• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 8 |OT| I Used To Like Football

No lies detected though. Impressive.

The Bears should probably be the best team in the NFC North, given the injuries the Packers and Lions have had. I don't get it.

I'd still take Cutler over Stafford

I can't get behind this statement cause Cutler just simply falls apart way more than Stafford does and he's older.

That doesn't make much sense though. Civil War makes more sense as a lead in to Thanos - not the aftermath.

I still hold out hope for Planet Hulk. I needs it.:)

If they are going to do something Hulk focused I would love to see them do the Crossroads story. Then we get to see the Hulk kill all the U-Foes in amazing ways.

MRSA

Banned
But wouldn't you agree that the Jets in recent history have been more successful than the Bucs or Raiders?

Instead every media article is "lol Jets" or "Should Jets sign Tebow, Jamarcus, and JFF to the team?" or "Josh Freeman seen at Taco Bell in New Jersey. Could the Jets sign him?"

lol Jets is right because they won't admit that they're on the brink of a complete tear down like how the Steelers are in denial.

lol Jets is right because they won't admit that they're on the brink of a complete tear down like how the Steelers are in denial.

How isnt admitting it? In the offseason the HC is gone for sure, and there is a lot of talk about Geno being gone as well. Idzik will start over with his guys and they will have to rebuild most of the team. The plan was to do this last year but Rex somehow went 8-8 and Woody decided to give him another year.

eznark

Banned
How does it compare to 2, I completely forgot about the game after the initial announcement.

It's hard to say because it's a real beta. They are adding in factions, features, taking shit out, etc. It's good though, I can say that much, Hopefully it all comes together. I haven't honestly put a shit ton of time into it yet.

Looks like someone invoked the oline from the past to try and discredit Emmitt sad, sad people in here.

That was the best OL in NFL history, so I can see how it maybe takes away some from him, but his main thing was his toughness. Running against the Giants with a separated shoulder, and just generally not missing games.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
B0pAFg7IAAE-4t5.jpg

rando14

DAVIS HSU ‏@DavisHsuSeattle
538, link on TL, says Seattle-Carolina outcome has more playoff implications than any other game- 71% combined swing impacting 14 teams
DAVIS HSU ‏@DavisHsuSeattle
Panthers game has 20% impact on Seattle's playoff chances, if I am reading their chart correctly...

So scressed!!

Fantomex

I just wanted to make sure Dutch is ok. Post if your ok Dutch! I saw there's a user in gaming named The Dutch Slayer and got really scared all of a sudden.

I'm hyped for today's game for once!

Bowser

So scressed!!

Playoff spots are a finite resource in NFL. Like squeezing a balloon, if one team’s playoff chances decline, other teams’ chances expand.

Take, for example, Sunday’s game between the New Orleans Saints and the Detroit Lions. In last week’s column, we highlighted this as the most consequential game — 12 of the 16 NFC teams had a rooting interest in what took place at Ford Field that afternoon. And, with the exception of the Saints’ NFC South rivals, they all wanted the Lions to lose. To understand why is to understand the interconnected nature of NFL playoff probabilities. Going into Week 7, the Lions were 4-2 and an above-average team. But they also have a superior division rival in the Green Bay Packers. With Green Bay crowding out the Lions’ division title hopes, the Lions’ playoff hopes lay in a wild card spot, which, in turn, crowds out its other NFC rivals.

A Lions loss would have opened the door for the rest of the NFC in the wild card competition.

The Saints, on the other hand, play in the NFC South, where mediocrity reigns. Someone has to come out on top of that mess and make the playoffs, but it is unlikely that a wild card team will as well. As a result, the rest of the NFC becomes largely indifferent to the goings on in the NFC South. To torture our balloon analogy: The NFC South is its own self-contained balloon, with playoff probabilities traded only among those four teams.

Last week’s top game featured 12 teams with a statistically valid interest in the result. This week’s top game, the Seattle Seahawks visiting the Carolina Panthers, features 14 interested teams. None of the NFC South teams won last Sunday, making it even less likely that a wild card team will emerge from that division. So, with the exception of the Saints, Atlanta Falcons and Tampa Bay Buccaneers, the other 11 NFC teams should be hoping for a Seahawks loss on Sunday.

The Panthers’ tie game against the Cincinnati Bengals in Week 6 has interesting implications. It magnifies the impact of each game by making projections of playoff seeding more certain. With only 16 regular-season games, teams competing for playoff berths often finish with identical records, requiring the use of tiebreakers (e.g. head-to-head record, division record, conference record, “strength of victory,” etc.). Those tiebreakers add a layer of uncertainty in our simulations. But now that the Panthers have a tie in their record, tiebreakers become largely moot. Barring another tie game, Carolina is in a game of leapfrog with its competitors in the NFC South — half a game out of sync with everyone else.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features...ions-if-the-seahawks-lose-the-nfc-gains/#ss-2

If you guys decide you don't want to see a good football game and would rather have the nice nostalgic feeling of typical garbage TNF you can tune in to VT vs. Miami tonight!

Zeke

That was the best OL in NFL history, so I can see how it maybe takes away some from him, but his main thing was his toughness. Running against the Giants with a separated shoulder, and just generally not missing games.
Amazing to call them the best in the history of game when you really look at the players. All of them were cast offs. Newton overweight fatass, Mark Tuinei hot headed with off the field issues, Mark Stepnoski undersized, Kevin Gogan hot headed fighter, Erik Williams. None of those guys were highly thought of and they got troy murdered his rookie season. Smith didn't have that line his entire career Nate and Williams are two that stayed the longest FA killed them. Even with a sub par line later in career his was putting up big games. His last season in Dallas he put up 975yds. The only time he put up less than that was his rookie year he put up 937. Even with cards he put up 937 in his final year. If Sanders had the line Smith did you guys would beat off so hard about him being the goat. It would be the same accusations Smith gets product of his line.

Amazing to call them the best in the history of game when you really look at the players. All of them were cast offs. Newton overweight fatass, Mark Tuinei hot headed with off the field issues, Mark Stepnoski undersized, Kevin Gogan hot headed fighter, Erik Williams. None of those guys were highly thought of and they got troy murdered his rookie season. Smith didn't have that line his entire career Nate and Williams are two that stayed the longest FA killed them. Even with a sub par line later in career his was putting up big games. His last season in Dallas he put up 975yds. The only time he put up less than that was his rookie year he put up 937. Even with cards he put up 937 in his final year. If Sanders had the line Smith did you guys would beat off so hard about him being the goat. It would be the same accusations Smith gets product of his line.

That is definitely true. There is a perception that since Barry was so great at making guys miss and turning nothing into something that he is a better RB.

bionic77

Except we watched the games and watched running lanes big enough for Freeman to run through and watched as the Cowboys could close out a game with like 15 consecutive running plays.

We have not seen dominance like that before.

If want to make the argument for Emmitt then use the one used by his teammates. That he always picked the right lane to run through.

Also what happened to Chris?

Spinluck

How is Steelers-GAF feeling about the Colts game and going up against Luck? I feel kind we should win and will win, but I wouldn't be surprised if we had a shit game to end what is the longest winning streak in the Luck era!

Prediction: Our defense outperforms our offense again (they've done this in every AFC North match up so far!).

bionic77

How is Steelers-GAF feeling about the Colts game and going up against Luck? I feel kind we should win and will win, but I wouldn't be surprised if we had a shit game to end what is the longest winning streak in the Luck era!

Prediction: Our defense outperforms our offense again (they've done this in every AFC North match up so far!).
Our defense is trash.

If you can't exploit that with Luck then your coaching is trash.

Should be a blowout. Luck is going to beast. And I am talking about his dominance and not how he looks...

Zeke

Except we watched the games and watched running lanes big enough for Freeman to run through and watched as the Cowboys could close out a game with like 15 consecutive running plays.

We have not seen dominance like that before.

If want to make the argument for Emmitt then use the one used by his teammates. That he always picked the right lane to run through.

Also what happened to Chris?
They were a beastly line no doubt. Smith was a smart rb but he made plenty of plays on his own. You can find clips of him breaking defenders ankles, lowering his shoulders or him being surrounded by defenders and spining out and picking up yards. Yes his line was a huge on his success but to attribute it solely to his line is disingenuous. Lions had plenty of shots in 90's to win and choked without fail. They made the playoffs from 93-95 and 97 and 99.

Tom Penny

Steelers D not only lacks talent their scheme is outdated at this point and strikes fear in no one. Luck should shred them to be honest.

Vio-Lence

Banned
No lies detected though. Impressive.

The Bears should probably be the best team in the NFC North, given the injuries the Packers and Lions have had. I don't get it.

I'd still take Cutler over Stafford
Bears had a ton of injuries this year. Bears were missing 40% of their offensive line, Marshall and Jeffery were banged up, Tillman out for the year, entire starting line backers missed time, rotating door at safety due to paper machet Conte, and Jarred Allen missing time.

Your post sounds misinformed. Bears probably had more injuries than either team.

I'll trade you Cutler for Fattford straight up.

effzee

In Turks and Caicos and watching some ESPN before the pool and I see an ad for SNF Packers @ Saints game. Only it says watch it on espn2. What the? Some weird broadcast rights ESPN gets overseas/Caribbean?

Top Bottom