• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 11 |OT| - A Fraud‘s Time

And how do you expect players to get better when the coaches don't prepare them for what they are going to see? Why would Cam Erving possibly look good when when all week he was told the DL was going to two gap?

I really think the losing just gets to them. They don't consciously want to cut corners, but going that extra mile starts to seem pointless, and it gets easy to just punch the clock

How the fuck do the coaches not watch this season's game tape? Good thing BG isn't here or this might break him.

jmdajr

http://nfl.nbcsports.com/2015/11/19/andy-dalton-and-the-problems-of-familiarity/

Interesting read on Andy Dalton. He's very good against teams that have not faced him recently, but much worse against foes familiar with him. It's not just facing better defenses; it really is a function of opponent familiarity

Makes sense to me. That's why I thought Texans had a chance. Hell we only lost the last match up because we started Mallet. And that had nothing to do with a torn pec. He throws just the same when healthy!

And how do you expect players to get better when the coaches don't prepare them for what they are going to see? Why would Cam Erving possibly look good when when all week he was told the DL was going to two gap?

I really think the losing just gets to them. They don't consciously want to cut corners, but going that extra mile starts to seem pointless, and it gets easy to just punch the clock
I can't remember who said it but losing is a disease. It affects everyone slowly but surely. The only way you don't know the Steelers don't 2 Gap anymore is if you had no inclination to check that sort of thing.

Godslay

Banned
40 degrees is not cold.

Depends on where you live obviously. 40 still isn't pleasant to be outside on average. Unless you are coming out of a deep winter. I used 40 because that's what most people use as the cutoff to determine cold weather play. It's not something I cooked up.

In terms of how Manning plays in cold weather, here's some figures for you:

<20 degrees and average wind of 8.7 mph:
260.7 yards, 2.3 TDs, 1.0 Ints, 69.67% completion percentage, 87.2 Rating, 6.3 YPA

20-29 degrees average wind of 12.8 mph:
209.3 yards, 1.2 TDs, 1.0 Ints, 56.37% completion percentage, 70.4 Rating, 5.2 YPA

30-39 degrees average wind of 9.1 mph:
260.6 yards, 1.5 TDs, 1.4 Ints, 64.51% completion percentage, 85.0 Rating, 7.9 YPA

You'll notice that some of these games were played in the playoffs, so it's expected that his numbers will take a dip as all playoff QBs numbers do to some degree.

squicken

Dallas offense has been blue balled for two months. Phins going to get worked. Definitely play your Cowboys. Would be something if they won the division. They would at least be a worthy playoff team, better than their record

I can't remember who said it but losing is a disease. It affects everyone slowly but surely. The only way you don't know the Steelers don't 2 Gap anymore is if you had no inclination to check that sort of thing.

I have said that before when talking about tanking in football. Can't do it. You need your young players from previous regimes, and they can't be of the mindset that when something goes bad it is "here we go again". No fatalists, b/c fatalist quit

Line_HTX

DeAndre Hopkins missed two practices in a row because of his knee, but he will play against Jets.

Meanwhile, Weeden was like "It's been crazy, I got in on a flight late last night. It's been a whirlwind."

Must've been a 30 minute flight from DFW if it was that late.

Depends on where you live obviously. 40 still isn't pleasant to be outside on average. Unless you are coming out of a deep winter. I used 40 because that's what most people use as the cutoff to determine cold weather play. It's not something I cooked up.

In terms of how Manning plays in cold weather, here's some figures for you:

<20 degrees and average wind of 8.7 mph:
260.7 yards, 2.3 TDs, 1.0 Ints, 69.67% completion percentage, 87.2 Rating, 6.3 YPA

20-29 degrees average wind of 12.8 mph:
209.3 yards, 1.2 TDs, 1.0 Ints, 56.37% completion percentage, 70.4 Rating, 5.2 YPA

30-39 degrees average wind of 9.1 mph:
260.6 yards, 1.5 TDs, 1.4 Ints, 64.51% completion percentage, 85.0 Rating, 7.9 YPA

You'll notice that some of these games were played in the playoffs, so it's expected that his numbers will take a dip as all playoff QBs numbers do to some degree.

Some context to those numbers would be nice Slay.

Godslay

Banned
Some context to those numbers would be nice Slay.

Via PFR:

Sorted by temp:
big-table1-pm640x302.jpg

Sorted by year/age:
big-table2-pm640x302.jpg

I want no part of this decision, you're on your own! ;)

But.... I thought we were bros :(

Yes, Bradford with an aging Celek was tearing up the Dolphins early in the game, and Celek has been pretty low key other than blocking in recent years. Romo back with Witten who has been a consistent target is going to rip Miami apart

I have the same exact choice. What say you?

Yeah I think I'll go with Romo, Cutler faces a good Denver D.

Screw the Cowboys.

Go Dolphins!

#Finsup!! I'll be going to a Dolphins bar to watch the game so I'll be rooting for Miami the whole time in case you doubted my allegiance :D

I like how he denies he's obsessed with the Pats yet he was talking about the Pats in the run up to last week's game against the Jets.

Isn't that why he took the Bills job??

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
DeAndre Hopkins missed two practices in a row because of his knee, but he will play against Jets.

Meanwhile, Weeden was like "It's been crazy, I got in on a flight late last night. It's been a whirlwind."

Must've been a 30 minute flight from DFW if it was that late.

hobby to DFW is lie 40 minutes.

MechDX

Weeden offered to drive down from Dallas after he was claimed. #Texans got him on a flight late last night.

What a guy. That's Degas new QB man!

Godslay

Banned
As I thought - only 3 games under 20 degrees. One of them to the Titans who went 7-9 in the 2013 season.

You didn't argue over record of opponent or quality.

You said cold. Don't move the goal posts.

In the games that are <20 degrees, he's got 7 TDs and 3 Ints.

Not to mention that the games that are 20-29 have an average wind of 12.8 mph which brings the actual feels like temperature down even further.

So for a 30 degree day for instance, with 10 mph of wind, the wind chill is about 16 degrees.

I have to go to a meeting now, adios!

I'm not moving goalposts. The first data point that Slay posted looks good on its own, but it's got a sample size of three games. The next datapoint has double that. The third 14. Both are less favorable, and the third similar wind to the first.

You didn't argue over record of opponent or quality.

You said cold. Don't move the goal posts.

In the games that are <20 degrees, he's got 7 TDs and 3 Ints.

Not to mention that the games that are 20-29 have an average wind of 12.8 mph which brings the actual feels like temperature down even further.

So for a 30 degree day for instance, with 10 mph of wind, the wind chill is about 16 degrees.

I have to go to a meeting now, adios!
Forget my Tits comment, but the rest still stands.

Godslay

Banned
I'm not moving goalposts. The first data point that Slay posted looks good on its own, but it's got a sample size of three games. The next datapoint has double that. The third 14. Both are less favorable, and the third similar wind to the first.

Yeah, and I argued that the wind is more troublesome than the cold.

Data backs that up.

Godslay

Banned
By your own data in the third data point the wind was only .4 mph stronger. Manning was .500 in those games. If less than 40 is cold, then your third datapoint refutes your wind claim.

I don't give a fuck about win/loss.

Individually, he played well enough.

This isn't a tennis match.

<20 = 8.7 MPH
20-29 = 12.8 MPH
30-39 = 9.1 MPH

<20 and 30-39 numbers are very similar.
20-29 (with higher wind by about ~3 MPH) numbers are lower. Guy struggles with sharp winds. Ball unwinds itself.

Now I have to go.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I dont know if there's a valid argument that manning does not drop off in cold weather games.

I don't give a fuck about win/loss.

Individually, he played well enough.

This isn't a tennis match.

<20 = 8.7 MPH
20-29 = 12.8 MPH
30-39 = 9.1 MPH

<20 and 30-39 numbers are very similar.
20-29 (with higher wind by about ~3 MPH) numbers are lower. Guy struggles with sharp winds. Ball unwinds itself.

Now I have to go.
His individual numbers in 30 degree plus weather aren't good! A near 1:1 TD/INT ratio, cmon Slay!

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I hope Farooq comes back.

Don't really care about the X's and O's of other teams (I read them but I'm mainly concerned with the Lions) but I always appreciated how he broke down plays and his analysis of the game. One of the scholars of NFLGAF along with squicken and LJ.

I noticed this last game but you can see subtle differences in the Jim Bob Cooter/Matthew Stafford.

For one, Troy Aikman commented on this, but we're not rotating running backs every play, which seemed to screw up the flow of the offense. The running game is still atrocious but the passing game has become somewhat better. Although Ameer Abdullah has gotten only 7 carries since Cooter took over the offense but I think that'll change after the terrible game Joique Bell had against the Packers.

Also we brought back some of those old Scott Linehan reverse/fake reverses which was good too see and actually worked on a couple of plays.

Stafford in particular was mentioning how Cooter was dialing up the right plays at the right time against the Packers in post game interviews.

jakncoke

Banned
I hope Farooq comes back.

Don't really care about the X's and O's of other teams (I read them but I'm mainly concerned with the Lions) but I always appreciated how he broke down plays and his analysis of the game. One of the scholars of NFLGAF along with squicken and LJ.

I noticed this last game but you can see subtle differences in the Jim Bob Cooter/Matthew Stafford.

For one, Troy Aikman commented on this, but we're not rotating running backs every play, which seemed to screw up the flow of the offense. The running game is still atrocious but the passing game has become somewhat better. Although Ameer Abdullah has gotten only 7 carries since Cooter took over the offense but I think that'll change after the terrible game Joique Bell had against the Packers.

Also we brought back some of those old Scott Linehan reverse/fake reverses which was good too see and actually worked on a couple of plays.

Stafford in particular was mentioning how Cooter was dialing up the right plays at the right time against the Packers in post game interviews.

or your own clearly :smugface:

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Up next on Darius Slay's shutdown tour is Raiders' explosive rookie WR Amari Cooper

ALLEN PARK -- Darius Slay is on a roll. After some bumps in the road earlier this season -- where the young Detroit Lions cornerback was beat for a trio of big gains despite tight coverage -- he's essentially shut down opposing receivers for more than a month.

Pro Football Focus grades Slay as the NFL's second-best cornerback the past five weeks, noting he's allowed just one reception for seven yards the last two games.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2015/11/detroit_lions_darius_slay_amar.html#incart_2box_sports

More at the link, but going into his 3rd season Darius Slay has been one of the leagues top DBs and a shutdown DB.

I wouldn't count on it. No offense to phins fans, they didn't even play well. The Eagles just played worse
None taken. They looked awful in the Eagles game. The weird thing with the Dolphins is they do flash at times as we saw against Houston and Tennessee. Granted, those teams suck, but they looked downright explosive. They just can't ever seem to make the leap to being a team that does it consistently.

Of the four Philbin seasons this has been the most unpredictable by far. Most games they are either blowing someone out or getting blown out whereas in the past every game seemed to go down to the wire. That's why I really have no idea what to expect against the Cowboys, especially with the uncertainty of Romo's health.

Top Bottom