• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 1 |OT| - A Fraud’s Quest for Gold

TheFatOne

He played all of 11 snaps.

That makes sense then. I remembered seeing him, and thought he played more. For some reason I thought he played more than he did. Did Easley ever come back? I could have sworn I saw him come back for a play or two unless I'm mistaking him for someone else.

Touche

I think you're being way too harsh, but yeah, Ninkovich wasn't great yesterday. Not much pressure, failed to set the edge or contain Williams. Sheard was exciting and I was also impressed with him in the run game considering his rep is actually as a pass rusher.

You're being overboard with Jones, though. Pass rushers with his talent and discipline aren't that easily replaceable. Mayo only played 11 snaps - mostly situational/game plan I think. The LBs are legit though.
I've seen enough of Jones so far to know he isn't the guy. He just is not consistent enough. You get flashes with Jones, but not really any consistency. One game he looks like a defensive player of the year and other games he's a ghost. If he was even remotely consistent I would be fine with Jones, but he isn't and that hurts the Pats in the long run. It's the same with Ninkovich. You can go long stretches in a game when both guys do nothing. Ninkovich I'm absolutely done with though. He isn't great at any one thing, and overall hurts the Pats against better competition. Collins was rough yesterday, but I'm not really worried about that. Mayo playing low snap counts was surprising.

KHarvey16

Where is your source on how the headsets transmit data? Googling it just gives a bunch of bullshit marketing speak from Bose.

And digital can still experience interference. For the interference to be understandable and not just noise, all that would have to happen is for the some encoder standard to be employed with sufficient power on the frequency the device uses. There are a few standard encoders in wide use across many industries so overlap can happen.

The interference was audio bleeding into normal comms. You couldn't just overpower the original, you'd have to intercept the original, mix in the FM audio and retransmit...all while somehow stopping the original encrypted wireless data from reaching the headset.

I don't need to know anything specific about the headset or the data beyond knowing it's digital and encrypted. You can't interfere and make it play audio on the other end in addition to the original comm audio. The framing of the data and standard error correction and checksum methods prevent that.

That makes sense then. I remembered seeing him, and thought he played more. For some reason I thought he played more than he did. Did Easley ever come back? I could have sworn I saw him come back for a play or two unless I'm mistaking him for someone else.

Nope, he never came back. No word yet on how serious the injury is either.

Aldon Smith signing a 1yr deal with Raiders

lol, I thought this was a joke.

Just to add fuel to the fire.

Steelers got roasted for the gadget play the opening series last night, but it was a 1st and 10 call in 12 personnel and the Steelers had been running almost exclusively to that point. Patriots dropped 8 into coverage.

It was also during the time that the Steelers headsets were acting up.

TheFatOne

Was really impressed with the pats three rookies yesterday. They were just dreadful in the preseason. It helps that the Steelers defense is garbage, but they were good overall. The real test is coming next week anyways.
Nope, he never came back. No word yet on how serious the injury is either.

lol, I thought this was a joke.

Yea thought that was most likely the case. Easley was the guy I was looking forward to the most. He looked damn explosive in preseason :(

Colasante

No, he went to the locker room and didn't come back. Who knows how serious his injury will prove to be, but at this point it seems like a relief that it was his hip and not one of his knees again.

Cool that after bringing the 2TE offense en vogue a few years ago, the Patriots are now using this 4TE offense to success. I think I read that there were only 6 snaps last season in which a team used 4TEs, and the Patriots used that formation 6 times last night alone.

No wonder they're overpriced trash.

:jnc

If the Steelers were anywhere in the vicinity of being competitive on defense last night, I might be more annoyed with/interested in headsetgate. But that was such a sad defensive display that Tomlin and Co. have more important things to worry about.

TheFatOne

No, he went to the locker room and didn't come back. Who knows how serious his injury will prove to be, but at this point it seems like a relief that it was his hip and not one of his knees again.

Cool that after bringing the 2TE offense en vogue a few years ago, the Patriots are now using this 4TE offense to success. I think I read that there were only 6 snaps last season in which a team used 4TEs, and the Patriots used that formation 6 times last night alone.

I really like that formation they threw out a couple times last night in the redzone. Everyone starts on the line, and then Gronk and Chandler motion out wide. If Chandler can just be the same guy he was in Buffalo he will be very good for this offense.

Respect

You know I don't know why I overrated the Pats front seven in the offseason when I don't even like Jones or Ninkovich. Ninkovich is pure fucking garbage. He puts up nice stats against shit teams, and has a play here or there against the better teams. I'm just really tired of him. He doesn't do anything particularly well. He doesn't rush the passer well, he doesn't cover well, he doesn't set the edge well, and a bunch of other stuff. Jones is another guy who I don't like at all. Same as Ninkovich except he has more athletic talent. He wasn't bad yesterday, but he wasn't good either. Sheard I like even if it's just in the run game. Seems like he is damn good in the run game, but I would have to see how he was before for the Browns. Pats need to DEs to replace those two guys. They aren't bad players, but they aren't very good either. Just mediocre players that are holding the defense back overall. They need to find replacements at both spots.

Edit:Also did Mayo even play yesterday? Dude was invisible all game.

Yeah - defense (particulary the front 7) was pretty poor. Steelers stopped themselves more than anything. Secondary wasn't a strength going in and them giving up alot of yards up wasn't too surprising, but the front 7 getting gashed on most runs and putting very little pressure on Ben overall was a bit of a disappointment.

Hopefully the front 7 comes around because the secondary probably won't improve much.

So the Steelers are filling a formal grievance according to ESPN radio. Is there anything that can come of it? Could the league punish the Pats in some way for this?

Colasante

Yeah - defense (particulary the front 7) was pretty poor. Steelers stopped themselves more than anything. Secondary wasn't going to be strong and them giving up alot of yards up wasn't too surprising, but the front 7 getting gashed on most runs and putting very little pressure on Ben overall was a bit of a disappointment.

Hopefully the front 7 comes around because the secondary probably won't improve much.

I'm not overly worried about the front seven, as long as Easley comes back. Linebacker Geneo Grissom played a lot of snaps at defensive tackle, so it's no surprise he got pushed around a lot, and Ninkovich consistently failing to set the edge is an anomaly that I don't see becoming a regular issue. If Easley comes back, he and Chris Jones will make a nice interior pass rush duo, and Siliga and Branch are good run stuffers. Sheard looked really good, and Trey Flowers wasn't even part of the rotation yet.

NFL security is investigating Pittsburgh Steelers tight ends coach James Daniel for allegedly assaulting and verbally accosting a New England Patriots fan on the way to the locker room before halftime, according to league sources.

A league official confirmed the NFL is aware of the incident and is looking into it. A Steelers spokesman said NFL security has informed them about the incident and the team is also investigating.

The incident in question occurred before and after halftime. Daniel, who was on the way to the Steelers' locker room, was seen allegedly kicking a Patriots fan in the back of his leg and yelling at the fan in front of witnesses.

By the time Daniel returned to the coaching booth after halftime, police and NFL security were waiting for him. Once the coach was identified by witnesses, and police approached him about controlling his behavior, Daniel began shouting at the police officer, according to witnesses.

Let's see if this incident gets a fraction of the coverage of this inane headset shit.

Tom Penny

Just to add fuel to the fire.

Steelers got roasted for the gadget play the opening series last night, but it was a 1st and 10 call in 12 personnel and the Steelers had been running almost exclusively to that point. Patriots dropped 8 into coverage.

It was also during the time that the Steelers headsets were acting up.
I heard the Pats ran no huddle too. They never do that..

From the original article..

There is a rule against “attempting to disconcert Team A at snap by words or signals,” but a routine line slide wouldn’t seem to expressly violate that. An NFL spokesman did not immediately respond to a request seeking clarification early Friday morning.

In 2012, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers were flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct under the rule against disconcerting signals for shifting their entire field-goal block unit in an attempt to make the New Orleans Saints false start.

In 2010, Indianapolis Colts defensive lineman Antonio Johnson was flagged for calling out signals as the Tennessee Titans snapped on an extra point. Three weeks before that game, Patriots quarterback Tom Brady screamed at officials after a kneeldown play, saying a Colts player was saying “hut, hut” in the middle of his snap count.

Seems pretty ambiguous. So I guess it's up to interpretation of the referees. Looks like the Steelers have to take the L on that one.

hie

Getting FM audio to bleed into the headset signal would require far more than simply knowing the frequency. It would be practically impossible to do it that way.

Not true, actually. All you need is an RF scanner to find the frequencies and a wireless receiver set to that freq. You could easily pass a radio signal or any source through that receiver. The result would be intermittent audio due to the receivers fighting for that RF channel. Which sounds like what is described. It is quite common and very easy to do.

Zeke

In the same quote he says they saw the Pats do it on film lols This team lol
Yea and Ben calling it an "unwritten rule" is pretty Wtf. I'd love to see a team blow that line shift up in a game. Imagine half the dline getting pancaked and a rb running 30 or 40 yards to the end zone.

KHarvey16

Not true, actually. All you need is an RF scanner to find the frequencies and a wireless receiver set to that freq. You could easily pass a radio signal or any source through that receiver. The result would be intermittent audio due to the receivers fighting for that RF channel. Which sounds like what is described. It is quite common and very easy to do.

No, it was audio overlayed on top of the voice comms. Also the recievers can't be "set" to another frequency.

The FM signal coupled into the analog end and was transmitted. This is what the NFL fixed in their equipment, according to their statement.

I am so sick of talking about the Pats. I'm mad at them for not making sure the Dteekers headsets were functioning because now we have to talk about them more

Them young Raider's boy!! MACK, JELLY, WILLIAM, ALDON and if Mario Edward Jr. play like he been playing during pre-season, he can be Tuck replacement if a few years ...

LevelNth

Banned
Will be shocking if the league doesn't suspend Aldon for the year at the very least. Multiple offender, just came off a 9-gamer last season, latest offense included other charges along with the DUI.

He's pretty much at the same stage as Justin Blackmon and Josh Gordon were.

Top Bottom