• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 7 |OT| Newton's Laws of Football

brentech

Obvious troll is obvious. Try harder prick.

UVhKuf7.gif

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I don't get comments like this. Fuck you man.

I honestly hope the Texans get better. Houston should feel like one of their teams doesn't suck. I just don't see it getting any easier as long as you have Luck on the Colts.

Like ez said, I don't want him to end up like Joe Thomas, Larry Fitzgerald, Megatron, Barry Sanders, or any of the other all time greats. I would have added Adrian Peterson to this list a while back but he's getting all that he deserves!

Nobody wants to end their career as another Dan Marino. Nobody.

Greg

2.0 Firmware for the PS4 has some nice additions. Lack of suspend/resume though is irritating in its absence.
I can play music while I game? what an innovative feature

I'm going to feel bad for the Driveclub leaderboards when I'm listening to death metal while racing

Colasante

Kind of sad to think that, win or lose, this is probably the last time Rex Ryan's Jets are coming to Foxboro. It's been a fun rivalry.

cajunator

Banned
Seeing as it is a Thursday night "game" I decided my interests would be better served watching anime tonight.
Also my Uncle just gave my mother and I tickets to see LOLSU in Baton rouge on Saturday and those are always fun games to watch.

I REALLY hope the Saints dont cock up another game against Detroit but Im pretty sure they will.

Striker

Giants fans....Will Hill, how excited should I be?
Really talented. But it won't matter if he keeps getting suspended.

I miss him. One of the best players on defense last year with Beason. Now they're left with Quintin Demps and a recovering Stevie Brown who has cement feet now, I guess.

Fox318

Kind of sad to think that, win or lose, this is probably the last time Rex Ryan's Jets are coming to Foxboro. It's been a fun rivalry.

Honestly if the team still plays hard but continues to lose due to lack of talent (particularly with the wrs since 0 of the picks have done anything for the jets) he might stay around next year.

If people are fired this is the order in which most fans want

1. Owner
  2. GM
  3. Geno Smith
  4. Rex Ryan
  5. Neil Glat

As long as the players don't give up completely on Rex most of the fans would have him over Tom Cable, Dan Quinn, and Darrell Bevell.

Rex has had his team coached to play pretty good in all but 1 game(chargers) and the reports from that were that Smith missing meeting with other players has caused a rift between him and the rest of the team.

Owner was the person who brought Tebow and the one who fosters the controversy.

cajunator

Banned
Honestly if the team still plays hard but continues to lose due to lack of talent (particularly with the wrs since 0 of the picks have done anything for the jets) he might stay around next year.

If people are fired this is the order in which most fans want

1. Owner
  2. GM
  3. Geno Smith
  4. Rex Ryan
  5. Neil Glat

As long as the players don't give up completely on Rex most of the fans would have him over Tom Cable, Dan Quinn, and Darrell Bevell.

Rex has had his team coached to play pretty good in all but 1 game(chargers) and the reports from that were that Smith missing meeting with other players has caused a rift between him and the rest of the team.

Owner was the person who brought Tebow and the one who fosters the controversy.

Rex doesnt seem clueless but managament provides him with jack shit to work with.

Fox318

Rex doesnt seem clueless but managament provides him with jack shit to work with.

Jets have had a ton of sacks and most of the blown plays can be pointed at a week secondary.(Wilson is the biggest one).

I've seen players in all of the right spots but just not making the play or tackle so many times its amazing.

I can't wait till the bye week. Idzik is going to have a major press conference then and I want to hear from him why his draft class looks like this
kHmorT3.png

and why he signed players like Patterson and Mike Goodson to fill major holes.
It's not Woody's fault that Sparano turned God's son into a punt protector.

I can fucking tell you who is a fault for that.

Aa4ygDH.jpg

Ask the fucking fish fans what this fucker did.

Fucker is a quitter and a scumbag who rode out lucky wins, fixed games, and scumbag players to his hof class.

Zeke

I don't get comments like this. Fuck you man.

Jets have had a ton of sacks and most of the blown plays can be pointed at a week secondary.(Wilson is the biggest one).

I've seen players in all of the right spots but just not making the play or tackle so many times its amazing.

I can't wait till the bye week. Idzik is going to have a major press conference then and I want to hear from him why his draft class looks like this
http://i.imgur.com/kHmorT3.png[IMG]
and why he signed players like Patterson and Mike Goodson to fill major holes.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Aa4ygDH.jpg

Fucker is a quitter and a scumbag who rode out lucky wins, fixed games, and scumbag players to his hof class.
Wow parcells and rex could be twins. Also :jnc jags fans

Colasante

Aa4ygDH.jpg

152351.gif

The one thing that can bring Jets, Patriots, and Dolphins fans all together.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Eric Ebron sat out of practice today with a hamstring injury. And Fauria will not play this weekend.

Pettigrew would be the only TE on the roster of Ebron does not play.

Fox318

http://nyjets.about.com/od/Featured...u-playoffs-and-Jets-were-possible-in-2014.htm
Would DeSean Jackson and Brandon Flowers have led the Jets to the playoffs?
by Connor Hughes

The New York Jets needed playmakers, that was the most obvious realization as the 2014 season came to an end.

When Antonio Cromartie left the Jets and signed with the Arizona Cardinals in the offseason, a need for a cornerback opposite Dee Milliner joined atop the 'must acquire' list.

The Jets had money, lots of it. In fact, entering the free agency signing period, the team had more than $40 million in cap space. A few weeks into free agency, Ex-Philadelphia Eagles receiver DeSean Jackson become available. Shortly after, Ex-Kansas City Chiefs cornerback Brandon Flowers, as well.

The Jets didn't heavily pursue either. And now they're paying the price.

Despite their abundance of money, general manager John Idzik let Jackson sign with the Washington Redskins, and Flowers the San Diego Chargers. Both are experiencing extensive success with their new franchises this season.

Jackson has caught 23 passes for 479 yards and three touchdowns. He's averaging 20.8 yards per catch.

Flowers has intercepted two passes and defended seven others. A quarterback's rating when testing him is 62.6

The Jets still lack playmakers. They still lack a cornerback opposite Milliner. They still have loads of cash in their back pocket. Oh, and they're 1-5.

In a year in which the AFC East is more down than up, the division appears to be wide open. Tom Brady and the power house New England Patriots look vulnerable for the first time in a decade, the Buffalo Bills have a journeyman starting and quarterback and Miami Dolphins coach Joe Philbin is struggling to hold on to the squad.

This is the year the AFC East is wide open. And the Jets could have taken advantage.

While quarterback Geno Smith has been far from perfect in 2014, he hasn't had much help. Aside from receiver Eric Decker, who was the Jets prized free agent acquisition, New York has had little success from those lining up outside and in the slot. Through the first six weeks of the season, just one receiver not named Eric Decker has scored a touchdown.

Greg Salas has caught eight total passes, Jeremy Kerley is averaging eight yards a reception and David Nelson has 54 total yards. Defensive coordinators aren't blind, they see the lack of talent and are taking advantage of it.

On first and second down, defenses are stacking the box and bringing a safety near the line of scrimmage to contain the run. With their other safety, teams are shading him to Decker's side of the field. Opponent’s are daring the Jets receivers to make a play. The Jets receivers aren't.

With one signing. That all could have changed.

Dubbed one of the league's best deep receiving threats, Jackson, just 27 years old, has averaged 17.4 yards per reception throughout his seven-year NFL career. Last year, his final in Philadelphia, Jackson set career highs in catches (82), yards (1,332) and touchdowns (9).

Jackson is far from a perfect receiver in the NFL, but what he does is make plays. Jackson caught a 50-plus yard pass in five games last year. In five games last year, He stretches the field, making it so a defense needs to keep a safety over top to prevent the long bomb.

In essence, Jackson, theoretically, would be the perfect compliment to Decker. While Decker is a more polished receiver, a defense needs to pay more attention to Jackson for the fear of the 'home run.' The extra attention thrown Jackson's way will allow Decker to see more single coverage and run open underneath.

Last year, Decker's final season in Denver, the former third round pick caught 87 passes for 1,288 yards and 11 touchdowns. He lined up each week opposite Demaryius Thomas. Like Jackson, Thomas requires a defense's attention. He requires the coverage to be shaded his way. When that happens, it opens up more room for Decker.

Salas, Kerley and Nelson are not Jackson or Thomas. None require any coverage to be 'shaded' their way or a defense to apply anything more than single coverage. Last season, none of the three went over 100 yards in any one game.

While Thomas wasn't a free agent, Jackson was. He was there for the taking.

In his final season in Philadelphia, Jackson accounted for 83 yards per game and four points himself. This season, discounting the game Jackson only played a quarter due to a shoulder injury, he's averaging four points per game again.

In the Jets losses to Denver, the Detroit Lions and Chicago Bears, each game was decided by an average of nine points. Accounting for the average of four points per game Jackson accounts for (number of points scored divided by games played), that margin of defeat suddenly dips to just five points per game.

Starting opposite Milliner for the Jets has been a mixture of Darrin Walls and Antonio Allen. The two have allowed a combined six touchdowns. One of Allen's touchdowns was let up against Detroit, one of Walls against Chicago.

Flowers, who is presented rated as ProFootballFocus' No. 1 cornerback, has allowed just one touchdown in six games this year. Assuming that carries over with the Jets, Flowers would have allowed one touchdown during one of the aforementioned four Jets losses.

Mathematically, had Flowers been in for Walls against Chicago, or Allen against Detroit, neither of those two touchdowns are let up. Those five-point average defeats turn to two-point victories. Instead of 1-5, the Jets could be 3-3 with games against the Patriots, Bills, Chiefs, Pittsburgh Steelers, Bills and Dolphins on tap.

While both Jackson and Flowers seem to fit the Jets scheme, both would have also fit into their budget. Flowers agreed to a one-year contract with the Chargers and counts just $3 million against the cap. Jackson, meanwhile, signed a three-year, $24 million contract with Washington. This season, Jackson counts $4.25 million against the Redskins cap situation.

The Jets could have had both players in 2014 for $7.25 million. Flower's is off the books in 2015, Jackson will count $9.25 million against the cap in 2015 and 2016.

Things are spiraling out of control for the Jets as the team looks headed for an embarrassing close to the 2014-2015 season. The lack of a playmakers, and a cornerback, are a big reason why.

Is it guaranteed that adding Jackson and Flowers would have turned the season around and had the Jets in position for a playoff run?

No.

But they'd be in a better position than they are now.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Dutch, you already are an American. It doesn't matter where on Earth you are an honorary American citizen.

If a draft were to be ever called for some stupid war I'll be fighting side by side with you like a true Patriot.

Really talented. But it won't matter if he keeps getting suspended.

I miss him. One of the best players on defense last year with Beason. Now they're left with Quintin Demps and a recovering Stevie Brown who has cement feet now, I guess.

Very. Tons of talent. Hard hitter, good in coverage and very instinctive. With the loosening rules on the weed in the NFL, hopefully he doesn't continue to get suspended. That's why we let him go. He can't let go of the joint.

Good to hear, because our secondary has been bad, due to poor safety play. Jimmy Smith has been one of the best corners in the league, Webb is coming back from injury now and should be better this week, but Elam and Stewart have not impressed. I'm pleasantly surprised by our D, overall (particularly with Moseley and McPhee), so this could be great.

Tamanon

Banned
Man college career fairs have changed. Got all pimped out, and every single employer just said to apply online. Should've saved my effort!

TheFatOne

Every time the Pats play the Jets there's always some bullshit article comes out. Normally it's spygate stuff which I have heard before, but this bullshit about Revis catching a td is just that bullshit. That's not how Belichick operates.
Ridley and Mayo officially on IR, RB Jonas Gray and OL Chris Barker promoted to the roster

No surprises here. Mayo just had surgery, and I heard he's expecting to be back in 6 months.

Colasante

Every time the Pats play the Jets there's always some bullshit article comes out. Normally it's spygate stuff which I have heard before, but this bullshit about Revis catching a td is just that bullshit. That's not how Belichick operates.

I don't think anyone has outright stated they're going to throw a touchdown to Revis, I think that's just been speculated. Jason Cole reported that when Revis initially spoke to Belichick and Kraft about signing with the Patriots, he wanted some kind of surprise for his first game against the Jets. It could be as simple as being an honorary captain against them.

Fox318

Can I get some context for this quote fox.

Given the way the Patterson situation played out, Idzik was asked if he regretted not signing a "legitimate" cornerback in the offseason, when more high-profile players such as Vontae Davis, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and even Darrelle Revis were available.

"I would call Dimitri Patterson a legitimate cornerback," Idzik said. "I mean, that's why we signed him. We liked the player. We interviewed the player. We don't look back. There's no regret. Again, we're in a people business and you really can't anticipate some things that may happen."
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/idzik-cutting-patterson-was-best-thing-jets

Press asked him if he regretting not signing any CBs and riding out a linebacker converted to safety converted to cornerback as his number 1 cb.

Top Bottom