• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 12 |OT| - A Fraud is Thankful

There is no one coach or GM that is the "answer". And that is Miami's problem. They are looking for a quick fix, magically plucking a Belichick out of the Ether rather than controlling the process themselves.

Dolphins need a plan. Hire a GM with the idea that this rebuild is going to take 5 years or more. draft to a philosophy, and stick to it no matter what. Make sure you nail the first and second round pick, even if they are at positions that won't immediately help your team. Get a pipeline of players and depth consistent with the team's selected vision, and STICK TO IT. Fans bitch but these things take time.

Do this and the coach hired is almost inconsequential. Most successful coaches around the league walked into (and likely will leave) a stable organization that will soldier on without them in a slightly altered direction.
You realize they tried this with Ireland and Sparano, right?

"Make sure you nail the first and second round pick." Ohhhhhhh, okay! Is that all?

You are living in a fantasy world if you think things are this simple. I don't disagree that stability is the ideal to strive for but stability for the sake of stability doesn't mean much if you don't have the QB, coach, personnel, etc. Tons and tons of teams try to do what you're talking about all the time and not all of them go all Browns and blow it up in 1 or 2 years. The question is how long do you tolerate mediocrity or worse when it's clearly going nowhere? Should the Titans have given Wisenhunt a contract extension?

But hey, it's easy for a Steelers fan to talk about how simple all of this is when they've had Ben Roethlisberger for over 10 years.

BigAT

Ryan MallShit filed for termination pay?!

Boy, being cancerous wasn't enough for your boney ass, aren't ya, you fucking low life cretin?

God I kind of wish Watt would snap him in half.

Was he ever even cancerous? I always got the impression he was simply lazy as fuck. Not a good look, certainly, but miles away from trying to turn the locker room against each other or something like that.

wOwaeT0.png

Ryan MallShit filed for termination pay?!

Boy, being cancerous wasn't enough for your boney ass, aren't ya, you fucking low life cretin?

God I kind of wish Watt would snap him in half.

Players can only do this once. It's essentially him wanting the rest of his base salary because he doesn't expect to be signed again this year

You realize they tried this with Ireland and Sparano, right?

"Make sure you nail the first and second round pick." Ohhhhhhh, okay! Is that all?

You are living in a fantasy world if you think things are this simple. I don't disagree that stability is the ideal to strive for but stability for the sake of stability doesn't mean much if you don't have the QB, coach, personnel, etc. Tons and tons of teams try to do what you're talking about all the time and not all of them go all Browns and blow it up in 1 or 2 years. The question is how long do you tolerate mediocrity or worse when it's clearly going nowhere? Should the Titans have given Wisenhunt a contract extension?

But hey, it's easy for a Steelers fan to talk about how simple all of this is when they've had Ben Roethlisberger for over 10 years.

I get that as a Dolphins fan your shtick is to bitch and feel sorry for yourself but I don't see why you have issue with this. As I said successful organizations from all major leagues operate like this (well except soccer as far as I see as they can just buy their roster).

There's nothing simple about it. But we know that what the Dolphins have been doing in recent years, hiring a GM, firing the coach, GM hires a coach, GM gets fired repeat certainly DOESN'T work.

Let's look at it a different way. The Leafs, who have been a professional team that has been irrelevant for a LOT longer than the Dolphins have, subscribe to the same willy nilly practices. They gave a coach 50 million over 8 years after firing a Stanley Cup winning coach. Meanwhile they still trot out the same underperforming talent year in and year out. Their process is such a mess they have no idea where to even start fixing it.

You complain about having no talent on the field. Do you think a coach will fix that? You need stability from the guy picking the players, for a good amount of time. That doesn't happen and ANY coach you pick will be fired.

Line_HTX

Was he ever even cancerous? I always got the impression he was simply lazy as fuck. Not a good look, certainly, but miles away from trying to turn the locker room against each other or something like that.

You got a point there.

I'm just mad that he insulted everyone's intelligence and not giving a fuck more than anything.

The NFL ref didn't know he wasn't in the NCAA anymore.

http://deadspin.com/report-bad-call-at-end-of-patriots-bills-game-was-beca-1744420521

Speaking to a pool reporter, referee Gene Steratore said “the receiver [Watkins] gave himself up voluntarily in the field of play.”

Well, here’s the Globe’s Ben Volin, citing a source “from the NFL Referees Association, who has officiated dozens of NFL games.” Volin’s source says that Steratore didn’t believe what he said, and was just covering for his head linesman, who is in his second NFL season after moving up from the Pac-12.

The source said Walker mistakenly applied the college rule instead of the NFL rule. Just because Watkins went backward does not mean he gave himself up as a runner – running sideways or backward is still considered trying to “advance” the football. For the runner to surrender himself, he has to truly give up on the play – such as when a quarterback slides before taking a hit.

“In the NFL, the way it’s always been officiated is if a guy gets out of bounds, you give it to him and stop the clock,” the source said. “But he called it like the college rule. I’m not sure he knew the NFL rule."

LOL

I get that as a Dolphins fan your shtick is to bitch and feel sorry for yourself but I don't see why you have issue with this. As I said successful organizations from all major leagues operate like this (well expect soccer as far as I see as they can just buy their roster).

There's nothing simple about it. But we know that what the Dolphins have been doing in recent years, hiring a GM, firing the coach, GM hires a coach, GM gets fired repeat certainly DOESN'T work.

Let's look at it a different way. The Leafs, who have been a professional team that has been irrelevant for a LOT longer than the Dolphins have, subscribe to the same willy nilly practices. They gave a coach 50 million over 8 years after firing a Stanley Cup winning coach. Meanwhile they still trot out the same underperforming talent year in and year out. Their process is such a mess they have no idea where to even start fixing it.

You complain about having no talent on the field. Do you think a coach will fix that? You need stability from the guy picking the players, for a good amount of time. That doesn't happen and ANY coach you pick will be fired.
Do you honestly think I'm arguing that just hiring a coach is going to fix all of the problems? You think I don't realize that a clean sweep of the front office (and possibly the roster as well) is the only chance this team has of ever being relevant?

I have "bitched" for years and years in this thread about how Stephen Ross is an atrocious owner that specializes in half measures resulting in a spiral of perpetual mediocrity. I'm surprised you haven't picked up on one of those thoughts over the years.

All I'm saying is it's not as easy as you make it sound. Go ahead and do a clean sweep but don't sit there and act like it's some golden ticket to 15 years of success. It's a risk that probably won't pay off because unfortunately franchise QBs like the one you have and great coaches like the many you've had don't grow on trees.

If we're talking modern day Dolphins I think the approach is to clean out the FO entirely. Get rid of Tannenbaum, Hickey, and the entire coaching staff. Bring in a new GM and HC together just like they did in '08 with Sparano and Ireland. Allow those guys to pick and choose who they want from the current roster and work on building from there. I think there are some good young pieces to build with.

The difference between you and I is I realize the odds of success are low, even with the right approach.

Bowser

PHI @ DET
CAR @ DAL
CHI @ GB

BUF @ KC
STL @ CIN
NO @ HOU
TB @ IND
SD @ JAX
MIA @ NYJ
MIN @ ATL
NYG @ WAS
OAK @ TEN

ARI @ SF
PIT @ SEA

NE @ DEN *upset special*

BAL @ CLE

Trey

It looks like he was watching James White if he leaked out.

so you mean his primary responsibility on a jailbreak blitz is a late RB leak out while the Patriots number one option is running wide ass open in the middle of the field? an RB leak out he's not even positioned for because he's bailing?

that's even worse!

LevelNth

Banned
Everyone can breathe a sigh of relief, Kaepernick's surgery was successful with no major complications.

Whether the defense reading microchip implanted will work is another story, but the bright side is it will be very, very easy to tell if it does.

LevelNth

Banned
Literally the worst example you could've possibly given.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet

And before Ben was there? Did the Steelers abandon every tenet of their philosophy and blow it up over and over?

look at Duke Williams, guarding no one in particular. Least of which is Brady's hot read on the play.

He's responsible for the running back.

e -

Oh, wrong guy. He's got single high responsibility.

so you mean his primary responsibility on a jailbreak blitz is a late RB leak out while the Patriots number one option is running wide ass open in the middle of the field? an RB leak out he's not even positioned for because he's bailing?

that's even worse!

yeah like I said I was looking at the wrong guy

Do you honestly think I'm arguing that just hiring a coach is going to fix all of the problems? You think I don't realize that a clean sweep of the front office (and possibly the roster as well) is the only chance this team has of ever being relevant?

I have "bitched" for years and years in this thread about how Stephen Ross is an atrocious owner that specializes in half measures resulting in a spiral of perpetual mediocrity. I'm surprised you haven't picked up on one of those thoughts over the years.

All I'm saying is it's not as easy as you make it sound. Go ahead and do a clean sweep but don't sit there and act like it's some golden ticket to 15 years of success. It's a risk that probably won't pay off because unfortunately franchise QBs like the one you have and great coaches like the many you've had don't grow on trees.

If we're talking modern day Dolphins I think the approach is to clean out the FO entirely. Get rid of Tannenbaum, Hickey, and the entire coaching staff. Bring in a new GM and HC together just like they did in '08 with Sparano and Ireland. Allow those guys to pick and choose who they want from the current roster and work on building from there. I think there are some good young pieces to build with.

The difference between you and I is I realize the odds of success are low, even with the right approach.

So you're just ...bitching and feeling sorry for yourself? Okay gotcha.

If it was easy every team would be the Steelers and Packers.

As for Sparano, Sparano's team was the last Dolphins squad that actually had an identity. I think his problem was riding a fad offense for one too many stops.

MechDX

When he got benched stories came out from Jayson Braddock on Twitter about locker room discontent. Mallett cut and the stories stopped. May be just coincidence

Trey

Oh, wrong guy. He's got single high responsibility.

yeah, no. no one is guarding Amendola at all. Everyone else is in man. It's a safety blitz so that ball is coming out hot. Duke Williams could have sat exactly where he started on the play an came away with a clean pick six. I mean he even lines up across from Amedola, and abandons him immediately.

And he has the nerve to miss the tackle as well.

So you're just ...bitching and feeling sorry for yourself? Okay gotcha.

If it was easy every team would be the Steelers and Packers.

As for Sparano, Sparano's team was the last Dolphins squad that actually had an identity. I think his problem was riding a fad offense for one too many stops.
No, I'm bitching at you for coming in here and stating the obvious that 99% of Dolphins fans have been saying for years and years. I just find your hubris to be off-putting at times, almost like you can't imagine why the rest of the world can't figure out something that's so simple to you.

And when it comes to me personally of course I'm feeling sorry for myself. Football is the worst.

And before Ben was there? Did the Steelers abandon every tenet of their philosophy and blow it up over and over?
No because they had other great QB's, coaches, owners, etc. Why is this so difficult for you guys to grasp? It's not easy to achieve that type of sustained success. If it was everyone would be doing it.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Just jump and deal with it, like the rest of us.

Best you can hope for is that Riverboat Ron hits a royal flush.

Half the team is dead, AFC is utter shit making us look better than we are.

IF we make it to the SB, then we'll lose to Cam Newton.

Regular season Eli almost beat the Pats.

Texans gonna stop them

I was just reading the article about 10-0 teams over at ESPN and the chances are damn good for New England to win it all. Like 33%.

I'm still hoping that someone in the AFC can stand up and beat them but the Patriots own the Steelers, Bengals, Colts, and whoever else. Doesn't look good.

Hey it's not all bad.

At least you didn't lose at home to the worst team with the best QB in the history of the NFL.

Fuck you

bionic77

Really afraid the Pats are going to repeat.

Anyone want to talk me down off the ledge?
This season is the worst.

I can't talk you down but I can agree to push you off the ledge. It is better that way.

I just need someone to push me off after you.

Top Bottom