• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Week 9 |OT| NO means NO

Zeke

I am pretty sure all Steelers fans have acknowledged that he is a dirty scumbag off the field.

Not sure he is a rapist, but he might be. Definitely a scumbag and I would never let me any obese female members of my family get anywhere near him.
:jnc

squicken

Quit squickening to everything that comes out. I fully endorse your love of Luck but fuck Manziel's garbage ass.

I can't hate you, Squall. Your Cards are doing what the loser Niners couldn't and are ending the Seahawks menace. But don't get all this nonsense in your post history when Manziel will end up with 4 or 6 Lombardi Trophies

jWILL253

Banned
Jets.png

Dolphins.png

Texans.png

Broncos.png

Oh, this is pure gold...

I think the football world needs to change the way they look at QB's in the next year or so. As more and more QBs come out of college as dual threat types, the defenses will have to start accounting for that ability more and more. But when you look at who is considered the top QB's in the league, it's the same type of players: prototype passers with little ability or willingness to use their legs. Despite the success of guys like Russell Wilson, Colin Kaepernick, or even Cam Newton, the narrative continues to focus on passing ability exclusively while mentioning running ability and overall mobility in and out of the pocket as an afterthought. And I think that narrative actually affects the development of certain dual threat QB's already in the league.

I think where Newton has sort of stalled in his development is where the playcalling is almost strictly in the pocket passing. A coach like Rivera should be trying to move Cam around the backfield and let the offensive line utilize a moving pocket, while making receivers run a variety of routes to utilize any lack of proper positioning by the opposing defense. But in all three of the games I seen the Hawks play against the Panthers, it's always either strict pocket passing, or read options. I think that's detrimental to Cam's development as a QB.

But more QB's will come out of college that can not only throw with the best of them, but can also run and stay healthy while doing so. So not should the narrative change to place running on an equal pedastal to passing, but the coaches in the NFL should stop being stubborn and fully utilize them in effective ways without worrying about injuries.

And I think the media should give mobile QB's their proper due. A QB like Wilson is never considered among the top QB's in football because everybody focuses on passing yards, attempts, yardage, and passing TD's. Problem is, unless Pete Carroll makes a drastic change in his approach to playcalling, Wilson will never lead the league in most of those categories (except maybe passing TD's, as he's already on pace for having the most passing TD's by a QB in his first three years; dude doesn't throw it 40 times per game, but he's extremely efficient). But if analysts were to focues on TOTAL TD's rather than just passing TD's, or if there were a QB rating system that places some actual value on mobility in and out of the pocket rather than just listing it as a simple stat, the narrative would change drastically.

Anyways. Rant over, lol...

Meh. This is a cyclical phenomenon. Kordell "Slash" Stewart, Michael Vick, etc. The notion of a QB who can both run and pass isn't new. Russell Wilson won a Super Bowl, but let's not forget he had a world class defense helping him do that.

You'll see more RGIIIs then Wilsons every time this happens. That is, the running QB winds up getting knocked around pretty good outside the pocket and stops running so much, and if he didn't have the passing ability then he's basically gonna wind up holding a clipboard or selling TVs at Best Buy.

Spinluck

I think the football world needs to change the way they look at QB's in the next year or so. As more and more QBs come out of college as dual threat types, the defenses will have to start accounting for that ability more and more. But when you look at who is considered the top QB's in the league, it's the same type of players: prototype passers with little ability or willingness to use their legs. Despite the success of guys like Russell Wilson, Colin Kaepernick, or even Cam Newton, the narrative continues to focus on passing ability exclusively while mentioning running ability and overall mobility in and out of the pocket as an afterthought. And I think that narrative actually affects the development of certain dual threat QB's already in the league.

I think where Newton has sort of stalled in his development is where the playcalling is almost strictly in the pocket passing. A coach like Rivera should be trying to move Cam around the backfield and let the offensive line utilize a moving pocket, while making receivers run a variety of routes to utilize any lack of proper positioning by the opposing defense. But in all three of the games I seen the Hawks play against the Panthers, it's always either strict pocket passing, or read options. I think that's detrimental to Cam's development as a QB.

But more QB's will come out of college that can not only throw with the best of them, but can also run and stay healthy while doing so. So not should the narrative change to place running on an equal pedastal to passing, but the coaches in the NFL should stop being stubborn and fully utilize them in effective ways without worrying about injuries.

And I think the media should give mobile QB's their proper due. A QB like Wilson is never considered among the top QB's in football because everybody focuses on passing yards, attempts, yardage, and passing TD's. Problem is, unless Pete Carroll makes a drastic change in his approach to playcalling, Wilson will never lead the league in most of those categories (except maybe passing TD's, as he's already on pace for having the most passing TD's by a QB in his first three years; dude doesn't throw it 40 times per game, but he's extremely efficient). But if analysts were to focues on TOTAL TD's rather than just passing TD's, or if there were a QB rating system that places some actual value on mobility in and out of the pocket rather than just listing it as a simple stat, the narrative would change drastically.

Anyways. Rant over, lol...

Well, he's really efficient and doesn't turn it over too much, Seattle has passed the least since they've drafted him and he has 63 career passing TDs (22INTs). That's pretty impressive. I think he definitely gets his praise.

Luck is on pace to have that record btw. He currently has 68 career TDs (36INTs) in his first 3 years. And as far as dual threats go, Luck is really efficient when he runs.

11 career Rushing TDs to Russell's 8 and Kaep's 9 (Cam is sitting at 30), I would have never thought Luck had more Rushing TDs than those two--it always seems like Wilson and Kaep are running. He's more of a dual threat than people give him credit for. He only runs as a last option though.

bionic77

The mobile qb is here to stay.

Most of the recent SB champs had a qb who could scramble and create something when nothing was there.

The running qb is a stupid idea and needlessly risks your qb's health.

Spinluck

I am still surprised Vick is still playing.

He used to get FUCKED up sacrificing his body the way he did in ATL.

Going to jail definitely prolonged his career.

cdyhybrid

I can't hate you, Squall. Your Cards are doing what the loser Niners couldn't and are ending the Seahawks menace. But don't get all this nonsense in your post history when Manziel will end up with 4 or 6 Lombardi Trophies

We already won the Super Bowl. You can let go of your irrational hate now. Just take the L.

Zeke

The mobile qb is here to stay.

Most of the recent SB champs had a qb who could scramble and create something when nothing was there.

The running qb is a stupid idea and needlessly risks your qb's health.
Yup guys like Rodgers and Romo are the prototypes to that.

I woke up to a call on my personal cell 30 minutes ago. I looked at the time and panicked - I was 15 minutes late picking up my daughter! That surely must be the school calling me asking me where the fuck my deadbeat ass is.

"Wait a minute. Oh it's 2:20 not 3:20. Who the fuck is this then?"

Telemarketer.

eznark

Banned
I think it's adorable we give shitty passers who bail out of the pocket too early, cannibalize the running game and neuter the passing game the moniker "dual threat." Is that because they are just as likely to beat their team as the opponent in the NFL?

My wife and daughter are visiting family for the weekend and I couldn't make it because they wanted be there for trick-or-treating and I'm stuck at work. In other words, I will probably play 15 hours of video games tomorrow. If anyone wants to play some FIFA on PS4 let me know!

My wife and daughter are visiting family for the weekend and I couldn't make it because they wanted be there for trick-or-treating and I'm stuck at work. In other words, I will probably play 15 hours of video games tomorrow. If anyone wants to play some FIFA on PS4 let me know!

I can play right now :D

Girl:

JJ Watt ‏@JJWatt · 17h17 hours ago
Impressive. -> “@RumorsandRants: Hey @JJWatt, I think my friend Natalie nailed her Halloween costume. Your thoughts? pic.twitter.com/GKshKZxogQ”

Hook me up with her number

I think it's adorable we give shitty passers who bail out of the pocket too early, cannibalize the running game and neuter the passing game the moniker "dual threat." Is that because they are just as likely to beat their team as the opponent in the NFL?

Weren't you defending Russell Wilson like through all of last year?

LevelNth

Banned
The praise for Wussle boggles my mind too.

jWILL253

Banned

That's terrible logic.

What does "cannibalize the running game" even mean? In any case, a mobile QB makes the running game noticably better...

Spinluck

I believe tannehill can be that type of QB but the coaching has been lacking

He needs to work on his pocket presence.

His awareness, and mobility in the pocket don't seem to be consistent.

He can run though, I mean, he was a College WR so that's kind of a given. Mobility in the pocket is different though. You can be an out of shape slob like Ben and make guys miss and use your linemen to buy time.

He needs to work on his pocket presence.

His awareness, and mobility in the pocket don't seem to be consistent.

He can run though, I mean, he was a College WR so that's kind of a given. Mobility in the pocket is different though. You can be an out of shape slob like Ben and make guys miss and use your linemen to buy time.

Yeah that and making quicker decisions are his biggest flaws, he has shown improvement in both areas this year though so that's good.

eznark

Banned
That's terrible logic.

What does "cannibalize the running game" even mean? In any case, a mobile QB makes the running game noticably better...

League leaders in rushing:

DeMarco Murray - Romo
Arian Foster - Fitzmagic
Le'Veon Bell - Ben
Forsett - Flacco
Forte - Cutler
Morris - Washington's Garbage
McCoy - Foles

finnnnnnnnnnallllllllllly

Lynch - our first mobile QB

Ivory - Geno
Miller - Tanny

So 1 of the top ten running backs in the league has a "dual threat" eating his touches. "Dual threats" work because the ball is always in their hands. PA, read option, option routes, etc.

It absolutley cannibalizes touches from the person who is ostensibly the strongest runner on the team, the fucking running back. Ask Seattle fans if they agree.

Top Bottom