• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 12 |OT| - A Fraud is Thankful

lEaWPvL.png

MechDX

#Texans DE @JJWatt now has 19 multi-sack games which is the 2nd-most of any player during his first five @NFL seasons (Reggie White had 24).

I wonder why it's so hard to find a good coaching staff. There are so many coaches out there, you'd think you could find a few competent ones after multiple tries.

Armando just wrote on this very topic, he's got several good articles up on how terrible we are.

So what kind of coach might the Dolphins want to attract?

Let's start with eliminating the coach-in-training, shall we?

While some within the Dolphins organization might value youth and energy and the possibilities of uncovering an up-and-comer, the formula has failed the Dolphins miserably.

Cam Cameron was a first-time NFL head coach hired by the Dolphins. Failed.

Tony Sparano was a first-time NFL head coach hired by the Dolphins. Failed.

Joe Philbin was a first-time NFL head coach hired by the Dolphins. Failed.

Even Nick Saban, a first-time NFL head coach, found the position distasteful once he got in it, deciding instead that the college game suited him better.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2015/11/time-to-start-searching-for-the-next-coach-thats-a-text-i-got-from-a-source-a-former-nfl-club-executive-who-witnessed-the.html

Bread

Banned
I don't really care how it's spelled as I probably spelled wrong last night.

Just thought it was funny in the context of the conversation.

But yeah, feel free to go overboard and call me a pedantic dick over a joke.
No, the joke was that I didn't know who you were talking about because he is so forgettable. Don't mistake my whoosh for agreeing with dragon that's gross

eznark

Banned

They need to bring in a proven winner like Jimmy Johnson or a tough as nails, no nonsense retread like Dave Wanstadt.

Hmmm, what coaching archetype have they not tried? Elderly guy trying to get back into the game! What's Bill Parcells up to these days anyway?

They need to bring in a proven winner like Jimmy Johnson or a tough as nails, no nonsense retread like Dave Wanstadt.

Hmmm, what coaching archetype have they not tried? Elderly guy trying to get back into the game! What's Bill Parcells up to these days anyway?

I think the biggest issue with Ross is that he doesn't clean house, he keeps dead weight from the previous staff around and forces them to work together. I wouldn't doubt he does the same here. Both types of coaches have had success and I tend to support the newer up and comer over an experienced coach. (I preferred Phiblin Vs Fisher)

eznark

Banned
I think the biggest issue with Ross is that he doesn't clean house, he keeps dead weight from the previous staff around and forces them to work together. I wouldn't doubt he does the same here. Both types of coaches have had success and I tend to support the newer up and comer over an experienced coach. (I preferred Phiblin Vs Fisher)

Yeah, getting Philbin was a fucking coup. It's ludicrous to look back on that hire and say it was a mistake at the time. He was a huge get. So was Saban. That article is revisionist bullshit.

And maybe the problem isn't so much that you're hiring bad coaches but that you aren't matching them with talent progression. For instance, Tannehill and Suh willhave one foot out the door by the time the new coach gets his entire system in place in 2017-18.

Gut the place, bring someone in and let them rebuild. Front office, coaching staff, player personnel, everything. Do it right. What do you have to lose? Make the Dolphins ready for when Brady and Belicheat are finally black soxed out of the game.

Have they tried the long tenured archetype yet? Nah, that'll never work.

Jim Caldwell is now a seasoned NFL head coach and should be available. Wonderful pedigree.

Josh McDaniels might be up for a head coaching job if he wants to leave New England, and he's a former -- failed -- head coach.

Jim Mora Jr.

Or give old Dougie Marrone a call. Heard he's looking for an HC job and will let you name your price.

ralhXzW.jpg

Now there's an idea...

Godslay

Banned
No, the joke was that I didn't know who you were talking about because he is so forgettable. Don't mistake my whoosh for agreeing with dragon that's gross

Wasn't pointed at you, I know you can take a joke most of the time.

I could see how it looks that way in the post, apologies.

TheFatOne

Jim Caldwell is now a seasoned NFL head coach and should be available. Wonderful pedigree.

Josh McDaniels might be up for a head coaching job if he wants to leave New England, and he's a former -- failed -- head coach.

Jim Mora Jr.

Or give old Dougie Marrone a call. Heard he's looking for an HC job and will let you name your price.

Holy shit I forgot about Marrone. Leaving the Bills seemed to be career suicide for that guy.

yeah Marrone really fucked up. I think he's washing someone's underwear right now.

I was kinda trying to decide who fucked up more... Dwayne Bowe or Doug Marrone. Doug Marrone was one half-decent season away from naming his price somewhere. Bowe, I think, has taken like 4 snaps all season.

Fox318

Jim Mora Jr.

Eric Mangini is just waiting for the call

eznark

Banned
yeah Marrone really fucked up. I think he's washing someone's underwear right now.

I was kinda trying to decide who fucked up more... Dwayne Bowe or Doug Marrone. Doug Marrone was one half-decent season away from naming his price somewhere. Bowe, I think, has taken like 4 snaps all season.

He's the assistant head coach in Jacksonville I think. Will probably have the head coaching job sooner than later if he wants it. I think he is doing fine.

MechDX

Isn't Marrone in the Jags staff?

Yeah, getting Philbin was a fucking coup. It's ludicrous to look back on that hire and say it was a mistake at the time. He was a huge get. So was Saban. That article is revisionist bullshit.

And maybe the problem isn't so much that you're hiring bad coaches but that you aren't matching them with talent progression. For instance, Tannehill and Suh willhave one foot out the door by the time the new coach gets his entire system in place in 2017-18.

Gut the place, bring someone in and let them rebuild. Front office, coaching staff, player personnel, everything. Do it right. What do you have to lose? Make the Dolphins ready for when Brady and Belicheat are finally black soxed out of the game.

Yup I agree although the Miami media saw losing out on Fisher as another failure on Ross. But you're right we need to start fresh and that's what the previous owner tried to do with Parcells and yeah it didn't work but it's the right approach and Ross should have cleaned house when he took ownership and he still hasn't learned. And our player development has been atrocious which is why we are always spending on high price FA.

TheFatOne

He's the assistant head coach in Jacksonville I think. Will probably have the head coaching job sooner than later if he wants it. I think he is doing fine.

I'm not sure about this one eznark. He basically quit on his team by opting out or that's how it appears from the outside looking in. Hard to take a chance on a hc like that and convince players he won't bail out. He went from a hc to an assistant, and I think it's going to be a while before people forget exactly how he left Buffalo.

There is no one coach or GM that is the "answer". And that is Miami's problem. They are looking for a quick fix, magically plucking a Belichick out of the Ether rather than controlling the process themselves.

Dolphins need a plan. Hire a GM with the idea that this rebuild is going to take 5 years or more. draft to a philosophy, and stick to it no matter what. Make sure you nail the first and second round pick, even if they are at positions that won't immediately help your team. Get a pipeline of players and depth consistent with the team's selected vision, and STICK TO IT. Fans bitch but these things take time.

Do this and the coach hired is almost inconsequential. Most successful coaches around the league walked into (and likely will leave) a stable organization that will soldier on without them in a slightly altered direction.

The best teams in all the major leagues stick to that philosophy.

eznark

Banned
I'm not sure about this one eznark. He basically quit on his team by opting out or that's how it appears from the outside looking in. Hard to take a chance on a hc like that and convince players he won't bail out. He went from a hc to an assistant, and I think it's going to be a while before people forget exactly how he left Buffalo.

He was literally hired weeks later to be the AHC. Not just the line coach, but the AHC, which you give to a guy to make sure he can't be interviewed by other teams. He'll be fine. I mean, as fine as he would be if he were fired. NFL coaching is so incestuous.

Line_HTX

Ryan MallShit filed for termination pay?!

Boy, being cancerous wasn't enough for your boney ass, aren't ya, you fucking low life cretin?

God I kind of wish Watt would snap him in half.

Ryan MallShit filed for termination pay?!

Boy, being cancerous wasn't enough for your boney ass, aren't ya, you fucking low life cretin?

God I kind of wish Watt would snap him in half.

Ryan Leaf can be hired for that job, and he will do it for any cocaine on Mallet's person when he snaps him in half.

TheFatOne

He was literally hired weeks later to be the AHC. Not just the line coach, but the AHC, which you give to a guy to make sure he can't be interviewed by other teams. He'll be fine. I mean, as fine as he would be if he were fired. NFL coaching is so incestuous.

That's a very good point, and something I had not considered.

Top Bottom