs, the coaching staff wants to grind runs up the middle. Hard to watch. Our screen game is still weak but were getting the ball to the backs in space, it's just not Spiller who's out there. Wish Fred was younger, he's a special player IMO.

There's no hiding the fact the Bills went after running backs in the past draft, they just couldn't trade up to get the one they wanted, Hyde. Won't be shocked at all if they take one with their first selection.

Colasante

NFL Sack Leaders, Week 5

1. Justin Houston (6.0)
2. Marcell Dareus (5.0)
3. Ryan Kerrigan (5.0)
4. Willie Young (5.0)
5. Mario Addison (4.0)

I didn't realize Dareus has been that good.

Vita netted me a little over 200 with a few games and accessories after the trade in earlier today.

Preordered Evil Within, Sunset Overdrive and Alien Isolation and have the rest in credit in case Driveclub clicks with me.

LJ11

When Idzik took over as Jets GM their roster was considered bad, pundits loved to take shots at their roster. He's had two drafts, is that enough time to turn it around? I mean his drafts haven't been disasters, I thought Millner was overrated, but Richardson is a stud. It's hard to get 3 quality starters out of a draft, yet Idzik was supposed to turn that roster around in 2 seasons? Some of you dudes are crazy. I love when GMs take over talented rosters, have to do fuck all and get praised. Or they draft Andrew Luck, win executive of the year, and proceed to get raped in multiple trades.

eznark

Banned
What use does that mask have, besides helping you rob a liquor store, honestly curious?

Supposed to work like a bat donut. Make working out harder so that when you don't use the mask everything seems easier.

I used one when I ran a relay in the smokey mountains to try and get used to the altitude changes. Honestly all it does it restrict how much air you can breathe. You may as well just run with a towel tied to your face.

Fox318

When Idzik took over as Jets GM their roster was considered bad, pundits loved to take shots at their roster. He's had two drafts, is that enough time to turn it around? I mean his drafts haven't been disasters, I thought Millner was overrated, but Richardson is a stud. It's hard to get 3 quality starters out of a draft, yet Idzik was supposed to turn that roster around in 2 seasons? Some of you dudes are crazy. I love when GMs take over talented rosters, have to do fuck all and get praised. Or they draft Andrew Luck, win executive of the year, and proceed to get raped in multiple trades.

He has had some diaster signings. (Goodson , Peterson)
He drafted players with major injury problems going into the draft.
There hasn't been any improvement in any of the positions groups.
He has fucked around agents with offering deals and waiting until the market was closed then lowballing them since the market was closed.

Jets has 2 things on their need list this year. WR and CB and he is pulling dudes off of the street to fill in those positions when he started the year with 40 mil to spend and 12 draft picks.

0zjPvic.png

Colasante

When you have $40 million in cap space and 12 draft picks and your starting cornerbacks end up being Darrin Walls and Antonio Allen, you fucked up, bar none. Idzik whiffed on Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and Alterraun Verner because of low ball offers, cut Antonio Cromartie for no reason, refused to sign Darrelle Revis, and started the season with $24 million left over for, what, a rainy day?

I liked the Eric Decker signing and the drafting of Jace Amaro, but when you have a quarterback like Geno Smith, you have to know that is not nearly enough weapons to mask his flaws.

effzee

It would be fine if Izdik was brought over to clean house completely and build from scratch.

But they kept their coach. Not his coach, but the owner's coach. Last year he was on his last year of the contract in win now mode. He is again on his last year with a win now mentality. It doesn't make sense. You can't both win now and build for the future when you have so many areas to address.

And that supposed great D is only a great front 7 and nothing else. So if you aren't going to fire the coach and try to win now, might as well spend the money. 20 million under the cap for what? WR rich draft and who did they get? Could have pursued Desean yet they settled for Eric Decker who can't even stay healthy.

They either didn't address their weaknesses or addressed it very inadequately. That's on the GM. You don't have to hit on all your draft picks but you should be able to supplement with smart FA pickups and some sense of direction. Jets have none. Coach and GM are doing 2 different things.

Godslay

Banned
And that supposed great D is only a great front 7 and nothing else. So if you aren't going to fire the coach and try to win now, might as well spend the money. 20 million under the cap for what? WR rich draft and who did they get? Could have pursued Desean yet they settled for Eric Decker who can't even stay healthy.

Decker probably fits that team a bit better though. Bigger and is a good blocker. Complements their run game. Not knocking Desean, but I don't think he complements that well.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
i made chili

ground beef, linguica, chorizo, onions, jalapenos, chipotle peppers, and kidney beans.

suck my diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick
I made burnt ends chili yesterday, burnt ends from brisket, red kidney beans, beef broth, crushed tomatoes, corn, bacon.

Me> you.

effzee

I know its late but I never get to post during the games on Sunday but my thoughts on the Eagles:

For once I'll give the D a pass. Billy Davis though...why does anyone ever play PREVENT D? I've only seen it work in Madden but even then WTF? Yes I get you are up 34-7 and its hard to maintain the same intensity for the remaining 1.5 quarters but this is the NFL and every team has a chance if you let them hang.

Billy Davis is a fucking moron for calling off the blitzes and letting them march on his prevent D.

And I love you Chip but you moron milk the goddamn clock. You have a huge lead you just want to get out of the game now. Why are we snapping the ball with 15 seconds left on the clock?

Foles sucks. It wasn't even the line. He doesn't look comfortable. Even when he has perfect protection he doesn't step up into the pocket to put some zip on the ball, starts back peddling for no reason, and when getting sacked he just throws it up. He is so fucking lucky he doesn't have more turnovers. Everyone points to his #s last year....he only had 2 INTs but should have close to 10. He had so many passes dropped by corners or tipped into the Eagles WRs hands.

Takes terrible sacks, can't run, slow to make decisions, has no arm strength, and has looked lost at times. I can't believe the #s Maclin is putting up with him and how much better he would be if we had a QB with any arm strength.

McCoy picked it up a bit but its pretty obvious the problems now. OLine still pretty hurt but getting healthy. The real problems are no threat from the QB to run so teams don't even care to look for Foles keeping the ball. They know he can't throw deep so they stack the box. And of course you don't have Desean to scare teams from inching up. Guarantee if DeSean is on this team the run game is 10x better.

Fuck just look at what Wilson is doing. We need a QB who can run for this offense. Vick if he could have ever stayed healthy would be tearing it up.

Top Bottom