• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 8 |OT| I Used To Like Football

Dragon

Banned
I am interviewing next week most likely and already freaking out a little bit. Tech interviews suck though. It's more like an exam than a damn interview.

The best tech interview I ever went on was when the dude sat me in front of a computer and said you don't know Ruby right? Okay, here is two hours. Write me some code that does X. It's stressful but I think it's the best way to know if someone is capable. People can memorize stupid Big O Notation stupidity (and by the way I really hate people that ask these questions!).

Crisco

Banned
I'm an NC State fan, so I would probably watch a video of Chapel Hill burning with child like glee, but the stuff in this report is so wildly blatant and over the top, I can't even believe they did it. Like, how could they think this was ok? Academic staff were giving power point presentations to football coaches about how important fake classes were. What the fuck bro.

They wrote emails like this,

B0kfcRcCAAAHAlU.png:large

It's like they didn't even bother to hide it because they didn't think it was even a secret.

eznark

Banned
I always ask at least one question that, given their background, they probably have no idea of the answer. I just want to see if they are willing to say "I don't know." If they bullshit me the interview is effectively over.

Greg

I always ask at least one question that, given their background, they probably have no idea of the answer. I just want to see if they are willing to say "I don't know." If they bullshit me the interview is effectively over.
"You have 3000 gold. What are the first items you buy at the secret shop?"

trick question - buy more wards, biiiiiitch

Tamanon

Banned

I had an interview for a networking engineer internship at Cisco. Thought I had bombed it a few weeks ago, but I admitted I didn't know the answer to a few of their questions. Still made it through after all. Was a bit shocked.

Dragon

Banned

I got asked during an interview: "How many baseball gloves are there on the island of Manhattan?" In my head I was like oh fuck off. Stupid questions that they just want to see how you break down problems.

Crisco

Banned
It's nice to be at the point of my career where proving competency no longer matters, resume is enough. This must be what Lovie Smith feels like.

Going to miss the Thursday game tonight. My Pirates are playing UConn tonight! GO ECU!

I'm going to miss it because AMC Fearfest is on

Same applies to Sunday's games probably because all-day Tremors marathon looks much better than games starting with 9:30 AM Lions/Falcons

How is Steelers-GAF feeling about the Colts game and going up against Luck? I feel kind we should win and will win, but I wouldn't be surprised if we had a shit game to end what is the longest winning streak in the Luck era!

Prediction: Our defense outperforms our offense again (they've done this in every AFC North match up so far!).
I feel good. Steelers D are excellent against Ben style quarterbacks of which Luck is one. I don't think it will be a blowout. Plus they will get Shazier back Sunday. I like Spence but he gets stuck on blocks too easily.

It's the offense i'm not confident about. Last week's win was typical - offense only showed up for 30 minutes, barely, and with massive help from the defense. Just once I would like to see Ben and the offense explode early and stay consistent all game. I think steelers win. Colts are due for a loss.

Steelers D not only lacks talent their scheme is outdated at this point and strikes fear in no one. Luck should shred them to be honest.

This is the stupidest notion i've ever heard and it's rife throughout the league.

Good help is so hard to find. Interviewing people for a position in my department and fuck me people generally suck at interviews.

Interviews are so easy it's amazing so many people screw them up. I mean, shy of being flatly unqualified of course.

Talon

I'm an NC State fan, so I would probably watch a video of Chapel Hill burning with child like glee, but the stuff in this report is so wildly blatant and over the top, I can't even believe they did it. Like, how could they think this was ok? Academic staff were giving power point presentations to football coaches about how important fake classes were. What the fuck bro.

They wrote emails like this,

B0kfcRcCAAAHAlU.png:large

It's like they didn't even bother to hide it because they didn't think it was even a secret.
Thought this perspective was useful
Now, if you’ll indulge, a few personal thoughts for perspective and full disclosure’s sake: I played baseball at North Carolina during the time of this academic scandal and took an AFAM course, albeit a normal one, where attendance and work were required. I was a low-rung player in a non-revenue sports program, but I hung in the same circles as a lot higher-profile UNC athletes. Never once did I hear about paper courses or this rampant academic fraud. Today, sitting here shocked at the revelations, I’m trying to figure out how that’s possible and trying to digest the “culture of cheating” that’s now being ubiquitously assigned to UNC student-athletes.

It’s difficult, but here’s how something like this can run so wild for so long: Academic fraud is the white-collar crime of college sports scandals. It happens behind closed doors, with a few power players driving the business, and people don’t talk about it. The numbers on the whole are staggering – 3,100 students, almost half of them athletes – and the tendency is to believe this was everywhere, but it wasn’t. Over 18 years and 28 varsity sports programs, it comes out to about three athletes per team per year (obviously that’s just an average, as more football and hoops players than that were involved and some programs probably had none). Academic counselors don’t, in my experience, talk about other students’ course schedules, and getting free grades isn’t something players brag about. If they discuss it at all, it’s in tight, private circles. Nobody is flaunting a free B+ through the locker room, and nobody would think to ask about it. If a teammate is on the team, he must be eligible, and that’s where that ends for players.

The non-academic NCAA rule violations that get the bulk of attention in college sports are much easier to detect and expose, because they’re so visible. You know where you can get cheaper, if not free, food. You know which bar owners will pick up tabs because athletes bring crowds and are good for business. If you’re a pro prospect in a sport with a booming professional league, I assume you know where to get in contact with an “adviser.” You know which boosters hang around the program more closely than others and offer things. All of this is in the open and stuff college-aged kids are likely to brag to their friends about. Academic cheating doesn’t work like that.

North Carolina’s integrity is and will be crushed for the foreseeable future, and deservedly so, but I will defend the culture at large because what’s lost in instances like these is that the vast majority of student-athletes DO go to class and do their work and earn their degrees. There is not a ubiquitous culture of cheating at UNC – something can’t be contained to the underground and simultaneously reflect the culture of an entire university -- but rather a toxic sub-culture that’s now being painfully dug out.

I don’t want North Carolina to be let off the hook here. The penalty will be incredibly harsh, I’m sure, and we have to own it. What took place is indefensible, and I don’t really have an appetite today for anything suggesting otherwise. Like probably all alumni and former UNC athletes, I feel much shame in my alma mater today. Speaking only for myself, though, I’m not ashamed to hold a degree from the university or be associated with the athletic department, because in totality this scandal is not reflective of UNC student-athletes at large. It’s an ugly, ugly point in our history that will forever be represented, but anyone who cares about the school today won’t be running from it or touting the “everyone does it” excuse, whether that’s true or not. The vast majority of students and leaders in Chapel Hill want this handled appropriately, and it will be.
Link

eznark

Banned
I got asked during an interview: "How many baseball gloves are there on the island of Manhattan?" In my head I was like oh fuck off. Stupid questions that they just want to see how you break down problems.

No, not questions like that. Questions specific to the industry but outside their area of expertise. Not dickhead soft questions like "what would you do with a brick" but hard questions with answers that you wouldn't really know til you've done the work.

eznark

Banned
I had an interview for a networking engineer internship at Cisco. Thought I had bombed it a few weeks ago, but I admitted I didn't know the answer to a few of their questions. Still made it through after all. Was a bit shocked.

All information is essentially knowable with a few mouse clicks. I don't care if you know information. I want to know if you are honest and can admit when you are out of your depth.

If you can't admit that you are probably a huge liability waiting to happen.

The best tech interview I ever went on was when the dude sat me in front of a computer and said you don't know Ruby right? Okay, here is two hours. Write me some code that does X. It's stressful but I think it's the best way to know if someone is capable. People can memorize stupid Big O Notation stupidity (and by the way I really hate people that ask these questions!).

Yeah I just get a bit annoyed in those situations. When I am assigned a problem at work and given a few hours to do it I spend the first half hour looking at APIs, doing research, glancing at other implementations, etc. You just plain and simply write better code that way. That's completely off the table in an interview. You look at an API and see the one method call you can use that eliminates 25% of the work you thought you had to do. Or you don't look at the API and end up duplicating code or writing something shoddy. It really depends on the interviewer though. I've got 7 years of in depth experience in a full technology stack and you're going to ask me to recursively implement a Fibonacci sequence?

Crisco

Banned
Thought this perspective was useful

Link

The whole idea of it being a "sub-culture" doesn't really jive with the information in the report though, and the emails.

That was sent to the entire department, basically an admission that she'd been creating fake classes to maintain an appearance of compliance. That's not a "toxic sub-culture", it's just the culture.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
:( I've never felt so alone!

sup snes

Interviews are so easy it's amazing so many people screw them up. I mean, shy of being flatly unqualified of course.

Well I think the lack of feedback during the hiring process is partially to blame here. You never really know why you didn't get a job. You may be a natural interviewer but they decided to go with an internal candidate or someone more experienced or whatever so you change your interview style to something worse. Also I think loads of failed attempts at getting a job can shatter people's confidence levels which may come out during the process.

Now showing up for an interview underdressed or wearing just plain gaudy attire? That's just pure idiocy.

Others probably lack basic social skills and don't know basic, basic interview tips. I ask lots of questions about the job during interviews and this usually goes appreciated (without getting technical because everyone does accounting or auditing a little differently).

I dunno, I haven't witnessed a truly awful interview before so who knows?

No, not questions like that. Questions specific to the industry but outside their area of expertise. Not dickhead soft questions like "what would you do with a brick" but hard questions with answers that you wouldn't really know til you've done the work.

How do you get to that though? Do you just interview with general questions then hit them with a bomb? Or throw it into a mess of position specific stuff?

I've had employers rapid fire ask me highly job specific questions before, but it was all based on my experience. Getting a question like that out of the blue screams trap.

Well I think the lack of feedback during the hiring process is partially to blame here. You never really know why you didn't get a job. You may be a natural interviewer but they decided to go with an internal candidate

The bane of my young life. The trap interview. No way you're going to get the job because they only put the posting up for legal reasons.

eznark

Banned
How do you get to that though? Do you just interview with general questions then hit them with a bomb? Or throw it into a mess of position specific stuff?

I've had employers rapid fire ask me highly job specific questions before, but it was all based on my experience. Getting a question like that out of the blue screams trap.

My interviews are just conversations. At some point people will wander into something they probably aren't super familiar with. I'm a fucking genius so I know everything about everything. It's never been a problem. I also like to do interviews over lunch or breakfast instead of in the office.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
My interviews are just conversations. At some point people will wander into something they probably aren't super familiar with. I'm a fucking genius so I know everything about everything. It's never been a problem. I also like to do interviews over lunch or breakfast instead of in the office.

You totally judge them on what they order too don't you?

I imagine there are no vegans working for you!

Tom Penny

The question I always have the most trouble with is the " If you have a conflict with a co worker's work ethic or attitude do you talk to them about it or go to upper management " I don't know if they want a snitch or someone that wants to resolve it using communication skills.

The question I always have the most trouble with is the " If you have a conflict with a co worker's work ethic or attitude do you talk to them about it or go to upper management " I don't know if they want a snitch or someone that wants to resolve it using communication skills.

The answer to this question is to have a personal conversation with the coworker about it, informing them if they don't shape up you'll have no choice but to report them.

Basically a timed rat.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
The answer to this question is to have a personal conversation with the coworker about it, informing them if they don't shape up you'll have no choice but to report them.

Basically a timed rat.

It's a bigger landmine for accounting interviews or anything that might be somewhat related to loss prevention.

Basically you better be prepared to snitch on your own mother for stealing a candy bar.

Top Bottom