• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 8 |OT| I Used To Like Football

Do you ask irrelevant questions like favorite color and what animal you would be?
No.

Why should I hire you?

What contributions do you think you can make in this position given what I've told you about the job?

*insert example of a technical problem here* How would you handle that?

An interview should be nothing more than a conversation between two people about a job. Nervousness can sometimes take over and I try to help alleviate that by keeping things light but man its amazing how bad some people are during the process.

I always ask at least one question that, given their background, they probably have no idea of the answer. I just want to see if they are willing to say "I don't know." If they bullshit me the interview is effectively over.
I always like to ask what they think their biggest weakness is both at work and even in their normal lives as a general rule of thumb. If the answer is "I have none" (and I've gotten that answer before several times), that resume pretty much goes in the garbage.

Interviews are so easy it's amazing so many people screw them up. I mean, shy of being flatly unqualified of course.
I had two extremes today. Someone that went on endlessly telling me about problems with their boyfriend and how it led to them leaving their last job and guy giving me two word answers to the questions I was asking.

MechDX

.@sonofbum on @Midday180: It was about 50-50 in draft room between Watt and a different defensive lineman, who's not done as well. #Texans

Fairley?

Bowser

.@sonofbum on @Midday180: It was about 50-50 in draft room between Watt and a different defensive lineman, who's not done as well. #Texans

Fairley?

Fairley hasn't done as well as Watt but he's not a total bust either. I'm thinking it might be Corey Liuget or Adrian Clayborn

I had two extremes today. Someone that went on endlessly telling me about problems with their boyfriend and how it led to them leaving their last job and guy giving me two word answers to the questions I was asking.

That first one sounds like a huge greasefire. This was my first date red flag too. I hear about ex one time - see ya.

That first one sounds like a huge greasefire. This was my first date red flag too. I hear about ex one time - see ya.
Her resume is in the garbage can next to me;)

Now showing up for an interview underdressed or wearing just plain gaudy attire? That's just pure idiocy.
No bullshit, I had an IT professional show up for an second interview for a technical tier II position in my department in sweat pants. That interview didn't last long.;)

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

Holy shit.

These would be things you never, ever mention in an interview.

"I left to seek better opportunities and challenges elsewhere" Boom. I'd rather leave the question hanging in the air about why you didn't get a new job before you quit rather than basically tell your potential future boss that you're a drama queen who is going to drag their shit into your office.

Two word answers are only marginally better haha.

Her resume is in the garbage can next to me;)

No bullshit, I had an IT professional show up for an second interview for a technical tier II position in my department in sweat pants. That interview didn't last long.;)
I am trying to find a new job so I will probably be going to some interviews at some point in the near future. I hope my competition is of this caliber. ;)

what if they were Zubaz?
I wouldn't even let them in the building.

Also, it's amazing how gun shy people are about stating their salary requirements. They don't put them in the resume and then when you ask you get the "Yeah...um...err...I was thinking like....errr...ummm"

What are you 5 years old?

Colasante

Patriots still haven't officially signed Alan Branch, but he was seen in the locker room today. Hopefully he can get up to speed with the defense quickly, and hopefully he's able to help them stop the run when he's on the field.

A few years back My then boss hired a clerk to work with our department. She had a great first week, then missed the next 3 because her dog was shitting all over the place and she had to stay home to clean it up.

RELAYER

Banned
Futurevoid said:
I always like to ask what they think their biggest weakness is both at work and even in their normal lives as a general rule of thumb. If the answer is "I have none" (and I've gotten that answer before several times), that resume pretty much goes in the garbage.

What if their answer is something like "soul-crushing anxiety and depression"

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I wouldn't even let them in the building.

Also, it's amazing how gun shy people are about stating their salary requirements. They don't put them in the resume and then when you ask you get the "Yeah...um...err...I was thinking like....errr...ummm"

What are you 5 years old?

People are obviously afraid that if they ask for too much that they won't get a job offer.

Which is probably yet another reason why people who already have jobs are more likely to get one because they'll be more confident and direct in interviews. I know exactly what I would ask for in a new position if asked based on what I'm making now!

my biggest weakness is that I care too much

My favorite response is "Sometimes I'm a little too detail oriented and I need to know when to move on". Which is the opposite of my actual problem of being too quick and can make careless mistakes. For some reason "too detail oriented and slow" is a plus more than "fast worker but makes mistakes".

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Admit it, this was you Dutch!

srO11QN.gif

rando14

Yup it's an incredible place, I could be there in January if everything goes right. If not I'm in gataland until I get the job.

Good luck man, living in San Diego would be preeeeetttty cherry!! Tons of super smoking hot babes AND... Fish tacos!!

Bread

Banned
Good luck man, living in San Diego would be preeeeetttty cherry!! Tons of super smoking hot babes AND... Fish tacos!!
Thanks brah! When I was out there last year I was killing it, so if I get the money I expect then I'm going to have a fucking badass life!

My favorite response is "Sometimes I'm a little too detail oriented and I need to know when to move on". Which is the opposite of my actual problem of being too quick and can make careless mistakes. For some reason "too detail oriented and slow" is a plus more than "fast worker but makes mistakes".
I'm honest when I interview. When I got this job I was asked that same question and I told them flat out that I'm at times too opinionated and give my input on things that I feel directly affect the job that I'm doing even if it may not at times be my place to do so as a manager.

I'm honest when I interview. When I got this job I was asked that same question and I told them flat out that I'm at times too opinionated and give my input on things that I feel directly affect the job that I'm doing even if it may not at times be my place to do so as a manager.

Yep, honestly is the best policy, I tell them I get a little dialed in to whatever i'm doing, sometimes to the detriment of other work.

Tom Penny

Patriots still haven't officially signed Alan Branch, but he was seen in the locker room today. Hopefully he can get up to speed with the defense quickly, and hopefully he's able to help them stop the run when he's on the field.

Meh. Better off hoping Salinga or whatever can can contribute if he can get off designated IR.

Fox318

Rex Ryan pretends to be a reporter, asks Bills' Sammy Watkins not to play against Jets in Week 8
Give Rex Ryan credit. Even with a 1-6 record, the Jets' head coach is still finding a way to have fun.

On Wednesday, Buffalo Bills wide receiver Sammy Watkins was doing a conference call with Jets reporters in advance of the Week 8 matchup between the two teams when, according to NJ.com, Ryan decided to jump on the call and pretend to be a reporter. Ryan asked Watkins how he helped his son, Seth Ryan, while the two were at Clemson last year.

"Sammy, I got a question," Ryan said. "How did you help Seth Ryan out? How'd he do out there? And if you could really help him, you wouldn't play this game. This sounds like Rex Ryan — I know it does — but this is a reporter."

As expected, there was an awkward pause as Watkins tried to figure out what was going on. Ryan broke the silence.

"How you doing, Sammy? You all right?" Ryan asked.

Reports laughed, but Watkins didn't seem to get the joke.

"Hey, how you doing?" he responded.

And that's the story of how Rex Ryan made Sammy Watkins' Wednesday a little more awkward than usual. Listen to the entire conference call at NJ.com.

http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2014/10/rex_ryan_sammy_watkins_conference_call.html

rando14

FF is so stupid anyway, such a huge part of it is luck. I only do it because my friends do but I get by on the bare minimum.

Dammit I thought I could win the respect of my NFL-Gaf boys by being in first but now I see that I am actually LOSING respect so what is even the point man!! :(

Hunter S.

Very nervous about tonight's game. At least the Chargers have a tendency to keep games close so they probably won't embarrass themselves.
It seems like with all your injuries, SD is putting out the D they had last year. Basically the same D that gave the Broncos so much more trouble than the rest of the NFL last year. It might be very close.
Personally, I hope Rios gets sacked left and right by Miller and Ware because Rios is always so angry when playing the Broncos.

Top Bottom