• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 1 |OT| - A Fraud’s Quest for Gold

eznark

Banned
Bears are so shitty McCarthy treated this game like week 3 of the pre-season:

Chicago Bears @ChicagoBears
Rolle: "I didn't feel like Aaron Rodgers and the Packers gave us a whole lot. They ran a pretty basic offense."

"Missed penalty: video of Romo taking an absolute shot in final drive."

https://twitter.com/LindsCashDraper/status/643491691308171264

nooogiants.0.gif

Look at 85 for the Giants, being held, you allowed to misdirect the player in the first 5 yards not hold, no flag, and it looks like play was design to go to him......the refs were bad last night all around, don't want to hear about some late hit on Romo..

MechDX

Houston Texans ‏@HoustonTexans · 8s8 seconds ago
O'Brien on QBs: "Whatever decision that is made, whoever starts the game against Carolina, it'll be in the best interest of the team."

Really starting to get annoyed with this shit

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Bill O'Brien: "you'll have to wait till the first play of the Carolina game to find out who's starting" thanks for nothing, jerk.

Bears are so shitty McCarthy treated this game like week 3 of the pre-season:

I'm not sure if Rolle realizes what he's saying is that they couldn't even defense Green Bay's vanilla offense.

Big Blue View has a nice play by play breakdown of the last drive for the Giants:

http://www.bigblueview.com/2015/9/1...ossession-eli-manning-tom-coughlin-ben-mcadoo

Goes over how badly mismanaged that entire drive was.

3:57

This is where the clock mismanagement began. The Giants faced third-and-two at their own 28-yard line. After Odell Beckham had sprinted all the way to the end zone for nothing with what he thought might be a loose ball, the officials reset the game clock to 4:30 and gave the Giants a new 40-second clock. They could have run the clock down close to 3:40 before snapping the ball. Instead, Eli Manning had the ball snapped at 3:57, with a full 17 seconds still on the play clock. The Giants got a first down on a 5-yard pass from Manning to Beckham, but still handed Dallas an extra 17 seconds.

2:25

This is when Jerome Mincey of the Cowboys was penalized for unnecessary roughness against Ereck Flowers, and where Manning apparently became confused about the timeout situation. The Cowboys called a timeout, but got it back because of the penalty. When referee Bill Vinovich was explaining the situation to Tom Coughlin Manning was there, and he can clearly be seen discussing it with Vinovich before the announcement. So, how Manning was confused by the timeout situation I don't understand.

More at the link if you want to read in gruesome detail.

Good game, Saints-GAF (is there one with Cajun gone?). I was extremely confident going into this game as I felt we were the better team and are great at home but you always have to respect an elite QB and even as an opposing fan, watching Brees' craft was a thing of beauty. Our defense completely took away what the Saints O wanted to do but Brees reads the D and adjusts, milking the dink and dunk and popping us with screen plays. There are not very many QBs that will be able to read the D and adjust the way he did and it's nice to get a win over a player of his caliber.

Palmer is back and looking great as usual in Arians' system. If he stays healthy, he'll finally be able to shut up all the haters. Fans should know by now that some QBs excel and with a particular system go beyond what they otherwise might. Palmer is a great fit in this system. Anyway, I'll take over 300 yards passing with 3 TDs and no turnovers by my QB any day. He spread the ball all over and got everyone involved so the opposing defense couldn't key in on one or two guys to shut us down. A great game by Carson though there were a few bone headed decisions that could have been costly so not perfect but it's week 1 and hijinks happen. He'll watch the tape and improve going forward.

OL, I wanted to give them grief occasionally but the bottom line is they didn't allow a single sack and there was pretty stellar play from the left side in general. Watford did a fantastic job stepping into the starting position for the first time and containing Jordan. Cooper had a crucial block that allowed the John Brown TD. Solid play over all.

The running game was going pretty damn well too which is fantastic to see after being 31st in the league on the ground last year. It's a damn shame Elly got hurt again but he's only expected out 2-3 weeks and the Johnson duo proved they are more than capable holding down the fort. CJ had a few nice runs and showed the ability to still burst through the middle and rookie David Johnson, who I expect to beat out Ellington by next year for the starting job, made a fantastic play at the end of the game that served as the dagger. The kid also returned the ball for over 40 yards so he made the most of his time and I expect him to get far more minutes in Week 2 with Elly out. We actually have talent and depth here this year and that's huge for us.

Larry can still ball! The guy is so well rounded at this point in his career. He's been a stellar blocker in Arians' system but he made a number of crucial catches for us yesterday. Fitz is still the man. John Brown didn't dominate but he made a number of good catches and a score so solid contribution. With his small stature, he's going to have to use that speed to get around defenders. It was nice to see Floyd in the game, albeit briefly. He had one solid catch but between wanting to limit him and go with two TE sets as Arians loves to do, he didn't see much of the field. That will change over the coming weeks as he gets healthy.

Holy shit, did a Cardinal TE actually do something? I can't even remember how many years it's been since we've had solid TE play but Darren Fells has emerged! He looked great in the off season and now he reinforced it with quality play in a game that matters. Multiple big catches and a score. He's huge too, difficult to cover. I'm excited to see him reach his potential as I think we're barely scratching the surface here.

All in all, quite pleased with the offense.

As for the defense, we still desperately need a stronger pass rush but we did commit pressure and most impressive of all, forced Brees to settle for dinks and screens as we took the long ball away. Peterson played lights out save for one play. I had completely forgotten Cooks was in the game until that sole catch and that's due to Peterson's stellar performance. Powers had a solid game, Honey Badger was disruptive and had a nice game outside that whiffed tackle that led to the Saints sole TD. This group played some fantastic red zone D and forced the Saints to settle for FGs time and again. In fact, if special teams didn't fuck up with too many men on the field, the Saints wouldn't have scored a single TD and this game could have been a blow out. That's on Arians and he addressed it in the presser. The guys have to be vigilant and pay attention. I'm sure Arians will have them ready going forward. Although Brees doesn't have his favorite weapon any longer, I'm still pleased to see our D hold up so well against an elite QB. The only area we looked bad is screen passes, we really need to address this as offense coordinators will look to exploit this. In fact, our next opponent has just the guy to do so in Forte. Our offense hasn't ever had much success in running those plays so I think it's a matter of our defense not getting proper experience in practice against them.

Play calling and adjustments were solid over all though I was frustrated with how we closed the first half, that should have been an easy 3 points instead of trying to force the TD. Two bone headed lapses left 10 points off the board (Aforementioned Saints TD). This just means we won't get complacent as we have plenty to work on and can continue to get better and grow as a team. This is an exciting year of possibilities for Cards fans and god am I glad that Football is back!

Oh, and just to make it a completely amazing day of Football, the chickens lose to the lambs! We're ahead of them for the division already! Let's do this, Cards! We're taking the division this year!

captive

Why name a starter right now? Have CAR prepare for both.
its going to come out, first plays from Wednesday whoever is with the 1s is most likely the starter. Also, they're not drastically different, its not like one is a run around mobile vick like QB and the other is a pocket passer.

Is there any doubt they will both play?

that would be hilarious.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
#BelieveinBOB

Aside for his love for Hoyer for some reason he's been pretty good.

Motherfucker is trolling at this point.

lol

its going to come out, first plays from Wednesday whoever is with the 1s is most likely the starter. Also, they're not drastically different, its not like one is a run around mobile vick like QB and the other is a pocket passer.

One is a chicken shit and the other is not.

Pepiope

its going to come out, first plays from Wednesday whoever is with the 1s is most likely the starter. Also, there not drastically different, its not like one is a run around mobile vick like QB and the other is a pocket passer.
Any diversion is better than nothing.

MechDX

its going to come out, first plays from Wednesday whoever is with the 1s is most likely the starter. Also, there not drastically different, its not like one is a run around mobile vick like QB and the other is a pocket passer.

that would be hilarious.

Brett Favre walks out of the tunnel on Sunday.....

By gawd! It was Brent all along!

1yEcEqQ.jpg

captive

Not sure how they would manage their time, what a struggle. Who would you spend more time on? The 6'0'' guy who is terrible at football or the 6'6'' guy who is terrible at football?

can I borrow your clairvoyance? No way anyone knows if Mallet is terrible at football. He's started 2 games in his career.

cdyhybrid

Oh, and just to make it a completely amazing day of Football, the chickens lose to the lambs! We're ahead of them for the division already! Let's do this, Cards! We're taking the division this year!

Yup, just like last season! Just impossible to catch up with that much of a lead.

Mallett has lost his job to Brian Hoyer twice.

That is all I need to know.

That and

2. If the Pats thought he was something they'd have kept him

3. Benefit of the system he played in college.. Say what you will about Petrino (RBH has a lot to say, I bet) the man can make a system work

Mudcrab

Good game, Saints-GAF

I went into that game expecting the defense to let us down (and they did), but really the offense did too. They never clicked in the red zone and usually we're very good there. Colston is definitely showing his age and the lack of the red-zone threat that was Graham was apparent. Also we didn't give Ingram nearly enough touches either.

Cards are my least hated team in the NFC West so I hope ya'll have a good run this season.

captive

Mallett has lost his job to Brian Hoyer twice.

That is all I need to know.
twice? Mallet was never named the starter, this year or last. He was the starter for two games, then got injured, they never said he was going to be the starter this year.

That and

3. Benefit of the system he played in college.. Say what you will about Petrino (RBH has a lot to say, I bet) the man can make a system work

Yea they'd have kept him so they could get rid of tom brady, he's been playing like ass.

MechDX

That and

Problem with that he was a free agent after this past season. How much exactly are you paying a back up? Cheaper to draft another prospect and have his rights for 3 tears at minimal cost

Jets offered him 7 million guaranteed this off season and he took way less because he wanted to come here.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/wkpTULebbsmvl9DmBikCyIdU9BY=/800x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4058222/nooogiants.0.gif[/im

Look at 85 for the Giants, being held, you allowed to misdirect the player in the first 5 yards not hold, no flag, and it looks like play was design to go to him......the refs were bad last night all around, don't want to hear about some late hit on Romo..[/QUOTE]

No one is going to get that call on a play fake.

jmdajr

Sholda kept the magic.

I think he did ok on Sunday.

Anyhow. Hard to have game manager when they are throwing interceptions and fumbling the ball. The whole point is just doing enough not to blow game. Once in the whole it was over. This team isn't built for come backs.

Beach

He's probabaly going to miss this week against the Ravens. They probabaly woudldnt have won anyway so saving him for the week after is fine.

It's possibly losing the two starting safties for the year that has fans worried. Reggie, call Seattle about Kam pls.

Top Bottom