• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 CC |OT| - A Fraud's Penultimate Step

Status
Not open for further replies.
Philly doesn't even have the salary cap available currently to afford a franchise tag.

The cap is expected to rise to $150m this year, the Eagles are currently at $133m but they have several cuts they can make to save money. I think they could tag him if they chose to go that route. I dont think they will though. I dont think they want a situation where they spend Doug's first year with Sam only to have him leave and have to start over again in year 2.

MechDX

The cap is expected to rise to $150m this year, the Eagles are currently at $133m but they have several cuts they can make to save money. I think they could tag him if they chose to go that route. I dont think they will though. I dont think they want a situation where they spend Doug's first year with Sam only to have him leave and have to start over again in year 2.

I would LOVE for the Eagles to franchise tag Bradford just to see the reaction when everyone laughs.

squicken

Again Browns fans, Browns leader Ez, and anyone else interested...

Sashi Brown and Paul Depodesta are having their intro press conferences at 12:30 pm est, in a few minutes

Depodesta commuting seems odd, but I guess since he is sort of to the side of day to day operations, it isn't a huge deal

My thinking too. The Texans are pretty much set and playoff ready like you said, and the Jags and Titans are a few years away from competitiveness. And the Colts will continue to squander Luck's career. Combine that with his general luke-warmness on Philly and the Northeast and it isn't looking good. And yeah he's gonna have to learn a new system regardless. Pretty much our only chance of keeping him is if Houston doesn't want him for whatever reasoning

That's good to hear. But if the tackles and centers are alright then was it the O Line coach making bad blocking patterns? Or were your guards really that bad?

Our guards are really really awful but also Albert was just coming back from ACL so he wasn't playing as well and when he did he injured his hamstring and took him longer to recover and our RT had a toe injury that kept him out for half the season. Pouncey was also hurt a lot and missed games so even though they are solid starters they either played hurt or didn't play at all. That's why we need depth too, the starters we do have are always getting injured.

Edit: The coaching is bad too, we kept getting beat by the same fucken stunts over and over and the coaches did nothing to adjust it.

effzee

$25m for badford? hahahaha

That $25mm figure was leaked by the Eagles front office I bet. It will soften the blow when they either sign him for $20mm, or tag + trade him.

People keep bringing this up without realizing this is what his agent was setting as the starting point BEFORE THE SEASON.

Again this is back when the theory was if healthy, he would put up monster #s and be a possible great QB. That didn't happen. I mean he was relatively healthy and played better as the season went on but nothing that would demand 25+

Now his market is around 15-18 range. I wouldn't mind if they brought him back on a 5 year deal that is cap friendly because he is still pretty young and QBs can play well into their 30s. Anything higher than that range hell no.

But even before Doug err sorry meant Howie get anywhere close to signing him, the Eagles as an organization need to decide:

1. Are we close to contending? Yes? Ok then sign Bradford and draft a QB much later to groom
2. If not contending how far out are we with current team? Does it even make sense to sign Bradford if that money could be used to build up the lines and other spots while a rookie QB (1st round pick) is developed.

In today's NFL you are never really 5 years out. They have decent to good WRs (depends on how Agholor develops into year 2), have RBs (DeMarco is going to bounce back), good TEs, and subpar OLINE. D has pieces that will benefit automatically from the offense not running uptempo and quick 3 and outs.

If they bring back Bradford and build up the line, I think this can be a playoff contender. At this point though I don't care enough to just make the playoffs. I want the Eagles to finally have a franchise QB who is easily top 5-7 in the league. Who alone elevates them every season into SB contenders list.

For that reason I am leaning towards letting Bradford go and drafting a guy who can be the franchise QB. Best case obviously would be for Bradford to somehow turn into that QB while here in Philly, but I think at this point we have seen his ceiling.

My question is, why would Bradford even want to stay in Philly? If Texans give him comparable money he's gone. He's stated he doesn't like livin there, and he's going to have to learn a new system anyway. In Houston he's in a terrible division with a much better defense, better coach, closer to home, and has a top 5 WR.

Exactly. He is from the south and if he had a preference he would play in Texas. Also need to see what Chip does in SF. If Kaep is let go, Bradford would be in play there. Benefits both as Bradford was upset Chip was let go and said he was finally getting comfortable in the offense.

Eagles can afford Bradford. Once they address a few contracts (Celek, Ryans, Sproles, Peters, Cooper) they'll have plenty of cap space. They can easily afford to resign Bradford, Curry, & extend Fletcher Cox.

Godslay

Banned
I would LOVE for the Eagles to franchise tag Bradford just to see the reaction when everyone laughs.

Using old numbers 12.942% of cap for position, and $150M to 155M, that puts him at $19.4M to $20.1M for the franchise tag.

Seems high, but at the same time what's the alternative? Start some fucking bum and wallow around in the shit like a loser? Having Bradford doesn't mean that you'll be a winner, but at the same time you'll at least be competitive. Especially if the NFCE is terrible again. Then you can kick the can down the road, and possibly more options open up.

I'm not advocating for it, but I think the alternative is probably worse.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
One of the best second halves? Please pick the top five players here and tell me which one of them is Bradford. Asterisked are the ones I picked.

Code:
Player         Comp     Att     Yards   Comp %  Y/A    TD  INT  Sack
Player A        218	324	2,494	67.3	7.70   17   5	14
Player B        174	277	2,285	62.8	8.25   15   5	14*
Player C        151	222	1,664	68.0	7.50    9   4	14
Player D        205	293	2,179	70.0	7.44   19   2	22*
Player E        173	235	2,212	73.6	9.41   19   2	17*
Player F        180	295	2,235	61.0	7.58   18   8	26
Player G        168	249	2,146	67.5	8.62   25   2	14*
Player H        164	249	2,017	65.9	8.10   21   1	20*
Player I        156	236	1,872	66.1	7.93   11   6	19
Player J        137	202	1,517	67.8	7.51   11   4	17
Player K        135	231	1,757	58.4	7.61   10   2	19
Player L        178	282	2,031	63.1	7.20   10   7	25

He may not even have one of the top 10 second halves for a QB this year. You guys are absolutely nuts. Did he do better in the second half? Yes. But that's not hard because his first half numbers were abominable.

McNabb had six better years than Bradford's year.

Is there an easy website to dump stats from onto forum posts?

Ez used to do a lot of these "pick the player" retorts and I find that they're always the best when dealing with delusional types hyping up their QB.

Spinluck

I would choose RG3 over Bradford

Not enthused about either TBH

You're already starting to accept it :')

andrew-luck-robert-griffin-nfl-draft.jpg

HOU/IND rivalry, refueled

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I totally forgot that Luck is an UFA after next season.

Colts gonna Colt and end up paying $35 million per year or something crazy.

spyder_ur

If the Panthers ever get some quality, healthy receivers, that Cam Newton contract may end up being the biggest bargain in the game.

Benjamin alone should help a lot. Benjamin, Funchess, Olsen, and a slot upgrade sounds OK to me.

And you're right - the Cam contract is just fine. Remember how many people were laughing at the deals for he and Wilson - they were no brainers then and they look fine now.

Cousins is my pick this offseason to get dramatically overpaid and sink a franchise for a half-decade.

Eagles can afford Bradford. Once they address a few contracts (Celek, Ryans, Sproles, Peters, Cooper) they'll have plenty of cap space. They can easily afford to resign Bradford, Curry, & extend Fletcher Cox.

Using old numbers 12.942% of cap for position, and $150M to 155M, that puts him at $19.4M to $20.1M for the franchise tag.

Seems high, but at the same time what's the alternative? Start some fucking bum and wallow around in the shit like a loser? Having Bradford doesn't mean that you'll be a winner, but at the same time you'll at least be competitive. Especially if the NFCE is terrible again. Then you can kick the can down the road, and possibly more options open up.

I'm not advocating for it, but I think the alternative is probably worse.

I'll direct you guys to my post on the Eagles cap situation:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=192599781&postcount=812

Sproles can also be outright cut for 3.5 million in savings and 1 million in dead money.

Estimated franchise tag number for a QB in 2016 is 18.5 million (I think need to research more).

EDIT: Looks like the tag would be between 20-25million.

Dragon

Banned
Is there an easy website to dump stats from onto forum posts?

Ez used to do a lot of these "pick the player" retorts and I find that they're always the best when dealing with delusional types hyping up their QB.

Nah you have to do it by hand, luckily I got them all from the same site so it was pretty easy to format.

One of the best second halves? Please pick the top five players here and tell me which one of them is Bradford. Asterisked are the ones I picked.

Code:
Player         Comp     Att     Yards   Comp %  Y/A    TD  INT  Sack
Player A        218	324	2,494	67.3	7.70   17   5	14
Player B        174	277	2,285	62.8	8.25   15   5	14*
Player C        151	222	1,664	68.0	7.50    9   4	14
Player D        205	293	2,179	70.0	7.44   19   2	22*
Player E        173	235	2,212	73.6	9.41   19   2	17*
Player F        180	295	2,235	61.0	7.58   18   8	26
Player G        168	249	2,146	67.5	8.62   25   2	14*
Player H        164	249	2,017	65.9	8.10   21   1	20*
Player I        156	236	1,872	66.1	7.93   11   6	19
Player J        137	202	1,517	67.8	7.51   11   4	17
Player K        135	231	1,757	58.4	7.61   10   2	19
Player L        178	282	2,031	63.1	7.20   10   7	25

He may not even have one of the top 10 second halves for a QB this year. You guys are absolutely nuts. Did he do better in the second half? Yes. But that's not hard because his first half numbers were abominable.

Thank you for doing the work that I couldn't do yesterday.

You have gone full idiot. No one is saying he was the best QB last year, but he was really good in the 2nd half of the season and the WR's leading the league in drops is obviously going to affect his stats. You wanna talk about someone going full kas, how about you trying to hype up that garbage Mallett.

I think I quoted you saying that Bradford was 'one of the best QBs' in the second half of the year. Not the best, but "one of the best" would imply a sort of top 3 or at the worst top 5. I think everybody else's point is, nah, he was pretty average. Maybe some might say the 12th best, others might say the 18th best, and I'd put him somewhere in the middle there... Maybe the 15th best QB in the second half of the year. But for me there really isn't a lot of difference between average QB #1 (say, #11) an average QB #4 (say, #15). They're all pretty average.

Bradford or Tannehill are about the line where above them is a potentially good QB that you don't need to drop. Below them is a QB that you absolutely have ti find a replacement for. And Bradford and Tannehill occupy the awkward middle of mediocrity.

Spinluck

The thought crossed my mind. ESPN would have a field day with it.

Either way Tom Savage gives no fucks who you sign

I don't see anything really wrong with him besides his terrible injury history.

He's never looked as bad as Kap this season, I think Bob can work with him.

squicken

Anyone arguing Bradford had a good year is nuts. It was pretty bad b/c the first half of the year was dreadful. The argument is that he missed 1.5 years of football and had to get some confidence in his health back and knock off the rust. Whether you believe that or not is beyond numbers.

But going by numbers, in his second half of the year (he missed 2 games), using Weeks 8-17 for that, he was a top 10 guy. What that means is up to whoever wants to pay him

I've mentioned this before, but Bradford and Tyrod notably had far lower TD rates relative to all their other numbers. Why is that the case? I asked Bills fans but none ever responded

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Nah you have to do it by hand, luckily I got them all from the same site so it was pretty easy to format.

Which website though? ESPN is god awful.

I'm not even sure where to go look for partial seasons.

We don't really have a choice.

I think the solution was to sign Luck to a long term deal before this past season but it's going to be ludicrous when it does happen. Kicking the can down the road was a big mistake.

KingBroly

Banned
Benjamin alone should help a lot. Benjamin, Funchess, Olsen, and a slot upgrade sounds OK to me.

And you're right - the Cam contract is just fine. Remember how many people were laughing at the deals for he and Wilson - they were no brainers then and they look fine now.

Cousins is my pick this offseason to get dramatically overpaid and sink a franchise for a half-decade.

I still think we tag Cousins.

Dragon

Banned
Which website though? ESPN is god awful.

I'm not even sure where to go look for partial seasons.

ESPN has first and second half splits luckily. Otherwise that would have taken me forever.

Anyone arguing Bradford had a good year is nuts. It was pretty bad b/c the first half of the year was dreadful. The argument is that he missed 1.5 years of football and had to get some confidence in his health back and knock off the rust. Whether you believe that or not is beyond numbers.

But going by numbers, in his second half of the year (he missed 2 games), using Weeks 8-17 for that, he was a top 10 guy. What that means is up to whoever wants to pay him

It's definitely arguable he had a top 10 second half. However yankeehater's assertion that it was one of the best second halves was the part I had a real problem with. That's why I limited it to five. Where he isn't even close. Kirk Cousins, Cam and Russell were way above him and most other QBs. I mean the list of QBs I picked didn't have Brady (his second half was mediocre at best) nor Rodgers but did have Blaine Gabbert. And that should tell all you need to know about picking an arbitrary part of one season for an NFL QB.

If they calculated the exclusive tag right now it would be over $25mm. Nonexclusive tag will be something like $19.7mm. The Eagles would almost certainly use the nonexclusive.
That's still a 20 million chunk ripped out of about 34-37 million in cap space. You could address Cox and Curry by making their 2016 money in a long term contract primarily a bonus and spread it across the remaining life of the contract lowering their cap hit. However, you have an entire rookie class to deal with (which is about 6-7 million) as well. Oh and free agency if you actually want to....you know improve the team?

If I'm the Eagles, I wouldn't remotely entertain franchising Bradford. If he's your guy, wrap him up long term or let him go. I'm not committing 20 million dollars of cap space with a franchise tag unless I know that I'm nearing a long term deal and the tag is used to make sure he stays until that deal is completed.

Hindl

People keep bringing this up without realizing this is what his agent was setting as the starting point BEFORE THE SEASON.

Again this is back when the theory was if healthy, he would put up monster #s and be a possible great QB. That didn't happen. I mean he was relatively healthy and played better as the season went on but nothing that would demand 25+

Now his market is around 15-18 range. I wouldn't mind if they brought him back on a 5 year deal that is cap friendly because he is still pretty young and QBs can play well into their 30s. Anything higher than that range hell no.

But even before Doug err sorry meant Howie get anywhere close to signing him, the Eagles as an organization need to decide:

1. Are we close to contending? Yes? Ok then sign Bradford and draft a QB much later to groom
2. If not contending how far out are we with current team? Does it even make sense to sign Bradford if that money could be used to build up the lines and other spots while a rookie QB (1st round pick) is developed.

In today's NFL you are never really 5 years out. They have decent to good WRs (depends on how Agholor develops into year 2), have RBs (DeMarco is going to bounce back), good TEs, and subpar OLINE. D has pieces that will benefit automatically from the offense not running uptempo and quick 3 and outs.

If they bring back Bradford and build up the line, I think this can be a playoff contender. At this point though I don't care enough to just make the playoffs. I want the Eagles to finally have a franchise QB who is easily top 5-7 in the league. Who alone elevates them every season into SB contenders list.

For that reason I am leaning towards letting Bradford go and drafting a guy who can be the franchise QB. Best case obviously would be for Bradford to somehow turn into that QB while here in Philly, but I think at this point we have seen his ceiling.

Exactly. He is from the south and if he had a preference he would play in Texas. Also need to see what Chip does in SF. If Kaep is let go, Bradford would be in play there. Benefits both as Bradford was upset Chip was let go and said he was finally getting comfortable in the offense.

Lotta great points here I agree. I'm slightly higher on Bradford than you are, but we have a solid team with a few key FA signings that we have to lock down. If he's asking too much, he'll be let go. Ironically, if he does go, I can see the Eagles in the next few years looking similar to this year's Texans: a solid fringe playoff team built on a strong defense with some pieces at skill positions on offense that just needs a QB. Right now if we can lock down the D line, and add some depth at LB/safety, our defense should be good, assuming Schwartz brings more of that defensive magic. Then, we can take the next few years shoring up the O line, developing/drafting a speedy WR and potentially grabbing a new RB.

I still think my dream is that NKemdiche falls to us at 13 this year, because a line with him and Cox on it would be amazing. But if not, I have a feeling the Eagles are grabbing someone like Lynch to develop. Too many questions, I just want March here so FA can get going

Godslay

Banned
I'll direct you guys to my post on the Eagles cap situation:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=192599781&postcount=812

Sproles can also be outright cut for 3.5 million in savings and 1 million in dead money.

Estimated franchise tag number for a QB in 2016 is 18.5 million (I think need to research more).

EDIT: Looks like the tag would be between 20-25million.

I'm sure they can drum up the money if necessary or structure a deal that isn't necessarily team friendly if need be. If they want him, they'll get him, unless the cost is truly delusional.

I'm sure they can drum up the money if necessary or structure a deal that isn't necessarily team friendly if need be. If they want him, they'll get him, unless the cost is truly delusional.
Of course they *can* - whether they *should* is what's being debated, no?

That's still a 20 million chunk ripped out of about 34-37 million in cap space. You could address Cox and Curry by making their 2016 money in a long term contract primarily a bonus and spread it across the remaining life of the contract lowering their cap it. However, you have an entire rookie class to deal with (which is about 6-7 million) as well.

If I'm the Eagles, I wouldn't remotely entertain franchising Bradford. If he's your guy, wrap him up long term or let him go. I'm not committing 20 million dollars of cap space with a franchise tag unless I know that I'm nearing a long term deal and the tag is used to make sure he stays until that deal is completed.

You could always tag him & try to get a cap-manageable contract worked out. You'd need something like $25-30mm space to work out extensions for Bradford, Cox, and Curry, assuming you don't want to backload them heavily. If Bradford won't agree to an extension after the tag comes out, then trade him or just wait a year before extending Cox.

squicken

Thanks for reminding me how awful Rodgers was squicken!

Right. I think it is Ben Morris, but can't remember who said it. But he was talking about Phil Rivers and said something like "there's no way to quantify a QB playing well on a bad offense"

Rodgers certainly had more bad plays than I had seen in the past, but he was also bearing more weight than ever on carrying the offense. So how did he play relative to what he was asked to do? That's the whole tape/numbers argument

So if the great Aaron Rodgers can have some bad stats, then maybe some guys who have put up some bad numbers maybe aren't so bad after all?

Well in terms of pure booty

latin booty > anglo booty

I'm a boobs man though.

Hmm ok I'll keep an eye out for boobies then

Right. I think it is Ben Morris, but can't remember who said it. But he was talking about Phil Rivers and said something like "there's no way to quantify a QB playing well on a bad offense"

Rodgers certainly had more bad plays than I had seen in the past, but he was also bearing more weight than ever on carrying the offense. So how did he play relative to what he was asked to do? That's the whole tape/numbers argument

So if the great Aaron Rodgers can have some bad stats, then maybe some guys who have put up some bad numbers maybe aren't so bad after all?

This is such a difficult concept for people to accept...especially in the age of the quick twitter hot take. It's frustrating.

Also regarding Bradford...best solution...sign him to whatever he wants with an injury clause since his body is due for an injury anyways.

Spinluck

I think the solution was to sign Luck to a long term deal before this past season but it's going to be ludicrous when it does happen. Kicking the can down the road was a big mistake.

I'm kind of glad we didn't do this season.

Especially how this season turned out for him and us.

Godslay

Banned
Of course they *can* - whether they *should* is what's being debated, no?

Sure.

That depends on their internal view of the team. If they think they are a competitive team, then sure sign the QB to deal or franchise him.

If not, then they'll have to start from scratch and use that freed up QB money towards building the team and hoping that they can get a QB worth a shit on a rookie or cheap salary.

Given that the play has been so inconsistent in that division, I'm guessing that they'll lean (and have leaned from all indications) towards signing Bradford and thinking they are ready to compete for the division.

Unless of course there is a better/cheaper option at QB, which isn't looking likely.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

Doesn't that argument work a bit in reverse? Guys who aren't that great playing on a great team? I can think of a few guys who fit that description.

Yeah the tape on Rodgers this season is probably really interesting. I feel like he was mentally shook for the first time ever but I could be reading too much into it. Some of those passes he threw were just so damn inaccurate and not what we're used to seeing out of him. I don't know if all the drops or total lack of confidence in the offense destroyed his own self-confidence.

I think that's probably a train of thought you can use to apply to most every great quarterback. Phillip Rivers has been working with shit for years at this point and he's going to end up being the next Dan Marino without a ring.

Either way, I think the season ended on about as high of a note as we could have hoped for and maybe that momentum can be built onto going into next year.

Hmm ok I'll keep an eye out for boobies then

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom