• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 1 |OT| - A Fraud’s Quest for Gold

eznark

Banned
It shows incredibly poor foresight and planning from the league.

There are 31 other owners and they don't have to go along with this bullshit.

I mean do other teams in other sports have this much control over what goes on in the game? It just seems absurd to me in a basketball game that the home team would be in charge of doctoring the basketballs or anything else.

I will have to continue this discussion later as I have to go to court and I can check this thread while at lights or getting a coffee, but posting is probably out of the question.

Yes. 100%. It's no different than any other board. Purse strings make the call. Rob Manfred was hired by like 4 people.

Incredibly poor foresight? Friend, have you looked at revenues? Do you think the majority of owners give a flying fuck about what happens week to week when compared to the balance sheet? Please.

xMLetmo.jpg

bionic77

Yes. 100%. It's no different than any other board. Purse strings make the call. Rob Manfred was hired by like 4 people.

Incredibly poor foresight? Friend, have you looked at revenues? Do you think the majority of owners give a flying fuck about what happens week to week when compared to the balance sheet? Please.
How does enabling cheaters increase revenue though?

It seems like an easy fix. Just make it so that all or most of these things are controlled by someone from the league.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

eznark

Banned
How does enabling cheaters increase revenue though?

It seems like an easy fix. Just make it so that all or most of these things are controlled by someone from the league.

Why fix what ain't broke, is the point. Kraft just showed the other owners he is untouchable, why would they go after him for something he has been doing for a decade?

eznark

Banned
http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2...ew-week-1-glass-half-full-da-bears-still-suck

More from the best amateur writer in the business.

A lot of people like to tell you a bunch of reasons why you should be worried about every opponent your team will face this season. This often ignores the reality of the situation. Sure, you should be worried about facing the Seahawks or the Patriots or, you know, a good football team. That makes sense as when two good teams play the game is likely to be a down-to-the-wire nail-biter. And yes, sometimes some team of hot garbage will have a good week and beat a better team, but that's usually just random bad luck and there is no sense in getting bent out of shape about it.

The Bears are awful. There is no reason to worry about the Bears this weekend. Is there like a 10% chance they upset the Packers? Sure. Aaron Rodgers could get hurt, the Soldier Field "grass" could work its magic, etc., but there is no football reason to think the Bears have a snowball's chance in hell. So to put you at ease:

The Packers' quarterback is way better than the Bears' quarterback, and quarterback is the most important position in sports.

Do you really need to say more? I feel like people are forgetting about this. The Packers are bringing a flamethrower to this fight and the Bears are responding with a squirt gun.

The Bears' defense is truly horrible

Yes, they added the defensive-minded John Fox and the excellent defensive coordinator Vic Fangio, but consider also that the Bears' best defensive player (by 2014 Pro Football Focus grades), Jay Ratliff, is suspended for the first 3 games. Their 2nd best defender from last season was Stephen Paea, and he now plays for Washington. Their 3rd best was the retired Lance Briggs. 4th best? The now comically out-of-position and ancient Jared Allen. 5th best? Tim Jennings, now back with Lovie Smith in Tampa. Their 6th best player per aggregate PFF grades last year was Brandon Dunn, with a 2.2 grade over all of 62 total snaps, and almost all of that positive grade comes strictly from run defense. But hey, at least he's still on the team!

But what about the running game? Matt Forte is awesome!

Matt Forte career v. GB:
3.91 YPC, 67.4 YPG, 9.62 YPR

Eddie Lacy career v. CHI
4.24 YPC, 78.5 YPG, 15.67 YPR

Moving on.

Read it all, he's da best

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
My favorite part of this whole thing is the lie being spread that NFL is responsible for installing and maintaining the headsets when the manual clearly says otherwise.

Yet, somehow, wrong information was reported by the commentators last night. The NFL is inept.

ampere

Good game and AB got me a lot of fantasy points with that garbage time TD. Though it could have been close without those missed FGs

squicken

My favorite part of this whole thing is the lie being spread that NFL is responsible for installing and maintaining the headsets when the manual clearly says otherwise.

Yet, somehow, wrong information was reported by the commentators last night. The NFL is inept.

Like I said last night, it also doesn't matter if NE's gear didn't work either, if they knew ahead of time when the system was going to be up or down. I like how Pats fans get so upset about everyone complaining about this stuff. This is the consequence of being dishonest. It's why you teach your children not to tell lies!

eznark

Banned
Like I said last night, it also doesn't matter if NE's gear didn't work either, if they knew ahead of time when the system was going to be up or down. I like how Pats fans get so upset about everyone complaining about this stuff. This is the consequence of being dishonest. It's why you teach your children not to tell lies!

And it's why teams often practice without coms when heading to Gillette.

My favorite part of this whole thing is reporters pretending like this isn't something everyone has always known.

BigAT

Well when they brought up all the accusations made towards the Patriots by other teams, Al Michaels basically said it was a result of everyone being envious of their winning, so I would not expect them to say anything remotely critical if they are spouting bullshit like that.

eznark

Banned
Well when they brought up all the accusations made towards the Patriots by other teams, Al Michaels basically said it was a result of everyone being envious of their winning, so I would not expect them to say anything remotely critical if they are spouting bullshit like that.

They were actually pretty critical last night and definitely got a good number of digs in at the Patriots.

Tom Penny

Week 1 excuses already rolling in. The Steelers stategy of letting Gronk shit all over them was one I enjoyed thoroughly. I give them credit for thinking ouside the box.

eznark

Banned
Week 1 excuses already rolling in. The Steelers stategy of letting Gronk shit all over them was one I enjoyed thoroughly. I give them credit for thinking ouside the box.

Before any Patriots fans comment:

I guess this is Tomlin’s excuse for not covering Gronk the whole game?
Everyone does this, remember the Saints hacking into the visitors headsets!?!?!
Remember that one time Tomlin most likely cheated?
If we cheated then how did we WIN?
You’re all just jealous.
Did I miss anything?

pwou69d.gif

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Let me get this in here once again, before people start making uninformed statements.

rIHKBNn.png

https://twitter.com/bruceallen/status/642144672765378560
thats great that the NFL controls the headsets. Do you know how easy it is to jack with radio communications? All you need to know is the frequency, which is probably readily available.

Steelers who defended Gronk 5 catches.

yea, what if, and I know this is a big what if, the steelers were having problems getting play calls in and thus the defense wasn't ready. Conveniently the patriots were in no huddle during a lot of that, so regular signals were probably too late.

They just don't give a fuck anymore because they know the NFL can't come down on them again so soon I bet.
yup, theory I've heard this morning was this was essentially the patriots doing it on purpose as a huge middle finger to the league.

Going back to 2013, 34 to 31 loss to the patriots:

"Either teams are spying on us or scouting us," Smith told a group of reporters.

Smith said the Texans introduced wrinkles into their defense this week. He said that even though they'd never done those things in previous games, which would mean they weren't on film, the Patriots knew they were coming before they happened.

"I'm very suspicious," Smith said. "I just think it will be a big coincidence if that just happened by chance. I don't know for sure, but I just know it was something that we practiced this week."
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...n-texans-very-suspicious-new-england-patriots I seem to recall at the time a lot of people thinking it was just Antonio being a jackass or sore loser.

Sounds awfully familiar to what a lot of Rams players have said about the Superbowl game.

In other non news, some prick cut me off and was weaving in and out of traffic. Typically he had a Eagles logo. I've maintained the majority of our asshole drivers in Houston are New Yorkers, maybe I need to expand that to east coasters.

464 yards and 21 points? Terrible. The only thing that stops the Steelers offense is the Steelers offense.

It's time for the defense to just play man-to-man across the board. The db's can't cover and can't tackle. Top that off with not knowing their assignments. Only giving up 28 points is a monumental achievement.

On the bright side, a couple of made field goals and some awareness from DHB and that's a completely different game.

That game was so frustrating Steelers made like 10 huge mistakes and still were right there with them. Headset fuckery or not the Steelers coaches should have been prepared for that game, and they were not.

Plinko

LOL Jim Caldwell just gave a "no comment" when asked about headset issues he experienced in New England. It happens to every visiting team.

Navy Bean

That game was so frustrating Steelers made like 10 huge mistakes and still were right there with them. Headset fuckery or not the Steelers coaches should have been prepared for that game, and they were not.

Yeah, as a Steelers fan it was frustrating because it seemed like the offense was playing well enough to make it a game. Just stupid mistakes, coaching gaffes, etc. Brady was awesome and efficient as usual and the Steelers D sucks, but "holding" NE to 28 points is probably all you could ask for.

The headset issue is silly to me as it seems like every team expects that to happen...just prepare for it and move on. Plus, it didn't impact getting plays called in.

KHarvey16

thats great that the NFL controls the headsets. Do you know how easy it is to jack with radio communications? All you need to know is the frequency, which is probably readily available.

Getting FM audio to bleed into the headset signal would require far more than simply knowing the frequency. It would be practically impossible to do it that way.

Striker

Brady only has 22 td's and 3 int against the Steelers now.They should have kept Lebeau.
They had him last year and they weren't very good, either.

They basically have Heyward, Timmons, and Shazier. It's similar to the Giants defense and they lack impact players.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Getting FM audio to bleed into the headset signal would require far more than simply knowing the frequency. It would be practically impossible to do it that way.
actually it wouldn't.

The Texans radio producer just came on the air and said its happened to Kubiak at reliant stadium, but they were able to fix it very quickly.

I've had radio bleed just from my headphone wires while listening to streaming radio. Fun fact, you can make an FM antenna simply by coiling up enough wire.

Radio frequencies can bleed and interfere all the time. I used to race RC cars, we were always careful to be on very different frequencies.

But I'm sure you have your radio degree from MIT that you got this summer after you got your fluid dynamics degree from Caltech.

Trust me, I know more about radio frequencies than you do.

Ralph has some more details:

Ralph Vacchiano ‏@RVacchianoNYDN 2m2 minutes ago
The deal also includes a $31 million signing bonus and a reduced 2015 salary that presumably will clear cap space.

Ralph Vacchiano ‏@RVacchianoNYDN 4m4 minutes ago
The Giants and Eli Manning have completed his four-year, $84 million contract, complete with a no-trade clause and $65 million in guarantees

KHarvey16

actually it wouldn't.

The Texans radio producer just came on the air and said its happened to Kubiak at reliant stadium, but they were able to fix it very quickly.

I've had radio bleed just from my headphone wires while listening to streaming radio. Fun fact, you can make an FM antenna simply by coiling up wire.

Radio frequencies can bleed and interfere all the time. I used to race RC cars, we were always careful to be on very different frequencies.

But I'm sure you have your radio degree from MIT that you got this summer after you got your fluid dynamics degree from Caltech.

Trust me, I know more about radio frequencies than you do.

Your headphones plugged into your PC carry analog data. RC cars can interfere if they're on the same frequency because it's the same data being transmitted. Digital, encrypted wireless headsets are not RC car remotes.

How many more people who have no idea what the fuck they're talking about want to try and chime in here?

bionic77

Your headphones plugged into your PC carry analog data. RC cars can interfere if they're on the same frequency because it's the same data being transmitted. Digital, encrypted wireless headsets are not RC car remotes.

How many more people who have no idea what the fuck they're talking about want to try and chime in here?
It's going to take some time for more Pats fans to come in. Most of them work or are hung over.

You are on your own until then.

Top Bottom