• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 CC |OT| - A Fraud's Penultimate Step

Status
Not open for further replies.
It gives me hope. Doug himself doesn't inspire a lot of confidence, but it seems like he knows he doesn't know shit, and they're assembling a good staff around him to support the team. Aside from Reich I'm pretty happy with all of the hires. Even Reich is alright, it's just the lack of a running game in his playbook that's worrying. But obviously with the oline/RB situation in San Diego he couldn't do much anyway. Hopefully he and Doug get a more balanced attack. I think Bradford (or whoever we bring in) could do a lot better if our rushing attack could take some pressure of him, so I'm hoping we're not too pass happy.

Great points. I have totally resigned myself to them losing Bradford. Sucks that it took them so many years to get a really good QB and then he is just gone after a year.

Godslay

Banned
I was reading up on Bradford's contract demands, and this was pointed out:

Salary avg. / Cap ceiling when signed = Percentage of cap at signing

Rodgers
$22M / $122M = 18.0%

Bradford
$25M / $155M = 16.1%

So it's not totally outlandish going by that figure. Obviously the percentage of cap decreases as cap ceiling expands and contract remains the same. So Rodgers as a percentage of cap number next year would be considerably less. Same would apply to Bradford if the cap rises over the years of contract.

So it's still high, but it's not totally crazy either.

BigAT

Rodgers
$22M / $122M = 18.0%

Bradford
$25M / $155M = 16.1%

So it's not totally outlandish going by that figure. Obviously the percentage of cap decreases as cap ceiling expands and contract remains the same. So Rodgers as a percentage of cap number next year would be considerably less. Same would apply to Bradford if the cap rises over the years of contract.

Speaking comparatively about Rodgers and Bradford as quarterbacks is inherently outlandish.

Pepiope

It gives me hope. Doug himself doesn't inspire a lot of confidence, but it seems like he knows he doesn't know shit, and they're assembling a good staff around him to support the team. Aside from Reich I'm pretty happy with all of the hires. Even Reich is alright, it's just the lack of a running game in his playbook that's worrying. But obviously with the oline/RB situation in San Diego he couldn't do much anyway. Hopefully he and Doug get a more balanced attack. I think Bradford (or whoever we bring in) could do a lot better if our rushing attack could take some pressure of him, so I'm hoping we're not too pass happy.
Yeah idk if Pederson will be better than Chip, but he sure knows how to put a staff together. Seems like he knows that he doesn't know it all, which is what you want in a leader.

The big question is how much doesn't he know?

That $25mm figure was leaked by the Eagles front office I bet. It will soften the blow when they either sign him for $20mm, or tag + trade him.

Rodgers
$22M / $122M = 18.0%

Bradford
$25M / $155M = 16.1%

Yeah it is definitely high but it was also what his agent wanted before the season started. I am sure that he saw what Foles did in this offense and figured since he is infinitely better then Foles that he would put up crazy numbers. Obviously no one could have expected the WRs to drop so many passes, so that does change things. I really hope that the Eagles can resign him. Losing Chip was already so so terrible, dont want to also lose Sam.

squicken

I would be stunned if he got that. I'm expecting 15-18. But it's really just down to the market. I'm guess WAS keeps Kirk and CLE drafts a QB. What will SF do? DEN? Keep Kaep and Brock? Objectively, I just wouldn't trust Bradford's health enough to go all in. His injury this past season probably cost the Eagles a playoff spot and maybe Chip's job

e:
PFF had a FA profile of him. Strengths, weaknesses and possible landing spots

https://www.profootballfocus.com/bl...landing-spots-for-free-agent-qb-sam-bradford/

MechDX

Yeah it is definitely high but it was also what his agent wanted before the season started. I am sure that he saw what Foles did in this offense and figured since he is infinitely better then Foles that he would put up crazy numbers. Obviously no one could have expected the WRs to drop so many passes, so that does change things. I really hope that the Eagles can resign him. Losing Chip was already so so terrible, dont want to also lose Sam.

I was honestly waiting for the bolded comment to be followed up with: "Drop so many passes form the best QB in the league under 25 years old: the great Matthew Stafford"

You have gone full Kas

Hindl

Speaking comparatively about Rodgers and Bradford as quarterbacks is inherently outlandish.

I appreciate the cost analysis, but it's more complicated than that. Is Rodgers worth almost 1/5 of the Packers cap? I think everyone would agree yes. By comparison, at least at this point, Bradford is not worth roughly 1/6 of the Eagles cap. I'm hoping he comes back, but we have too many holes to fill and we can't go off of the last half of one season, promising as it was. Add in that he'd be learning a new system yet again, and I can't see him commanding a high price from the Eagles. And with Shurmur gone, I'm not seeing a big chance of Bradford coming back, but we'll just have to wait and see.

There's rumors that the Eagles want to retain him, but will let the market set the price. I think that's wise, since it could actually bring his price down. And if some team enters a bidding war, let them win and unfortunately try to draft a new QB. Regardless, given all of these positional hires, I'm a little more comfortable with the future of the team now than I was a week ago, Bradford or not

I was honestly waiting for the bolded comment to be followed up with: "Drop so many passes form the best QB in the league under 25 years old: the great Matthew Stafford"

You have gone full Kas

You have gone full idiot. No one is saying he was the best QB last year, but he was really good in the 2nd half of the season and the WR's leading the league in drops is obviously going to affect his stats. You wanna talk about someone going full kas, how about you trying to hype up that garbage Mallett.

Dragon

Banned

You have gone full Kas

No one could have predicted the great Eagles WR corp of Riley Cooper, Jordan Matthews, Nelson Agholor and Josh Huff could have been shitty.

You have gone full idiot. No one is saying he was the best QB last year, but he was really good in the 2nd half of the season and the WR's leading the league in drops is obviously going to affect his stats. You wanna talk about someone going full kas, how about you trying to hype up that garbage Mallett.

The difference between you and Mech is, he may hype someone up, but then when he realizes they're shit, he says so. WRs dropping passes will affect his stats. Even if the Eagles had the least amount of drops it wouldn't make Sam Bradford anything but below average.

MechDX

Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout 2m2 minutes ago
#KState FB Glenn Gronkowski will be playing tight end at the Senior Bowl

Admitted I was wrong on Mallett and you still are hyping Bradford while everyone else is saying he isnt very good. Yeah.....

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2016/01/21/new-dolphins-coach-gase-calls-tannehills-struggles-a-hiccup/

A little more info on what Gase is planning, their are building this staff to help out Tannehill which I guess is the best thing they could have done. So good job Ross, this is the first decision you've made that I don't totally hate.

Keeping Tannehill clean will definitely have the most impact on his development, whether its increasing overall o-line play, helping his pocket awareness, or increasing the diversity in playcalling to keep the defensive line guessing. Tannehill's hits/sacks were the biggest problem with Miami's offense last season and I'm glad to see it didn't take him long to figure that out.

So Jermaine Kearse straight up said he doesn't do hometown discounts. Any idea if anybody would even be interested in him?

I feel it's hit or miss, sometimes he does these crazy catches and then sometimes he just derps.

Line_HTX

Keeping Tannehill clean will definitely have the most impact on his development, whether its increasing overall o-line play, helping his pocket awareness, or increasing the diversity in playcalling to keep the defensive line guessing. Tannehill's hits/sacks were the biggest problem with Miami's offense last season and I'm glad to see it didn't take him long to figure that out.

Out of curiosity, how many times did he get hard knockdown?

So Jermaine Kearse straight up said he doesn't do hometown discounts. Any idea if anybody would even be interested in him?

I feel it's hit or miss, sometimes he does these crazy catches and then sometimes he just derps.

Kearse derps. Seems legit, lol

No one could have predicted the great Eagles WR corp of Riley Cooper, Jordan Matthews, Nelson Agholor and Josh Huff could have been shitty.

The difference between you and Mech is, he may hype someone up, but then when he realizes they're shit, he says so. WRs dropping passes will affect his stats. Even if the Eagles had the least amount of drops it wouldn't make Sam Bradford anything but below average.

How are we still having this discussion. You have clearly made up your mind so there is nothing left to say. If you think Bradford was below average the second half of the season then you are just dumb.

MechDX

Please support my #SavageFuture this upcoming season.

Thank you for your support

Dragon

Banned
How are we still having this discussion. You have clearly made up your mind so there is nothing left to say. If you think Bradford was below average the second half of the season then you are just dumb.

holy shit that's ironic.

I never said he was below average in the second half of the season. He had a below average season for an NFL QB. The fact you think that it was one of the best in franchise history (something you DID say yesterday) shows me that you're the one that needs to take a step back and stop taking the crazy pills.

Why are we talking about it? Because you keep bringing up that he deserves 25 million dollars a year.

Pepiope

Even with the drops Brdford wasn't close to below average during the 2nd half of the season.

Yeah that should be music to Tannehill (and Mrs. Tannehills) ears.

Kearse derps. Seems legit, lol

He has been sacked 184 times in the four years he's been in the league, (most of all QBs in those 4 years) and last year he was hit 107 times and he's been hit 371 times in 4 years. Don't know how many of those are hard....but I'm sure there were plenty.

ampere

He won't get resigned in Seattle unless he does end up taking a pay cut. Carroll is going to have to go Belichick style and let a lot of people walk as their deals expire and they want bigger contracts.

holy shit that's ironic.

I never said he was below average in the second half of the season. He had a below average season for an NFL QB. The fact you think that it was one of the best in franchise history (something you DID say yesterday) shows me that you're the one that needs to take a step back and stop taking the crazy pills.

Why are we talking about it? Because you keep bringing up that he deserves 25 million dollars a year.

4th most passing yards in franchise history

1st in completion percentage in franchise history

Outside of a few Mcnabb years the Eagles havent exactly had a lot of great years from QBs.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Mike Tomlin on the last drive of the game vs Denver, "I'm thinking about going for two when we score." He said that to the offense, not the coaches. They didn't score, but Mike McCarthy should take a lesson.

Hindl

Yeah that should be music to Tannehill (and Mrs. Tannehills) ears.

He has been sacked 184 times in the four years he's been in the league, (most of all QBs in those 4 years) and last year he was hit 107 times and he's been hit 371 times in 4 years. Don't know how many of those are hard....but I'm sure there were plenty.

Once I saw that article about him playing after pissing blood that was enough to convince me. Sorry friend hopefully Gase can get an actual O Line for him and protect him a little more while he works his magic. How's the Dolphins cap? It looks like a pretty decent FA/draft for Guards and tackles, so he might get the help he needs

Again Browns fans, Browns leader Ez, and anyone else interested...

Sashi Brown and Paul Depodesta are having their intro press conferences at 12:30 pm est, in a few minutes

Can't find the knockdown numbers but he took 45 sacks, which isn't more than usual, but he lost a total of 420 yards on sacks which is nearly 10 yards per sack. I think those numbers might have been inflated a bit by one really bad sack I can't quite remember, but the sacks are still the biggest drive killers for Miami.

Edit: nvm, chris found it, but my point still stands that keeping Tannehill clean has always been this offense's biggest problem.

Godslay

Banned

Well everyone trots out Rodgers $22M as the benchmark as great player with a high salary. Problem is, that contract was cut when there was (projected anyways), 22% less cap than there will be in 2016. That's also a contract average, it wouldn't surprise me if Bradford's flash number looks somewhere in the neighborhood of $25M (probably less), but in reality be less "actual money" with the ability to dump him towards the end of the contract.

Salaries will rise, more so for QBs probably than any other position. If you look at what some QBs are due for next year, it really doesn't look as crazy as it does on first glance.

For example in 2016:

Brees -> $30M contract signed in 2012 (can cut for $10M dead cap hit to avoid)
Flacco -> $28.5M contract signed in 2013
Eli -> $24.2M contract signed in 2015
Ben -> $23.95M contract signed in 2015
Ryan -> $23.75M contract signed in 2013
Stafford -> $22.5M contract signed in 2013
Peyton -> $21.5M contract signed in 2015 (can cut for $2.5M dead cap hit to avoid)
Rivers -> $21M contract signed in 2015
Romo -> $20.35M contract signed in 2013
Cam -> $19.5M contract signed in 2015
Rodgers -> $19.25M contract signed in 2013
Little Hands -> $17.8M contract signed in 2014

After these guys, it drops considerably, to around the $17M mark.

These are actual salaries, not funny money averages. So it wouldn't surprise me to see Bradford get a pretty significant salary boost.

Pepiope

Well everyone trots out Rodgers $22M as the benchmark as great player with a high salary. Problem is, that contract was cut when there was (projected anyways), 22% less cap than there will be in 2016. That's also a contract average, it wouldn't surprise me if Bradford's flash number looks somewhere in the neighborhood of $25M (probably less), but in reality be less "actual money" with the ability to dump him towards the end of the contract.

Salaries will rise, more so for QBs probably than any other position. If you look at what some QBs are due for next year, it really doesn't look as crazy as it does on first glance.

For example in 2016:

Brees -> $30M contract signed in 2012 (can cut for $10M dead cap hit to avoid)
Flacco -> $28.5M contract signed in 2013
Eli -> $24.2M contract signed in 2015
Ben -> $23.95M contract signed in 2015
Ryan -> $23.75M contract signed in 2013
Stafford -> $22.5M contract signed in 2013
Peyton -> $21.5M contract signed in 2015 (can cut for $2.5M dead cap hit to avoid)
Rivers -> $21M contract signed in 2015
Romo -> $20.35M contract signed in 2013
Cam -> $19.5M contract signed in 2015
Rodgers -> $19.25M contract signed in 2013
Little Hands -> $17.8M contract signed in 2014

After these guys, it drops considerably, to around the $19M mark.

These are actual salaries, not funny money averages. So it wouldn't surprise me to see Bradford get a pretty significant salary boost.
He's not getting 25M though. If we can get him for 15-18M then everything will be fine.

My question is, why would Bradford even want to stay in Philly? If Texans give him comparable money he's gone. He's stated he doesn't like livin there, and he's going to have to learn a new system anyway. In Houston he's in a terrible division with a much better defense, better coach, closer to home, and has a top 5 WR.

Once I saw that article about him playing after pissing blood that was enough to convince me. Sorry friend hopefully Gase can get an actual O Line for him and protect him a little more while he works his magic. How's the Dolphins cap? It looks like a pretty decent FA/draft for Guards and tackles, so he might get the help he needs

Well we should be purging the defense so we'll have some cap space to sign a few FAs, I know there will be some Guards available (Sorry mech) so hopefully we can sign at least one. We are set at Tackles so we really just need depth there which wouldn't eat too much cap space, same with Center.

Can't find the knockdown numbers but he took 45 sacks, which isn't more than usual, but he lost a total of 420 yards on sacks which is nearly 10 yards per sack. I think those numbers might have been inflated a bit by one really bad sack I can't quite remember, but the sacks are still the biggest drive killers for Miami.

Edit: nvm, chris found it, but my point still stands that keeping Tannehill clean has always been this offense's biggest problem.

Yeah that and penalties from our recently departed Jason Fox would leave us with 3rd and forever almost ever drive. Like I said...it's amazing what Tannehill was able to accomplish last year with what he had on the field and off it.

Pepiope

My question is, why would Bradford even want to stay in Philly? If Texans give him comparable money he's gone. He's stated he doesn't like livin there, and he's going to have to learn a new system anyway. In Houston he's in a terrible division with a much better defense, better coach, closer to home, and has a top 5 WR.
If he goes anywhere else then it should be a tag and trade.

Godslay

Banned
He's not getting 25M though. If we can get him for 15-18M then everything will be fine.

Sure.

His average might look high (I'm guessing in the low $20 millions), but his actual salary probably won't be that high. If that makes sense.

Contracts aren't always about comparison to peers, they are also about timing. It's pretty good timing for Bradford to be signing a contract as it looks like right now. Obviously a lot can change from here to FA, and during FA.

MechDX

Because he wants none of this:

tom_savage_texans_away_0_1441164813.jpg

96231-wind-blowing-Nicolas-Cage-hair-GPA9.gif

Hindl

My thinking too. The Texans are pretty much set and playoff ready like you said, and the Jags and Titans are a few years away from competitiveness. And the Colts will continue to squander Luck's career. Combine that with his general luke-warmness on Philly and the Northeast and it isn't looking good. And yeah he's gonna have to learn a new system regardless. Pretty much our only chance of keeping him is if Houston doesn't want him for whatever reasoning

Well we should be purging the defense so we'll have some cap space to sign a few FAs, I know there will be some Guards available (Sorry mech) so hopefully we can sign at least one. We are set at Tackles so we really just need depth there which wouldn't eat too much cap space, same with Center.

That's good to hear. But if the tackles and centers are alright then was it the O Line coach making bad blocking patterns? Or were your guards really that bad?

Dragon

Banned
His entire point was about Bradford's progression as the season went on.

One of the best second halves? Please pick the top five players here and tell me which one of them is Bradford. Asterisked are the ones I picked.

Code:
Player         Comp     Att     Yards   Comp %  Y/A    TD  INT  Sack
Player A        218	324	2,494	67.3	7.70   17   5	14
Player B        174	277	2,285	62.8	8.25   15   5	14*
Player C        151	222	1,664	68.0	7.50    9   4	14
Player D        205	293	2,179	70.0	7.44   19   2	22*
Player E        173	235	2,212	73.6	9.41   19   2	17*
Player F        180	295	2,235	61.0	7.58   18   8	26
Player G        168	249	2,146	67.5	8.62   25   2	14*
Player H        164	249	2,017	65.9	8.10   21   1	20*
Player I        156	236	1,872	66.1	7.93   11   6	19
Player J        137	202	1,517	67.8	7.51   11   4	17
Player K        135	231	1,757	58.4	7.61   10   2	19
Player L        178	282	2,031	63.1	7.20   10   7	25

He may not even have one of the top 10 second halves for a QB this year. You guys are absolutely nuts. Did he do better in the second half? Yes. But that's not hard because his first half numbers were abominable.

4th most passing yards in franchise history

1st in completion percentage in franchise history

Outside of a few Mcnabb years the Eagles havent exactly had a lot of great years from QBs.

McNabb had six better years than Bradford's year.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
If the Panthers ever get some quality, healthy receivers, that Cam Newton contract may end up being the biggest bargain in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom