• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 6 |OT| The League of Frauds

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Trent Richardson is the third worst player in NFL history in terms of YPC for backs with at least 500 carries. The only two guys he's ahead of were full backs.

Was one of them John Kuhn aka 3rd/4th and goal love child for McCarthy?

Not sure why anyone would care about PC versions of a game having some locked resolution. It usually takes about 20 seconds after the game releases for someone to release a mod or find some way to unlock it anyways. Total non-issue.

I wish Sega would dump the Yakuza games onto PC so someone would have that crap modded and translated. Best thing about PC gaming is that if you don't like something about a game, chances are someone else didnt either and there's a mod for that.

The more terminal problem with the steam version of FF13 is that it's FF13.

:jnc

Andrew Luck is like a weird Favre/Peyton hybrid, with all their goods and bads.

Indy really has nothing to bitch about since they're basically contenders for the next 10 years with him.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
While that's an amazing Rodgers stat, some small portion of that is Rodgers basically holding onto the ball for too long and taking a sack or throwing it away instead of making a play.

Regardless, it's still an amazing change of pace from Brent.

eznark

Banned
While that's an amazing Rodgers stat, some small portion of that is Rodgers basically holding onto the ball for too long and taking a sack or throwing it away instead of making a play.

It's like The Worst of Packers Fans rolled into one post.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

Come on now, don't make me dig up quotes of just about everyone here bitching about him doing that at some point. Every quarterback has a few flaws. His flaws just happen to involve receivers who can't get open as well.

Preemptive "fuck you too" to whatever witty retort you have coming back to me also.

I love how Rodgers focuses on attacking downfield instead of just dinking and dunking at the first sign of pressure. He can make the short passes when he needs to but it's not his main method of attacking like say Alex Smith. The only time it really comes back to hurt you is when the opposing d-line is constantly wrecking plays early but that's true with just about every QB. Thankfully Rodgers is also godlike at evading pressure and moving in the pocket!

eznark

Banned
Come on now, don't make me dig up quotes of just about everyone here bitching about him doing that at some point. Every quarterback has a few flaws. His flaws just happen to involve receivers who can't get open as well.

Preemptive "fuck you too" to whatever witty retort you have coming back to me also.

I think this bizarre notion that Packers fans (and seemingly all the advanced stats people) have that taking a sack is as bad (or in some cases nut jobs like you who think it's worse) as throwing a pick is probably the most baffling idea currently prevalent in football.

jmdajr

ij5AP7dagZNuN.gif

God damn NFL league. They know we can't win these prime time games and they keep giving them to us. Shit. Mean bastards!

Well the media love for Watt is nice, and so is having a team not full of quitters, but if we want to set up another heartbreak loss at Indianapolis we better start winning some games or it will just be random defeat no.566972.

I think this bizarre notion that Packers fans (and seemingly all the advanced stats people) have that taking a sack is as bad (or in some cases nut jobs like you who think it's worse) as throwing a pick is probably the most baffling idea currently prevalent in football.
This is the number one reason why QBR is a garbage stat.

I know that Foles said coming into this season that he would take less sacks because people got on him so much for having so many sacks last year, even though he only had 2 picks all season. It definitely seems like people would rather have a QB that takes chances down the field no matter what.

JNA

Banned

...so Rodgers is smart? Those two things you mentioned are much better than throwing the INT, especially throwing the ball away if no guy is open. I mean what do you want him to do? Be like Farve and throw it in triple coverage?

He also hasn't really held the ball THAT much for the past couple of years. It's more like the offensive line can't make protect for crap if their lives depended on it for 4 or 5 seconds.

Seriously Payton with his O-line can stay in the pocket and write a book while Rodgers is busy scrambling like a mad man due to his blind slide sleeping on the job.

In fact, now that I think about it even more, that record is even more amazing considering how many times Rodgers has to scramble out of the pocket.

Just watched the game back.

Yesssssssssss Colts.

Shouldn't have been as hard as it was in the end.

We are going to lose first play off game :(

eznark

Banned
I know that Foles said coming into this season that he would take less sacks because people got on him so much for having so many sacks last year, even though he only had 2 picks all season. It definitely seems like people would rather have a QB that takes chances down the field no matter what.

Yeah, those people are idiots. Especially when you have a defense as pathetically terrible as Green Bay and Philadelphia. One possession can often be the entire game in a shoot out.

Well the media love for Watt is nice, and so is having a team not full of quitters, but if we want to set up another heartbreak loss at Indianapolis we better start winning some games or it will just be random defeat no.566972.
Except for Hopkins of course. Post-fumble you'd have thought that football had Ebola or something.

bionic77

A pick is obviously worse.

But it is even more preferable to throw the ball away instead of taking the sack.

It all depends on the situation and circumstances of course. And I am sure that many of the times that Rodgers has held onto the ball for that extra half a second has led to a big play or TD.

Tom Penny

Regardless, it's still an amazing change of pace from Brent.

He wasn't making plays when he had like 45 TD's and a only a handful of INT's? Number one job of any offense player first and foremost is keeping possession of the ball.

I do think Foles holds the ball too long at times, though. With Rodgers it usually seems like there is just nothing there after a quick scan of the field, whereas with Foles it often feels more like he is kind of freezing under pressure a bit and being indecisive. Rodgers is not overly conservative but I think Foles can be at times.

jmdajr

Yesssssssssss Colts.

Nah. You won't play the Broncos. Worst case scenario is Charges on wild card weekend or gasp... maybe even the Texans!
lolols

eznark

Banned
A pick is obviously worse.

But it is even more preferable to throw the ball away instead of taking the sack.

It all depends on the situation and circumstances of course. And I am sure that many of the times that Rodgers has held onto the ball for that extra half a second has led to a big play or TD.

Know what's worse than either the pick or the sack?

Ask Fitzmagic about how his night ended when he tried to get cute with the ball in a dirty pocket.

JNA

Banned

Those people are idiots (or just terrible opinions). What logic is there with people that think losing a couple of yards or so is worse than giving away possession? Especially when you almost have no control in getting sacked besides your skills in evasion.

Sephzilla

He's right though. Rodgers holds onto the ball way too long once and a while. A lot of sacks Rodgers takes are well after the magical 5 seconds everyone says a QB has before he needs to scramble and get rid of the ball.

Edit: I wouldn't mind Rodgers taking sacks so much if it wasn't for the fact that I usually see an open wideout when they show replays of his sacks. On top of that, Rodgers sacks tend to infuriate me because they seem to murder drives, because of McCarthy gets stuck in a 3rd and 15 situation you can almost guarantee he's going to run some draw play or wide receiver screen and pretty much concede the drive.

Yesssssssssss Colts.

It'll be a home game. I'm expecting a win there. But we'll see how we continue down this road. Bengals, Steelers, revived Giants, bye, Patriots. Need to show up strong against those teams.

Those people are idiots (or just terrible opinions). What logic is there with people that think losing a couple of yards or so is worse than giving away possession? Especially when you almost have no control in getting sacked besides your skills in evasion.
There is more to it than that. A QB reading the field slowly, getting overly conservative, and/or taking his eyes off of downfield can lead to unnecessary sacks. Brady and Peyton have made a living in this league by releasing the ball quickly, it's a very desirable trait. A QB needs to be decisive and not too gun shy, but of course you can go too far in the other direction as well.

I think Rodgers has found a pretty good balance. Guys like Foles and Tannehill still have work to do.

eznark

Banned
Rodgers has been sacked about 30% more often than Brady but throws interceptions with 18% less frequently. Personally the six yards lost per sack vs. the loss of possession is probably worth demonstrably more than that frequency difference. \

Given that the Packers offense pushed the ball 14% further downfield on average than the Patriots offense during their respective tenures, I think it's pretty obvious that the advantage, strategically, goes to Rodgers.

Obviously this doesn't factor in things like Brady's generally excellent offensive line for most of his career or Rodgers' generally better outside talent for most of his career, but I think it does illustrate that crying about sacks when you are basically refusing to ever turn the ball over is pretty fucking stupid.

He's right though. Rodgers holds onto the ball way too long once and a while.

Edit: I wouldn't mind Rodgers taking sacks so much if it wasn't for the fact that I usually see an open wideout when they show replays of his sacks. On top of that, Rodgers sacks tend to infuriate me because they seem to murder drives, because of McCarthy gets stuck in a 3rd and 15 situation you can almost guarantee he's going to run some draw play or wide receiver screen and pretty much concede the drive.

Once in awhile's, seems to's and tend to's. Ok! But my favorite part of this post is definitely Seph's contention that he has better field vision than Rodgers.

eznark

Banned
There is more to it than that. A QB reading the field slowly, getting overly conservative, and/or taking his eyes off of downfield can lead to unnecessary sacks. Brady and Peyton have made a living in this league by releasing the ball quickly, it's a very desirable trait. A QB needs to be decisive and not too gun shy, but of course you can go too far in the other direction as well.

I think Rodgers has found a pretty good balance. Guys like Foles and Tannehill still have work to do.

Yes, I am specifically talking about Rodgers here. Not Generic Quarterback.

Sephzilla

Rodgers has been sacked about 30% more often than Brady but throws interceptions with 18% less frequently. Personally the six yards lost per sack vs. the loss of possession is probably worth demonstrably more than that frequency difference. \

Given that the Packers offense pushed the ball 14% further downfield on average than the Patriots offense during their respective tenures, I think it's pretty obvious that the advantage, strategically, goes to Rodgers.

Obviously this doesn't factor in things like Brady's generally excellent offensive line for most of his career or Rodgers' generally better outside talent for most of his career, but I think it does illustrate that crying about sacks when you are basically refusing to ever turn the ball over is pretty fucking stupid.

Crying about sacks (which is a really stupid way to word it, by the way) is a totally acceptable thing to complain about when Rodgers hangs on to the ball for 5+ seconds well past when he should have gotten rid of it or when he's missing open or single coverage receivers.

Rodgers isn't as bad about sacks as he used to be, at least. Rodgers circa a few years ago liked to get cute and try to constantly pump fake DBs and it got him into a lot of trouble because he effectively just wasted time. He's not as bad about that stuff as he used to be and he generally has gotten better at getting rid of the ball.

I do think, however, that Rodgers would be more prone to taking chances and risking INTs if he actually had a defense that could back him up like what Favre had during his prime.

Once in awhile's, seems to's and tend to's. Ok! But my favorite part of this post is definitely Seph's contention that he has better field vision than Rodgers.

Quit being such a snarky asshole about it. I clearly qualified my statement by saying I see the open wide outs on replays and wasn't trying to imply that I somehow have better field vision than Rodgers. (Granted, I should given that I'm viewing the field from a far superior angle than he is anyway).

JNA

Banned

I can understand that but I haven't seen Rodgers do much of that. Besides, doesn't Rodgers have one of the quickest release throws in the league?

Isn't this still Foles's 2nd year as a full time starter? I'm sure he will get it as he progresses. He's got work but he's on the right track.

I'll put it this way: I would much rather have a guy like Foles or Philip Rivers than a guy like Eli Manning or Jay Cutler.

eznark

Banned
Crying about sacks (which is a really stupid way to word it, by the way) is a totally acceptable thing to complain about when Rodgers hangs on to the ball for 5+ seconds well past when he should have gotten rid of it or when he's missing open or single coverage receivers.

Rodgers isn't as bad about sacks as he used to be, at least. Rodgers circa a few years ago liked to get cute and try to constantly pump fake DBs and it got him into a lot of trouble because he effectively just wasted time. He's not as bad about that stuff as he used to be and he generally has gotten better at getting rid of the ball.

I do think, however, that Rodgers would be more prone to taking chances and risking INTs if he actually had a defense that could back him up like what Favre had during his prime.

His only sack outlier years were 06 and 07. Since then he has been pretty close to his career average. I doubt his decision to make stupid throws would increase with the improvement of his defense as his interception rate has not significantly wavered his entire career, despite his defenses abilities clearly doing so.

I clearly qualified my statement by saying I see the open wide outs on replays and wasn't trying to imply that I somehow have better field vision than Rodgers.
I mean, you did it again in your subsequent post, quoted above, so I think you were actually. Intentionally or not, you are implying that because you see them on a replay, Rodgers should see these wide open guys as well.

Rodgers isn't infallible, he has played poorly more often than great this season in particular, but to claim he consistently misses wide open receivers or hurts the team because he doesn't throw enough interceptions is just so dumb.

Dragon

Banned

Rodgers has the lowest interception rate of any QB ever. I was looking up something else the other day and came across that. Just amazing. Brady has always been more successful at the intermediate balls rather than deep ones. Except in 2007 really when Moss caught anything remotely close.

Yeah I'd rather take sacks too. And Luck should start to learn that. There were at least three times that I saw during the game yesterday where he just threw it up over the middle and got lucky (no pun intended). He needs to work on that.

bionic77

Rodgers has the lowest interception rate of any QB ever. I was looking up something else the other day and came across that. Just amazing. Brady has always been more successful at the intermediate balls rather than deep ones. Except in 2007 really when Moss caught anything remotely close.

Yeah I'd rather take sacks too. And Luck should start to learn that. There were at least three times that I saw during the game yesterday where he just threw it up over the middle and got lucky (no pun intended). He needs to work on that.
Fuck that I like slanging qb's!

Sephzilla

I mean, you did it again in your subsequent post, quoted above, so I think you were actually. Intentionally or not, you are implying that because you see them on a replay, Rodgers should see these wide open guys as well.

Rodgers isn't infallible, he has played poorly more often than great this season in particular, but to claim he consistently misses wide open receivers or hurts the team because he doesn't throw enough interceptions is just so dumb.

Also, how does "taking fewer sacks" = "throwing a ton of interceptions"? I don't think anybody is wanting Rodgers to just throw prayers up to they sky constantly. Taking chances does not directly equate to throwing more picks. Rodgers is more than talented enough to take risky throws but place the ball in places where defenders have the lowest chance of coming away with the ball. I'd rather see Rodgers throw more incompletions or throw balls away than see him take sacks.

bionic77

Me too, especially when they are on the Bears!
It has to work some of the time for it to be interesting to the impartial viewer.

Brent was probably the most exciting at this because you never knew if his next pass was going to be a miraculous TD or retarded INT. Cutler doesn't have enough positive and exciting plays to be in this conversation. He reminds me more of Schoobers and other bad qb's.

RELAYER

Banned
Praying Cutler slangs a few our way this Sunday, although our defense will probably make him look like a hall of famer.
Speaking of, have they inducted Teddy yet? Or at least finished orgasming?

Top Bottom