• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 12 |OT| - A Fraud is Thankful

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I'm kind of wondering if Squicken is on to something with letting Brady take some garbage deep shots. Once that started happening, the offense of the Pats went to hell.

Feels disrespectful like teams started doing to Manning, but he never overcame it because he couldn't make the throws with any consistency.

Probably won't carry forward because Belichick will adjust, but it's interesting.

That was on the bizarre play calling. For some reason McD tried to ground and pound, at one point they ran something like 5 run plays in a row stemming 2 drives, when even against a poor running defense, this team struggles to play that way. I get the concept, but why get away from what worked?

Maybe if Brady hadn't been deflating footballs the NFL could have focused on fixing the officiating.

Not that it would have mattered as long as that clown Blandino is in charge, but yeah.

Even if Brady were deflating footballs, do we really think the NFL would have spent any time on officiating this offseason? Even though it was obviously an issue in last year's playoffs.

My point wasn't that the NFL persecuted Brady, but that the NFL has it's priorities wrong. It's not a lot to ask that the league hire full time referees and hold them to a standard, which is something they don't do today.

Line_HTX

Gronk before going on the team bus. No brace or crutches
CVCTAHVUYAAe1A-.jpg

That looks like good news!

cdyhybrid

A fraud makes terrible threads every week with the same JOKE

hooray the pats lost

You're just upset that the Bucs didn't even put up enough of a fight to be possible frauds.

Even if Brady were deflating footballs, do we really think the NFL would have spent any time on officiating this offseason? Even though it was obviously an issue in last year's playoffs.

My point wasn't that the NFL persecuted Brady, but that the NFL has it's priorities wrong. It's not a lot to ask that the league hire full time referees and hold them to a standard, which is something they don't do today.

Okay, so why are you trying to juxtapose the two as if one prevented the other?

They didn't fix the officiating because they were going after Brady!

I mean, they don't care about officiating!

Yes, the refs suck. Yes, it needs to be fixed. But going after Brady was not a waste of time, no matter how much you desperately want it to be.

Syrinx

Then why did you bring up deflategate in the first place?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
That looks like good news!

God yes it does, I'm not getting my hopes up too too much, but It's a big relief. Likely a sprain/contusion. If that's the case just add him to the queue of players to return. I hate playing that waiting game though, relying too much on chance for the season to work out. Ideally the pats secure the 1st round bye, get the extra week, Amendola will be back strong, hightower/collins back strong, Gronk back strong, and Edelman hopefully able to get some serious reps in.

Godslay

Banned
No idea why they kept throwing deep to chandler. If you do that at least do it with Gronk. Some really questionable play band e at times.

That was on the bizarre play calling. For some reason McD tried to ground and pound, at one point they ran something like 5 run plays in a row stemming 2 drives, when even against a poor running defense, this team struggles to play that way. I get the concept, but why get away from what worked?

Someone interviewed a Broncos defensive player (I can't remember who exactly) earlier this week and asked what's the Pat's greatest weapon on offense. His answer was McD.

I would normally agree with that, but seems like he was either off this game or held some stuff back for later potentially. Who knows, it was a bit puzzling.

Hunter S.

Where is gata? Edit: I must be high.Lol
I guess the Broncos can beat the Patriots in Denver. The problem could easily be having to go back to Foxboro

Quotient

I suspect the deep balls were due to match-ups. If Brady and Chandler had their timings better a few of those would have connected for big gains.

squicken

I'm kind of wondering if Squicken is on to something with letting Brady take some garbage deep shots. Once that started happening, the offense of the Pats went to hell.

Feels disrespectful like teams started doing to Manning, but he never overcame it because he couldn't make the throws with any consistency.

Probably won't carry forward because Belichick will adjust, but it's interesting.

We had a discussion about this awhile back. Gronk up the seam is their deep threat. He has a gigantic catch radius and Brady doesn't have to arc the ball. That keeps the safeties back and opens up the underneath stuff. But with no Edelman, Lewis or Amendola then Gronk can be doubled and all the other receivers covered 1v1. Chandler had a huge size mismatch, which is what they were going for. But Brady cannot throw deep in the cold anymore with a regulation inflated football

That's not trolling. That's why he lets the air out of the balls. He needs the smaller ball to compensate for the loss of grip strength

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Someone interviewed a Broncos defensive player (I can't remember who exactly) earlier this week and asked what's the Pat's greatest weapon on offense. His answer was McD.

I would normally agree with that, but seems like he was either off this game or held some stuff back for later potentially. Who knows, it was a bit puzzling.

I mean you should know well the guy outsmarts himself. he is crafty, but he often tries to do too much. Earlier he was moving gronk around creating mismatches and letting the running backs do the damage. Hell they even got back to it with the TD to start the 4th quarter. However he flipped that to try to ground and pound it, which they would then go for the deep ball off of play action. During this time they had pulled gronk in to block far more often, and they got away from bolden/white and went with Blount, who has really struggled all year long. It made 0 sense given the D line they were going against, and the fact that the offense was doing what it needed.

At the start of the 4Q the Pats took a 21-7 lead. The Broncos ultimately won the game. So Brock Osweiler has more double-digit second-half comeback wins tonight than Aaron Rodgers has in his career
I like this stat. I think it means that Brock is a better QB.

or that football is a team sport

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
We had a discussion about this awhile back. Gronk up the seam is their deep threat. He has a gigantic catch radius and Brady doesn't have to arc the ball. That keeps the safeties back and opens up the underneath stuff. But with no Edelman, Lewis or Amendola then Gronk can be doubled and all the other receivers covered 1v1. Chandler had a huge size mismatch, which is what they were going for. But Brady cannot throw deep in the cold anymore with a regulation inflated football

That's not trolling. That's why he lets the air out of the balls. He needs the smaller ball to compensate for the loss of grip strength

LOL uhh Brady's deep ball accuracy is up significantly year over year, so... no? Also on top of that, Brady hasn't had a nice deep ball since 07. I'm serious go back and look, most of any deep stuff has been on broken plays. Pretty much everyone they've had has been either out of gas, or out of the league in a few years.

Godslay

Banned
I suspect the deep balls were due to match-ups. If Brady and Chandler had their timings better a few of those would have connected for big gains.

The balls were pretty bad though. They look functional fine, but either short or overthrown. From what I've seen with Peyton, happens when he tries to put too much juice in them to get them there.

cdyhybrid

God yes it does, I'm not getting my hopes up too too much, but It's a big relief. Likely a sprain/contusion. If that's the case just add him to the queue of players to return. I hate playing that waiting game though, relying too much on chance for the season to work out. Ideally the pats secure the 1st round bye, get the extra week, Amendola will be back strong, hightower/collins back strong, Gronk back strong, and Edelman hopefully able to get some serious reps in.

Look at their remaining schedule:

PHI
@HOU
TEN
@NYJ
@MIA

They'll be favored in all of those games, and will probably only have trouble with the Jets. Maybe Houston and the Dolphins.

Don't think you have to worry about securing the bye.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

PHI
@HOU
TEN
@NYJ
@MIA

They'll be favored in all of those games, and will probably only have trouble with the Jets. Maybe Houston and the Dolphins.

You never know, seriously we're entering uncharted territory now in terms of injuries. All they have left is Brandon Lafell and nobody else. no running game, and a defense that might be out it's starting linebackers.

I would expect they win next week, but Houston is hot right now and Hopkins will be a nightmare. Tennessee would seem like a gimme, but they took the raiders to the wire today. The jets game could definitely be an issue, hell the first one was even with most of the weapons. Miami, I'm really not sure what to expect.

Okay, so why are you trying to juxtapose the two as if one prevented the other?

It's called being facetious, overstating a point, e.g. "the league is so hopeless it can't walk and chew gum at the same time." When humans say things like that, they're not making a bold statement that the league is exorbitantly invested in gum chewing... Rather, it's a point to say that the league has gross incompetence and is incapable of doing two things at once.

It was obvious at the end of the 2014 playoffs that the league had a major issue with officiating and the rulebook... Two playoff games were decided in a murkey fashion in a way that most fans either disagreed with or didn't understand. And yet, in the offseason, the league did not address those questions.

The officiating gripe that most fans have had for a decade, hell even going back to a labor dispute, still stands. I don't think that anybody defend that a league that rakes in billions in revenue cannot afford to pay ~100 referees a full time wage. Instead you have guys who are middle school teachers who moonlight on the weekend as NFL refs, spending as much time grading 8th grade math assignments as they do watching NFL tape and studying the rule book. The middle school math teacher thing is not being fasetious... This guy was my 8th grade math teacher, and I ran into him at the bar last weekend on his week off.

They didn't fix the officiating because they were going after Brady!

I mean, they don't care about officiating!

Yes, the refs suck. Yes, it needs to be fixed. But going after Brady was not a waste of time, no matter how much you desperately want it to be.

Aside from the officiating points which I definitely agree with you on, going after Brady was obviously a huge waste of time for the league. They spent untold millions of dollars and hundreds of hours for something that ended up being tossed out of court. The only way it could be considered a good expenditure of time and money for the league is if you think the league was conspiring to get ratings and news coverage from February to August, which, who knows, maybe that was their motive. I can't think of a single positive thing that the league gained by it, other than maybe the "any news is good news" perspective.

Of course, I can see how it's a good expenditure of time and money for fans of other football teams on an internet forum, but for the league, obviously it wasn't... They ended up with the same result after hundreds or thousands of wasted hours, terrible PR, and a major embarrassment, while the guy they were going after spent arguably a lot of time and money, but got out of being punished for his alleged crime.

Kiryu

PHI
@HOU
TEN
@NYJ
@MIA

Houston Texans could be trap game in prime time though.

squicken

LOL uhh Brady's deep ball accuracy is up significantly year over year, so... no? Also on top of that, Brady hasn't had a nice deep ball since 07. I'm serious go back and look, most of any deep stuff has been on broken plays. Pretty much everyone they've had has been either out of gas, or out of the league in a few years.

I very specifically said the cold. That was Peyton's problem initially. Favre's too. It's just one of those things that goes with age. So the whole ball inflation thing did not matter in the Super Bowl, and it hasn't mattered so far this year.

Now that the weather has changed, we will see. But you no doubt noticed that Brock threw a better ball tonight than Brady. At some point the guile and smarts can't compensate for the age related physical decline

Alright Hawks-GAF.

Vikings
Ravens
Browns
Rams
Cards

I mean Ravens/Browns should win right? Vikings on road so I guess that's the hard one. Rams is just pure fuckery every time we play them but at home, and Cards is last week unless they fighting for #1 vs Panthers I think they rest right?

Quotient

PHI
@HOU
TEN
@NYJ
@MIA

The Patriots concern is having everyone heathly for the playoffs. If Edelman, Amendola & Gronk are all back for the playoffs then the Patriots are going to be hard to beat. If we don't have them....well tonights game should be a good indication of what can happen.

So I'm totally sports superstitious, and I've worn my 2003 NFC Champions shirt every Panthers game this year (yes I wash it, I'm not that gross.) It's faded, unlike the memories of a John Kasay kick out of bounds and an Adam Vinatieri field goal. I have legit beef with the Patriots, but not because of conspiracy theories, video taping practices, deflate gate or anything else they've been accused of. I dislike them because they're generally as good as advertised, and they beat my team in the Super Bowl.

Thus far, the year has been surprising. When KJ got injured, I had little hope. I'm still nervous every game. But tonight, I was out with a friend and when I got home, my 13 year old son, who has taken an interest in football this season, was quick to say, "And now the Panthers are the only undefeated team!" I knocked on wood, because you can't just say shit like that, and I told him, "Being undefeated means nothing if you're team is sitting at home on Super Bowl Sunday." It's like a bad consolation prize. Why am I saying all this here? Because just like being undefeated, having losses also doesn't matter if you make it to the big game. Patriots still have a great shot, despite being depleted in key areas at the moment. They'll get people back, they'll adjust, and they'll continue to win. I can only hope that my Panthers make it there to meet whatever AFC team makes it.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I very specifically said the cold. That was Peyton's problem initially. Favre's too. It's just one of those things that goes with age. So the whole ball inflation thing did not matter in the Super Bowl, and it hasn't mattered so far this year.

Now that the weather has changed, we will see. But you no doubt noticed that Brock threw a better ball tonight than Brady. At some point the guile and smarts can't compensate for the age related physical decline

Brady's decline is absolutely coming, but I saw nothing that indicated that tonight at all. All of the deep balls thrown were either under pressure, or upwards of 60 yards through the air, basically hail mary's at that point. The stuff with chandler also wasn't surprising, the connection with him just hasn't been there. Brady threw the touch passes fine down the sideline to bolden twice, threw lasers down the seam to gronk fine, and he even had a nice deep ball to a wide open Martin deep down the field called back for holding. He played fine, the weapons were depleted, and the broncos defense is fierce.

edit- and again this is nothing new. His deep balls are improved this year. his deep ball sucked with deflated balls or whatever the excuse is, so it wasn't making a difference. Brady has not been good at the deep ball since 07. in 09 it was his mechanics, since then it's either been age, or the complete lack of weapons. You're findings are non-existent.

Kiryu

Alright Hawks-GAF.

Vikings
Ravens
Browns
Rams
Cards

I mean Ravens/Browns should win right? Vikings on road so I guess that's the hard one. Rams is just pure fuckery every time we play them but at home, and Cards is last week unless they fighting for #1 vs Panthers I think they rest right?
FOR NFC WEST Scenario. It's not out of range for us.

If Cardinals have to lose 2 games out of 3 games (Rams, Green Bay or Vikings.)
Then Seahawks to win out (and win over Cardinals at home) then that's where we can have NFC west title.

However, If we lose Viking or Cardinals game. We still can win 4 to get wild card playoff spot

Godslay

Banned
250 plays without an opposing penalty being assessed against Denver. Something like 100 minutes of game time or something like that.

I'm glad that's over.

cdyhybrid

Alright Hawks-GAF.

Vikings
Ravens
Browns
Rams
Cards

We usually handle the Rams at home, so those middle three games should all be wins unless we shit the bed (which is a real possibility). Vikings and Cards games will determine if we make the playoffs, I'm guessing. Hopefully the Cards sit people in that game and make it easy for us.

Also could potentially see us back our way in if the people behind us (Bucs, Falcons, Bears, Racists/Giants, etc.) keep losing games.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
The whole officiating thing is stupid, that's really not what decided the game. Sure the gronk play was ticky tack, but so was a holding against the broncos earlier in the game. The gameplan and the offense in progress was the main problem. It was also being forced to play Harper out there and he made a mistake you VERY rarely see made on the patriots.

FOR NFC WEST Scenario. It's not out of range for us.

If Cardinals have to lose 2 games out of 3 games (Rams, Green Bay or Vikings.)
Then Seahawks to win out (and win over Cardinals at home) then that's where we can have NFC west title.

However, If we lose Viking or Cardinals game. We still can win 4 to get wild card playoff spot

God I don't trust any of those teams to beat the Cardinals let alone 2 of them. Rams can do it just because divisional game are always lulz. 49ers almost did it today... and Rams fuck everyone in our division just because they are the Rams.

GB-GAF probably laughing at the thought of them winning I mean 90% of them think the sky is falling right now. Then we have the Vikings who I still have no clue if they are contenders or frauds but I guess we find out this week after they either spank our ass or get fucked by us.

CVCXllwWIAADTaD.jpg

Fuck. I underestimated a 15 year old Brock. Shit, we all underestimated him. Prepare for the Broncos dynasty.

I don't know who this guy is, but let's assume he's no more a representation of fans of your favorite team as the 25% of your facebook friends who think that President Obama is a Somali Moslem lizard person

Top Bottom