• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2015 Week 12 |OT| - A Fraud is Thankful

Greg

Packers‬ kicker Mason Crosby has been named NFC Special Teams Player of the Week after making NFL history on Sunday with five field goals of 40 or more yards in single game.
that's my kicker :'))))

squicken

It's just such a weird play. I'm not sure I've ever seen anything like it, and the whole thing about "teaching" him to finish forward seems like an insane thing to address for a big $ FA running back

http://mobile.philly.com/beta?wss=/philly/sports/eagles&id=353262961
Offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur said Murray was told that is not the way Eagles backs are taught to finish runs.

"We did within our meetings," Shurmur said. "We talked about making sure we finish forward. I think he felt like he had the first down. He was well aware of what he needed to get for the first down. We certainly teach our guys to fall forward or to continue to fight for yardage. You'd have to ask him specifically. He did get to the first down."

demarco-murray-slide-out-of-bounds-phi-mia.gif

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
It's just such a weird play. I'm not sure I've ever seen anything like it, and the whole thing about "teaching" him to finish forward seems like an insane thing to address for a big $ FA running back

It's like he was trying to keep the clock running. So soft.

gutshot

It's pretty obvious to me that DeMarco got paid and just doesn't care any more, except for two times a year when he plays the Cowboys. Bad signing by Chip.

Panthers long snapper JJ Jansen came into practice today with a headache so they signed Danny Aiken for an emergency one week deal. This short week gets better and better.

In other news, any of y'all leaving your Thanksgiving dinner table to go straight to boxing out soccer moms in the freezing cold for your opportunity to keep the fires of American capitalism burning (or just buy cheap electronics)?

I think it's amazing that we have definitive closure on whether or not the Cowboys O-Line made Demarco Murray. The answer is a resounding YES.

Godslay

Banned
I find this hostility towards Patriots fans thinking that the Patriots are susceptible to a loss amusing, because if they win, your response will inevitably be "See what I told you you're so stupid for pretending the Patriots might lose," but if they lose, the general response will inevitably be "TAKE THAT PATRIOTS FANS FOR THINKING YOUR TEAM IS GOOD, BRADY IS A FRAUD!" If we properly recognize that, yes, the Patriots are the best team in the NFL right now then we're over-confident, but then if you properly recognize that the Patriots going into Week 12, 2015 are the weakest they've been in a year then you're ... turtling or whatever.

Only 2 teams in NFL history have gone undefeated for an entire regular season, and so it's a very reasonable thing to think that the #2 or #3 team in the AFC has as good a shot as any team beating New England this week, especially given their injuries.

Also you can't watch the last game and think that James White filled in for Dion Lewis. If you're comparing them on Fantasy Football numbers, sure because White had 2 touchdowns, but if you actually watched the game there is a huge dropoff from Lewis to James White and not having Lewis and Edelman significant changes the Patriot's offensive gameplan.

You are being held accountable for being a good team. Sounds rough.

This always happens when the Broncos play the Patriots. You guys turtle up, and try to play the underdog role, even when you haven't been the underdog since the AFCCG in 2013. Denver is the home underdog against NE, something that hasn't happened in a very long time. Probably since Tebow's start against the Steelers at home in the playoffs.

Personally, I won't let it happen this year. Sorry that you think there is some grand conspiracy theory behind it, and spooked yourself into thinking that I'm smarter than I really am. I've been consistent all year long as the Pats gathered a few injuries, that the train still rolls on as long as Brady, Gronk, and Edelman is still intact. Looks like even Edelman is replaceable by the way Amendola played. So it's revised to Brady and Gronk.

You still have the #1 D, the #1 O, you still have an idiot savant HC, and you still have a HoF QB and the most dominant TE we've seen since Gonzo.

You guys have me pinned into this corner where I can't praise you and I can't criticize you either. Give respect and you don't want it, give criticism and the pitchforks come out.

@AdamSchefter
If Rams and Redskins finish in same place in respective divisions, Washington will become first team to play in consecutive weeks in London.

I'm just sitting here wondering how much differently this season might be going had we retained Jeremy Maclin and not signed DeMarco Murray.

Maclin was a great Wr when he was here, but I wonder if overpaying a guy whos heart is somewhere else really would have fixed much. His own step dad said that he wanted to play closer to home and for coach Reid. What Chip should have done was look to find a good FA WR, and not a piece of shit like Miles Austin to replace Maclin.

Huff I believe was the player who was killing Murray for this. It seems really silly to me, so he lowers his shoulder into the DB and gets an extra yard, who cares. Get the first down and then get down, he wasnt going to run over 4 guys are score there. This is one of the biggest problems with football, if things dont go great then people start looking into the stupidest shit to try and explain why they didnt. If the Eagles are 7-3 right now, people are saying how smart Murray was to avoid unnecessary contact there and save himself for the rest of the year, especially with Mathews already hurt.

Hindl

I'm just sitting here wondering how much differently this season might be going had we retained Jeremy Maclin and not signed DeMarco Murray.

Maclin would've been a HUGE help, but I'm not sure the Eagles could retain him. He was going home to KC, even if the Eagles matched the Chiefs contract. I still support Murray though, because barring last week he's been doing better, and Mathews is already banged up with a concussion.

Saw the agent story and knew immediately it was from ESP. He's the worst kind of reporter. He starts with a title and then goes and gets quotes that fit his story. It's not dumb, career wise. The guys that stir the most shit get the most money.

Not that there isn't some dissent evident. Murray is getting ripped and Peters and Chip have had a little thing about whether he can play or not

When talking about his defensive unit, Malcolm Jenkins emphasized that Chip Kelly had nothing to do with their implosion. The safety did, however, relent and say Kelly is responsible when the offense plays poorly.

http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/2015/11/25/all-22-sanchezs-interceptions-receiver-rotation/

I agree, but Matt Lombardo is the one who reported this story, not ESP

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.

I'm confused. He got the 1st? Shouldn't the ball have been spotted at the start of the slide?

ampere

Panthers long snapper JJ Jansen came into practice today with a headache so they signed Danny Aiken for an emergency one week deal. This short week gets better and better.

In other news, any of y'all leaving your Thanksgiving dinner table to go straight to boxing out soccer moms in the freezing cold for your opportunity to keep the fires of American capitalism burning (or just buy cheap electronics)?

Bro, you do that shopping online. Going to stores on Black Friday is for chumps

I'm trying to build a new PC with Newegg/Amazon deals

I'm confused. He got the 1st? Shouldn't the ball have been spotted at the start of the slide?

The spot looks like it was wrong, but the point is you don't slide to finish a rush. Sliding is going to lead the refs to err on getting you a weaker spot

Can RBs give them selves up on plays? I think he got the first because even though he slid he was still open to be hit. I thought that the slide rule only protects QBs.

levious

Can RBs give them selves up on plays? I think he got the first because even though he slid he was still open to be hit. I thought that the slide rule only protects QBs.

Oh that would make sense. I thought every ball carrier could now give themselves up and be protected.

Bitanator

Murray bulldozed people on third down last year, it is what made him so fun to watch, on third and one, you can always expect at least 4 yards. Watching him slide like that is embarrassing knowing the kind of running back he was

levious

Murray bulldozed people on third down last year, it is what made him so fun to watch, on third and one, you can always expect at least 4 yards. Watching him slide like that is embarrassing knowing the kind of running back he was

Yeah, at least Ricky Waters had the decency to run out of bounds standing up to avoid contact.

Yankee I just looked it up in the rulebook. The language about sliding and where the ball is spotted for a slide is applicable to everyone, not just qbs.

Rule 7, section 2, art.2(d)

oneHeero

cowboys are going to upset the panthers. they upset the colts (w/ manning/harrison/maybe james too) when they were looking to go undefeated and they did it to the Saints when they were undefeated (i think). They have a knack for winning games they shouldnt and shitty the best the rest of the season.

Yea? No.

Bread

Banned
Fact: Don Trump loves Price is Right and this wouldn't happen if he were president, he would wait until after noon to prep the media for his speech.

gutshot

Maclin would've been a HUGE help, but I'm not sure the Eagles could retain him. He was going home to KC, even if the Eagles matched the Chiefs contract. I still support Murray though, because barring last week he's been doing better, and Mathews is already banged up with a concussion.

Eh, I don't know if that was really the case.

Just the same, leaving Philadelphia was painful for Maclin and, Parres believes, part of another entire tier of his maturation.

“It was tough, man; I had established a lot of relationships there and had become very comfortable up there,” Maclin said. “I kind of wanted to be remembered as being the greatest receiver ever to play there.”

Maclin hadn’t just become at home with the Eagles. He also had become dug in to his suburban house in West Deptford, N.J.

He was so invested in the neighborhood that kids would leave him trinkets or treats after games.

On occasions such as Halloween, Maclin would give out candy and dress up his miniature bull terrier as a “little orange pumpkin.”

“I’m still a person just like everybody else; I never wanted to be looked at as better than anybody else or anything like that,” said Maclin, who intends to be the same way at his new home in Lee’s Summit. “So I made my house approachable at Halloween. I interacted with kids in my neighborhood …

“They’re our kids; they’re our future. The more we can get them to understand, ‘This is how we do things, this is not how you do things, this is what I experienced,’ the more you can help them learn.”

That broader perspective, ironically, might have been a factor in Maclin leaving the Eagles.

“The bottom line is I think they tried to take advantage of his good nature,” Parres said. “They knew he wanted to stay and there was really no reason they didn’t want him to stay, and they tried to take advantage of him.”

So when free-agency Saturday arrived in March, Maclin was intrigued by the prospect of an offer from the Chiefs and Reid but was inclined to stay with the Eagles as he went on a golf trip with Parres and family in Palm Springs.

Even when the Chiefs came at Maclin with a five-year offer worth an average of $11 million a year, Parres said, Maclin primarily wanted to know what the Eagles were thinking.

As Reid, quarterbacks Alex Smith and Chase Daniel and receivers coach David Culley were calling Maclin that day, “making him feel like he’s the greatest thing on Earth,” Parres said, Maclin could “barely get (Eagles coach and de facto general manager) Chip Kelly to answer the phone.”

“He called Chip Kelly five times Saturday: ‘Chip, can you just show me anything?’ ” Parres recalled.

(At a news conference after Maclin left, Kelly said he had had a number of discussions with Maclin and said that “we couldn’t go as high as Kansas City.”).

That Sunday, while Maclin was on the golf course, the Eagles called and countered by shifting money from year three of their offer to year two — which contrary to Kelly and published reports made it close enough to the same deal Maclin was offered with the Chiefs that Maclin was ready to stay.

As they stood on the 16th tee, Maclin’s initial thought was just that.

Then Reid called again.

And 10 minutes later Maclin was Kansas City-bound.

“It wasn’t the money; it was that 10 minutes,” Parres said. “Jeremy said, ‘(The Chiefs) just wanted me more, and I think that’s where I should be.’ ”

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/vahe-gregorian/article32802171.html#storylink=cpy

It seems to me that Chip just didn't do enough to make Maclin feel wanted, not necessarily monetarily but just on a personal level. It comes down to having a good relationship with your players, which is something that Chip seems to really struggle with. Reid on the other hand was great with that.

Godslay

Banned
cowboys are going to upset the panthers. they upset the colts (w/ manning/harrison/maybe james too) when they were looking to go undefeated and they did it to the Saints when they were undefeated (i think). They have a knack for winning games they shouldnt and shitty the best the rest of the season.

Yea? No.

Both of those teams went on to win the Superbowl.

Cowboy/Romo are King Makers.

Yeah, at least Ricky Waters had the decency to run out of bounds standing up to avoid contact.

Yankee I just looked it up in the rulebook. The language about sliding and where the ball is spotted for a slide is applicable to everyone, not just qbs.

Rule 7, section 2, art.2(d)

That is surprising. The refs messed that up for sure. I swear I have seen players slide into the endzone and get credit for the TD.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/vahe-gregorian/article32802171.html#storylink=cpy

It seems to me that Chip just didn't do enough to make Maclin feel wanted, not necessarily monetarily but just on a personal level. It comes down to having a good relationship with your players, which is something that Chip seems to really struggle with. Reid on the other hand was great with that.

The article you posted says that the Eagles matched the Chiefs offer and he still picked the Chiefs. The idea that Chip needed to coddle him more is laughable. The fact that the Eagles were willing to pay him $10m a year should have told him that they wanted to keep him.

Hindl

There was something about his stepdad saying he wanted to come home, but what you said definitely is a part of it too. Chip just seems so aloof and unable to connect to players, and that's what they need. He's the exact opposite of Andy. Andy would throw himself under the bus (too much toward the end) and rarely criticized players. Chip always just talks about execution, which could be seen as an indirect slight to the players for not playing well enough. Chip seems like he's trying to build the same culture that Belichick has, all business, do your job, anyone is expendable. But he's not on the level of Belichick, and he isn't having anywhere near the same success. And when you don't have success, the distance you feel from your coach probably becomes bigger.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I'm still salty but now all I want is Deacon to confirm how he became a Leafs fan.

This is all I have left in this thread right now...

Well that and my beautiful hair.

levious

That is surprising. The refs messed that up for sure. I swear I have seen players slide into the endzone and get credit for the TD.

Not sure how recent the langauge is. Definitely not new this year since it is not red lined. Not sure if they keep an archive of previous years langauge.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
I'm still salty but now all I want is Deacon to confirm how he became a Leafs fan.

This is all I have left in this thread right now...

Well that and my beautiful hair.

You truly are beautiful. No one here can ever take that away from you.

Top Bottom