• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 10 |OT| - A Fraud is Not Clearly Better Than Blaine Gabbert

Godslay

Banned
Mannings record speaks more to rule changes, softening of defenses, and protecting QBs as marketing figures of the game.

He exists in a different era of football. Doesn't take away from any accomplishments he's made. Especially with the junk we've seen rolled out at the position in recent years.

It's also an ironman record to some degree. You have to play a long time, at a high level to get where he's at. He could have played in any era and broke records for that time period.

I don't think anything you stated takes away from him as an individual elite QB.

Just 3 more yards.

He might not play on Sunday. Seems kinda up in the air. Battlin' plantar fasciitis.

Konka

Banned
Probably just needs some rest. He'll probably play, but you never know.

brock.gif

Crisco

Banned
He exists in a different era of football. Doesn't take away from any accomplishments he's made. Especially with the junk we've seen rolled out at the position in recent years.

It's also an ironman record to some degree. You have to play a long time, at a high level to get where he's at. He could have played in any era and broke records for that time period.

I don't think anything you stated takes away from him as an individual elite QB.

He might not play on Sunday. Seems kinda up in the air. Battlin' plantar fasciitis.

I'm as big a Manning hater as anyone, but you can't take anything away from his statistical accomplishments. He's the best regular season QB ever, no doubt about it. Watching him shred defenses in his heyday with the Colts was a thing of beauty. There were some games where you just felt bad for the guys on the other team because you knew they had no chance. No other QB made playing the position look absolutely effortless in the way he did. Playoffs are a different story but hell, he at least has one ring, which is more then a lot of the other record book queens can say.

squicken

Mannings record speaks more to rule changes, softening of defenses, and protecting QBs as marketing figures of the game.

Every QB that held the record benefited in some way from rule changes, equipment changes or strategic innovations. Teams couldn't freely substitute players until the 50s. Paul Brown invented the facemask after Otto Graham had a gruesome face injury. Marino benefited from the Mel Blount rule like all the 80s guys

Marketing figure? Bob Waterfield was married to Jane Russell in the 40s. Joe Namath was a sex symbol doing pantyhose commercials in the 70s. Dan Marino sold millions of Isotoners to women thinking they would be cool gifts to dads and grads

That article is written to combat the notion that guys with stats are somehow lesser players than the ones with ringz.

The all-time passing-yardage leaderboard is not a clearinghouse for quarterbacks not good enough to win multiple championships. It's safe harbor for quarterbacks who weren't lucky enough to play for dynasties. It's a place for quarterbacks who had to do a little more, for a little longer, than their also-legendary counterparts who enjoyed extended runs at the heights of their powers with super coaches, super playmakers, super protectors and super defenses.

The spot at the top of the all-time leaderboard is the place for Brett Favre, not Troy Aikman.

It's the place for Dan Marino, not Joe Montana or even John Elway, who escaped a "can't win the big one" rep that would make even Manning cringe at age 37.

It's the place for Fran Tarkenton, not Terry Bradshaw or Roger Staubach.

Long ago, it was a place for Johnny Unitas, not Bart Starr.

Hindl

I played it on PS4!

It's nowhere near as hard as those, but it's still good. And the acting is superb. Lots of Princess Bride nods too.

Now I'm interested.

I'm going to take a nap now, y'all better wake me up for the Nintendo Direct.

I'm just really excited to see them again. Don't really care about the content of the direct, probably just gonna be dates and new trailers for games we know about. And Twilight Princess HD which is cool. But I'm glad the format is back

Godslay

Banned
I'm as big a Manning hater as anyone, but you can't take anything away from his statistical accomplishments. He's the best regular season QB ever, no doubt about it. Watching him shred defenses in his heyday with the Colts was a thing of beauty. There were some games where you just felt bad for the guys on the other team because you knew they had no chance. Playoffs are a different story but hell, he at least has one ring, which is more then a lot of the other record book queens can say.

His playoff stats cumulatively aren't terrible. Had some rough years in there, but average looking in comparison to the regular season stuff.

Post-season break downs per game:
24 games, 38 TDs, 24 INTs, 6800 yards, 56.52%.
1.6 TDs, 1 Int, 283 yards per game.

Regular season break downs per game:
264 games, 539 TDs, 247 Ints, 71836 yards, 65.39%
2.04 TDs, 0.93 Ints, 272 yards per game

Pretty consistent, but post-season is more hohum versus regular season stuff. Could be a function of playing better defenses or the C factor.

ParityBit

His playoff stats cumulatively aren't terrible. Had some rough years in there, but average looking in comparison to the regular season stuff.

Pretty consistent, but post-season is more hohum versus regular season stuff. Could be a function of playing better defenses or the C factor.

When you have more loses than wins in the playoffs .... you lose a lot of playoff stat conversations in my book.

No dude, he chokes in the playoffs and sucks in cold weather despite the evidence. ESPN wouldn't dedicate all that time arguing if they were wrong would they?!

When you have more loses than wins in the playoffs .... you lose a lot of playoff stat conversations in my book.

This might come as a shock...but wins aren't a QB stat.

Crisco

Banned
I think I'm gonna smoke a turkey this year for Thanksgiving, what say you friends?

I keep saying I'm gonna do it every year, but I chicken out. I don't know why, I've smoked things that take way longer than turkey, and I've done turkey legs. I guess I just don't want to do it in freezing cold temps lol

Dragon

Banned
If a QB can not will his team to win in the playoffs, it matters. The whole point of playing the game is to win, so yes, it is a QB stat.

What exactly constitutes willing his team to win in the playoffs?

Do you think Dan Marino was worse than Trent Dilfer?

Crisco

Banned
No dude, he chokes in the playoffs and sucks in cold weather despite the evidence. ESPN wouldn't dedicate all that time arguing if they were wrong would they?!

This might come as a shock...but wins aren't a QB stat.

I mean, it's not just that they lost, but Manning played HORRIBLY in a lot of those losses. Lots of INTS and very few TDs.

I mean, it's not just that they lost, but Manning played HORRIBLY in a lot of those losses. Lots of INTS and very few TDs.

Sure I agree he didn't have great games, he didn't have great games in the regular season either. But we know not all those INTS are on him (just like all those TDs aren't on him either) Football more than any other sport is a team sport, both offense and defense and special teams needs to play well, to equate wins to just one player on a team consisting of 50+ players is ridiculous. Manning plays the QB position like no other, changed what it meant to play it. Look at how he plays the position and judge him off that, not 'wins', leave that for the gatas of the world.

jbug617

Banned
Mort thinks that Megatron is probably playing for a new team in 2016. He also thinks that Stafford is staying.

As the Detroit Lions have dismantled their front office and part of their coaching staff, there is a natural inclination to wonder whether the purge will extend into 2016 with marquee players such as quarterback Matthew Stafford and wide receiver Calvin Johnson. After all, Stafford and Johnson will consume $46.5 million of the team's salary cap in 2016.

Johnson seems more likely to be on the chopping block. He will be 31 years old next season and even though some of his injuries fall under the "nagging" category, they appear to have diminished the greatness that earned him the Megatron moniker. He's human, after all.

On Stafford
The speculation on Stafford is almost laughable, except nobody really knows who will be calling the shots for the Lions when they restructure their organization. In a small sample survey of seven NFL coaches and personnel men, they were unanimous that the Lions would be foolish to part with Stafford. He's too talented, his toughness is not in question, he works at the high level necessary for an NFL starting quarterback and, despite people who have coached and played with Stafford reject any idea his football acumen is lacking.

Stafford is only 27. Yes, he could attract a nice bounty of draft picks in a trade but there's no obvious upgrade in free agency or the draft. In discussing Stafford and the idea he could be expendable, former Giants general manager Ernie Accorsi cautioned: "You don't get rid of quarterbacks when you get one who has signs of greatness. You fix the defense so he's not playing from behind all the time and you protect him with your offensive line."
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14092506/calvin-johnson-his-final-stretch-detroit-lion-nfl

Dragon

Banned
Why not pick someone with an equivalent sample size? Not 6 games. I would take Eli over his brother. I would take Big Ben also.

You're talking about sample size and then talking about the postseason. Not sure I follow that logic. Ben's numbers are worse than Peyton's in the playoffs BTW. Eli's are better but he's played half the games.

Eli is not better than one of, if not the best QB ever. Sorry. That's ridiculous. Eli's interception rate in the regular season is pretty bad actually. He's Jay Cutler/Chad Henne level there.

Mort thinks that Megatron is probably playing for a new team in 2016. He also thinks that Stafford is staying.

On Stafford

former Giants general manager Ernie Accorsi cautioned: "You don't get rid of quarterbacks when you get one who has signs of greatness. You fix the defense so he's not playing from behind all the time and you protect him with your offensive line."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14092506/calvin-johnson-his-final-stretch-detroit-lion-nfl

Hmmm I wonder if we can sign him as GM? I need to get Ross' number.

LJ11

Man, seeing people's reaction when I tell them I'm a Bills fan is amazing. It's like I fucking blew a fart right in their face.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Man, seeing people's reaction when I tell them I'm a Bills fan is amazing. It's like I fucking blew a fart right in their face.

I know that feeling friend.

Mine usually involves laughing tho.

I've told the story here before when I was in Calgary a Dallas Cowboys fan in his 70s approached me and chirped me for being a Browns fan. Then thought it must be a joke that I'm a Browns fan. :(

Godslay

Banned

It was a comparison between the regular and post-season stats. Not a team based win/loss comparison. If you are validating stats based on the win/loss column, your book is a piece of shit and you should be laughed at.

He did, but it's just like anything else. A couple real stinkers, a bunch of mediocre/average/good games, and a few real gems.

Fuck you Pats/Donkeys fan
WTF are freezing temps? The high today is 81.

He's no Broncos fan, we won't allow him in.

Top Bottom