• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 10 |OT| - A Fraud is Not Clearly Better Than Blaine Gabbert

Dragon

Banned
Coincidentally those were often the Chargers it felt like, and SD could never knock off the Patriots.

My favorite was when Brady throws a pick on fourth down and Marlon McCree fumbles and Troy Brown recovered. Just some really dumb fucking plays by those Norv Turner/Marty Schottenheimer led Chargers teams.

Tom Brady pass incomplete short middle intended for Troy Brown is intercepted by Marlon McCree at SDG-31 and returned for 3 yards. Marlon McCree fumbles (forced by Troy Brown), recovered by Reche Caldwell at SDG-32. SDG challenged the ruling, and the play was upheld.

You cannot remove a player completely from the outcome of the game. If Peyton was his usual self throughout years of playoffs we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Cdy compared "QB wins" to pitcher wins. If an ace plays like shit in the playoffs gives up 7 runs and loses, should that not count against him? He went 22-6 this year!

I think it all comes down to this. Do you think Ben is a better playoff QB than Peyton?

Syrinx

My favorite was when Brady throws a pick on fourth down and Marlon McCree fumbles and Troy Brown recovered. Just some really dumb fucking plays by those Norv Turner/Marty Schottenheimer led Chargers teams.

That game was pretty much the sole reason Schotty got fired, right? They went 14-2 that year but choked like dogs in that game again and again.

ParityBit

Eli hasn't even been in the playoffs since 2011. I dunno, like I get that Peyton hasn't been as good as his regular season self. But he's playing against better teams. There are only a few guys like Montana and Eli who have playoff numbers than regular season numbers. Do you think that Eli tries harder or elevates his game in the playoffs? Because at that point, then you're saying there's something different about the regular season for him. Or maybe, he's made some incredible throws in the postseason and gotten lucky in other aspects?

I think it is partially luck, but I also think he is less likely to cave to pressure/defenses or whatever seems to be his playoff yips.

Dragon

Banned
what a hero

Until last year's SB, it was one of my main "what the fuck just happened" sports moments.

That game was pretty much the sole reason Schotty got fired, right? They went 14-2 that year but choked like dogs in that game again and again.

I mean that team was way more talented than the Pats that year. Tomlinson was ridiculous. I don't know if you can really blame the coach for such a boneheaded play that any player in any league should know to go down on fourth down like that.

Line_HTX

Weren't Marty and the GM at serious odds with each other that season? Sure, they went 14-2, but I heard that they flat out refused to talk to each other most of the time.

Or try to take the debate seriously.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features...eason-quarterback-of-all-time-is-eli-manning/

Obviously we can disagree, but whatever.

I mostly agree with FiveThirtyEight here that E. Manning is in the discussion for top clutch post-season QBs, but he's only played 11 post season games, which means 5 trips to the post season. Over a similar number of seasons, you have guys like Brady and P. Manning playing 26 and 24 post season games respectively. P. Manning and Brady have gone to the playoffs in almost every year that they've started, E. Manning's teams have only been to the playoffs 5 times, losing their first game 3 times, and then obviously having those two historically clutch runs going 4 - 0 twice.

If Eli were capable of leading the Giants to the playoffs more times, then the law of averages would take over. But, because he's a dog shit loser in 60% of his NFL seasons, those two Super Bowl runs really carry a lot of prominence statistically.

I don't. Are you saying the Left Tackle is just as guilty for the loss as the Quarterback is?

And that's fine. Wins are not the only measure. They ARE a measure. Peyton is destined for Canton, and in the same breath you have to mention how he came up short so many times in the playoffs, even at times when the deck seemed stacked completely in his favor.

You cannot remove a player completely from the outcome of the game. If Peyton was his usual self throughout years of playoffs we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Cdy compared "QB wins" to pitcher wins. If an ace plays like shit in the playoffs, gives up 7 runs and loses, should that not count against him? He went 22-6 this year!

Then break down each play and how the QB played compared to his oline/wrs/rbs etc and how well the defense he played against was playing as well. Just looking at wins without any context is invalid. Once you finish, please let me know I'd be happy to go over it.

cdyhybrid

such a thing a mariner fan would say.

The land of no wins

Youre just mad Hernandez gets fucked over by the rest of your bum ass team
Nah, baseball doesn't really interest me. Pitchers have no control over how many runs their team scores so wins is a meaningless stat. QBs don't play defense.

Now, if you wanted to examine a QB's play in a specific context - such as when tied or trailing in the 4th - you'd be getting a little closer to something meaningful. But wins in general, in a game with as many moving parts as football, is a meaningless stat for evaluating a single player.

You don't even have to go that deep, though. Rating, completion percentage, adjusted Y/A, these are all basic stats that any football fan is familiar with that actually are indicative of quality of individual play. It's just that the more specificity/context you give the stats you use, the more telling they are (within reason).

Syrinx

Until last year's SB, it was one of my main "what the fuck just happened" sports moments.

I mean that team was way more talented than the Pats that year. Tomlinson was ridiculous. I don't know if you can really blame the coach for such a boneheaded play that any player in any league should know to go down on fourth down like that.

That play was the only play from that game that I distinctly remember but looking back I felt like tht was only the biggest of a series of fuckups by the Chargers in that game that they absolutely should have won.

And firing Schottenheimer afterwards was probably dumb too. Especially since they replaced him with Norv Turner.

Watched the 30 for 30 short on the Hershal Walker trade...wow it was even dumber on the Vikings part than I thought.

It's also the reason we have to watch "America's team" every Sunday too.

Fuck them for making the Cowboys dynasty and now we are stuck watching them even though they suck donkey balls.

I think it all comes down to this. Do you think Ben is a better playoff QB than Peyton?
Nope. But it's close. I think Ben is trending downward and has been ever since the '08 win. The Steelers defense fell off a cliff and Ben couldn't pick up the slack.

Only reason I think Peyton is better is because he's given his team more opportunities.

Then break down each play and how the QB played compared to his oline/wrs/rbs etc and how well the defense he played against was playing as well. Just looking at wins without any context is invalid. Once you finish, please let me know I'd be happy to go over it.

Good thing I didn't once say that in any of my posts then.

Dragon

Banned
I miss Maddox too.

cr4bDt1.gif

Hindl

"But he is banking on the convicts lacking the crocodile-running skills shown by Roger Moore’s 007 in the Bond movie Live and Let Die when he escapes from an island using the reptiles as stepping stones."

I want that dude designing my prison

MechDX

Colts getting sued by Texas A&M for repeated use of the term "12th Man". Have been warning them since 2006 and the Colts have ignored the warnings

lol fuck the Colts.

Spinluck

I'm hearing that Irsay would hand Saban full control over Indy if Saban decided to come here. Meaning Grigs gets canned.

He wants so badly to find his Belichick/Walsh/Shula/Johnson or whatever, yeah, you're about a decade and a half late on this "I want to win multiple SBs" attitude. He talks shit about the Peyton era's disappointments after the dude dragged a Jim Caldwell coached team to the SB. It's like he refuses to blame himself. You let Polian stay here while he got worse and worse after 06-07 and then gave use over a decade of Dungy and Caldwell, like wtf? You start fresh and you bring in Grigson and Pagano, and then you wait till your QB pees blood to see that maybe better coaching is essential to having a better team.

At least now, he's realizing that hiring a dud could be a huge set back and that Luck needs better coaches to help bring him along. This is the same Luck except he's not making game saving plays as often and is turning the ball over more. Maybe this is like year 4 with Peyton except Luck's body is breaking down. Hopefully if the next coach turns out to suck, he's gone much quicker.

MechDX

I'm hearing that Irsay would hand Saban full control over Indy if Saban decided to come here. Meaning Grigs gets canned.

He wants so badly to find his Belichick/Walsh/Shula/Johnson or whatever, yeah, you're about a decade and a half late on this "I want to win multiple SBs" attitude. He talks shit about the Peyton era's disappointments after the dude dragged a Jim Caldwell coached team to the SB. It's like he refuses to blame himself. You let Polian stay here while he got worse and worse after 06-07 and then gave use over a decade of Dungy and Caldwell, like wtf? You start fresh and you bring in Grigson and Pagano, and then you wait till your QB pees blood to see that maybe better coaching is essential to having a better team.

At least now, he's realizing that hiring a dud could be a huge set back and that Luck needs better coaches to help bring him along. This is the same Luck except he's not making game saving plays as often and is turning the ball over more. Maybe this is like year 4 with Peyton except Luck's body is breaking down. Hopefully if the next coach turns out to suck, he's gone much quicker.

Im a prophet!

Oh and :

Loki-gifs-loki-thor-2011-31011049-500-275.gif

TheFatOne

Eli Manning is this enigma to me. Just a few years ago I could seriously debate whether I would take him over Brady for one clutch drive. On the one hand those two playoff runs were insane, but the man has only had those two playoff runs to his name. Hasn't been back to the playoffs since 2011. He has been in the league since 2004 yet his teams have only made the playoffs five times. I have some real questions on whether or not Eli can duplicate or come close to what he did in 2007, and 2010.

Draxal

Eli Manning is this enigma to me. Just a few years ago I could seriously debate whether I would take him over Brady for one clutch drive. On the one hand those two playoff runs were insane, but the man has only had those two playoff runs to his name. Hasn't been back to the playoffs since 2011. He has been in the league since 2004 yet his teams have only made the playoffs five times. I have some real questions on whether or not Eli can duplicate or come close to what he did in 2007, and 2010.

Giants just don't have the talent on the team, the D is BAAAAD.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Would you really want to give Saban full control knowing that he'll probably be locked into the position for 4+ years simply due to the money Irsay will give him?

Top Bottom