• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 1 |OT| - A Fraud’s Quest for Gold

Tom Penny

Mariotta is Namath+Marino, Abdullah is either Barry Sanders or Eric Metcalf. Does anyone overreact more than the Around the NFL guys?
People overreact in general. The real season starts after Thanksgiving when there is far less room for teams to hide their strenghts and weaknesses.

Some thoughts after Week 1:

fuck my life

Browns-GAF is with you there.

They were playing the Browns

This.. If you think the Jets are a contender under Fitzpatrick. You are nuts.

Dam I missed the 2nd half of yesterdays game!! Cashman's boy Dez is hurt :( BUT man that comeback, I wish my QB could do that!!

Shoulda drawn up a slant at the end....? *commits sudoku

Lol
Seppuku Rando.. Ask Weinke about the animes to teach you about it.

Fox318

Some thoughts after Week 1:

fuck my life

Somebody needs a taco

Bhaybo1l.jpg

jmdajr

I haven't watched the full Texans game yet, and I'll probably wait for the coaches tape to come out, but what was the rest of the defense doing aside from Watt? He had their only sacks, 6 of their 7 TFLs, and all of their QB hits. I get that the offense is a clown show, but where the fuck is ... anyone else aside from he and Hopkins on that team?

J.J. Watt had nine tackles, six for loss, two sacks and three hits on the quarterback. Jared Crick had three tackles. Vince Wilfork didn’t show up on the stat sheet.

They played the run well enough most of the time. Brian Cushing had a game-high 10 tackles. Jadeveon Clowney showed his explosiveness when he made two important plays.

bionic77

Ndamukong-Suh-Kicks-Matt-Schaub-in-Groin-dirty-player.gif

Ndamukong-Suh-Stomping-On-Aaron-Rodgers-GIF.gif

badsuh_medium.gif

ndamukong-suh-kills-delhomme-o.gif

ndamukong-suh-finishing-move-on-jay-cutler-controversial-moments-of-ndamukong-suh.gif

Leave Suh alone! Good, Christian young man is just misunderstood!
You motherfuckers better not get him suspended until AFTER he plays the Patriots.

Goodall you spineless SOB. The Pats are actively fucking your wife while taking a dump in your mouth. Are you going to keep taking it or finally be a man and stand up for yourself?

So do you guys think this is the year Peyton starts to look his age?
He looked old last year too.

Peyton is getting by on his mind (one of the best ever when things are clicking). He has not been winning with his arm strength or physical ability for some time now.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I haven't watched the full Texans game yet, and I'll probably wait for the coaches tape to come out, but what was the rest of the defense doing aside from Watt? He had their only sacks, 6 of their 7 TFLs, and all of their QB hits. I get that the offense is a clown show, but where the fuck is ... anyone else aside from he and Hopkins on that team?

those stats aren't accurate, Clowney had two TFLs, Mercilus and crick both had deflected passes. But the chiefs did a lot of screens and quick throws, they got the ball out quick so watt or anyone else couldn't get there. One of watts TFLs he was unblocked, one of his sacks was a lucky got smith by the shoe strings as he was exiting the pocket.

The defense shut the chiefs out in the second half and the 14 of the points came from the chiefs starting in the redzone.

squicken

Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein
We just had @AaronWilson_NFL say he heard Eric Fisher "tapped out" on Friday, missing Sunday's gm vs. Texans & that many teammates unhappy.

Wonder how Reid handles that. Probably looks at Fisher and wonders why Mariota wasn't in that draft

e:

those stats aren't accurate, Clowney had two TFLs, Mercilus and crick both had deflected passes. But the chiefs did a lot of screens and quick throws, they got the ball out quick so watt or anyone else couldn't get there. One of watts TFLs he was unblocked, one of his sacks was a lucky got smith by the shoe strings as he was exiting the pocket.

The defense shut the chiefs out in the second half and the 14 of the points came from the chiefs starting in the redzone.

Thanks. Kind of forgot how good the Chiefs had it with field position.

You motherfuckers better not get him suspended until AFTER he plays the Patriots.

Goodall you spineless SOB. The Pats are actively fucking your wife while taking a dump in your mouth. Are you going to keep taking it or finally be a man and stand up for yourself?

Lol

As long as he doesn't suspend Suh.. He's doing something.

eznark

Banned
People overreact in general. The real season starts after Thanksgiving when there is far less room for teams to hide their strenghts and weaknesses.

Yeah but people like squicken and other pretend the ATL guys are somehow better than your standard garbage ESPN talking head when they really aren't.

Tell me more about QBR Wessling. Tell me more about how Vic Fangio has Aaron Rodgers figured out.

Morons. The only guy who is consistently intelligent on that show is the guy who is a Lions fan who covers random games for them. Always insightful.

this_guy

Good morning. Eff Brian Hoyer.

The good thing about the loss was it wasn't a close game. The lost would have been worse if Hoyer looked ok and not awful because then we would have to endure him for longer. Hopefully Mallet will get the nod and he either plays well or bombs spectacularly so Texans fans will know what we have.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 3m3 minutes ago
Per @NFLfootballinfo, the Suh/Morris play was reviewed by the senior football operations staff and there will be no action taken.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 2m2 minutes ago
According to @NFLfootballinfo, “Suh’s action was not deemed a kick.” In other words, Suh will not be fined or face punishment

Suh

squicken

Yeah but people like squicken and other pretend the ATL guys are somehow better than your standard garbage ESPN talking head when they really aren't.
l.

What I liked about ATL was that their conversations felt organic. It was like listening to 4 guys who liked each other bullshit about football for 50 minutes while I worked out. Everything on TV is forced. Fake smiles and laughs and no chemistry. Just hot takes and fake overreations

I'm aware of the guys' blind spots. Wess is in the bag for Steve Smith, Rosenthal thinks BB invented football, etc. Of course the best way to know what will happen is to wait for it to happen. I'm just looking for a little sports conversation that isn't First Take over the top

spyder_ur

A few thoughts/overreactions from my 10 hour football binge yesterday:

-Broncos - Wow, maybe I am overreacting here but I honestly have some sympathy for Peyton right now. He looks pathetic, and the line is a disaster. They'll probably get this remedied a bit, but I don't think they're a contender any longer. I have a very bad feeling this is going to end with Peyton fading out and hopefully he doesn't get badly hurt in the process.
-Not much better for the Ravens. New offense did not get it done - Forsett is not Forte and the Suggs injury is big.
-Still think the Seahawks are probably the best team in the NFC. That Rams D-Line is no freaking joke though - how fast they got in on Wilson several times was stunning.
-Sunday Night NFC East games are a recipe for madness
-Injuries suck - Dez, Kuechly, etc.
-Lions collapse was perfect. I don't get why Abdullah didn't get more touches, he is electric. I expect that will change as the year goes on but I'm always surprised when I watch the Lions now that they don't seem as explosive as they were a few years ago.
-Is this the year of the TE? Some huge performances

bionic77

There is a thread in the OT for drunks to brag about how much alcohol they have consumed in a single day.

Can someone approach the mods and see if they can lessen Jakncoke's ban so he can post in that thread? I mean this is the thread he was born to post in. It would be incredibly cruel to both the board and Jak to miss out on this.

It would be like any thread about astrophysics, the law, aerodynamics, air pressure, complex radio equipment, or basic ethics and our boy KHarvey not being able to post in the same.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
this morning I learned in CFL you can challenge pass interference, whether you thought there was PI and it wasn't called or PI was called you thought it wasn't.

We need this in the NFL, clearly the refs cannot see PI in real time unless its objectively blatant.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
That was a nice and tidy Jets win yesterday, especially in the second half. Looked pretty disciplined out there, no excessive flags. Offense looks like it can make some noise and Ivory against the Colts run D should be a mismatch. I'm cautiously optimistic for now.

Two games tonight, on my birthday no less. Good stuff.

There is a thread in the OT for drunks to brag about how much alcohol they have consumed in a single day.

Can someone approach the mods and see if they can lessen Jakncoke's ban so he can post in that thread? I mean this is the thread he was born to post in. It would be incredibly cruel to both the board and Jak to miss out on this.

It would be like any thread about astrophysics, the law, aerodynamics, air pressure, complex radio equipment, or basic ethics and our boy KHarvey not being able to post in the same.
Did you enjoy the Patriots owning the Steelers once again?

bionic77

Did you enjoy the Patriots owning the Steelers once again?
No nor was I surprised by it.

Steelers team won't be a finished product until at least November.

Hoping that we learn how not to be retard in the RZ by that time. The team is going to look much better once Bell comes back and even better once Bryant gets out of rehab. We just have to tread water for the first month and then its on our stupid coaches to see how far they can take this defense, which has speed and talent, they just need to be coached up in the Xs and Os.

Speaking of retarded, how the fuck did the Lions lose that game yesterday? I stopped paying attention once they went up 21-6 or whatever the fuck it was.

eznark

Banned
What I liked about ATL was that their conversations felt organic. It was like listening to 4 guys who liked each other bullshit about football for 50 minutes while I worked out. Everything on TV is forced. Fake smiles and laughs and no chemistry. Just hot takes and fake overreations

I'm aware of the guys' blind spots. Wess is in the bag for Steve Smith, Rosenthal thinks BB invented football, etc. Of course the best way to know what will happen is to wait for it to happen. I'm just looking for a little sports conversation that isn't First Take over the top

Totally agree with you there in terms of them being fun to listen to, but also you're full of shit. You bring up their opinions as fact or to bolster your arguments all the time!

squicken

Nick Wagoner ‏@nwagoner
One note from defense story: Wilson attempted just 3 passes over 10 yards from the line of scrimmage, the second-fewest of his career.

Nick Wagoner ‏@nwagoner
Translation: Seattle was making a concerted effort to get the ball out quick and the Rams defense still had six sacks.

I look forward to seeing this game on Rewind, but I'm not sure this stat is totally expository. Wilson will hold the ball and take sacks rather than throw it away or force a throw

e:

Totally agree with you there in terms of them being fun to listen to, but also you're full of shit. You bring up their opinions as fact or to bolster your arguments all the time!

I do like QBR!

Chargers:

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 3m3 minutes ago
#Chargers guard DJ Fluker suffered a high-ankle sprain in Sunday’s win over the #Lions. MRI will tell more, but believed to be out 4-6 weeks

Tough one for them. He played pretty well from what I saw of him.

Inexcusable.
The Jennings comment is hilarious. He had two other runs where he could have scored at the goal line unless he decided to have selective amnesia. Did someone tell him not to score on those, too? Please.

Hindl

Lol can't believe Giants fucked that up. Romo was nice in the fourth, but goddamn that game made me feel a whole lot better about the East. Now the Eagles just need to get shit done tonight.

If the Eagles don't score 80 on a secondary that Dez Southward made, they are fucked this year.

I thought Dan Quinn was supposed to have fixed the Falcons D?

brentech

Chargers:

Tough one for them. He played pretty well from what I saw of him.

The Jennings comment is hilarious. He had two other runs where he could have scored at the goal line. Did someone tell him not to on those? Please.
You know who didn't play well? Fatthew Fatford.

LJ11

Romeo is bad.

eznark

Banned
I look forward to seeing this game on Rewind, but I'm not sure this stat is totally expository. Wilson will hold the ball and take sacks rather than throw it away or force a throw

The one big takeaway I had from the few glances I took at that game is that my beloved Bevell has not figured out how to use Jimmy Graham, who once played basketball and was repeatedly abused by his mother.

Bevell seems to use the multi-sport athlete and domestic abuse survivor as a plug-n-play TE, simply inserting him into their existing offense as though he's just an improved version of Luke Wlson. Maybe I just caught it on some bad series or something, but that jumped out to me. Graham was in the flat a bunch. Bad scheming.

Good morning. Eff Brian Hoyer.

Just be glad that Hoyer isn't a Houston native.

Otherwise you'd have to deal with a bunch of nonsense from fans bending over backwards to defend him even though it's obvious he's crap.

Screw all of the dumbass Browns fans who thought Hoyer was any good just because he was from Cleveland. Dude is garbage and will always be garbage.

Just be glad that Hoyer isn't a Houston native.

Otherwise you'd have to deal with a bunch of nonsense from fans bending over backwards to defend him even though it's obvious he's crap.

Screw all of the dumbass Browns fans who thought Hoyer was any good just because he was from Cleveland. Dude is garbage and will always be garbage.

We will probably be dealing with Hoyer pt.2 in the form of Cardale Jones.. Oh god it never ends Bert.. It never ends..

I'm still giggling at the Browns-copter

So am I because that play summarizes the franchise in a nutshell.

*chug chug chug*

It's a race between us to see who will fail for Cardale the fastest.. May the best team win.. And then cry.

LJ11

I watched all of the Rams game in the second half since I paid less attention to the Bills. Hawks OL is trash, it's been trash for a while, and a good DL will work the shit out of them. They did a great job keeping Wilson in the pocket, the clock in his head was going off early. I thought Foles did an ok job, for the first time in a while, you saw some wide open receivers for the Rams, didn't see that when the moron was calling the plays.

We will probably be dealing with Hoyer pt.2 in the form of Cardale Jones.. Oh god it never ends Bert.. It never ends..

I really hope someone else gets Cardale before the Browns get him.

He has a ton of potential in the NFL, but he's going to be a project. And the Browns are completely incapable of developing him into the elite NFL QB that he could possibly be.

Top Bottom