• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 7 |OT| Newton's Laws of Football

Trey

So, is Bill Simmons just not going to cover the NFL anymore? I expected him to takeover the weekly picks column again, but Bill Barnwell has his column up. Wouldn't surprise me if he just turned his back on the league.

Good. Barnwell has a greater grasp of the game than Simmons. Simmons is more of a personality guy at this point. Lowe is a more interesting basketball read.

2013-10-2713_12_10.gif

Pryor just did that :*)

DRC practiced today. He's questionable against Dallas. I'm betting he gets limited reps and we trot out Bowman on the outside and Hosely in the slot (good game, Dallas).

In other news, I finished Alien Isolation last night. There's a great game buried underneath 4-5 hours of padding and some design decisions that exists simply to frustrate the hell of the person playing the game. If you're a fan of the franchise, this is worlds better than the shit heap that was Colonial Marines but if you can't deal with trial and error stealth games - stay far far away.

Onto The Evil Within.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Jets had one key to beating the Pats down last night, run the ball down their throat. Unfortunately they forgot the other part, getting pressure on Brady with only four pass rushers. Not everyone can be Miami, I guess.

Brady was pressured as fuck last night. Devey and Cannon were hot garbage, so many thrown away balls right after the snap. Seems Tom has adjusted to rolling out a bit more, which has been helping a lot with the deeper stuff.

I think rex's salt levels are at critical mass though "best route ever" by Amendola himself LOL.

bionic77

You are cool.

Awakening is baby's first FE. Fire Emblem is my favorite video game series.
That's harsh.

I absolutely loved awakening. Loved the time travel and parents and kids aspect.

The worst FE game I played was the DS remake of the original. Felt too old.

GBA games might still be my favorite. I couldn't believe how great those games were when I first played them. I only played them because a college friend mentioned the series as something he liked in Hong Kong. Knew nothing about the games and was totally blown away.

Brady was pressured as fuck last night. Devey and Cannon were hot garbage, so many thrown away balls right after the snap. Seems Tom has adjusted to rolling out a bit more, which has been helping a lot with the deeper stuff.

I think rex's salt levels are at critical mass though "best route ever" by Amendola himself LOL.
If that was "pressured as fuck" what would you call the Miami game?

Brady had tons of clean pockets last night. Jets didn't disrupt him nearly enough.

Farooq

Banned
Korey Toomer (LB) was waived by the Cowboys to make way for Lavar Edwards (DE). Lavar Edwards was released earlier because the Cowboys needed another tackle (they signed Tony Hills).

From reports I am hearing there is a disconnect between the coaches and scouting about Korey Toomer. Coaches feel he is not ready. The scouts are still optimistic and want to try and stash him on PS.

I thought the issues between scouting and the coaching staff would have been remedied by the promotion of Will McClay. Remembering back to the 2013 draft when the scouts wanted Sharrif Floyd and the coaches didn't think he was a good scheme fit. The rift between the coaches and scouts led to the demotion of Tom Ciskowski and an overhaul of the communication issues between the scouts and coaches spearheaded by Will McClay.

Man...I wanted to see Toomer play meaningful snaps, I really thought he would get the opportunity. I was wrong.

Edit: Trying to dig for more reasons why Toomer may have gotten waived.

Punt2.gif

Toomer (56) got beat bad on the punt block. Forced Heath (38) to take the inside guy (Michael Morgan-57). Can't fault Heath, you go inside - out (the guy with the shortest path to the ball), it was just that there were two players were arriving at the same time. There may have been some miss-communication between Toomer and Cameron Lawrence (53), with Lawrence sliding right to deal with a stunt. I don't know the whole thing was a mess. I wonder if Harris properly alerted when Baldwin runs to the edge.

DRC practiced today. He's questionable against Dallas. I'm betting he gets limited reps and we trot out Bowman on the outside and Hosely in the slot (good game, Dallas).

In other news, I finished Alien Isolation last night. There's a great game buried underneath 4-5 hours of padding and some design decisions that exists simply to frustrate the hell of the person playing the game. If you're a fan of the franchise, this is worlds better than the shit heap that was Colonial Marines but if you can't deal with trial and error stealth games - stay far far away.

Onto The Evil Within.
I always like when you post your impressions, thanks for doing it. I think I might pick this one up sometime but I didn't want to bite at full price.

Spinluck

Onto The Evil Within.

Silent Hills gonna save us all.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
If that was "pressured as fuck" what would you call the Miami game?

Brady had tons of clean pockets last night. Jets didn't disrupt him nearly enough.

i mean it's no secret the pats line is patch work right now. Solder has been benched several times, cannon is playing all over the line, Stork and Connelly are both out, one of those 2 is a rookie, we've had 2 rookies starting for the chiefs game, etc etc. That being said there were just several broken Plays right from the get go where Tom simply chucked the ball away immediately. The Jets line is damn good, so I was surprised given who was actually out there, but yeah the dolphins games was a disaster... the difference was that Tom wasn't moving nearly as much then, and there weren't any plays designed to do so either.

are there lockers to hide in?

this is important

Yep. All over the place. The problem is the game WANTS you to progress. Staying in the same area for an extended period of time, even if you want to explore, will get you killed more often than not. So lockers and other hiding places are temporary at best. Considering the Alien is a one hit kill machine and there are very little to no checkpoints (you have to manually save at terminals), you could easily redo 20-30 minutes of gameplay at a time often. Thankfully, save terminals are fairly placed but sometimes you find yourself backtracking to save "just in case" shit happens. It's an acquired taste since modern stealth oriented games have moved past this type of old school rigidity. Keep in mind that I played through on Hard so the lower difficulties might be less stringent.

The padding is the worst offender to me.

I always like when you post your impressions, thanks for doing it.
You're welcome!

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I borrowed madden for a while, every year I have to convince myself not to buy it. It's the same exact game since 03, the LB are still supermen, and formations mean very little in competitive matches online.

eznark

Banned
Yeah, you must be playing at the trashiest of trash tiers if formations don't matter.

Of course, saying the game hasn't changed since 2003 kind of shows your lack of experience with the game.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Yeah, you must be playing at the trashiest of trash tiers if formations don't matter.

Of course, saying the game hasn't changed since 2003 kind of shows your lack of experience with the game.

I can take a picture of my collection, which admittedly gets spotty around 09. I just feel like a lot of the issues that were there back then still exist today.

edit- NFL2k on DC is the GOAT anyways ;)

eznark

Banned
I can take a picture of my collection, which admittedly gets spotty around 09. I just feel like a lot of the issues that were there back then still exist today.

edit- NFL2k on DC is the GOAT anyways ;)

There are new issues to be sure, but Madden 25 (on next gen) and this year are the best the game has ever been.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
There are new issues to be sure, but Madden 25 (on next gen) and this year are the best the game has ever been.

I thought the biggest step forward the game took was 13 with the new physics. It helped things make a little more fluid and natural, things played out a little different every time (also makes for some hilarious glitches), I just feel like it's been stagnant though. It was one reason I was so dissapointed with NBA2k14. It looks amazing, but it all still feels clunky.

Top Bottom