• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 6 |OT| The League of Frauds

Sephzilla

I guess this is the kind of QB people want. XD

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0UUeqvquXZI

And I just love what the announcer here says.

"He shoulda just held on to it"

But getting sacked is worse than an interception guys! :p

no fair. god favre was only at 50% his full strength because he was fighting the New Orleans Bounty Hunters. 100% Favre would have thrown the ball so hard it would have obliterated the DB and still got to the wideout :)

I really hope we karma slap the Giants just for that.
Yeah cause the Bradley Cooper video was in good taste or Jason Kelce insulting Coughlin's intelligence was a high water mark in response to Pierre-Paul.

It's one of the long standing rivalries in the NFL. Trash will be talked. I'd prefer both teams shut up and do their talking on the field but I'm not gonna lie - I'm entertained.:) Reminds me of the Mccoy/Osi days of shit talking one another.

By the way, I saw his posted on an Eagles blog site. I would TOTALLY buy it!

idVeTRm.png

Tony Romo is modern Favre. His team is winning now because the running game/o-line is awesome and the defense is overachieving but that style of play tends to bite your team in the ass come playoff time.

eznark

Banned
The real issues is that most of Rodgers' sacks are not coverage sacks.

According to FO, 64% of Rodgers' sacks in 2012 were on blown blocks. This means that he was under duress essentially from the jump on the play. These are the "good" sacks, in terms of QB play. Any attempt to get rid of the ball (JUST THROW IT AWAY DUH IDIOT) or expertly place the ball where only Jordy can get it while Nick Fairley is tea bagging you you piece of shit!!, comes with extreme risk not just of bad hurried throws but also you open yourself up to injury, sack fumbles, and yes...interceptions. Most interceptions (I think according to AFA last year 70% of interceptions were on hurries?) are a result of QB's trying to do too much under duress.

Last year Rodgers took 6 confusion sacks (which I generally pin squarely on the QB/receivers) and 5 coverage sacks (good job defense, these things happen).

So 11 sacks were ones in which Rodgers probably had time to either get rid of the football or "make a play." That hardly seems like an unreasonable number, especially given his production.

Striker

I really hope we karma slap the Giants just for that.
Posted from Eagles Twitter: https://amp.twimg.com/v/471f794c-05ed-46ad-8264-38a8a20abbfe

Eagles website talking trash to Eli (and Peyton?! But he never says anything, so... I guess it makes sense?): http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/n...ceptions/bca548b4-30f4-4d08-a3e7-2f09be517023

Among the numerous players talking thrash throughout the week. Or Malcolm Jenkins' shot at Eli before the season started. It is what it is, trash talk. Main difference is you don't see the Giants' social pages or websites acting like 16 year olds.

Sephzilla

Tony Romo is modern Favre. His team is winning now because the running game/o-line is awesome and the defense is overachieving but that style of play tends to bite your team in the ass come playoff time.

Romo really is the closest thing we have to a modern Favre.

I know a bunch of people IRL who want to make Cutler the Neo-Favre, but Cutler has none of Favre's perks.

eznark

Banned
Romo really is the closest thing we have to a modern Favre.

I know a bunch of people IRL who want to make Cutler the Neo-Favre, but Cutler has none of Favre's perks.

In terms of play style (RISK REWARD) Cutler (4.8% td rate/3.4% int rate) is far closer to Favre (5%/3.3%) than Romo (5.5%/2.7%) is.

JNA

Banned
My favorite part of that was always

"I can't believe what I'm seeing right now"

:jnc really?

I also love the way he says

"Why even ponder? You can take a knee, AND KICK A 56 YARD FIELD GOAL! THIS ISN'T DETROIT MAN THIS IS THE SUPERBOWL!"

Who is that announcer? I hate the Vikings but that announcer is a keeper lol.

Nintendos artists are so good.

I wonder how much more time and money it costs to add these kind of small details that are missing from most games.

:lol
The shadow on that third little doo dad coming around the circle doesn't have the snout that the actual doo dad has.

2/10 would not buy

Crisco

Banned
Rodgers has to both protect the ball and make big plays down the field for his team to succeed. If he were on the Seahawks, no doubt he'd just throw screens to Percy or hand off to Lynch all day long. But he can't do that on the Packers, that offense need 30+ a game to give them a good chance of winning. You don't put up those kind of points by just "taking what the defense gives you".

Rodgers has to both protect the ball and make big plays down the field for his team to succeed. If he were on the Seahawks, no doubt he'd just throw screens to Percy or hand off to Lynch all day long. But he can't do that on the Packers, that offense need 30+ a game to give them a good chance of winning. You don't put up those kind of points by just "taking what the defense gives you".
I don't care who Rodgers is playing for, you have to let the man do his thing! You can't waste those talents in an offense built around mediocre passing. Rodgers is good enough that you tailor the offense to him, not the other way around.

If you aren't letting Rodgers launch glorious 50 yard bombs regularly you are doing it wrong!

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
The real issues is that most of Rodgers' sacks are not coverage sacks.

According to FO, 64% of Rodgers' sacks in 2012 were on blown blocks. This means that he was under duress essentially from the jump on the play. These are the "good" sacks, in terms of QB play. Any attempt to get rid of the ball (JUST THROW IT AWAY DUH IDIOT) or expertly place the ball where only Jordy can get it while Nick Fairley is tea bagging you you piece of shit!!, comes with extreme risk not just of bad hurried throws but also you open yourself up to injury, sack fumbles, and yes...interceptions. Most interceptions (I think according to AFA last year 70% of interceptions were on hurries?) are a result of QB's trying to do too much under duress.

Last year Rodgers took 6 confusion sacks (which I generally pin squarely on the QB/receivers) and 5 coverage sacks (good job defense, these things happen).

So 11 sacks were ones in which Rodgers probably had time to either get rid of the football or "make a play." That hardly seems like an unreasonable number, especially given his production.

Well I won't argue with the numbers, I clearly was wrong in my initial assessment.

JNA

Banned
I don't care who Rodgers is playing for, you have to let the man do his thing! You can't waste those talents in an offense built around mediocre passing. Rodgers is good enough that you tailor the offense to him, not the other way around.

If you aren't letting Rodgers launch glorious 50 yard bombs regularly you are doing it wrong!

I mostly blame Mike McCarthy. I seriously hate his guts more so than Don Capers and THAT is saying something. It's a shame Rodgers is too good for his team to be under .500, otherwise MM would be canned faster than you can say cheese already.

Can you imagine if Rodgers had a coach like Bill Belichick? Just letting him do his own thing on offense and make the offensive line competent enough to protect him longer than 3 seconds in the pocket?

One can dream...one can dream... :(

Eh. Is that really necessary though?

Not to get on Rodgers specifically, bu I think that high volume of QB passes is detrimental to a team's long term chances of winning.

Simply put, the odds of a QB keeping up that high level of play throughout a playoff run is slim to none.

You know its bad when you want to take after the lions....just kill me now
Haha, in all seriousness though the Lions had the right idea on defense. You have to pressure Rodgers with four guys to have a shot. If you fail and have to start blitzing you are already dead. This is the strength of Miami's team so they have to step up for the Dolphins to have a shot.

eznark

Banned

Not to get on Rodgers specifically, bu I think that high volume of QB passes is detrimental to a team's long term chances of winning.

Simply put, the odds of a QB keeping up that high level of play throughout a playoff run is slim to none.

Interesting. Any data backing that up?

I'm not really taking about volume, just play design. Balance is good no matter who the QB is but if Rodgers is your QB the passing game should focus on downfield throws instead of all the little dink and dunk stuff that is becoming popular these days.

I know what happens when a team relies too much on a QB. Go look up Marino's stats from his SB loss. :(

Konka

Banned
Guys my fantasy team is 5-0 and TY Hilton was a revelation last night. I hope Tannehill doesn't fuck it up for me on Brees bye week.

Haha, in all seriousness though the Lions had the right idea on defense. You have to pressure Rodgers with four guys to have a shot. If you fail and have to start blitzing you are already dead. This is the strength of Miami's team so they have to step up for the Dolphins to have a shot.

Yeah we have the match ups to win, but I already know how it's going to go, we will come out flat, our D will keep us in the game, the offense will finally get it together only for the defense to collapse.

Top Bottom