• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 5 |OT| The Week of Embarrassment and the Fall of an Empire

Hunter S.

I do not know if i should be nervous for the Cards-Broncos game, or not. It kind of feels like Arizona should have the same record as the Broncos as they lucked out that win against the San Diego.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
♫ just thinkin' about tomorrow ♫

MrUbnxQ.jpg

Please stop this is so disheartening to me! I've never had to deal with childhood heroes growing old or falling from grace!

paul_pierce_illness.jpg

r

11-01-randy-moss_full_600.jpg

It's a part of sports. I think this pats team is in shambles, but if they pulled their shit together Tom would clearly look better than he has. That being said I've fully accepted his mortality and everyone elses a long time ago. People get old, even childhood heroes. I'm looking forward to the next stage, just like I can't wait to watch Marcus Smart/James Young, Jimmy G, and xander bogaerts (yikes), let's see if any of that sticks.

But what makes sports great, memories of the great things they did while they were in the game. Those people become legends and are remembered forever.

nfl_g_brady_300.jpg

pierce-mvp-1809659.jpg

1019-red-sox-win-alcs.jpg_full_600.jpg

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
legends indeed

opkc0Ib.jpg

You got it. Favre is a special case. He never really got one where he could rest his hat on. He could've been fine if he had just gone quietly, but he had that whole will he, won't he? And even THEN he would've been fine, despite being a bitch the way he handled his moving on from GB, but then he went ahead and sent his little weeny out there with voicemails and all for the whole world to see.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
If Peterson doesn't fumble 3 times The Vikes win that game.

If Favre doesn't throw the pick in 07, they probably beat us too. Toms ankle/foot was all fucked, and the whole Randy Controversy clearly got to him, the offense in both the AFCC and the SB just never quite got right.

edit- either way, despite ADP 3 fumbles, they were well on their way to an OT win, when Favre gave it right back.

Greg

You got it. Favre is a special case. He never really got one where he could rest his hat on. He could've been fine if he had just gone quietly, but he had that whole will he, won't he? And even THEN he would've been fine, despite being a bitch the way he handled his moving on from GB, but then he went ahead and sent his little weeny out there with voicemails and all for the whole world to see.
and now he's the face of MicroTouch

full circle!

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
and now he's the face of MicroTouch

full circle!

That works almost too well, somebody knew what they were doing.

Scary how much Sterger looked like a young Mrs. Favre though. I wonder how that conversation went.

edit- also Sydney Rice was an absolute monster that season, I remember hoping we could land him in the lockout season. Thank God we dodged that bullet right into this masterpiece.

is_chad_ochocinco_ready_to_buy_into_the_patriot_way.jpg

What a tandem they were.

Yeah, why the hell did Whitehurst start over him last week? Has everyone there pretty much given up on Locker?

Still gonna be a tough game for the Browns, we haven't won a road contest in a year, but we played our first 3 games extremely tough minus some crappy D.
Whitehurst is the backup while Metz is the 3rd. Only way Titans can win is pounding the ball. Bishop needs to break out soon

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Favre's case was really special, because that final stretch run to conquer that one and done, and choke artist image he had developed, he choked 2 more times, being the direct result of the end of his run. It was the slingin' and slangin' that he lived by, but more often died by that buried him. Brady has done far more to already stake his claim, but if he did pile on controversies and if he really is completely gassed and drags this sucker out and by far too many years, and then gets caught assaulting somewhat, or a DUI or something awful and kills his legacy, I pray we land as softly as Favre fans did, right onto this beautiful bastard

aaron-rodgers-belt.jpg

Jimmy G definitely has Tom's looks at the very least ;)

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
If the patriots went 2-14 could Bill be fired?

Not that they will.

I want Bill the GM fired ASAP, seriously dude is so awful. His draft record is ridiculous, his coaching staff is a disgrace, and his free agent signings are outright bizarre. I do not understand bill the GM, I never will.

Patriots7

I want Bill the GM fired ASAP, seriously dude is so awful. His draft record is ridiculous, his coaching staff is a disgrace, and his free agent signings are outright bizarre. I do not understand bill the GM, I never will.
Please never post that list of Bill's busts again.
I just thought of it and it just made me hurt.

I feel like a missed opportunity list would be pretty bad as well.

We could have had Greg Jennings and Randy Moss. On the same field. Oh my God I weep.

Greg

Favre's case was really special, because that final stretch run to conquer that one and done, and choke artist image he had developed, he choked 2 more times, being the direct result of the end of his run. It was the slingin' and slangin' that he lived by, but more often died by that buried him. Brady has done far more to already stake his claim, but if he did pile on controversies and if he really is completely gassed and drags this sucker out and by far too many years, and then gets caught assaulting somewhat, or a DUI or something awful and kills his legacy, I pray we land as softly as Favre fans did, right onto this beautiful bastard

Jimmy G definitely has Tom's looks at the very least ;)
you need a true heir like Matt Flynn

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
When I said no one can beat us I meant no one should beat us but going 19-0 is damn near impossible.

If it reads like /b/ why do you have so many posts in this thread?

This may be hard to wrap your head around, but here we go. Sometimes does not equate to all the time. Btw I've been in the top 5 posters of weekly nfl threads on several occasions. Really amazing feat that proves how big a fan I am!

cajunator

Banned
One thing I noticed up here though in urban Maryland people are really standoffish. They just kind of refuse to smile or look like they are enjoying life. Even the Pennsylvanians I met were very cheerful upbeat and really fun.

One thing I noticed up here though in urban Maryland people are really standoffish. They just kind of refuse to smile or look like they are enjoying life. Even the Pennsylvanians I met were very cheerful upbeat and really fun.

The Natives weren't very friendly of cosplayers and such in Otakon I noticed when I went all them years ago, but that was downtown. ;o

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
NFL-GAF being shut down? As if!

Yes we get heated in here but it's not as bad. Any community can be pretty scary to new people but I feel we're all pretty good with anyone coming in asking questions about the game getting thoughtful responses.

I think it also helps that we have fairly decent representation of most of the teams so anyone coming to cheer for their team whether the team is complete shit or really good they will have a bunch of people to bring them in.

cajunator

Banned

Yes we get heated in here but it's not as bad. Any community can be pretty scary to new people but I feel we're all pretty good with anyone coming in asking questions about the game getting thoughtful responses.

I think it also helps that we have fairly decent representation of most of the teams so anyone coming to cheer for their team whether the team is complete shit or really good they will have a bunch of people to bring them in.

Good morning Kavey! *hugs

Godslay

Banned

I try to welcome anyone that posts, I think most of us are like that. The only exception to that is someone coming out of nowhere to blast someone. Context matters of course, but its not the best idea to come in guns blazing.

the thing about nfl-age is that we are all brothers here and best friends. i would let any of you stay at my house and use my shower if needed

We've got a good core of posters. I consider this thread the redeeming factor of gaf for me. Hopefully we can prevent recent posters from turning it into their vision of /b.

I do not know if i should be nervous for the Cards-Broncos game, or not. It kind of feels like Arizona should have the same record as the Broncos as they lucked out that win against the San Diego.

They are a good team with a good coach. They are missing some key players and still winning. Not to mention they have a couple coaches that were pretty close to Peyton, so that might be a slight advantage.

I think being at home, after a loss, with pressure from two AFC West teams pushing the Broncos, will resharpen the sword. The Cards have the capacity to beat us no doubt. I just think the Broncos know that this game has divisional implications at this point so they have to step it up.

Should be a good game if Staton plays well.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I kind of like our random sense of humor though. Every now and then we get to a dark place of noodle girls, anime, and pineapple pizza but that's the risk you take with some of the regulars that we have around here.

Let's face it, 95% of us simply don't know the Xs and Os of football and news can be slow sometimes yet we all apparently enjoy this thread for whatever is posted here. Thus, we're sometimes left with the degeneracy of water lizards, Canadians, and Cambodians. It happens!

What are you doing Noodle? How was your day? Thoughts on this 2014 Detroit Lions team?

Not Noodle, but we need to back a dump truck of money up for Teryl Austin. If he keeps that defense playing at this level, he deserves every penny and more.

Also, looking at the Lions upcoming schedule, they have four definitely winnable games. Still, I think how they play after Week 9 is most of important; we have had these hot starts turn into cold shit on a plate before (see: last year).

Skele7on

Banned
IN THREE WEEKS

I will be at wembley stadium block super drunk watching the Lions :D

I AM SO EXCITED. I hope Megatron is okay to play though!

IN THREE WEEKS

I will be at wembley stadium block super drunk watching the Lions :D

I AM SO EXCITED. I hope Megatron is okay to play though!

grats. I wanted to go but ran out of time due to work (ie I wanted to take off that Monday, after the game, to avoid jet lag). Was gonna get two tickets and find a random London babe to take.

Top Bottom