• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 1 |OT| - A Fraud’s Quest for Gold

squicken

#
Also, is the AFC East the strongest division in football? I'm gonna go with yes.

I still think it is the NFCW. Even if SF is bad, STL won't be worse than mediocre, and AZ and SEA will be good. I'm not sold on MIA or NYJ, since WAS and CLE are two of the three worst teams in the league. Bills=Rams

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I only got to watch the 4th quarter last night but it was still just enough to make me sick.

1) So the defense looks great to start the game, the first three quarters, Dez goes out and they subsequently allow Dallas to drive all the way down the field for a TD twice in the fourth? What the fuck is that nonsense?

2) The hilariously bad clock management at the end was beyond Andy Reid levels. They were snapping the ball with between 10 and 20 seconds left on the play clock. The Giants are notorious for being terrible about letting the clock run all the way down before snapping the ball but they were super efficient at the absolute wrong time. Crazy.

3) The insane really really stupid decision to throw on 3rd and 1. I get that your eyes get wide and you want the TD and the win but nothing came easy on offense in that game for the Giants, why think that spot would work? Kill clock all day there and extend the lead if you don't score a TD with a FG. All I could think about while watching that stupid play is Eli and the entire Giants bench yelling at Bradshaw to kneel at the goal line in SB 46.

4) Dez is out, you have Amukamara and DRC who had been playing very well up to that point on the outside and you give zero help up the middle of the field with that much time left where it's an option? Prevent defense prevents you from winning and all that. Further he defense is gassed while on its heels for 70 yards and no time out call at the first incompletion? Cmon man what are you guys doing on the sideline?

Hammer24

Banned
Yo hammer, come out and plaaaaaay!

We have to stay in the hospital for at least another week, our young man was a bit early. So I only have spotty inet access.

Now for some football:
I said it before the draft, after the draft and the whole offseason long - FIRE LOVIE/LICHT!
The talent level is abysmal, and that starts with the rapist at QB.
Look, we Bucs fans are used to bad seasons, lousy teams and debatable coaching staffs. But for most of the time we still had reasons to be proud of our teams, because the were seriously good guys doing a lot of great stuff in the community. The proverbial posterboys you wouldn´t mind putting a poster in your kids bedroom.
Now we´ve repeatedly been told that this wouldn´t be important, that talent would be much more important than offfield behaviour.
I don´t buy that. Never have, never will. I don´t give a fuck if Mariota is going to flame out and Winston is going to have a stellar career (most likely at another team). We took the wrong guy. We have the wrong staff.
FIRE LOVIE/LICHT!!!

Jarnet87

We have to stay in the hospital for at least another week, our young man was a bit early. So I only have spotty inet access.

Now for some football:
I said it before the draft, after the draft and the whole offseason long - FIRE LOVIE/LICHT!
The talent level is abysmal, and that starts with the rapist at QB.
Look, we Bucs fans are used to bad seasons, lousy teams and debatable coaching staffs. But for most of the time we still had reasons to be proud of our teams, because the were seriously good guys doing a lot of great stuff in the community. The proverbial posterboys you wouldn´t mind putting a poster in your kids bedroom.
Now we´ve repeatedly been told that this wouldn´t be important, that talent would be much more important than offfield behaviour.
I don´t buy that. Never have, never will. I don´t give a fuck if Mariota is going to flame out and Winston is going to have a stellar career (most likely at another team). We took the wrong guy. We have the wrong staff.
FIRE LOVIE/LICHT!!!

When we fire Lovie and Licht at the end of the season, I want a god dam offensive minded coach for once. It's not like our defense is any good so enough with the emphasis on D. We went from Dungy to Gruden who was able to put it together for one season and nothing else. From Gruden to Morris, Morris to Schiano, Schiano to Smith. For fucks sake can we get a head coach who had a mindset other then run 2 times pass on third and long and punt.

It's one game but I look at all the problems we have here and think would Mariota have had that kind of performance if the they flipped teams.

That Seattle loss in OT has got to sting. But God damn, Foles actually looked like a good QB out there.

I was actually stunned that the Colts couldn't get anything done against the Bills. Just shows you need more than a caveman QB to win.

Holy shit at the thrashing the Bucs took. God that team is trash. Winston is gonna be there for two seasons and bust out like Freeman, the poor guy.

Fuck Hoyer. *chug chug chug*

Stafford and Cutler looking like trash? Gee, what a surprise there. This is my surprised face. :|

And that is all. Good morning fellow degenerates.

prag16

Banned
Okay, Giants blew that horribly.

BUT I need an explanation for why the clock was stopped after the declined offside on Beckham's catch inside the 5 (maybe something similar on the play where Flowers got his helmet yanked off too). By jumping offside, Dallas basically got a free timeout. Huge blunder by the officials. The Giants took the piss the rest of the way, but it shouldn't even have come to that if the refs could properly operate the clock.

BigAT

I woke up this morning and there was actually a short period of time where I completely forgot what happened last night.

The respite was incredibly brief though and the rage kicked in a few moments later. Fucking stupid team.

eznark

Banned
Mariotta is Namath+Marino, Abdullah is either Barry Sanders or Eric Metcalf. Does anyone overreact more than the Around the NFL guys?

I woke up this morning and there was actually a short period of time where I completely forgot what happened last night.

The respite was incredibly brief though and the rage kicked in a few moments later. Fucking stupid team.

MP0tS9I.gif

naZqhHs.gif

Who do you cheer for?

Edit: Oh.

kmag

Okay, Giants blew that horribly.

BUT I need an explanation for why the clock was stopped after the declined offside on Beckham's catch inside the 5 (maybe something similar on the play where Flowers got his helmet yanked off too). By jumping offside, Dallas basically got a free timeout. Huge blunder by the officials. The Giants took the piss the rest of the way, but it shouldn't even have come to that if the refs could properly operate the clock.

The Beckham catch is well known gap in the rules which they've never fixed for some bizarre reason. You'd think the clock would start when the penalty is declined at the discretion of the team with the ball.

To be honest, I'm surprised that more isn't being made of the absolute mugging the Dallas LB gave the Giants TE who was attempting to run an out on the 3rd down throw. The LB just latched on and didn't let go the entire bootleg hence there being no receiver for Manning to throw to. Didn't realise you could just tackle receivers.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Last 5 min of a game (or maybe each half?) the clock stops for a called penalty no matter what.

eznark

Banned
Rosenthal and Wessling are dumber than ever already.

Wessling saying the Steve Smith catch was impossible and quoting QBR during every game discussion.

Rosenthal saying the Packer offense struggled.

Amazing lack of football intelligence.

There's no reason Mallet shouldn't be the starter. Hoyer's ceiling is 53 percent completion percentage and the ability to look perpetually middle aged.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
There's no reason Mallet shouldn't be the starter. Hoyer's ceiling is 53 percent completion percentage and the ability to look perpetually middle aged.

yea hoyer was awful yesterday. Rather have gotten that out of the way the first game than let him play ok or even win a few games.
Freaking Ted Johnson was being an apologist yesterday on the post game. he says "yea but the defense didn't play well either" yea well no shit when the fucking offense gifts the other teams offense the ball on the 6 and 13 respectively. Even former Center and Texan Chris Meyers says "yea but you can't expect the defense to hold up when the offense does nothing and just keeps giving them back the ball."

That said, i'd be shocked if Mallet is starting this week.

prag16

Banned
The Beckham catch is well known gap in the rules which they've never fixed for some bizarre reason. You'd think the clock would start when the penalty is declined at the discretion of the team with the ball.

To be honest, I'm surprised that more isn't being made of the absolute mugging the Dallas LB gave the Giants TE who was attempting to run an out on the 3rd down throw. The LB just latched on and didn't let go the entire bootleg hence there being no receiver for Manning to throw to. Didn't realise you could just tackle receivers.

I can swear I've seen them wind the clock after declined penalties numerous times in other instances and games...

Regarding the hold on Fells, yeah, that was egregious too. Collinsworth said "well maybe they'd have thrown PI if Eli threw the ball closer to them instead of into the stands", but doesn't matter; still should've been a holding penalty.

But in the end, the offense didn't close the deal, and the defense allowed Dallas to march the length of the field with ZERO and I mean ZERO resistance twice in the last half quarter. Didn't really deserve to win in light of that (even though they should have).

Last 5 min of a game (or maybe each half?) the clock stops for a called penalty no matter what.

Just looked it up, and you're right. Last 5 minutes of 2nd half, last 2 minutes of 1st half, the clock does NOT restart after a declined penalty.

That's pretty absurd imo, and a bizarre loophole in the rules. Dallas essentially got a free timeout by jumping offside.

brentech

Rosenthal and Wessling are dumber than ever already.

Wessling saying the Steve Smith catch was impossible and quoting QBR during every game discussion.

Rosenthal saying the Packer offense struggled.

Amazing lack of football intelligence.
Oh, they struggled. To get on the field.

Some thoughts about Week 1:

Buffalo looked good but Indy looked terrible.
Stafford missed a lot of throws, especially to Tate.
Brandon Marshall was the MVP of Week 1. Touchdown over Haden and forcing a strip after an interception when down 7-0. Guy seems like a different player.
Seattle might be in trouble.
The Jets could be a contender if that offense competes.
Eli was a poor decision maker last night.
Denver's offense has to get better.
Arizona had a gutsy win.

dionysus

Yaldog
The contrast between Payton and Arians was huge last night.

Payton decides to punt with a couple minutes remaining instead of going for it on 4th and 7, admittedly deep in NO territory, putting the blame for the loss on the defense and Rob Ryan. A defense that is week and not trustworthy instead of Brees and an offense that looked competent. It reeked of the conservative conventional wisdom and already having given up the game. To their credit even the announcers disagreed.

Arians, on the other hand, says fuck conservative conventional wisdom and calls a pass play instead of trying to run out the clock. This catches the defense flat footed and leads to a TD. Even if it hadn't worked out I would have still supported the decision, teams with small leads need to stop trying to run out the clock and start trying to win games by scoring again.

Payton from SB era went for it on fourth quite a bit and many times it didn't work out, but other times it did and the statistical analytics support more aggressive play calling than NFL conventional wisdom. Feels like Payton is trying to keep his job by playing conservative and thus not drawing crticism for the "wrong" decision.

ShaneB

Fell asleep watching the SNF game, looks like a wild finish.

Week 1 biggest surprises for me

-SEA can't rely on that defense like they have in the past. Earl is not as fast as he used to be and they are now iffy at RCB and SS. Could just be rust for Earl, and Kam could come back. But I'm not sure they have it in them to be as good as the Legion of Boom from 2013

-Colts WRs are little bitches, including Andre Johnson. They were scared. They quit on balls. They are a soft ass team. And if MM is the real deal, they have a big long-term organizational problem. Luck should not sign an extension until they demonstrate competence at owner, GM and HC

-Somehow the Texans QB issues are bigger than I thought they would be. Hoyer is a bad backup. I like BoB as a coach, but he has not done well at QB management. That game shows just how little value a guy like Watt has to an atrocious team. Please trade him, for the good of all football fans. He would look good in Dallas

-Andy Reid is a magician. Everyone knows KC won't throw beyond 15 yards, and yet almost every game he gets guys open in the short passing game

-Stafford and Cutler are the same as they ever were. Save us Teddy from another boring ass year in the NFCN

-Joe Thomas is a first ballot HoF. Remember when reading all the negatives about JFF, that he was CLEARLY the 2nd best player on the Browns offense, and their only playmaker. Ray Farmer is one of the worst GMs of the past 10 years

Good post bud. Agreed on pretty much all points. Hawks and Colts run into really tough defensive teams to start, so it's a wait and see how it all turns out. Texans, fuck I loved seeing the Chiefs destroy Hoyer. Chiefs offence was clicking and really looked great. Know the deep shots will come, just had to gameplan around getting the ball out quick this game.

Agreed on the NFCN, boring as fuck division. Chargers are a tough team, and I think the Lions do put together a good season. Really intrigued for tonight's game. Want to see if AP does return to form and if Teddy can improve.

Only comment on the Browns is that I really did not like those unis at all. yuck.

#SquickenKnows should be a blog. I would subscribe in a heart beat.

I would too. Squicken does good work.

I will listen to the ATN podcast later, I love those guys as I've said, will be nice to get back to their Sunday recap shows. I just like how much fun they have, and don't care who they piss off with whatever they say. It's fun!

Off to the golf course I go.

rando14

Dam I missed the 2nd half of yesterdays game!! Cashman's boy Dez is hurt :( BUT man that comeback, I wish my QB could do that!!

Shoulda drawn up a slant at the end....? *commits sudoku

squicken

I haven't watched the full Texans game yet, and I'll probably wait for the coaches tape to come out, but what was the rest of the defense doing aside from Watt? He had their only sacks, 6 of their 7 TFLs, and all of their QB hits. I get that the offense is a clown show, but where the fuck is ... anyone else aside from he and Hopkins on that team?

Top Bottom