• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Wild Card |OT| The Prophet

RBH

dur5ofmdz4dbbsxj7qn8.gif

q1llgiysbtn7mfbqes5v.gif

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
You can tell who are the long time Seahawks fan in Seattle and who's on the bandwagon.

Anyone who follow Seattle teams know before last year SB our last championship in a major sport (NBA, MLB, NFL) was in 1979 and that was our only one. So generally most of us are pretty pessimistic, but this new age of Seahawks fan think Russell is the next Montana, and our defense is the 85 Bears or 00 Ravens (which might turn out to be true, but not yet). I love my Hawks but I can't watch our local coverage of it at all it's so much dick slurping on the level of Kas that it drives me insane.

Going through that with Raptors fans right now as the team gets a bit of success.

Toronto fans on a whole are ridiculously vocal online for god knows what reason. Ever want to raise your pageviews just write an article where you take a jab at Toronto sports or don't acknowledge a team that is doing well.

Real Hawks fans stuck around during the 2008 season.

That was the worst year ever in Seattle sports. So many tears...

Being a Seattle sports fan is mostly misery and suffering. I've been a big Mariners, Seahawks, Sonics fan since probably 1986 when I started playing sports as a kid. This whole "the Seahawks are really good" thing is absolutely surreal. I kinda viewed the 2005 super bowl run in a similar fashion. Same with the Mariners 2001 season. The Sonics were the only good team, but they could never pull off a finals victory and now they're gone. I'm waiting to wake up and find out we have the #1 pick in the draft and will take the second coming of Rick Mirrer.

kmag

Here is the explanation. They are going with face guarding.

B6jb-lNIYAEY8is.jpg

Face guarding is only legal if there is absolutely no contact. Any contact at all when you're not playing the ball and the receiver is is DPI. There's no incidental contact protection at all if you are not playing the ball and receiver is. By it's very nature if you are face guarding and you contact a player you prevent him from making a catch.

Actions that constitute defensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Contact by a defender who is not playing the ball and such contact restricts the receiver’s opportunity to make the catch
Actions that do not constitute pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Incidental contact by a defender’s hands, arms, or body when both players are competing for the ball, or neither player is looking for the ball. If there is any question whether contact is incidental, the ruling shall be no interference.

If Morelli is saying there was some minimal contact but not enough then he really needs to read the rule book.

jWILL253

Banned
Biased source, but a damn good article on the quality of NFL officiating: http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2015/1/4/7492725/on-the-nfl-poor-officiating-and-conspiracy-theories

Is a big conspiracy that involved the NFL favoring a more popular team at fault here? Uh, no. It's not as if Roger Goodell or Dean Blandino made a call down to the officials in between the flag being thrown and picked up on that infamous pass interference no-call and decided that was the perfect time to execute "OPERATION: COWBOYS MUST ADVANCE" or something like that. That's not how this works, and no, it's not as if either of them made it known before the game that the Cowboys must advance at all costs.

So, is this instead a conspiracy involving the specific officials? In true Tim Donaghy fashion, did one or more of them rig the game because they had money on the Cowboys? Given what happened years ago in the NBA, I suppose we can't 100 percent rule out this theory, but it's unlikely. There could definitely be bias for the home team involved in Sunday's instance considering how often the officials were booed, and perhaps they were swayed by the home crowd. But a big game-fixing scandal? I don't believe NFL officials would be smart enough to conceal a game-fixing operation, and I certainly don't believe they would be competent enough to execute it properly.

This really leads me to my main point. There is an alarming amount of incompetence in NFL officiating, yet the league has done virtually nothing to address it. You could really say the same for every other sport where officials play a major role. And I get it -- it's tough for human beings to make judgment calls in real speed with freakish athletes running around them. It's not an enviable job by any means, and especially in the NFL, officials are put in a position to fail more often than not. There are too many rules, the rulebook is overly complicated and with the technology we have available, even the smallest mistake becomes obvious after enough slow-motion replays.

But the problem here is that the NFL puts up with this incompetence and does nothing to fix it. NFL officials have become household names over the years for their blatant blown calls, but nothing happens to them publicly. If an NFL player even wears the wrong-colored socks, he receives a fine. And those fines get even bigger when one player flying at a high speed hits another player flying at a high speed in the wrong part of the body because of a split-second decision or change in motion. The point is that players are fined or even suspended by the league for every little mistake they make, and if they don't perform at the level necessary, they will ultimately be cut by their team. But officials are allowed to keep their jobs despite racking up blown call after blown call over an extended period of time. The Pete Morellis, Jerome Bogers, Jeff Triplettes and Ed Hochulis of the world have ruined important NFL games for years, yet they're still in the exact same jobs.

Sephzilla

It's true though, I have said the officials should be fined for bad officiating or they should hire younger refs as they more then likely would be more fit and have better vision.
Refs need to be publicly disciplined just like players coaches, and pretty much every NFL employee who sees frequent television time

njean777

Refs need to be publicly disciplined just like players coaches, and pretty much every NFL employee who sees frequent television time

I just think in some cases the league should call in to the officials and make them overturn some blown calls. They have the technology and can do it, I mean when you have the league exec saying on broadcast television that the refs blew it on the PI call and didn't call Bryant on his diva tactics then you have a serious problem that needs to be fixed. It is outright insane that the league continues to not use the technology they have to officiate these games correctly.

Sure I am biased against Dallas, but I feel this should happen in every game with every team. I have seen to many games this season that have had really bad officiating, and nothing is being done about it.

I just think in some cases the league should call in to the officials and make them overturn some blown calls. They have the technology and can do it, I mean when you have the league exec saying on broadcast television that the refs blew it on the PI call and didn't call Bryant on his diva tactics then you have a serious problem that needs to be fixed. It is outright insane that the league continues to not use the technology they have to officiate these games correctly.

Sure I am biased against Dallas, but I feel this should happen in every game with every team. I have seen to many games this season that have had really bad officiating, and nothing is being done about it.

That would make games last even longer and people would definitely play the "NFL called in, the game is fixed!!!!!!!" Card more often. Part of sports is knowing refs can swing possessions here and there. Generally it even a out though. That's why you got to play well enough that you never leave your destiny in the refs hands

Part of sports is knowing refs can swing possessions here and there. Generally it even a out though. That's why you got to play well enough that you never leave your destiny in the refs hands

This

if there wasn't that horse shit roughing the kicker call, the lions score 13 points.

like how UFC fighters are always mad at the judges for everything and they shouldn't let it go to decision

Barryman

Is a big conspiracy that involved the NFL favoring a more popular team at fault here? Uh, no. It's not as if Roger Goodell or Dean Blandino made a call down to the officials in between the flag being thrown and picked up on that infamous pass interference no-call and decided that was the perfect time to execute "OPERATION: COWBOYS MUST ADVANCE" or something like that. That's not how this works

Really? It's not as if Blandino made the call? How does the author know that?

To me, Blandino making the call to pick up the flag makes a lot more sense than the officials announcing the penalty, moving the chains, and THEN reversing course and picking up the flag.

As for the idea that Suh's suspension being overturned proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that the league didn't care if the Cowboys won: the suspension was overturned by an independent arbitrator, not league officials.

eznark

Banned
Really? It's not as if Blandino made the call? How does the author know that?

To me, Blandino making the call to pick up the flag makes a lot more sense than the officials announcing the penalty, moving the chains, and THEN reversing course and picking up the flag.

As for the idea that Suh's suspension being overturned proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that the league didn't care if the Cowboys won: the suspension was overturned by an independent arbitrator, not league officials.

holy fuck you're serious

Top Bottom