• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 12 |OT| - A Fraud is Thankful

Hindl

So, Billy Davis terrible coaching aside, do you think Chip did a good job rebuilding the defense? They have good talent in pretty much every position group on the defense at this point. That's where Chip focused almost all of his energy trying to improve the team this offseason. I think he made some really good personnel decisions on that side of the ball. The last personnel decision he needs to make on that side is firing Billy Davis and replacing him with literally anyone.

This off-season he needs to rebuild the offensive side of the ball. Given that I thought he did it well on the defensive side when he focused most of his efforts there I am just going to assume he can somewhat competently do it. Then again, he might resign Bradford. With some OL help and signing a nice veteran WR things could be much better though. There's just not a ton you can do when you don't have a franchise QB.

That's pretty much the only reason I have faith still. He said in the offseason he was focusing on the D, and even with Billy D's incompetence, this has generally been a good unit. The last two weeks his coaching ability simply caught up with him. But Chip is an offensive minded coach who has managed to create a young D with lots of talent. So hopefully he'd be able to rebuild the offense when focusing on that. Getting a (good, not fucking Miles Austin) veteran receiver would be huge. Although given how you don't want Bradford, who should we get to replace him? He may simply be the best available

http://cdn.insidethepylon.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Matt-Ryan-44-yard-pass-to-Julio-Jones-beat-press.gif/IMG][/QUOTE]

Well 1, that's Julio, and two, that's more Bill Davis' scheme not calling for jamming receivers at the line. A better defensive coordinator could do great things with this defense

SonnyBoy

Those teams were also some of the oldest in the entire NFL. I guess it would have been better to ignore that they were all aging though.

Riiiiiiight, because DJax was released because of "aging".

Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif

So...you happy with the Maxwell signing and his $25m guarantee?

Yes, very. Maybe you didnt watch any Eagles games last year but their Cbs were the worst in the NFL by a large margin. Maxwell has absolutely been an upgrade over guys like Cary Williams. Also you cant look at moves like that in a vacuum, if they dont get Maxwell to man that spot then who do they get? Eagles had the cap room and he was by far the best available option. I want my team to always go for the best guy.

eznark

Banned
How many college job openings will Chip and his agent attach himself to this offseason? Enough to get a raise from the Eagles? Stay tuned!

jmdajr

It's amazing how much things change. Beginning of season I heard about Julio Jones non stop. Now that whole team is collapsing.

Hindl

How many college job openings will Chip and his agent attach himself to this offseason? Enough to get a raise from the Eagles? Stay tuned!

Chip hates college and his dream was to always be in the NFL, if he isn't with the Eagles he'll be with another NFL team

cdyhybrid

Field Gulls said:
A couple of drives later, Roethlisberger dialed up a go route to the previously smothered Antonio Brown, except that Richard Sherman may or may not have knocked Brown down en route, leaving Sherman as the lone potential recipient of Big Ben's pass. The contact was ruled incidental, and the best cornerback in the game finally had his first interception of the season. Think I'm overstating that because I'm a Seahawks fan? Consider this: after setting an NFL record for most interceptions in the first four years of a career, Sherman has been avoided like a dark hallway after watching a horror film. But he only stays on one side of the field. Well, he followed AJ Green around in Week 5 and shut him down. But that's just one game. Then he did the same thing to Dez Bryant. But that was only against Matt Cassel.

Look, if you had one arrows left in the Richard-Sherman-is-overrated quiver, it was Antonio Brown. Coming into this game, the average Antonio Brown target netted an insane 9.9 yards (1,141 yards on 115 targets), a number depressed considerably by Roethlisberger's four-game absence. Sherman spent at least half of the game following Brown in this one- left side, right side, slot, motion- didn't matter. Eight of Brown's 12 targets came with Sherman guarding him and in those eight chances, Brown managed just three catches for 22 yards (and that's not even counting the interception Sherman got while covering Brown on a two-point conversion).
Considering Brown's insanely precise routes, dependable hands, and extra-terrestrial connection with Roethlisberger, there is now nothing left to throw at Sherman but a tantrum.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2015/11/2...15-cigar-thoughts-doug-baldwin-russell-wilson

eznark

Banned
Yes, very. Maybe you didnt watch any Eagles games last year but their Cbs were the worst in the NFL by a large margin. Maxwell has absolutely been an upgrade over guys like Cary Williams. Also you cant look at moves like that in a vacuum, if they dont get Maxwell to man that spot then who do they get? Eagles had the cap room and he was by far the best available option. I want my team to always go for the best guy.

2011 the Eagles were 10th in adjusted defense. 2014 they were 10th. This year they are 7th but with the Pats and Cardinals (and some divisional games that will mean something to the other teams) I bet they end up right around 10 again.

Maxwell isn't as confident in the Maxwell signing as you:

"What am I bringing to the table?'' Maxwell asked. "I don't know if I'm helping. Am I helping? This was a 10-6 team last year, a good team. I thought I would be the one to help us, to take the team up a level, get us to the top.

this_guy

Houston GAF free tacos at Jack In the Box today. Just say Touchdowns for Tacos and praise Brian Hoyer and you get a free monster taco.

I'm getting the free 10 piece nuggets from McDonalds. Only downside is I have to have the McDonald's app on my phone and someone might see it and laugh at me.

jmdajr

I'm getting the free 10 piece nuggets from McDonalds. Only downside is I have to have the McDonald's app on my phone and someone might see it and laugh at me.

It's cool brother I did the same.

last time I went.

"Ok, who is here for something other than the free Nuggets?"

2011 the Eagles were 10th in adjusted defense. 2014 they were 10th. This year they are 7th but with the Pats and Cardinals (and some divisional games that will mean something to the other teams) I bet they end up right around 10 again.

Maxwell isn't as confident in the Maxwell signing as you:

Are you not actually reading my posts? I never said I was confident in the Maxwell signing, just that he was an upgrade over Cary Williams and Bradley Fletcher. Again I will ask if they hadnt gotten him who could they have signed that would definitely be better?

Hindl

Pretty sure I heard something on the radio yesterday that Maxwell has as many missed tackles as passes defended.

He's a shitty tackler that's for sure. He always goes for the strip, which is great when it works, but more often than not he just needs to bring the guy down

Pretty sure I heard something on the radio yesterday that Maxwell has as many missed tackles as passes defended.

His tackling has been awful, but he actually has career high tackles this season. His biggest problem is that he tries to get the ball loose in situation where he just needs to make the damn tackle.

Are you not actually reading my posts? I never said I was confident in the Maxwell signing, just that he was an upgrade over Cary Williams and Bradley Fletcher. Again I will ask if they hadnt gotten him who could they have signed that would definitely be better?

Hey, Stephen A. Smith thinks Cary Williams is a better CB than Byron Maxwell. When has he ever been wrong?

MechDX

http://espn.go.com/blog/houston-tex...ided-enough-was-enough-at-start-of-win-streak
The Texans defense had been humiliated -- losing 44-26 to the Dolphins after trailing 41-0 at halftime -- and maybe they needed that. Because what has happened in the weeks since might define their season. It might turn this team into a playoff contender once more.
Since that day more than one month ago, they've given up two touchdowns total. They're allowing an average of 8.75 points per game. They're purely dominant on third downs. They broke a 155-game streak by the Saints of consecutive games with a touchdown scored.

According to ESPN Stats and Info, since Week 8, the Texans defense rank first in the league in points allowed per game, sack percentage (9.4), yards per dropback (4.3), third down percentage (21.2), total QBR (23.3) and estimated points added pergame (+12.2).

Dega? Make sure you thank Chris.

This picture:

jnc

eznark

Banned

Almost literally anyone, as you said. Instead they took a huge cap hit over the next two years to get a guy who is just a pretty good corner. Guys like Flowers, Tramon, Culliver, Tarrell Brown, Mathis... all would have been upgrades at the position for less than (in some cases a fraction of) Maxwell.

I like their safeties, but personally I think the Maxwell signing was foolish, especially given the need to rebuild in other areas. I think he is a $10+m cap hit next year? Unnecessary.

Almost literally anyone, as you said. Instead they took a huge cap hit over the next two years to get a guy who is just a pretty good corner. Guys like Flowers, Tramon, Culliver, Tarrell Brown, Mathis... all would have been upgrades at the position for less than (in some cases a fraction of) Maxwell.

I like their safeties, but personally I think the Maxwell signing was foolish, especially given the need to rebuild in other areas. I think he is a $10+m cap hit next year? Unnecessary.

I really think that Chip was taking a chance that maybe Maxwell was a really good Cb that just didnt get to show it as much in the Seahawk defense. We will see how things go but like aborted said he has been doing a really good job in coverage, so maybe it was just a matter of learning a new system for him at the start of the year. If the Eagles miss out on a guy that they like, or lose a guy that they wanted to keep, due to Maxwells salary then yes it is a bad signing but I dont believe that will happen.

TheFatOne

Pats not having a half way decent running back has been a killer. Blount is just a black hole on offense. Unless the hole is wide open he isn't going to hit it. One play yesterday I thought he could have easily made a jump cut to his left for an easy 4 yards, but he just ran straight forward into his oline for two. It doesn't seem like much, but when the plays are there to be made an the running back can't make them that's an issue. He should strictly be a finisher, and honestly after last season the Pats should have moved on from him. He's a bad fit for the offense even when they are 100% healthy.

He's got a big cap hit next year, but the contract is really front loaded. In 2017 they can cut/trade him and free up $10m in cap space. That should allow them to extend Fletcher Cox pretty easily. It's not super team-unfriendly contract in that sense.

The cheat had a losing record 5 of his first 6 seasons. People forget what terrible shape Reid left the Eagles in, but they were 4-12 his last year. Chip should have traded everyone worth anything when he took over and did a full rebuild, instead he tried to win with Andy's guys which was impossible. They are doing the rebuild now but it obviously takes more then 1 year. I would definitely give him another year at the least. 2 positions are holding the team back this year, OL is a complete disaster, and WR. If they could block better the running game would be great, and if the WR could catch the offense would be so much better.

A legit gripe with Kelly is that he seemingly dumped guys that are a perfect fit for his offense, while encouraging the front office to pick up guys for big contracts that don't make any sense, like DeMarco Murray.

Kelly has been there, what, 4 years, and the team has gotten worse each year since he's implemented his front office changes. It's a miracle of the NFC Least that they're still in the playoff hunt... but then again, Dallas is 2 games out of hosting a home playoff game and they're 3 - 8.

eznark

Banned
I really think that Chip was taking a chance that maybe Maxwell was a really good Cb that just didnt get to show it as much in the Seahawk defense. We will see how things go but like aborted said he has been doing a really good job in coverage, so maybe it was just a matter of learning a new system for him at the start of the year. If the Eagles miss out on a guy that they like, or lose a guy that they wanted to keep, due to Maxwells salary then yes it is a bad signing but I dont believe that will happen.

Personally I think it's more a matter of having two solid safeties now, which is why I think Maxwell is a matter of poor resource allocation.

His cap number is $9.7m next year. They can save some money by getting rid of Bradford and Miles Austin but Thurmond, Carroll and probably Cedric Thornton will get resigned at a bump. Though I guess Rowe could make Carroll expendable.

It looks to me at a glance that if they want to keep Bradford and resign those three they will have about $3-6m in cap space.

Speaking of poorly managing your resources:

Aaron Rodgers when targeting Davante Adams in 2015: 32/61 for 322 yards, 0 TDs, 1 INT ... 61.8 passer rating ranks 82nd out of 84 WRs (@PFF)

harSon

Banned
Is it a running NFL gag to have Boykin on your roster and never use him, even when your supposed starting secondary is getting decimated weekly?

Pats not having a half way decent running back has been a killer. Blount is just a black hole on offense. Unless the hole is wide open he isn't going to hit it. One play yesterday I thought he could have easily made a jump cut to his left for an easy 4 yards, but he just ran straight forward into his oline for two. It doesn't seem like much, but when the plays are there to be made an the running back can't make them that's an issue. He should strictly be a finisher, and honestly after last season the Pats should have moved on from him. He's a bad fit for the offense even when they are 100% healthy.
Losing Lewis hurt the Patriots the most by far.

Personally I think it's more a matter of having two solid safeties now, which is why I think Maxwell is a matter of poor resource allocation.

His cap number is $9.7m next year. They can save some money by getting rid of Bradford and Miles Austin but Thurmond, Carroll and probably Cedric Thornton will get resigned at a bump. Though I guess Rowe could make Carroll expendable.

It looks to me at a glance that if they want to keep Bradford and resign those three they will have about $3-6m in cap space.

Speaking of poorly managing your resources:

They'll easily be able to restructure Peters contract next year. Or cut him, depending on his health, and save $5-6m. They can also get rid of that trash Riley Cooper next year and save $3m in cap. They've got space to work, and their cap in 2017 should be very good.

At least 75% of the league has a severely injured offensive line. That excuse is getting tired.

How is it getting tired? I bet that every team that has had multiple OL injured has seen their offensive production go down. When people say, what is wrong with the Eagles offense this year, I dont see how pointing out that 3 members of their OL are injured is a tired excuse. The GB offense has fallen off this year because one WR got hurt. Losing players does affect things, it is silly to act like it doesnt.

LevelNth

Banned
At least 75% of the league has a severely injured offensive line. That excuse is getting tired.
Some Niners fans wanted to believe that our OL was the cause for why Kap was the worst QB in the league and that it was that, not him, that was completely killing our offense on account of him being on pace for 50 sacks on the year.

Gabbert would be on pace for 21 sacks as of right now. OL excuses are almost always BS.

Cortland Innegan is terrible and almost 80% chance he sinks the locker room chemistry, but signing him is STILL an improvement over rolling Colin Jones out there for another game at slot corner.

Teams are batting a 1000 targeting Jones. A perfect 12/12 across three games.

How is it getting tired? I bet that every team that has had multiple OL injured has seen their offensive production go down. When people say, what is wrong with the Eagles offense this year, I dont see how pointing out that 3 members of their OL are injured is a tired excuse. The GB offense has fallen off this year because one WR got hurt. Losing players does affect things, it is silly to act like it doesnt.
Pack offense would suck even if Jordy was in the lineup, imo

boxter432

I wouldn't write your team off man, I'd feel pretty good about our chances at home but we're pretty banged up and will be coming off a Rams bloodfest game and you're playing good football. Hopefully we get a few guys back to make it an interesting match, both teams will have a lot to play for with the Vikings only a game behind. Great year for both our teams and AP is killing it. Diggs a pleasant surprise too. Congrats on your season and I look forward to our big match up. Neither team should be ashamed if they lose.

hopefully Vikes beat Sea next week and then the AZ/Min matchup is geared towards fighting for the 2nd NFC spot behind Carolina.

harSon

Banned

Yeah, alongside "you shouldn't have been in a position for refs to decide the game" - the fact that injuries being a deciding factor is taboo is one of the most annoying thing in football.

Top Bottom