• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 8 |OT| I Used To Like Football

cajunator

Banned
When your team has down seasons it keeps you grounded. It hurts temporarily but Ill explain a bit what Im saying.
when I first followed the Saints they were rather shit. At least they started getting to the playoffs occasionally so I didnt endure the 30 years of ineptitude but I watched the Aaron Brooks era Saints and that was some frustrating shit. Then the hurricane hit there was all kinds of uncertainty and it wasnt even for sure the team would stay in NOLA. the locker room culture was abysmal. Then from those lows the Saints gambled hard on a enthusiastic but eccentric coach and a qb with a completely busted arm. Payton cleaned house down to the foundation and rebuilt everything. From there I was able to witness the ups and downs but ultimately culminating in a super bowl. From a team that was a guaranteed "W" on the schedule to a contender. But in between there was still the matter of bad defense and team turbulence which has kept expectations on a realistic keel. The Saints, from a fan perspective, are incredibly fun to follow for their unpredictability. The pats just about always win. Where is the fun in that? Theres no mood whiplash to make the highs higher if its consistently high.

cajunator

Banned
Didn't work for Kas lol

Also by this Logic Raiders are super grounded lmao

There are a few fanbases I respect very highly including raiders, jets, bills, browns,and lions for sticking with those teams despite the frustrations. Jets are probably the ultimate though. They have endured some of the lowest of the low and it continues right up till yesterday.

I have a really good fantasy team, considering trading Demarco Murray while he's still healthy. Is that smart? I would feel like a dumbass if he stays healthy but my team is good enough that I should be fine with a slightly worse RB.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
When your team has down seasons it keeps you grounded. It hurts temporarily but Ill explain a bit what Im saying.
when I first followed the Saints they were rather shit. At least they started getting to the playoffs occasionally so I didnt endure the 30 years of ineptitude but I watched the Aaron Brooks era Saints and that was some frustrating shit. Then the hurricane hit there was all kinds of uncertainty and it wasnt even for sure the team would stay in NOLA. the locker room culture was abysmal. Then from those lows the Saints gambled hard on a enthusiastic but eccentric coach and a qb with a completely busted arm. Payton cleaned house down to the foundation and rebuilt everything. From there I was able to witness the ups and downs but ultimately culminating in a super bowl. From a team that was a guaranteed "W" on the schedule to a contender. But in between there was still the matter of bad defense and team turbulence which has kept expectations on a realistic keel. The Saints, from a fan perspective, are incredibly fun to follow for their unpredictability. The pats just about always win. Where is the fun in that? Theres no mood whiplash to make the highs higher if its consistently high.

As a die-hard WSU fan and alum I can relate to this.

bionic77

I was right on the money in this game.

But the Redskins need to do something or else eventually the Cowboys will hold on and start trampling over them in the 2nd.

Bread

Banned
Ive experienced watching teams that aren't guaranteed to make the playoffs too, and I can tell you first hand that being consistently good doesn't make winning feel any less great.

Tom Penny

I have a really good fantasy team, considering trading Demarco Murray while he's still healthy. Is that smart? I would feel like a dumbass if he stays healthy but my team is good enough that I should be fine with a slightly worse RB.

Always trade good players when you don't have to.

Godslay

Banned
There are a few fanbases I respect very highly including raiders, jets, bills, browns,and lions for sticking with those teams despite the frustrations. Jets are probably the ultimate though. They have endured some of the lowest of the low and it continues right up till yesterday.

There is respecting teams that have had bad breaks over the years, and then there is celebrating incompetence.

I'm not going to bullshit you, but most of those teams can't get out of their own way and languishing in losses is more of a result of bad management then being unlucky. Denver went through periods of that as well, but it always starts at the top. You just see the results on the field.

effzee

Dallas is about to blow them the fuck out.

They gave the Washingtons some chances but McCoy couldn't capitalize.

Desean pass was a TD if thrown ahead

Is Arizona legit?

I know we only have one or two fans here so it probably doesn't get discussed very much. Their defense always seems to be pretty good (against the run anyway).

I'm really curious to see what happens with the Cowboys.

Yeah we're legit but have plenty to clean up like virtually every other team in the league. We're not even remotely scratching our potential on offense and it will get far better once some of the young guys like John Brown get further acclimated and the coaches finally put Cooper in instead of scrub Larsen or Fanaika. Our guards are killing us and really holding Elly back with shit blocking. Tackles have been solid over all though. Keim and Arians have said Cooper has been looking better and better and more like the guy they saw when they drafted him 7th over all so he should get the start within the next couple games but wish it was now... Palmer is close to 100 percent so his play should get better as well.

Speaking of which, it's very ignorant talk all around the net that Palmer is bad but I understand it because not enough watch us to see what's been going on. Palmer had shit protection and weapons in Oakland and then the first year with us, he force fed the ball to Fitz all year which let to picks but guess what? He led us to 10 wins in the toughest division in football for 2013. Now let's fast forward to this year where Arians has flat out said he wants Palmer spreading the ball around to limit interceptions which is why Fitz is getting so little action compared to the past. Guess what? It's working. He's thrown a single pick while he has 6 TDs so far in 4 games played. The pick was tipped by our own teammate too (though it was a bad throw). I am not a Palmer homer, I think he's simply mediocre to solid on most decent teams but he fits really well in Arians' system and with real weapons he's having his best years with us and has more potential to play at a higher level here than probably anywhere else. Here, he's "good" and good is enough to win it all when you have a great defense.

As for defense, we are tops at stuffing the run which is why we rank so low against the pass. NO ONE has been able to run all over us and that has forced teams to throw like crazy so of course there's bound to be plenty of yards thrown against us. We still have one of the better secondaries in the league talent-wise and it's getting better as Honey Badger gets close to his former play and young players like Jefferson step up their game. Rookies Bucannon and Stinson are getting better by the week and have been real contributors. Campbell and Honey Badger are in braces and will only get more explosive as time goes by. BTW, the only teams that have scored a single point against us in the fourth quarter are the Broncos and the Eagles got a 51 yard field goal. This mind you is with the Eagles constantly having amazing field position (40-50 yard line to start) due to how bad our O was playing and having to punt from so far back. That our D held one of the more prolific offenses in the league to 3 points at the end (and without Peterson who went out in the second quarter) says something about how good we are on that side of the ball and we stopped 3 red zones passes from the 16 to end the game. Throw all the yards you want against us, as long as you aren't getting points.

So yes, we're a play off team and whether we win the division or not will come down to cleaning up on the penalties and continuing to progress on offense.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
As long as the Cowboys hold onto the football they should absolutely destroy Washington. They are moving the ball at will.

Dez with them man moves.. Damn.

Top Bottom