• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 10 |OT| - A Fraud is Not Clearly Better Than Blaine Gabbert

Dragon

Banned
QB wins are almost as important as pitcher wins.

http://www.footballdb.com/stats/qb-records.html?sort=pct

LAT_A6jpf_X3QRwSwFQHMn-ia5z9_jW-b0ULvxqGKMA

Mohamed Sanu is the best QB ever...

Dragon

Banned

ParityBit

We can disagree. When I took the debate seriously, you ignored my post. Not sure what else I was supposed to do? If you can adequately explain why the regular season is ignored in favor of the 11 games Eli played in the postseason, it'd be a cool way to continue it.

I am only talking about playoffs. I think Manning is one of the best regular season QB's. But when saying one of the best ever, I think his playoff record/performance is a knock on his legacy.

Keep in mind, this is splitting hairs. 1st ballot, etc, etc.

Dragon

Banned
I am only talking about playoffs. I think Manning is one of the best regular season QB's. But when saying one of the best ever, I think his playoff record/performance is a knock on his legacy.

Keep in mind, this is splitting hairs. 1st ballot, etc, etc.

Eli hasn't even been in the playoffs since 2011. I dunno, like I get that Peyton hasn't been as good as his regular season self. But he's playing against better teams. There are only a few guys like Montana and Eli who have playoff numbers than regular season numbers. Do you think that Eli tries harder or elevates his game in the playoffs? Because at that point, then you're saying there's something different about the regular season for him. Or maybe, he's made some incredible throws in the postseason and gotten lucky in other aspects?

Peyton Manning is the only QB in the league who is excused from winning games.

That's why that stat article is bullshit. You can't talk wins with Peyton, when you do here comes the litany of excuses why everything else but wins matter.

Hindl

Or try to take the debate seriously.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features...eason-quarterback-of-all-time-is-eli-manning/

Obviously we can disagree, but whatever.

From that same article:

But this is a somewhat ridiculous list. The top five consists of one great quarterback, Joe Montana, along with two pretty good ones (Eli Manning and Flacco). It also has Trent Dilfer and Jeff Hostetler. Meanwhile, Brady ranks just 43rd by this measure. His postseason record is excellent — 18-8, not counting one game where he was hurt and replaced by Drew Bledsoe. But because the Patriots were favored in most of those games, he doesn’t get much credit for it. You’d have expected them to go about 17-9 based on Elo ratings.

They do all this analysis based on their own measurements, and the end result says Trent Dilfer is one of the greatest postseason QBs of all time. That article doesn't really say anything noteworthy

Trey

I am deathly afraid of these bills linebackers getting wrecked by Chan Gailey's screen game. I hope these dudes finally get their head out of their ass and start making tackles.

MRSA

Banned
So Amari Cooper, Latavius Murray, and Rodney Hudson all missed practice yesterday. Fuck you Mike Mitchell!!!! Zombie Al used a 2nd rounder on you and repay us like this?!

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I am deathly afraid of these bills linebackers getting wrecked by Chan Gailey's screen game. I hope these dudes finally get their head out of their ass and start making tackles.

It's going to be a good game regardless. Grudges all over the place.

Dragon

Banned
Peyton Manning is the only QB in the league who is excused from winning games.

That's why that stat article is bullshit. You can't talk wins with Peyton, when you do here comes the litany of excuses why everything else but wins matter.

Do you think judging QBs by wins is fair? Do you think Rivers is not as good as Andy Dalton? Peyton's teams have consistently won in the regular season.

Big Ben has some really horrible playoff games. But his team won 67% of the time so they don't matter when judging him against other QBs? QBs are important but they aren't the only reason teams lose games.

eznark

Banned
Always baffling to me when people use obvious team stats to "settle" arguments about individual players.

Joe Thomas must be one of the worst LT's in history I guess.

Do you think judging QBs by wins is fair? Do you think Rivers is not as good as Andy Dalton? Peyton's teams have consistently won in the regular season.

Big Ben has some really horrible playoff games. But his team won 67% of the time so they don't matter when judging him against other QBs? QBs are important but they aren't the only reason teams lose games.

Do you think NOT judging QBs by wins is fair?

People talk out of the side of their face with Peyton. When it's the regular season, look at all the wins! He carries that team! 12-4 every year! When the playoffs role around the entire argument is reversed - "Oh, well his defense...it's a team sport...

Wins are a part of the equation. As many have said here, Peyton has either underperformed or flat out played like shit in a not inconsiderate amount of games that indirectly or directly contributed to losses. That matters.

The funny part is that Peyton's brother Eli has the OPPOSITE reputation! Look at this season, scores of people hand waving the Giants woes, because come playoff time..

If you are going to make any comparison of any quarterback (especially if you compare them directly) you have to count everything, including wins.

Trey

It's going to be a good game regardless. Grudges all over the place.

Hb smashes and off tackle screens all game. Jets te about to go off too, cuz our safeties are playing almost as mediocre as our linebackers. I'm not too worried about bmarshall and decker, I'm worried about Fitz just taking what the Bills defense gives him, and lately the Bills have been in a very gifting mood

On that same token, I expect Clay to have himself a decent game himself. I think him and Robert woods are going to get a lot of looks. Somehow I doubt Tyrod is only going to throw 12 times tonight.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a play action deep strike to Watkins on the first play of the game though.

eznark

Banned

People talk out of the side of their face with Peyton. When it's the regular season, look at all the wins! He carries that team! 12-4 every year! When the playoffs role around the entire argument is reversed - "Oh, well his defense...it's a team sport...

Wins are a part of the equation. As many have said here, Peyton has either underperformed or flat out played like shit in a not inconsiderate amount of games that indirectly or directly contributed to losses. That matters.

The funny part is that Peyton's brother Eli has the OPPOSITE reputation! Look at this season, scores of people hand waving the Giants woes, because come playoff time..

If you are going to make any comparison of any quarterback (especially if you compare them directly) you have to count everything, including wins.

Would you put Joe Thomas in the hall of fame?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

to be fair several of those playoff loses were against a team that was cheating. So to me that's why he's the best QB of this era.

Dragon

Banned

I'm not talking about this group of people that you're either making up or are not here. My conversation with ParityBit was based on his assertion that (playoff) wins were above all else when judging QBs. And I think that's strictly not true.

The Giants have the worst defense in the NFL (at least based on yards) this year. Eli is having the best season of his career so far. Which kinda backs up my point that their mediocre record is not his fault whatsoever.

Then your equation is flawed. As I said judge them for how they play, QB wins isn't a stat at all, either preseason, season or post season. If you're using Wins to compare QBs then your argument is invalid, it's that simple. Come back and try again when you learn to separate the two.

eznark

Banned
Then you're equation is flawed. As I said judge them for how they play, QB wins isn't an stat at all, either preseason, season or post season. If you're using Wins to compare QBs then your argument is invalid, it's that simple. Come back and try again when you learn to separate the two.

He is a fan of Terry Bradshaw. The only stat that can matter in his world is wins.

Crisco

Banned
Again, the main knock against Peyton is playing like absolute dog shit in playoff games where his team was heavily favored, directly contributing to the L. Its not like he was throwing for 300 yards and 4 TDs in a loss where his defense totally blew it. Dude straight stank up the joint against 4-6 seeds on several occasions.

Striker

Again, the main knock against Peyton is playing like absolute dog shit in playoff games where his team was heavily favored, directly contributing to the L. Its not like he was throwing for 300 yards and 4 TDs in a loss where his defense totally blew it. Dude straight stank up the joint against 4-6 seeds on several occasions.
Coincidentally those were often the Chargers it felt like, and SD could never knock off the Patriots.

Why do you only count wins against a QB?

I don't. Are you saying the Left Tackle is just as guilty for the loss as the Quarterback is?

I'm not talking about this group of people that you're either making up or are not here. My conversation with ParityBit was based on his assertion that (playoff) wins were above all else when judging QBs. And I think that's strictly not true.

The Giants have the worst defense in the NFL (at least based on yards) this year. Eli is having the best season of his career so far. Which kinda backs up my point that their mediocre record is not his fault whatsoever.

And that's fine. Wins are not the only measure. They ARE a measure. Peyton is destined for Canton, and in the same breath you have to mention how he came up short so many times in the playoffs, even at times when the deck seemed stacked completely in his favor.

Then your equation is flawed. As I said judge them for how they play, QB wins isn't a stat at all, either preseason, season or post season. If you're using Wins to compare QBs then your argument is invalid, it's that simple. Come back and try again when you learn to separate the two.

DeaconKnowledge said:

You cannot remove a player completely from the outcome of the game. If Peyton was his usual self throughout years of playoffs we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Cdy compared "QB wins" to pitcher wins. If an ace plays like shit in the playoffs, gives up 7 runs and loses, should that not count against him? He went 22-6 this year!

Top Bottom