• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 10 |OT| - A Fraud is Not Clearly Better Than Blaine Gabbert

Kiryu

I got Russell Wilson

YIjGkfh.png

Godslay

Banned
It's pretty much a 50-50 game with Denver being home. Maybe 60-40 but that's it and you know it.

NE are already favorites, in Denver. They're the best team in football. Probably a little better than 50/50.

Denver is playing the Bengals?

Yeah, they play them this year.

Bengals aren't as good as the Pats.

Nobody believes in Andy Dalton, not even his own parents.

Marvin Lewis vs. Bill Belichick, might as well be University of Phoenix vs. MIT.

NE are already favorites, in Denver. They're the best team in football. Probably a little better than 50/50.

Yeah, they play them this year.

Bengals aren't as good as the Pats.

Nobody believes in Andy Dalton, not even his own parents.

Marvin Lewis vs. Bill Belichick, might as well be University of Phoenix vs. MIT.

If Flacco can do it, Dalton can do it.

Dragon

Banned
The narrative that the Patriots are unstoppable is just an attempt at jinxing them. They aren't. They will lose games this year. Smh

cdyhybrid

I think this is probably a good counter argument to squicken's observations. Or it might be that Jimmy Graham just isn't that great outside of New Orleans playing with a HOF quarterback. On the other hand, Seattle is still a top 5 defense in points allowed.

Either way, I still think it's an overall evolution to how the game is played.

Unfortunately, the Cheats have the best TE in the league. Fuck those guys.

I think the ILB position is undervalued overall. It's usually your defensive captain back there making pre-snap adjustments so it's important to have a solid player in that role. Clay Matthews has been doing really well in that position and it may even extend his career a bit hopefully.

I must be a really bad fan this season because I had to look both of these guys up to remind me who they are. I'm not sure if that says more about me or more about the defense we've cobbled together.
Jimmy is still talented. He isn't playing in a highly advanced passing offense anymore. For whatever reason (personnel limitations, Russell can't handle it, Bevell is an idiot, Pete is an idiot, etc.), our passing offense is basic as fuck. They don't scheme guys open. Look at all of the articles/tweets about how simple our passing offense is every week.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Column: Can we pump the brakes on talk of Detroit Lions dumping QB Matthew Stafford?

The next Detroit Lions general manager will decide quarterback Matthew Stafford's long-term future with the organization. And until that person is hired, no amount of speculation is going to alter that fact.

Shortly following Thursday's dismissal of Martin Mayhew, conversation turned to what's next for the Lions organization. First, who would be the next general manager, then to coach Jim Caldwell's standing with the team, then to the future of the franchise quarterback.

National analysts started throwing around Stafford's contract figures, the fact that he's owed no guaranteed money beyond this year. But the most damning comments came from Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, who reported former Detroit offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi had been frustrated with Stafford's inability to grasp the full playbook and the scheme needed to be simplified by Lombardi's replacement, Jim Bob Cooter.

These were the reasons Rapoport suggested could not only lead to Stafford's potential departure from Detroit, but the team would consider cutting the quarterback after this season.

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

How can Rapoport suggest Stafford's future with the Lions is "very much in doubt" when the search to find the man who will ultimately make that determination has really just begun?

Don't confuse this for a defense of Stafford. He is flawed. His accuracy numbers have always been below average, he has struggled to get over the hump on the road and against quality opponents and he has a history of questionable decision-making. But the bottom line is he remains Detroit's best option until there's a clear and better replacement.

That replacement certainly isn't on the roster right now. If anything, he'll be available in the draft. But deep into the college season, there's not an overwhelming favorite in the conversation about the best quarterbacking prospect. Some favor Cal's Jared Goff, others Memphis' Paxton Lynch and more than a handful prefer Michigan State's Connor Cook.

The first question the next GM will need to answer is, do any of those three offer a brighter future than Stafford? At 28 years old, he still has several seasons in his physical prime.

The next question will be whether the Lions, currently on pace to land the No. 1 overall pick in the draft, stay that dismal course and are in guaranteed position to land the quarterback they hypothetically covet.

And even if both A and B are true -- which we must state again, are big ifs -- there's still no reason to cut Stafford. That would be a wildly irresponsible business decision.

For all of Stafford's flaws, you cannot convince me there wouldn't be a market for his services. His average salary for 2016 and 2017 is the going rate for middle-tier QB production and few in that group offer his physical tool set. There are multiple teams who would likely be willing to offer a quality compensation package. The Texans, Jets and Browns all come to mind.

A reasonable barometer for Stafford's value should be the first- and third-round picks Denver received for sending Jay Cutler to Chicago in 2009. The skill sets are strikingly similar, although Cutler was two years younger than Stafford is now.

Or, the Lions can draft a QB and groom him behind Stafford for a season. Maybe the pressure pushes Stafford to another level. There are worse problems to have.

Mayhew believed Stafford had the potential to lead the Lions to the Super Bowl and even make it to the Hall of Fame one day. Mayhew's successor may or may not agree.

But that's his determination to make. Not the fans and not the media. Let's see where the general manager search takes us, and how the coaching situation shakes out after that, before we try to evaluate what the future holds for Stafford.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2015/11/column_can_we_pump_the_brakes.html#incart_story_package

Godslay

Banned
If Flacco can do it, Dalton can do it.

Flacco put on a hell of a post-season to get there and win it.

11 TDs, 0 Ints, ~300 yards per game, 58% comp.

He was money in the Superbowl as well, 3 TDs 0 Ints, 67% comp.

I don't think Dalton can elevate like that, I've yet to see anything that would convince me otherwise.

Head coaching is also the edge nobody wants to acknowledge. BB will always be better than Lewis.

Dalton's thrown for 1 TD, 6 Ints, through 4 games in the postseason.

Spinluck

Luck just beat the Broncos with an OL assembled of dudes that Grigson drunkenly met one night in a bowling alley bar. Not to mention a team consisting of players entering their primes when N'Sync was still the shit.

I think Brady's got a shot to win given those circumstances.

After rewatching the game, Luck styled on you guys with a shit O-line for sure. But Den game plan was way too reliant on Luck turning it over. They blitzed like crazy but Chud came prepared and had Luck releasing the ball in 2 something seconds, and instead risking bad throws he took off.

If we have Pep we get destroyed, he's gone on record saying he doesn't believe Luck can handle the short passing game (maybe this was due to his shoulder injury at the time). Yet Chud was calling in some easy throws for him and came out with various multiple TE sets. We also stuck with the run the entire game, I think Gore had 28 carries and Bradshaw had a satiable amount as well. Pep would've given up by then. I think it sort of has to do with that you said earlier about the Broncos not really having tape of Luck and Chud. Looked like they came in gameplanning against Pep.

I think with their talent and defense this year, NE fans would be crazy to overlook DEN
Biggest question mark is still PeyPey, he can't keep turning it over. He had two costly ones this past game.

Lenardo

Banned
The pats and panthers -both- have a very good chance to go undefeated into the playoffs.

The panthers IMO have an easier schedule to get there. The giants imo are the best bet to beat them.

Pats -giants and denver maybe jets are pats toughest opponents. To get by

Godslay

Banned
After rewatching the game, Luck styled on you guys with a shit O-line for sure. But Den game plan was way too reliant on Luck turning it over. They blitzed like crazy but Chud came prepared and had Luck releasing the ball in 2 something seconds, and instead risking bad throws he took off.

If we have Pep we get destroyed, he's gone on record saying he doesn't believe Luck can handle the short passing game (maybe this was due to his shoulder injury at the time). Yet Chud was calling in some easy throws for him and came out with various multiple TE sets. We also stuck with the run the entire game, I think Gore had 28 carries and Bradshaw had a satiable amount as well. Pep would've given up by then. I think it sort of has to do with that you said earlier about the Broncos not really having tape of Luck and Chud. Looked like they came in gameplanning against Pep.

I think with their talent and defense this year, NE fans would be crazy to overlook DEN
Biggest question mark is still PeyPey, he can't keep turning it over. He had two costly ones this past game.

Chud was prepared, but Luck also payed the price for that success by basically giving them a free shot at the QB. I don't think most QBs take that punishment without getting shook to some degree. There was also a lot of max protect, as well as stacking the WRs to get guys open. It was a good gameplan, just not every team has the caveman to do it. Broncos should have been more prepared for it, but I think they smelled too many of their own farts from the prior week.

As far as the Pats, Brady will deal with the pressure just fine, Gronk is Gronk, and their defense is good enough.

Slay loves to be right and if he's wrong at least his team wins.

In this case I'd love to be wrong.

I'd rather the Broncos win then me be right.

Bread

Banned
Greg your snaps from this weekend are glitched and I can't look at any of your new ones :'(

I'm missing out on some prime Greg material

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
As far as the Pats, Brady will deal with the pressure just fine, Gronk is Gronk, and their defense is good enough.

In this case I'd love to be wrong.

I'd rather the Broncos win then me be right.

I think that game will all come down to how well the offense improves. So long as the Defense can stop committing so many stupid penalties, I think they can deal with Brady and company.

Godslay

Banned
I think that game will all come down to how well the offense improves. So long as the Defense can stop committing so many stupid penalties, I think they can deal with Brady and company.

Tall order.

Pats offense is considerably better. Only few sacks and 4 points separate the Broncos D from the Patriots D. They have the league's sack leader. Belichick is more proven then Kubes. Kickers and ST are a wash as both teams seem to be doing fine there.

Top Bottom