• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 1 |OT| - A Fraud’s Quest for Gold

spyder_ur

Week 1 excuses already rolling in. The Steelers stategy of letting Gronk shit all over them was one I enjoyed thoroughly. I give them credit for thinking ouside the box.

They thought it was illegal to cover Gronk.

Damn that call out on the Steelers website. Pats have to respond right?

Belichick kind of did, but I'd say that's enough and it's really on the NFL to handle this. Honestly, I'd expect warnings and maybe small fines for the Steelers, if only to dissuade other teams.

The Patriots literally have the whole NFL on tilt (to use a poker term) - behaving and acting irrationally. It's incredible to watch.

Few takeaways from the game since I was out and not posting:

-Brady was crazy sharp - not that surprising, but I kind of expected to see a bit of rust. Gronk is still the best offensive weapon in the game.
-Lewis seems like he's fit perfectly into the Shane Vereen role
-Interior of the Oline held up pretty well and I think Jackson could be really really good at guard. They missed Blount's power at times.
-On Defense - To me the biggest positive was that they were forcing negative or neutral plays. Even though they didn't sack Ben much they were forcing some bad throws. The LB corps is so versatile and it's really exciting to watch.

Interesting that he didn't actually deny any of the allegations.

First Belichick presser?

eznark

Banned
It's going to take some time for more Pats fans to come in. Most of them work or are hung over.

You are on your own until then.

anuxi_sunstrike.gif

So my idiot cousin the pats fan texts me during the game (that i didn't watch since I was in class) telling me how butler is shutting down brown and I got worried that I got few points in fantasy, then I see 11 targets, 9 recs, 133 yards, 1 TD. 19 points. Pat fans are the worst.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Your headphones plugged into your PC carry analog data. RC cars can interfere if they're on the same frequency because it's the same data being transmitted. Digital, encrypted wireless headsets are not RC car remotes.

How many more people who have no idea what the fuck they're talking about want to try and chime in here?
I think its just you right now.

BigAT

Why would they need to clear 2015 cap space?

Yeah, I don't really understand that part. They already have a reasonable amount of space available and JPP's money comes off the books each week. It's not like there is anyone big available to sign.

KHarvey16

I think its just you right now.

No, it's obvious you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about and are totally out of your depth. Comparing analog RC car radios to digital encrypted headsets? Analog FM coupling into headphone wires is just like this scenario? It's embarrassing and you don't even know enough to actually be embarrassed.

eznark

Banned
^ This has gone from adorably sad to pathetically humiliating

Yeah, I don't really understand that part. They already have a reasonable amount of space available and JPP's money comes off the books each week. It's not like there is anyone big available to sign.

Probably not intentional, or at least not the cause of the deferred salary. TVM brah! Eli is no dummy. Pay me $60m 2020 dollars, not $60m 2015 dollars.

dionysus

Yaldog
actually it wouldn't.

The Texans radio producer just came on the air and said its happened to Kubiak at reliant stadium, but they were able to fix it very quickly.

I've had radio bleed just from my headphone wires while listening to streaming radio. Fun fact, you can make an FM antenna simply by coiling up enough wire.

Radio frequencies can bleed and interfere all the time. I used to race RC cars, we were always careful to be on very different frequencies.

But I'm sure you have your radio degree from MIT that you got this summer after you got your fluid dynamics degree from Caltech.

Trust me, I know more about radio frequencies than you do.

Not to mention it wouldn't have to be the FM frequency they would be picking up, could be a fundamental or harmonic frequency of the FM signal or even an intermediate carrier signal before it makes it way to the FM tower.

Of course if it is intentional it would be super easy to pick up a feed of the audio in its analog or digital forms before it ever makes it to the FM station, do the appropriate conversions, and put it onto the frequency the headsets operate on.

Striker

It rolls over I thought. They should have plenty of money for cap space next off-season anyway. There won't be a new deal for JPP and Prince is in his final year, but he's been injured so much you may not want to commit so much cash to a guy that gets hurt so much. Then again... Beason...

So they can fit Kam Chancellor under the cap when they finally trade for him.

That's not happening, obviously.:) They had a little over 8 million in cap space prior to the deal so its likely just to give them more cushion as the season progresses. Prince Amukamara is due for a new deal if he can stay healthy and plays well next season.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
It rolls over I thought.

Yeah, but then Eli's cap hit goes up next year, too.

So they can fit Kam Chancellor under the cap when they finally trade for him.

They had a little over 8 million in cap space prior to the deal so its likely just to give them more cushion as the season progresses. Prince Amukamara is due for a new deal if he can stay healthy and plays well next season.

It does give space for a trade or a signing. Big signings don't generally get done in-season, though.

KHarvey16

Not to mention it wouldn't have to be the FM frequency they would be picking up, could be a fundamental or harmonic frequency of the FM signal or even an intermediate carrier signal before it makes it way to the FM tower.

Of course if it intentional it would be super easy to pick up a feed of the audio in its analog or digital forms before it ever makes it to the FM station, do the appropriate conversions, and put it onto the frequency the headsets operate on.

You can't "put it on the frequency the headphones operate on." It's digital and encrypted and doesn't work that way.

spyder_ur

So my idiot cousin the pats fan texts me during the game (that i didn't watch since I was in class) telling me how butler is shutting down brown and I got worried that I got few points in fantasy, then I see 11 targets, 9 recs, 133 yards, 1 TD. 19 points. Pat fans are the worst.

He was never shutting him down during the game, although I think he played him pretty well. Brown is just a great receiver and made some incredible catches with coverage draped on him. What a player.

And maybe 30 of those yards plus the TD came on the last drive of the game in the last 5 minutes.

But carry on with the 'idiot Pats fan' stuff.

captive

No, it's obvious you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about and are totally out of your depth. Comparing analog RC car radios to digital encrypted headsets? Analog FM coupling into headphone wires is just like this scenario? It's embarrassing and you don't even know enough to actually be embarrassed.

this will be my last post responding to you, cause you are the one that doesn't know what your talking about.

Do you think the steelers are lying? Why would they lie? Do you think the numerous other coaches and teams that have said the same thing happens to them all the time at Foxboro are all lying?

gutshot

You can't "put it on the frequency the headphones operate on." It's digital and encrypted and doesn't work that way.

Deadspin laid out a scenario of how the bleed may have occured. Take a look:

Which brings us back to Thursday night, and asking how a deciphered audio intrusion entered what is allegedly an encrypted, digital system. After all, the power/grounding issues the NFL blames for the problem should and could not exist in an “all-digital system.” A signal intrusion due to grounding or electrical problems could, by definition, only exist with analog audio.

But the NFL’s communication system isn’t, entirely, digital.

Assume the Gillette Stadium visitors’ coaching booth utilizes an analog headset amplifier—commonly called a Telex box, after the best known manufacturer of them—and that Telex box suffered from either faulty construction or poor electrical grounding in the booth. The Patriots’ radio booth too featured a mixer or other device with faulty construction (or the booth was improperly grounded). That would provide a path for the radio audio to get into the Telex box, and thus into the Steelers’ communication system. That’s the simplest explanation, albeit the one that implicates the Patriots (or their electricians) as possibly exposing people to millions of volts of electricity in the circumstance of a lightning strike or power surge.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
this will be my last post responding to you, cause you are the one that doesn't know what your talking about.

Do you think the steelers are lying? Why would they lie? Do you think the numerous other coaches and teams that have said the same thing happens to them all the time at Foxboro are all lying?

He's actually making the case that the P*ts willfully and knowingly cheated. Let him do it.

Tom Penny

Brown doesnt get shut down by anyone. If you're in ppr congrats on 20+ points a week. Hes the best in the game. Good at everything.

KHarvey16

I know the radios had problems. The problems were due to analog FM coupling into improperly grounded analog circuits in the base stations. This, again according to the statement from the NFL, was identified in equipment controlled by the NFL and fixed.

There is no knowing the goddamn frequency and sending FM radio signals to play analog audio on top of a digital signal, it was a simple setup issue any lab tech could identify and solve. Interfering with the wireless stream in the way you suggest would've practically impossible and way, way, way harder than just disabling communication altogether. It makes no sense.

TheFatOne

You know I don't know why I overrated the Pats front seven in the offseason when I don't even like Jones or Ninkovich. Ninkovich is pure fucking garbage. He puts up nice stats against shit teams, and has a play here or there against the better teams. I'm just really tired of him. He doesn't do anything particularly well. He doesn't rush the passer well, he doesn't cover well, he doesn't set the edge well, and a bunch of other stuff. Jones is another guy who I don't like at all. Same as Ninkovich except he has more athletic talent. He wasn't bad yesterday, but he wasn't good either. Sheard I like even if it's just in the run game. Seems like he is damn good in the run game, but I would have to see how he was before for the Browns. Pats need to DEs to replace those two guys. They aren't bad players, but they aren't very good either. Just mediocre players that are holding the defense back overall. They need to find replacements at both spots.

Edit:Also did Mayo even play yesterday? Dude was invisible all game.

KHarvey16

That's exactly what I'm saying. This interference with the wireless signal is so dumb even the deadspin author realized it. What he doesn't address is why you would choose such a roundabout, easily solved, less effective way of interfering when the access to equipment and ability to make changes at will required to do it would mean you could just disable it completely. Again, it's nonsensical.

After sleeping on it, i'm convinced.

The other owners have declared war on the Pats. I fully expect all the little "problems" that were always rumored to happen at Patriots games but never discussed to be talked about openly by teams now. Last night was the first shot.

Zeke

Well this page has turned into a shit show. I do wonder if the pats cheating narrative will be a thing all season. Good thing the pats have to travel to Dallas this season. Brady is gonna murder our shit filled secondary :(

spyder_ur

"Idiot cousin." Christ you massholes are touchy.

Touche

You know I don't know why I overrated the Pats front seven in the offseason when I don't even like Jones or Ninkovich. Ninkovich is pure fucking garbage. He puts up nice stats against shit teams, and has a play here or there against the better teams. I'm just really tired of him. He doesn't do anything particularly well. He doesn't rush the passer well, he doesn't cover well, he doesn't set the edge well, and a bunch of other stuff. Jones is another guy who I don't like at all. Same as Ninkovich except he has more athletic talent. He wasn't bad yesterday, but he wasn't good either. Sheard I like even if it's just in the run game. Seems like he is damn good in the run game, but I would have to see how he was before for the Browns. Pats need to DEs to replace those two guys. They aren't bad players, but they aren't very good either. Just mediocre players that are holding the defense back overall. They need to find replacements at both spots.

Edit:Also did Mayo even play yesterday? Dude was invisible all game.

I think you're being way too harsh, but yeah, Ninkovich wasn't great yesterday. Not much pressure, failed to set the edge or contain Williams. Sheard was exciting and I was also impressed with him in the run game considering his rep is actually as a pass rusher.

You're being overboard with Jones, though. Pass rushers with his talent and discipline aren't that easily replaceable. Mayo only played 11 snaps - mostly situational/game plan I think. The LBs are legit though.

eznark

Banned
Well this page has turned into a shit show. I do wonder if the pats cheating narrative will be a thing all season. Good thing the pats have to travel to Dallas this season. Brady is gonna murder our shit filled secondary :(

It's been a thing for 15 years, why would it be any different today?

captive

you forgot the most damning part.

The broadcast was so loud that the Steelers coaches were unable to communicate, and the NFL rule is that if one team’s headsets are not working the other team is supposed to be forced to take their headsets off. It’s what the NFL calls the Equity Rule. Strangely enough, whenever an NFL representative proceeded to the New England sideline to shut down their headsets, the Steelers headsets cleared. Then as the representative walked away from the New England sideline, the Steelers’ headsets again started to receive the Patriots game broadcast.
Coincidence only.

Unrelated, but related to the discussions yesterday about coaches and GMs being conservative and stuck in their ways:
This year, Bose shipped about 50 headsets to each stadium, for use by coaches on the sideline and in the booth, medical and officiating personnel. Teams travel with their own headsets in a special case and many coaches, creatures of habit and superstition, have taken to labeling their headset, particularly if their teams win when they wear a specific one. [...] The NFL mandates that every coach have exactly the same headset, and that any modification be made available to all teams so that no competitive advantage can be gained.
like really, I thought weird superstitions was just baseball people.

KHarvey16

you forgot the most damning part.

Coincidence only.

Unrelated, but related to the discussions yesterday about coaches and GMs being conservative and stuck in their ways:
like really, I thought weird superstitions was just baseball people.

NFL statement said it was their equipment with the problem and they fixed it. Maybe they're in on it too.

dionysus

Yaldog

Where is your source on how the headsets transmit data? Googling it just gives a bunch of bullshit marketing speak from Bose.

And digital can still experience interference. For the interference to be understandable and not just noise, all that would have to happen is for the same encoder standard to be employed with sufficient power on the frequency the device uses. There are a few standard encoders in wide use across many industries so overlap can happen.

Top Bottom