• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 12 |OT| - A Fraud is Thankful

gutshot

philadelphia-eagles-head-coach-chip-kelly.jpg

The no-audibling thing is overblown. Most of the plays in Chip/Lazor's offense have run-pass options built in so the QB can pull and throw a pop pass or a WR screen if the box is stacked.

eznark

Banned
The no-audibling thing is overblown. Most of the plays in Chip/Lazor's offense have run-pass options built in so the QB can pull and throw a pop pass or a WR screen if the box is stacked.

Cool, so the same amount of pre-snap read input as most high school offenses.

bionic77

There is usually a very strong inverse relationship between games missed by starters and wins. It's one of the reasons I sort of discount Harbaugh's success in San Francisco. They had almost literally no starter injuries the year he made the Super Bowl, and very few the year after.

Of course, then there are teams like New England, Pittsburgh and Green Bay who win games despite tons of annual injuries (thanks to generally shit divisions) and teams on the flip side like the Jets and Lions who are historically healthy but suck shit anyway.
There are so many garbage franchises in the NFL that if you are lucky you can play in a division like the AFC East or South where you are almost guaranteed to make the playoffs if you just put together a competent season. Everything is easier when you know you have 6 wins in the pocket before the season starts.

How fucking hard is it to actually run an NFL team? I really doubt that it can be that hard to replicate what Pittsburgh and Green Bay have been doing forever. I am guessing that for a lot of the rich owners they are not that invested in success and it is just a hobby. The old poor owners like the Rooneys have to make it work or else they have to go back to illegal gambling or some other shit to pay the bills. But for billionaires like Snyder and Irsay this is probably just a distraction from their family or some other bullshit.

Giants ran for 33 yards against league's 30th-ranked run D. They may not crack double-digits against the Jets, ranked 1st in NFL.

Should be the wake up call for that poorly executed RB rotation going on but they'll stick with it, and will get like two yards total against the Jets next week.

SonnyBoy

How fucking hard is it to actually run an NFL team? I really doubt that it can be that hard to replicate what Pittsburgh and Green Bay have been doing forever. I am guessing that for a lot of the rich owners they are not that invested in success and it is just a hobby. The old poor owners like the Rooneys have to make it work or else they have to go back to illegal gambling or some other shit to pay the bills. But for billionaires like Snyder and Irsay this is probably just a distraction from their family or some other bullshit.

I think the hardest part is putting aside ego and finding chemistry within the front office. Everything else kinda falls into place. When I think of Green Bay, New England, Baltimore, Pitt, etc... I think of consistency in the upper tiers of the organization.

For Snyder it was ego. He finally put that aside, hired one of the best scouts/GM's in the league to run his team and they've responded.

BigAT

Should be the wake up call for that poorly executed RB rotation going on but they'll stick with it, and will get like two yards total against the Jets next week.

Having four out of five offensive linemen injured certainly doesn't help either.

bionic77

I think the hardest part is putting aside ego and finding chemistry within the front office. Everything else kinda falls into place. When I think of Green Bay, New England, Baltimore, Pitt, etc... I think of consistency in the upper tiers of the organization.

For Snyder it was ego. He finally put that aside, hired one of the best scouts/GM's in the league to run his team and they've responded.
Run it like a business and I am sure success will follow eventually.

If you treat it like a toy or don't take it seriously the team will suck forever.

Eddie D v Jeb York.

P.S. If you are not disciplined enough to run it like a business than at least make sure to have a good supply of cocaine and hookers. See 90s Cowboys.

gutshot

Cool, so the same amount of pre-snap read input as most high school offenses.

I guess? It's just a different way of handling audibles. It's not like these offenses are just calling a running play and executing that, defensive personnel and alignment be damned.

eznark

Banned
I guess? It's just a different way of handling audibles. It's not like these offenses are just calling a running play and executing that, defensive personnel and alignment be damned.

Everyone is doing the same thing, outside of the football, defense be damned. That's a problem. Especially if the QB is no real threat to run.

Godslay

Banned
Eagles on Sunday

If they looked like the did against the Lions, they'll get thumped. Hard.

Plus that fast burn offense not staying on the field and giving Brady more chances to shred? Going to be a long day for the Eagles.

It's easy to think they just lost and they're vulnerable. People always forget that even with just guys, they are still a solid team up and down, and Belichick will build a good gameplan to give them a shot.

Eagles have a puncher's chance like the Broncos did, but from what I've seen the more you let Brady on the field your chances of winning decline.

gutshot

Everyone is doing the same thing, outside of the football, defense be damned. That's a problem. Especially if the QB is no real threat to run.

I agree that not having a QB who can run neuters a huge component of the Chip Kelly offense. That is why I never understood the Bradford trade.

I do think packaged plays can be successful at this level, as a replacement for audibles. But you need talented playmakers, who can make things happen in space, and a QB who can make the right read consistently.

Do the Eagles have a consistent and aggressive pass rush? Because that is truly the only way to beat the Patriots.

No. Their pass rush this season has been a big disappointment.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'

Having four out of five offensive linemen injured certainly doesn't help either.

AT beat me to it but understand that in the game we lost Schwartz, Richburg and Pugh were already out, and of course Beatty is on IR. The only starting caliber guy was rookie left tackle Flowers, and he had a miserable game too.

I agree that not having a QB who can run neuters a huge component of the Chip Kelly offense. That is why I never understood the Bradford trade.

I do think packaged plays can be successful at this level, as a replacement for audibles. But you need talented playmakers, who can make things happen in space, and a QB who can make the right read consistently.

If you have a QB that can do that why not just let him audible?

gutshot

@USC_Athletics
OFFICIAL: Clay Helton named permanent USC head coach by athletic director Pat Haden. #FightOn

We can stop with the Chip-to-USC speculation.

I just read we lost Schwartz for the year now, too? UGH. 2013 line all over again. Richburg and Pugh already out....John Jerry/Dallas Reynolds starting. Oh and now we have Bobby Hart likely starting ar RG moving forward.

I finally moved into the new house last night so from 6am until 2am this morning, moving is all that I know. I hadn't had an opportunity to even look at scores until this morning. We lost in usual Giants fashion - slept through a vast majority of a game that mattered.

I watched some highlights as well and a big WTF at Randle at times. DRC seemingly getting injured now as well (hopefully not too serious).

I'll watch the game later tonight once I've got my den all situated but I'm disappointed to say the least. Hearing Coughlin talk about the team sleep-walking makes me wonder what the hell the team did during the bye.

eznark

Banned
What you really want out of a wide out on the last play of the game is to jog into the end zone, run into the closest defender, then stand there and do nothing. Missing the catch is just a bonus.

DefiniteAdeptBordercollie.gif

gutshot

Wonder how good that offense would be with guys like McCoy and DeSean? We'll never know....

It's frustrating. Chip had his playmakers, he just needed to get an athletic QB to run the offense. Instead he jettisoned his most talented offensive players and then went and got Sam freakin' Bradford.

SonnyBoy

Oh we absolutely do know, we saw it for 2 years. They were good enough to win 0 playoff games with those guys.

You can do that when you have a time tested and proven GM and drafting process. When you don't, you get the result that they had.

I feel that competitive and fielding a pleasing product to watch if often overlooked by fans. Sure, they weren't where they wanted to be but they were well on their way. And his reasoning for releasing those players were bogus and in the case of DJax very telling.

Chip is getting exactly what he deserves.

They've since upgraded to good enough to miss the playoff entirely!

Exactly.

It's frustrating. Chip had his playmakers, he just needed to get an athletic QB to run the offense. Instead he jettisoned his most talented offensive players and then went and got Sam freakin' Bradford.

Which athletic QB was available in the offseason who definitely would have been good here? Also the Eagles are like plus 36 in point differential with Bradford, and like - infinity with butt fumble. Bradford was holding this entire ship together.

gutshot

Which athletic QB was available in the offseason who definitely would have been good here? Also the Eagles are like plus 36 in point differential with Bradford, and like - infinity with butt fumble. Bradford was holding this entire ship together.

They could have drafted someone like Brett Hundley. They could have signed someone like Tyrod Taylor. Instead they drafted Matt Barkley, signed Mark Sanchez and traded for Sam Bradford.

It's almost like Chip is trying to prove everyone wrong about needing a running QB, instead of just getting the best guy for his system. It's weird.

You can do that when you have a time tested and proven GM and drafting process. When you don't, you get the result that they had.

I feel that competitive and fielding a pleasing product to watch if often overlooked by fans. Sure, they weren't where they wanted to be but they were well on their way. And his reasoning for releasing those players were bogus and in the case of DJax very telling.

Chip is getting exactly what he deserves.

Exactly.

Only player that he released was Djax, and that was because the day they lost in the playoffs to the Saints Djax mentioned being unhappy about his contract, which he had just signed the year before. Chip absolutely does not want me first guys, which Djax most definitely is. Maclin left to be closer to home, and to play for the coach that drafted him, and Shady was traded because he lead the league in negative plays the year before.

eznark

Banned
Only player that he released was Djax, and that was because the day they lost in the playoffs to the Saints Djax mentioned being unhappy about his contract, which he had just signed the year before. Chip absolutely does not want me first guys, which Djax most definitely is. Maclin left to be closer to home, and to play for the coach that drafted him, and Shady was traded because he lead the league in negative plays the year before.

Chip is only Me First guy Chip will allow in his locker room.

Top Bottom